Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ankit

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby ankit » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

sanguar wrote:
NZA wrote:So excited that I can now legitly post here and ask questions that are not so hypothetical, now.

In any case, I have to ask, because I skimmed through the thread and never saw this question...what is the best cafe? Who pulls the best shot of espresso?

Seriously interested in the answer to this question.

Comet Coffee without a doubt. http://www.yelp.com/biz/comet-coffee-ann-arbor

They also have amazing drip coffees. Just know that they're very aware of how good their coffee is. Expect some hipster arrogance when you enter that place.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:26 pm

In terms of value and convenience, Lexis and Westlaw serve up the best coffee. It's free and in the law school hallway.

ankit

Postby ankit » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Reinhardt wrote:In terms of value and convenience, Lexis and Westlaw serve up the best coffee. It's free and in the law school hallway.

You would :)

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 pm

ankit wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:In terms of value and convenience, Lexis and Westlaw serve up the best coffee. It's free and in the law school hallway.

You would :)

Eh...I think their coffee tastes burnt.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:57 pm

ankit wrote:
sanguar wrote:
NZA wrote:So excited that I can now legitly post here and ask questions that are not so hypothetical, now.

In any case, I have to ask, because I skimmed through the thread and never saw this question...what is the best cafe? Who pulls the best shot of espresso?

They also have amazing drip coffees. Just know that they're very aware of how good their coffee is. Expect some hipster arrogance when you enter that place.

Comet is great and I'm not doubting their barista skills. However, other good places that deserve some attention are Lab (only place in AA with Intelligensia coffee) and Common Cup (very, VERY underrated coffee joint in a Lutheran church on Washtenaw... seriously, they have some skilled people there). But yeah, for consistency, please go to Comet.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:34 am

Going to ASW 1. Are people still wearing winter coats up there or will I look silly with one? Should I just wear a jacket and layer?

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:41 am

dabbadon8 wrote:Going to ASW 1. Are people still wearing winter coats up there or will I look silly with one? Should I just wear a jacket and layer?

Is this a serious question?
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/f ... nday/48109

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:56 am

Joan Hollaway wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Going to ASW 1. Are people still wearing winter coats up there or will I look silly with one? Should I just wear a jacket and layer?

I am from florida and don't really know how to dress for the cold. So yes kind of...

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:

I am from florida and don't really know how to dress for the cold. So yes kind of...

Haha sorry, I'm bitter about the fact that I've been wearing a winter coat since November and about the fact that there has been snow on the ground continuously since then.
TL;DR: Yes, bring a winter coat.

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:

Haha sorry, I'm bitter about the fact that I've been wearing a winter coat since November and about the fact that there has been snow on the ground continuously since then.
TL;DR: Yes, bring a winter coat.

I'm sorry but I am from California and my Winter vocabulary is limited. What exactly is a "Winter Coat" ? Are we talking like peacoat or ski jacket?

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:17 pm

JTMan wrote:
I'm sorry but I am from California and my Winter vocabulary is limited. What exactly is a "Winter Coat" ? Are we talking like peacoat or ski jacket?

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... tionId=67B

I've been rocking this but I also get cold really easily. Sweater + Scarf + Peacoat should be fine.
Last edited by Joan Hollaway on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm

JTMan wrote:

As a lifelong Michigander, this conversation is blowing my mind.

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 pm

dcwumpus wrote:
JTMan wrote:

Hahah sorry, our definition of "winter coat" is like a leather jacket. Ski coats are for skiing. Peacoats serve no function but look cute.

michigan_man

Postby michigan_man » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm

JTMan wrote:I'm sorry but I am from California and my Winter vocabulary is limited. What exactly is a "Winter Coat" ? Are we talking like peacoat or ski jacket?

I'm also from CA so I know what you mean about Winter vocab. Last year I bought a new jacket for preview weekend because I didn't own anything warm enough. It ended up being 25 degrees at night, and I was freezing. Should be about the same when you arrive, so dress warm. Layers are also good, especially at the Phid House party, because people will be dancing/sweating and then stepping out to the porch in the freezing night. Bring a beanie and gloves if your hands get cold.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

JTMan wrote:
dcwumpus wrote:
JTMan wrote:

Hahah sorry, our definition of "winter coat" is like a leather jacket. Ski coats are for skiing. Peacoats serve no function but look cute.

For what it's worth, I've worn a peacoat nearly every day this winter except for maybe three when it was snowing heavily. And I'm from California as well. You should be fine with that, but I'd bring long sleeve shirts to wear underneath it, and a beanie will make a substantial difference to how warm you stay when you're outside.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

ankit wrote:
sanguar wrote:

:lol: I'm from Seattle. Believe when I say I can deal with pretentious coffee snobs. But thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out during ASW II.

ETA: Thanks to you, too, Verdandi! :) Missed your post the first time around...

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:01 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I did a quick scan through the thread and didn't see anything. Has anyone had experience (good/bad/ugly) with any of Michigan's coops? I have a lot of group housing experience and I like living with other people, so it sounds like an appealing option. Plus, rent is relatively cheap and also includes all food/utilities. I'm just worried about how much of a hassle it might be to maintain a law student's study schedule while living with a bunch of other people. It looks like some of the houses are more geared towards grad students, so that might be a good option. Anywho, anyone's advice/experiences would be much appreciated!

While I don't live in a coop myself, I know a few people who do and they sing their praises. They're at the more grad student oriented ones, which seem to be more understanding of a law student's schedule. If you're used to living with groups I'd say go for it; if it comes to it you can always study in the library.

When it comes to coffee, Comet is nice but I'm too cheap for them on a regular basis. I like Biggby because their large costs the same as everyone else but is 24 oz instead of 20 oz. I only really drink plain coffee or red eyes if I need the caffeine, though, so ymmv.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 pm

So what are people's thoughts on the Phid house? I asked a while ago but got a (hopefully) joking answer. It looks pretty cool but what do other Michigan students think about it?

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:10 pm

AreJay711 wrote:So what are people's thoughts on the Phid house? I asked a while ago but got a (hopefully) joking answer. It looks pretty cool but what do other Michigan students think about it?

I tried to warn you but you just won't listen....

:wink:

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

AreJay711 wrote:So what are people's thoughts on the Phid house? I asked a while ago but got a (hopefully) joking answer. It looks pretty cool but what do other Michigan students think about it?

You have to visit and see if it's for you. I think the Phid house is kind of crummy. But, the people I know who live there love it, and the rent can't be beat (it's like $400/month).

Personally, choosing the LC over an off-campus apartment was one of the best decisions I made last year. Your commute to class is a two minute walk across the quad, you get to meet a lot of people who aren't in your section, and you don't have to worry about summer subletting.

The downsides to the LC: the dining hall food can get repetitive, shared bathrooms, not having your own kitchen, and more expensive than an off-campus apt (and especially Phid).

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:25 pm

existenz wrote:

You have to visit and see if it's for you. I think the Phid house is kind of crummy. But, the people I know who live there love it, and the rent can't be beat (it's like $400/month).

Personally, choosing the LC over an off-campus apartment was one of the best decisions I made last year. Your commute to class is a two minute walk across the quad, you get to meet a lot of people who aren't in your section, and you don't have to worry about summer subletting.

The downsides to the LC: the dining hall food can get repetitive, shared bathrooms, not having your own kitchen, and more expensive than an off-campus apt (and especially Phid).

Thanks. I definitely think I will be living in the LC (if not the the Phid house) my first year after hearing all the good things people have said about it.

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:48 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:

Seriously, you have me freaked out about this hazing business, hahaha. Are you for real or no?

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:20 pm

thalassocrat wrote:When it comes to coffee, Comet is nice but I'm too cheap for them on a regular basis. I like Biggby because their large costs the same as everyone else but is 24 oz instead of 20 oz. I only really drink plain coffee or red eyes if I need the caffeine, though, so ymmv.

Added another cafe to my list...I usually drink an americano, but get a drip if I'm on the run. :) What's a red eyes?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:26 pm

NZA wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:When it comes to coffee, Comet is nice but I'm too cheap for them on a regular basis. I like Biggby because their large costs the same as everyone else but is 24 oz instead of 20 oz. I only really drink plain coffee or red eyes if I need the caffeine, though, so ymmv.

Added another cafe to my list...I usually drink an americano, but get a drip if I'm on the run. :) What's a red eyes?

Drip coffee with a shot of espresso dropped in.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:51 pm

JTMan wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

Seriously, you have me freaked out about this hazing business, hahaha. Are you for real or no?

I am only for real if you are planning on applying to live there....

But seriously no I am sure there is little to no hazing from a professional fraternity lol.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”