Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TheStrand
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby TheStrand » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:39 pm

blowhard wrote:You can't be both vast and a minority? :lol:

Lies. The Innuit have a known problem with obesity.

JTMan
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JTMan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:07 pm

tamlyric wrote:
JTMan wrote:OR...any Environmental Law students available to discuss their experience/professors? I want to know who I should be aiming to speak with during ASW.


David Uhlmann


Thanks!

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Can anyone comment on the best/cheapest way to travel between Detroit Metro Int'l Airport (DTW) and Ann Arbor?

The Accepted Students Website mentions one shuttle service that charges $40 one way or $65 round trip, but would it be cheaper if two people split a cab? Thanks in advance.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:00 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Can anyone comment on the best/cheapest way to travel between Detroit Metro Int'l Airport (DTW) and Ann Arbor?

The Accepted Students Website mentions one shuttle service that charges $40 one way or $65 round trip, but would it be cheaper if two people split a cab? Thanks in advance.


I'm not sure of prices as I own a car now and rented a car during ASW to look at apartments. I know a lot of people coordinated on here last year and shared a cab. According to this: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Detroit it's about $75 one way by taxi but I have no idea if it's accurate or not.

Check out the Michigan Flyer. It looks to be about $30 round trip to the Sheraton. A cab from there to downtown would be ~$5-10.

bannanagram
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby bannanagram » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:50 pm

blowhard wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Can anyone comment on the best/cheapest way to travel between Detroit Metro Int'l Airport (DTW) and Ann Arbor?

Check out the Michigan Flyer. It looks to be about $30 round trip to the Sheraton. A cab from there to downtown would be ~$5-10.


I second the Flyer. It's cheap and was on time and clean when I took it. I think it even has free wi-fi. The number of odd/sketchy characters was at a minimum.

whizbang
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby whizbang » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 am

Are there any Indian food restaurants within walking distance from the Lawyer's Club?

Also, are there any books on writing law school essays worth reading? I would definitely want to make that investment.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!

*also, made my Michigan email today. eeeeeeeeee!!!

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby math101 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 pm

A question that isn't entirely particular to Michigan:

I've been browsing some of the 'Succeed at Law School' articles here on TLS, and the posters mention using old outlines to create your own. Reading that, I just wondered, how do 1Ls go about getting old outlines from other students? Are they just available online or something?

(Sorry if this is a totally ignorant question.)

colorando
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby colorando » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:09 pm

a little while back a few people asked questions about the Public interest community/oppurtunities at the school/ general vibe.

Can anyone comment on this? I dont think that the question was every answered.

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Can anyone comment on the best/cheapest way to travel between Detroit Metro Int'l Airport (DTW) and Ann Arbor?

The Accepted Students Website mentions one shuttle service that charges $40 one way or $65 round trip, but would it be cheaper if two people split a cab? Thanks in advance.


The shuttle service is annarborairportshuttle.net; they're fairly reliable and if you're splitting the ride with other travelers it can be fairly cheap. Haven't used Michigan Flyer myself but I've heard good things, as others said.

@whizbang There are a few Indian restaurants around within reasonable walking distance; someone else will have to give names as I'm not a big fan of Indian food. I just know they're out there. For the books, Getting to Maybe seems to be the gold standard though I never read it myself.

@math101 You'll have your First-Year Information (FYI) leaders, who are 2L/3L mentors for your small section. Between them they've usually had all of your professors and either have outlines themselves or know who will. Student organizations will often have outline banks for their members. You can also just send out an email on the law school's listserv (though this seems to be more common for classes 2L/3L year) or get them in other random ways; this semester the girl who sold me my Torts casebook also gave me her old outlines once she found out I had the same professor.

@colorando I think there's a pretty good public interest community here. There are a number of student groups devoted to pro bono work, including family law, unemployment law, some international public interest stuff, and others I'm forgetting atm. I've heard the Office of Public Service can be less than helpful at times, depending on how much you know or how much of a plan you already have. I've never visited them myself, so idk.

User avatar
wolverine6
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby wolverine6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 pm

whizbang wrote:Are there any Indian food restaurants within walking distance from the Lawyer's Club?


Raja Rani and Madras Masala are both in walking distance, and both very good. Shalimar, on Main Street, is a few blocks farther, and a bit more pricey, but also very good.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby buckilaw » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:37 pm

math101 wrote:A question that isn't entirely particular to Michigan:

I've been browsing some of the 'Succeed at Law School' articles here on TLS, and the posters mention using old outlines to create your own. Reading that, I just wondered, how do 1Ls go about getting old outlines from other students? Are they just available online or something?

(Sorry if this is a totally ignorant question.)


Bump

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby GMVarun » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:08 pm

buckilaw wrote:
math101 wrote:A question that isn't entirely particular to Michigan:

I've been browsing some of the 'Succeed at Law School' articles here on TLS, and the posters mention using old outlines to create your own. Reading that, I just wondered, how do 1Ls go about getting old outlines from other students? Are they just available online or something?

(Sorry if this is a totally ignorant question.)


Bump


This is not really something 0Ls need to worry about, but honestly you will get access to more outlines than you can possibly want. A lot of organizations have outline banks that you can get access to as members (APALSA's google database is pretty big), you are put into orientation groups (FYI) and FYI leaders will send you outlines unsolicited, and of course you can ask upper-classmates.

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:22 pm

I posted this in the Acceptance, Denials, and Waitlists forum but it hasn't received a response yet...

Yesterday a $10K Dean's Scholarship showed up under my financial aid page on the accepted students website. It listed the award as being for 2012. Is it safe to assume that this is a yearly $10K award, in essence a $30K scholarship?

User avatar
JetstoRJC
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JetstoRJC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:52 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:I posted this in the Acceptance, Denials, and Waitlists forum but it hasn't received a response yet...

Yesterday a $10K Dean's Scholarship showed up under my financial aid page on the accepted students website. It listed the award as being for 2012. Is it safe to assume that this is a yearly $10K award, in essence a $30K scholarship?


Yes, the 10K is per year. So 30K total. Congrats

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Hey, any idea how competitive the Phid house is? It looks like a cool place to live and I've been working on the app.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:02 am

AreJay711 wrote:Hey, any idea how competitive the Phid house is? It looks like a cool place to live and I've been working on the app.


I don't know but I hear it is terrible to live there. Real bad, like they haze you by making you go to class in buckeye gear, making you streak across the law quad in january, and putting laxatives in your breakfast before finals and all other manner of terrible things. I wouldn't apply there if I were you. In fact I propose a boycott of the phid house and their mean and terrible practices. No one apply! If you do, then you don't believe in justice and the terrorists win!

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:05 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Hey, any idea how competitive the Phid house is? It looks like a cool place to live and I've been working on the app.


I don't know but I hear it is terrible to live there. Real bad, like they haze you by making you go to class in buckeye gear, making you streak across the law quad in january, and putting laxatives in your breakfast before finals and all other manner of terrible things. I wouldn't apply there if I were you. In fact I propose a boycott of the phid house and their mean and terrible practices. No one apply! If you do, then you don't believe in justice and the terrorists win!

Lol you serious or is this a ploy to lessen competition? :lol:

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 am

AreJay711 wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Hey, any idea how competitive the Phid house is? It looks like a cool place to live and I've been working on the app.


I don't know but I hear it is terrible to live there. Real bad, like they haze you by making you go to class in buckeye gear, making you streak across the law quad in january, and putting laxatives in your breakfast before finals and all other manner of terrible things. I wouldn't apply there if I were you. In fact I propose a boycott of the phid house and their mean and terrible practices. No one apply! If you do, then you don't believe in justice and the terrorists win!

Lol you serious or is this a ploy to lessen competition? :lol:


I am completely serious. I am just trying look out for a fellow TLS'er and end an oppressive tradition of hazing 1Ls when they are at their most fragile. Once again this is not a ploy. Did you see what I said? Streaking in January! You could lose a limb or worse! I wouldn't risk it.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby existenz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:31 am

blowhard wrote:According to this: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Detroit it's about $75 one way by taxi but I have no idea if it's accurate or not.

Actually a taxi from DTW to the law school starts at $45. A google search can help you find places with reasonable flat rates. That said, the Michigan Flyer is cheaper if you aren't splitting the cost with anyone. Last year for ASW I was able to split a cab with two other TLSers whose flights were landing at the same time.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Anybody care to discuss the NLJ250 data? UMich took an 8% dive, and that 200k is starting to look scarier and scarier.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 am

lisjjen wrote:Anybody care to discuss the NLJ250 data? UMich took an 8% dive, and that 200k is starting to look scarier and scarier.


Link?

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 am

blowhard wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Anybody care to discuss the NLJ250 data? UMich took an 8% dive, and that 200k is starting to look scarier and scarier.


Link?


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:49 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Anybody care to discuss the NLJ250 data? UMich took an 8% dive, and that 200k is starting to look scarier and scarier.


Link?


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674


Unless I'm retarded, that's a story about the list but I don't see the list itself. Perhaps it's supposed to be where it says "Access Denied"?

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby NZA » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:55 am

So excited that I can now legitly post here and ask questions that are not so hypothetical, now.

In any case, I have to ask, because I skimmed through the thread and never saw this question...what is the best cafe? Who pulls the best shot of espresso?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:41 am

blowhard wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Anybody care to discuss the NLJ250 data? UMich took an 8% dive, and that 200k is starting to look scarier and scarier.


Link?


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674


Unless I'm retarded, that's a story about the list but I don't see the list itself. Perhaps it's supposed to be where it says "Access Denied"?


I still can't view the list but a few thoughts which may have an impact:
- A surprising number of people here don't want BigLaw and sit out OCI.
- There was a fiasco last year with career services encouraging people to bid on Chicago so that market ended up saturated and a lot of people ended up without offers.
- A surprising number of people want secondary markets where big firms aren't located.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest