Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
mich 13 wrote:
blowhard wrote:They are peer schools are are indistinguishable in most of your criteria. I'd visit both and see which one clicks more. Personally, I found the students at Michigan to be way less douchey than at UVA. Both UVA and Michigan place extremely well in DC. If you think you may ever move around, Michigan has a larger alumni base throughout the nation for the most part. (Most of your grads spread out...so there are alumni in NYC, DC, Chicago, LA, Portland, Miami, etc.

Also, don't let the brochures fool you. Ending up in Gov, regulation or policy is more of a factor of what courses you take, where you intern, your previous experiences, etc.

Totally agree. If you have your eye on a certain kind of government employment the most important think you can do is intern at an appropriate place during your summers and do a clinic, externship, or pro bono with a similar kind of place. Being an hour and a half drive from DC during the school year isn't going to help. I really liked all the people I met at Michigan. Visit as many schools as you can and really take the time to watch a class or two and see how people interact. See where people look the happiest. You will get a better feel from that than what anyone on a message board can tell you.

That's fair. I appreciate the input. I'm coming to Michigan for Preview Weekend next month so that will be my one opportunity to check out the school for a few days. Do you think it's possible to get the same kind of feel for the school on Preview Weekend as you would from sitting in on classes and interacting with students on a normal day at the law school, or is PW really a unique experience?

PW is fine if you make the effort. Talk to students walking around, etc. I wouldn't rely on just what is shown to you during the admission office events. You'll be sitting in on my torts class I believe, so you'll get to see us interact some then.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:21 pm

blowhard wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:That's fair. I appreciate the input. I'm coming to Michigan for Preview Weekend next month so that will be my one opportunity to check out the school for a few days. Do you think it's possible to get the same kind of feel for the school on Preview Weekend as you would from sitting in on classes and interacting with students on a normal day at the law school, or is PW really a unique experience?

PW is fine if you make the effort. Talk to students walking around, etc. I wouldn't rely on just what is shown to you during the admission office events. You'll be sitting in on my torts class I believe, so you'll get to see us interact some then.

Actually on Friday 3/11 the schedule lists Property Law with Eilen Katz at 10:40. On Saturday we have a "Torts Deconstructed" mock class with Sherman Clark. I'm not sure if they split up the preview students into different groups and send them to different classes though.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:32 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Actually on Friday 3/11 the schedule lists Property Law with Eilen Katz at 10:40. On Saturday we have a "Torts Deconstructed" mock class with Sherman Clark. I'm not sure if they split up the preview students into different groups and send them to different classes though.

Warning: Sherman Clark will cold call one (or more) of you on the mock torts problem. He's super nice about it, but if you want to save face, I'd recommend spending a few minutes to read the practice problem distributed at the beginning of the weekend. I actually really liked the class because it gave the experience a very authentic flavor :-)

Preview weekends are awesome - I hope you all make it out!

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:49 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
blowhard wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:That's fair. I appreciate the input. I'm coming to Michigan for Preview Weekend next month so that will be my one opportunity to check out the school for a few days. Do you think it's possible to get the same kind of feel for the school on Preview Weekend as you would from sitting in on classes and interacting with students on a normal day at the law school, or is PW really a unique experience?

Actually on Friday 3/11 the schedule lists Property Law with Eilen Katz at 10:40. On Saturday we have a "Torts Deconstructed" mock class with Sherman Clark. I'm not sure if they split up the preview students into different groups and send them to different classes though.

You're in my property class then. Thought it was torts.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:32 pm

verdandi wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Actually on Friday 3/11 the schedule lists Property Law with Eilen Katz at 10:40. On Saturday we have a "Torts Deconstructed" mock class with Sherman Clark. I'm not sure if they split up the preview students into different groups and send them to different classes though.

Warning: Sherman Clark will cold call one (or more) of you on the mock torts problem. He's super nice about it, but if you want to save face, I'd recommend spending a few minutes to read the practice problem distributed at the beginning of the weekend. I actually really liked the class because it gave the experience a very authentic flavor :-)

If this is serious, then I love Michigan even more than before.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Anyone in here have the 10:40 AM Monday Civil Procedure class with Professor Bagley?

What are your thoughts?

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:59 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Anyone in here have the 10:40 AM Monday Civil Procedure class with Professor Bagley?

What are your thoughts?

I have him. Civ. Pro has not been my favorite subject in the world, but I have enjoyed his class. He is an entertaining professor. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Now the room we meet in is another story. Between the construction right outside the window and the heater/sauna, some days are tough.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
verdandi wrote:

If this is serious, then I love Michigan even more than before.

From the Preview Schedule, March 10-12: "One of Michigan's most beloved profs explains the Socratic method, michigan-style, through show & tell. Reading assignment is included in the folder you received at registration; someone WILL be called on." I thought it was pretty badass too...

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Anyone in here have the 10:40 AM Monday Civil Procedure class with Professor Bagley?

What are your thoughts?

I have him. Civ. Pro has not been my favorite subject in the world, but I have enjoyed his class. He is an entertaining professor. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Now the room we meet in is another story. Between the construction right outside the window and the heater/sauna, some days are tough.

Just wanted to ask you to say hi to me on Monday.

whizbang

Postby whizbang » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:38 am

Hey,
I am a vegetarian and eat almost all local-organic; how vegetarian-friendly and healthy is the meal-plan food in the LC? It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I did want to get a good idea of what I'm in for seeing as there isn't a kitchen I can use myself!

I know this is sort of a weird question, but how many suits should one own in order to get through law school (including summer internships, ect.)??? Do students dress pretty casually for class or is something a little more professional expected?

*Bonus anecdote: I work in a really nice Italian restaurant in California. A few days ago some random, distinguished-looking gentleman introduced himself and shook my hand, and I spotted the Michigan "M" on the twelve spot. I said, "Hey, I'm going to grad school at Michigan this fall!" and, without any hesitation or regard for the relatively subdued atmosphere, he threw up his hands and yelled "GO BLUE!" He then proceeded to give me his email address and offer to answer any questions I had about the school or Ann Arbor. I am so pumped!

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:01 pm

whizbang wrote:Hey,
I am a vegetarian and eat almost all local-organic; how vegetarian-friendly and healthy is the meal-plan food in the LC? It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I did want to get a good idea of what I'm in for seeing as there isn't a kitchen I can use myself!

I know this is sort of a weird question, but how many suits should one own in order to get through law school (including summer internships, ect.)??? Do students dress pretty casually for class or is something a little more professional expected?

*Bonus anecdote: I work in a really nice Italian restaurant in California. A few days ago some random, distinguished-looking gentleman introduced himself and shook my hand, and I spotted the Michigan "M" on the twelve spot. I said, "Hey, I'm going to grad school at Michigan this fall!" and, without any hesitation or regard for the relatively subdued atmosphere, he threw up his hands and yelled "GO BLUE!" He then proceeded to give me his email address and offer to answer any questions I had about the school or Ann Arbor. I am so pumped!

Haha that's awesome. School spirit FTW.

About the food question, I have no more first-hand info than you do, but I've been stalking this thread for a while and the commentary from Michigan students on the LC food seems to be: Vegetarians can get by. Apparently the salad bar is decent to good. But from what I've heard, I don't get the impression that the food is largely organic or local.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
whizbang wrote:Hey,

Haha that's awesome. School spirit FTW.

About the food question, I have no more first-hand info than you do, but I've been stalking this thread for a while and the commentary from Michigan students on the LC food seems to be: Vegetarians can get by. Apparently the salad bar is decent to good. But from what I've heard, I don't get the impression that the food is largely organic or local.

Yea, I think vegetarians can usually get by. They mark all the vegetarian options on the weekly menu, and there is of course the salad bar. I think they also try to buy local when they can, but I'm not sure how much effort they actually put into it. Organic, not so much.

As far as dress, I'd think you'd want to have a couple of suits and some business casual options for interviews and random events. Daily class is generally casual; some people dress more nicely than others, but it's all about personal preference. I think most summer internships are usually business casual for your day-to-day stuff, but I don't know for all of them.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:49 am

thalassocrat wrote:
As far as dress, I'd think you'd want to have a couple of suits and some business casual options for interviews and random events. Daily class is generally casual; some people dress more nicely than others, but it's all about personal preference. I think most summer internships are usually business casual for your day-to-day stuff, but I don't know for all of them.

Daily attire ranges from shirt and tie (vast minority) to athletic wear and occasionally what the LC residents slept in for early classes.

A lot of the summer internships I looks at require a suit...though you won't wear the jacket most of the day. (I looked mainly at judges though so maybe my experience is skewed.) Two suits (navy/charcoal) and 4-5 shirts/ties that all go together, and with both suits, will give you a decent number of outfits to wear.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:42 pm

blowhard wrote:Daily attire ranges from shirt and tie (vast minority) to athletic wear and occasionally what the LC residents slept in for early classes.

"Vast minority" gave me a chuckle.

Generally if someone wears a tie to class, it better be because they have an interview or formal event afterwards. Most dress is very casual.

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:14 pm

hey everyone! i am interested in michigan law but not sure i can make the admitted students day to scope it out. my question is shallow but an important one, what is the scene like there? are the boys and girls/men and women cute/hot/geeky/nerdy/shallow/athletic? etc? if i am going to invest the next few years of my early 20s in location X, i wanna make sure there are some cuties ;p

thanks!

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:16 pm

OR...any Environmental Law students available to discuss their experience/professors? I want to know who I should be aiming to speak with during ASW.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 pm

cawquette wrote:hey everyone! i am interested in michigan law but not sure i can make the admitted students day to scope it out. my question is shallow but an important one, what is the scene like there? are the boys and girls/men and women cute/hot/geeky/nerdy/shallow/athletic? etc? if i am going to invest the next few years of my early 20s in location X, i wanna make sure there are some cuties ;p

thanks!

Uh, are you looking for males, females, or both?

There are lots of both.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm

existenz wrote:
blowhard wrote:Daily attire ranges from shirt and tie (vast minority) to athletic wear and occasionally what the LC residents slept in for early classes.

"Vast minority" gave me a chuckle.

Generally if someone wears a tie to class, it better be because they have an interview or formal event afterwards. Most dress is very casual.

You can't be both vast and a minority? :lol:

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:41 pm

blowhard wrote:
cawquette wrote:hey everyone! i am interested in michigan law but not sure i can make the admitted students day to scope it out. my question is shallow but an important one, what is the scene like there? are the boys and girls/men and women cute/hot/geeky/nerdy/shallow/athletic? etc? if i am going to invest the next few years of my early 20s in location X, i wanna make sure there are some cuties ;p

thanks!

There are lots of both.

I think it also depends on whether you are looking to marry well or spread your wild oats.

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:37 pm

blowhard wrote:

thanks!

There are lots of both.

haha, i am a girl and i wanna know if there are cute men to date and what the competition will be like. LOL

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:53 pm

cawquette wrote:
blowhard wrote:

thanks!

There are lots of both.

haha, i am a girl and i wanna know if there are cute men to date and what the competition will be like. LOL

I think a bigger question is, will you have time to date at all?

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:55 pm

kumba84 wrote:I really like Michigan and will probably be choosing between it, NYU and Berkeley. I am sure I want to do environmental law for government/nonprofit. Michigan has a really nice environmental law program but I wonder how my career prospects would be compared to the other two schools. I also got a 45k scholly to Michigan but am not expecting much from the other two (although they both have very good LRAPs). What would you do if you were me? Sorry, that's a hard question...

Second, I am also married and I was wondering what the social situation is like. My husband and I have always had sort of the same group of friends. Do you take him with you when you go out with your LS friends? Or is LS kind of like a club where only the students hang out together and your partner just feels awkward?

i am also pursuing enviro law but will be going to nyu i think! congrats and good luck!

cawquette

Postby cawquette » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 pm

blowhard wrote:
cawquette wrote:
blowhard wrote:

thanks!

There are lots of both.

LOL, a girl has to eat (i.e. dinner dates)

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 pm

blowhard wrote:
cawquette wrote:
blowhard wrote:

thanks!

There are lots of both.

I have plenty of free time when it's not finals season but I don't think dating someone during 1L is a good idea unless its a steady serious relationship. 1L is stressful enough as is, I prefer to spend my free time blowing off steam with my friends. That's could be just me though.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 pm

JTMan wrote:OR...any Environmental Law students available to discuss their experience/professors? I want to know who I should be aiming to speak with during ASW.

David Uhlmann

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”