Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lisjjen

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Oh. A question about matching. I got 70k from UT.

If I was dumb enough to think they'd match that, then Dean Z should be fired for letting me in. I'm just wondering if I could get a nibble for it.
Last edited by lisjjen on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 pm

blowhard wrote:I still can't view the list but a few thoughts which may have an impact:
- A surprising number of people here don't want BigLaw and sit out OCI.
- There was a fiasco last year with career services encouraging people to bid on Chicago so that market ended up saturated and a lot of people ended up without offers.
- A surprising number of people want secondary markets where big firms aren't located.

I agree completely with Blowhard and don't think he's sugarcoating anything, but the other side is, before coming here, you should think long and hard about what the worst-case scenario is and how you'd handle it.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
blowhard wrote:I still can't view the list but a few thoughts which may have an impact:
- A surprising number of people here don't want BigLaw and sit out OCI.
- There was a fiasco last year with career services encouraging people to bid on Chicago so that market ended up saturated and a lot of people ended up without offers.
- A surprising number of people want secondary markets where big firms aren't located.

I agree completely with Blowhard and don't think he's sugarcoating anything, but the other side is, before coming here, you should think long and hard about what the worst-case scenario is and how you'd handle it.

I have. Go to Boise, ID and use my undergrad networking to get into one of several midlaw firms there. That or pull AA because it's the whitest place on the planet.

It's not pretty, but it's the Apocalypse out there. Sometimes you have to do things that aren't pretty.

ETA: That's the absolute worst case scenario. I have more faith in my own competence and the UMich career services office than that.

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Any feedback on Sterling 411 Lofts? Thanks

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

lisjjen wrote:Oh. A question about matching. I got 70k from UT.

If I was dumb enough to think they'd match that, then Dean Z should be fired for letting me in. I'm just wondering if I could get a nibble for it.

Depends on if you have a scholarship offer from Michigan yet. If you don't, you could try to use the 70k from UT to get an offer from Michigan (although they won't match the 70k). If you do already have a scholarship offer from Michigan, they don't increase the initial offer.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:45 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:

Depends on if you have a scholarship offer from Michigan yet. If you don't, you could try to use the 70k from UT to get an offer from Michigan (although they won't match the 70k). If you do already have a scholarship offer from Michigan, they don't increase the initial offer.

Is that written in stone? I plan on trying anyway, but if that's what someone else was told it would be disheartening.

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:29 am

My wife and I are looking for a two-bedroom condo very close to campus, preferably toward the south-east (I've heard that that's the quieter part of town). Any recommendations?

Also, if a 0L is particularly interested in having a specific professor for legal writing, is it possible to get placed in that section?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 am

die Zauberflote wrote:My wife and I are looking for a two-bedroom condo very close to campus, preferably toward the south-east (I've heard that that's the quieter part of town). Any recommendations?

Also, if a 0L is particularly interested in having a specific professor for legal writing, is it possible to get placed in that section?

I live in Harbor House and like it. It's a bit outside the city but 5-10 minutes on the bus. Woodbury is also possible.

Uh, you can't really pick your section. And a legal writing professor would be weird to switch for anyhow. I could see wanted Primus for Con Law or White for Ks...but legal writing?

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

blowhard wrote:I live in Harbor House and like it. It's a bit outside the city but 5-10 minutes on the bus. Woodbury is also possible.

Are there certain neighborhoods or areas that families gravitate toward, more "mature" areas? I received a vague suggestion to "live in south-east Ann Arbor," is this the nice part of town? Other things I've read indicate that all of Ann Arbor is nice.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:12 pm

die Zauberflote wrote:
blowhard wrote:I live in Harbor House and like it. It's a bit outside the city but 5-10 minutes on the bus. Woodbury is also possible.

Are there certain neighborhoods or areas that families gravitate toward, more "mature" areas? I received a vague suggestion to "live in south-east Ann Arbor," is this the nice part of town? Other things I've read indicate that all of Ann Arbor is nice.

All of AA is pretty nice. No really bad spots. Apartments downtown tend to be older/smaller without things like dishwashers and generally no/small yards. The areas right around campus but outside of town tend to be pretty undergraddy...hence people living in Harbor House, Woodbury, etc. These complexes tend not to rent to undergrads at all. From my observations of Woodbury, Harbor house is a little quieter but both are nice.

Edit: Lake village is also very nice...newer and if you can get the back corner you can walk to the #36 bus that picks up at the tennis courts and runs every 9 minutes. (I take this bus but drive around to the free park and ride vs. walking the .5 mile in the snow.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm

blowhard wrote:
die Zauberflote wrote:

All of AA is pretty nice. No really bad spots. Apartments downtown tend to be older/smaller without things like dishwashers and generally no/small yards. The areas right around campus but outside of town tend to be pretty undergraddy...hence people living in Harbor House, Woodbury, etc. These complexes tend not to rent to undergrads at all. From my observations of Woodbury, Harbor house is a little quieter but both are nice.

Edit: Lake village is also very nice...newer and if you can get the back corner you can walk to the #36 bus that picks up at the tennis courts and runs every 9 minutes. (I take this bus but drive around to the free park and ride vs. walking the .5 mile in the snow.

Are there really no areas one should avoid living? I found a potential apartment with very very cheap rent; I'm wondering if the development is a slum or something.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:11 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:

Is that written in stone? I plan on trying anyway, but if that's what someone else was told it would be disheartening.

Bump. Can anyone confirm or deny that Michigan does not negotiate initial scholly offers?

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:42 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:

Bump. Can anyone confirm or deny that Michigan does not negotiate initial scholly offers?

That's the official policy (as I think they say on the scholarship letter). However, you have nothing lose in trying - just be respectful (and honest) and see if they can do anything for you. I do know of one person who was able to negotiate after being given an offer.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:

Unless things have changed, the scholarship letter itself should say something about no negotiating for more money. The official policy is that they won't increase an award once it has been made. That being said, it can't hurt to try. I tried last year and was very politely told no.

Oh, and for those asking about apartments, +1 for Woodbury Gardens.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:Depends on if you have a scholarship offer from Michigan yet. If you don't, you could try to use the 70k from UT to get an offer from Michigan (although they won't match the 70k). If you do already have a scholarship offer from Michigan, they don't increase the initial offer.

Unless things have changed, the scholarship letter itself should say something about no negotiating for more money. The official policy is that they won't increase an award once it has been made. That being said, it can't hurt to try. I tried last year and was very politely told no.

Oh, and for those asking about apartments, +1 for Woodbury Gardens.

Hmm, my award showed up on the accepted students website, but I haven't seen a letter yet (nor does one show up under my planned mailings). I'll just have to wait and see.

colorando

Postby colorando » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:00 am

Can any current students comment on dual degrees at michigan, specifically the JD/MS in Natural Resources? Figured it would be really valuable working in any kind of environmental law.

Also are people able to complete these 4 year degree in 3.5 years if they come in with a little bit of credit for the Masters? I called the office and they said they accept up to 6 credits from another school. I was thinking of EDing to michigan for the summer term with those 6 credits in my back pocket and graduating with my class with the MS (after taking a 7th semester).

Any current students think this is possible? and if so is it a terrible idea? My main priority is law, but it would be great to get an MS that would open the door down the road for me in environmental litigation or the like. and graduating in December after EDing just seems akward

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:04 am

buckilaw wrote:
blowhard wrote:
die Zauberflote wrote:

Are there really no areas one should avoid living? I found a potential apartment with very very cheap rent; I'm wondering if the development is a slum or something.

PM me the address. There are some areas in the undergraddy parts I wouldn't live but it's not like it's Harlem in the 90s...

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 am

colorando wrote:Can any current students comment on dual degrees at michigan, specifically the JD/MS in Natural Resources? Figured it would be really valuable working in any kind of environmental law.

Also are people able to complete these 4 year degree in 3.5 years if they come in with a little bit of credit for the Masters? I called the office and they said they accept up to 6 credits from another school. I was thinking of EDing to michigan for the summer term with those 6 credits in my back pocket and graduating with my class with the MS (after taking a 7th semester).

Any current students think this is possible? and if so is it a terrible idea? My main priority is law, but it would be great to get an MS that would open the door down the road for me in environmental litigation or the like. and graduating in December after EDing just seems akward

Eh, What's the difference in the debt load? If it's going to add a lot of debt...maybe not worth it.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Can anyone confirm or deny that Michigan does not negotiate initial scholly offers?

They will, but you had better have a strong competing offer. For example, if you were offered a small-ish scholarship from Mich ($0, $30k, maybe $45k) and you have a substantially higher offer from another T14 (and maybe UCLA or Texas) then they might bump it up a bit. I know people who pulled it off. It does not hurt to ask.

Last cycle UCLA offered me $8k a year more than Michigan, and Michigan wouldn't budge on their offer. If UCLA was offering, say, $15k a year more? Might have been a different story.
Last edited by existenz on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soda Mixer

Postby Soda Mixer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Like a lot of summer starters, I'm beginning to research housing options in AA. However, I'm not entirely sure what my budget should be.

For the purposes of financial aid, is the summer term considered the same as the other two semesters? For example, if the student budget allows for $17,000 in living expenses each year, would we receive $8,500 for the summer, or would it be prorated down due to the shortened term?

Sorry for the convoluted question, but I'd greatly appreciate it if a summer start alum could answer. Thanks in advance!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Soda Mixer wrote:Like a lot of summer starters, I'm beginning to research housing options in AA. However, I'm not entirely sure what my budget should be.

For the purposes of financial aid, is the summer term considered the same as the other two semesters? For example, if the student budget allows for $17,000 in living expenses each year, would we receive $8,500 for the summer, or would it be prorated down due to the shortened term?

Sorry for the convoluted question, but I'd greatly appreciate it if a summer start alum could answer. Thanks in advance!

I have the same question. Also, what is the typical markdown on a summer sublet from the normal rent? Thanks for any input.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Soda Mixer wrote:Like a lot of summer starters, I'm beginning to research housing options in AA. However, I'm not entirely sure what my budget should be.

I have the same question. Also, what is the typical markdown on a summer sublet from the normal rent? Thanks for any input.

Don't know about the budget stuff since I'm not a summer starter but I can tell you that the sublet prices are much lower than normal rent. You can easily get an apt for the summer for $500/month whose regular price is $800+/month. You get a pretty sweet deal if you sublet in the summer and then move into the LC in late August.

GroppyGroundhog

Postby GroppyGroundhog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:17 am

I was a summer starter. I paid $250 a month for a room with a private bathroom in a house during the summer (and moved into an apartment in late August) and I think around $10-15 a month for utilities. There was free laundry in the basement (as in not coin-operated) and parking. I found it online through one of the leasing company websites. The normal rent for the room during the year was $500 a month. Based off that, and lawopen emails regarding subletting, I think you can get a place for about 50% of its normal price.

I think the amount was prorated, but I'm not sure.

If you want to sublease from other law students, I believe the law school will also send out a publication for summer subleases sometime later this month or early April. (The deadline for submitting our apartment information was yesterday.) As mentioned earlier, based off lawopen emails, and in my experience, many students are offering their place for much lower than what they pay.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I did a quick scan through the thread and didn't see anything. Has anyone had experience (good/bad/ugly) with any of Michigan's coops? I have a lot of group housing experience and I like living with other people, so it sounds like an appealing option. Plus, rent is relatively cheap and also includes all food/utilities. I'm just worried about how much of a hassle it might be to maintain a law student's study schedule while living with a bunch of other people. It looks like some of the houses are more geared towards grad students, so that might be a good option. Anywho, anyone's advice/experiences would be much appreciated!

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 pm

NZA wrote:So excited that I can now legitly post here and ask questions that are not so hypothetical, now.

In any case, I have to ask, because I skimmed through the thread and never saw this question...what is the best cafe? Who pulls the best shot of espresso?

Seriously interested in the answer to this question.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”