Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
threewolveshowling

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby threewolveshowling » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 am

When should summer starters begin looking for housing? Any tips on best places to stay, prices we should be expecting, etc.?

Thanks!

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 am

Very serious question here. What is the best place to get a burger/grinder in Ann Arbor?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 am

I don't know what a grinder is, really, though I've heard of it. As for burgers, you have a few options. Right across from the law school (almost) is a place called Quickie Burger. It's open really late, so I think it's mainly drunk food, but you can get a 1 pound burger in there (3 third of a pound patties). There's also a Five Guys that just opened on the same street, a little north of the law school.

The most famous place is Blimpy Burger. I've actually never been in there, but it's been on TV and stuff. Their ordering is kind of Soup Nazi-esque, from what I understand, so that could be another selling point. It's also quite close to the law school (search it on google maps).

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:12 am

Reinhardt wrote:I don't know what a grinder is, really, though I've heard of it. As for burgers, you have a few options. Right across from the law school (almost) is a place called Quickie Burger. It's open really late, so I think it's mainly drunk food, but you can get a 1 pound burger in there (3 third of a pound patties). There's also a Five Guys that just opened on the same street, a little north of the law school.

The most famous place is Blimpy Burger. I've actually never been in there, but it's been on TV and stuff. Their ordering is kind of Soup Nazi-esque, from what I understand, so that could be another selling point. It's also quite close to the law school (search it on google maps).

I saw Blimpy Burger on Man v. Food. I'm definitely paying a visit there during ASW.

Grinder = Sub.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:55 am

threewolveshowling wrote:When should summer starters begin looking for housing? Any tips on best places to stay, prices we should be expecting, etc.?

Thanks!

They are already starting to be advertised. You'll pay less if you wait until the last minute but if you want a primo location and are willing to pay a little more I'd start looking soon.

The #1 criteria for summer...make sure it has air conditioning. At least some of the places downtown don't. It gets hot and humid during the summer here.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 am

buckilaw wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:I don't know what a grinder is, really, though I've heard of it. As for burgers, you have a few options. Right across from the law school (almost) is a place called Quickie Burger. It's open really late, so I think it's mainly drunk food, but you can get a 1 pound burger in there (3 third of a pound patties). There's also a Five Guys that just opened on the same street, a little north of the law school.

I saw Blimpy Burger on Man v. Food. I'm definitely paying a visit there during ASW.

Grinder = Sub.

It's about 2-3 blocks from the law school. Straight down Madison at Packard.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 am

Does anyone know anything about Phid house? I'm considering living there next year and wanted to know a little more about it.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:Does anyone know anything about Phid house? I'm considering living there next year and wanted to know a little more about it.

I know little but if you PM me your e-mail I will forward it to someone I know who lives there. There will also be an open-house during the ASWs.

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 am

Just wondering if anyone had any insight to the Dual Degree Programs...I'm in the energy industry and am looking to get my JD/MS in Natural Resources...specifically:

1. Does it seem worth the extra work/year of tuition

2. When should you apply to the MS program

3. Do the Dual Program people drown in so much work they lose all social capacity/access to sunlight?

4. If you know anything specific/have experience with this program:

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm

JTMan wrote:Just wondering if anyone had any insight to the Dual Degree Programs...I'm in the energy industry and am looking to get my JD/MS in Natural Resources...specifically:

3. Do the Dual Program people drown in so much work they lose all social capacity/access to sunlight?

4. If you know anything specific/have experience with this program:

I don't know a lot about this...but my observations:

Not to me. You're adding another year of tuition...so unless you really really want that kind of job, it requires that degree, are sure you can get one, and it pays well enough to handle the debt.

I could see a JD/MBA seeing as Ross is highly ranked and it could be helpful. Is our natural resources program even ranked?

No idea.

Not at all, everyone I know doing a dual did a year in that school first...or are going after the 3 for LS. They don't take extra classes at the same time, at least not during 1L. We can take like 15 credits outside the LS anyhow. So, I think they work that somehow.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:05 pm

I just found out I was accepted to Michigan yesterday and I registered for the 3/10 - 3/12 ASW. I really love the personality of the school and I'm uber excited for ASW; it looks like a great time.

However, I'm also in at UVA. At the moment I'm looking at both schools at sticker price (if offers aren't forthcoming then I'm going to try to negotiate to see if one of them will give me something, but let's assume they don't).

These two schools seem very, very similar in many respects, other than location and weather. Frankly, I probably want to end up in DC after graduation and would be interested in fed. gov't work or a field of law that deals with regulation and policy, which seems to give UVA a natural edge due to its location and alumni network, etc.

So I ask you, Michiganders, to sway me. I'm truly excited about Michigan, but I need to differentiate it from UVA if it's going to be my choice. What does Michigan do better? What makes it different? In what areas might it be more exceptional? Clinics? Expertise of professors? Breadth of courses offered? Extracurricular opportunities? Is Michigan's spirit of collegiality in some way better than UVA's spirit of collegiality? Of course you may be biased, but I want to hear from Michigan students who know the school and might have already made this decision themselves. Why do you love Michigan and why is it better than Virginia? p.s. I know there have been similar threads in the "Choosing a Law School" forum (which I've read), but I'm more interested in current Mich. students' opinions than the TLS community at large. Thanks in advance!

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:12 pm

I have a few quick questions...

1. What to people who live in the lawyers club typically do for meal and other food out side of the meal plan? Late night food options in walking distance? Grocery Store?

2. How would an small low to the ground front wheel drive car fare in the winter time? I am from florida and don't have any idea how my car would do.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Are international students at a disadvantage when it comes to jobs, specifically Biglaw? How do international students perform at Michigan?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:28 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:1. What to people who live in the lawyers club typically do for meal and other food out side of the meal plan? Late night food options in walking distance? Grocery Store?

There are a lot of great late night food options within walking distance. It's been a couple years since I've been there, but within two blocks you have both Quickie Burger and Big Ten Burrito. If you are willing to walk a little further, the options expand greatly.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:01 pm

I own a 4 cylinder front wheel drive economy car, as does just about everyone else here (that owns a car). I did not bother to get snow tires. The amount of snow is a joke, and it gets salted into oblivion pretty quickly.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Reinhardt wrote:I own a 4 cylinder front wheel drive economy car, as does just about everyone else here (that owns a car). I did not bother to get snow tires. The amount of snow is a joke, and it gets salted into oblivion pretty quickly.

not on back roads :-/

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 am

threewolveshowling wrote:When should summer starters begin looking for housing? Any tips on best places to stay, prices we should be expecting, etc.?

Thanks!

Back to housing for summer starters....it says the Lawyer's Club isn't open in the summer....a. where do summer starters usually live?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:I just found out I was accepted to Michigan yesterday and I registered for the 3/10 - 3/12 ASW. I really love the personality of the school and I'm uber excited for ASW; it looks like a great time.

However, I'm also in at UVA. At the moment I'm looking at both schools at sticker price (if offers aren't forthcoming then I'm going to try to negotiate to see if one of them will give me something, but let's assume they don't).

These two schools seem very, very similar in many respects, other than location and weather. Frankly, I probably want to end up in DC after graduation and would be interested in fed. gov't work or a field of law that deals with regulation and policy, which seems to give UVA a natural edge due to its location and alumni network, etc.

So I ask you, Michiganders, to sway me. I'm truly excited about Michigan, but I need to differentiate it from UVA if it's going to be my choice. What does Michigan do better? What makes it different? In what areas might it be more exceptional? Clinics? Expertise of professors? Breadth of courses offered? Extracurricular opportunities? Is Michigan's spirit of collegiality in some way better than UVA's spirit of collegiality? Of course you may be biased, but I want to hear from Michigan students who know the school and might have already made this decision themselves. Why do you love Michigan and why is it better than Virginia? p.s. I know there have been similar threads in the "Choosing a Law School" forum (which I've read), but I'm more interested in current Mich. students' opinions than the TLS community at large. Thanks in advance!

They are peer schools are are indistinguishable in most of your criteria. I'd visit both and see which one clicks more. Personally, I found the students at Michigan to be way less douchey than at UVA. Both UVA and Michigan place extremely well in DC. If you think you may ever move around, Michigan has a larger alumni base throughout the nation for the most part. (Most of your grads spread out...so there are alumni in NYC, DC, Chicago, LA, Portland, Miami, etc.

Also, don't let the brochures fool you. Ending up in Gov, regulation or policy is more of a factor of what courses you take, where you intern, your previous experiences, etc.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 am

JTMan wrote:

Thanks!

Back to housing for summer starters....it says the Lawyer's Club isn't open in the summer....a. where do summer starters usually live?

Sublets or signing a May-May lease if they can find them, as far as I know. Or you could set up a tent in the quad; not like there's any snow in the summer. The school might frown on that though.

mich 13

Postby mich 13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 pm

A small front-wheel drive car like a corolla or civic will be absolutely fine. Those kinds of cars do fine in most snow anyways and the snow around here isn't all that bad. You would have pretty far from major roads before a small car would start to give you trouble. Honestly, a rear-wheel drive with no snow tires would be fine for just about anywhere you would want to go.

mich 13

Postby mich 13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:07 pm

blowhard wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:I just found out I was accepted to Michigan yesterday and I registered for the 3/10 - 3/12 ASW. I really love the personality of the school and I'm uber excited for ASW; it looks like a great time.

They are peer schools are are indistinguishable in most of your criteria. I'd visit both and see which one clicks more. Personally, I found the students at Michigan to be way less douchey than at UVA. Both UVA and Michigan place extremely well in DC. If you think you may ever move around, Michigan has a larger alumni base throughout the nation for the most part. (Most of your grads spread out...so there are alumni in NYC, DC, Chicago, LA, Portland, Miami, etc.

Also, don't let the brochures fool you. Ending up in Gov, regulation or policy is more of a factor of what courses you take, where you intern, your previous experiences, etc.

Totally agree. If you have your eye on a certain kind of government employment the most important think you can do is intern at an appropriate place during your summers and do a clinic, externship, or pro bono with a similar kind of place. Being an hour and a half drive from DC during the school year isn't going to help. I really liked all the people I met at Michigan. Visit as many schools as you can and really take the time to watch a class or two and see how people interact. See where people look the happiest. You will get a better feel from that than what anyone on a message board can tell you.

mich 13

Postby mich 13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:1. What to people who live in the lawyers club typically do for meal and other food out side of the meal plan? Late night food options in walking distance? Grocery Store?

There are a lot of great late night food options within walking distance. It's been a couple years since I've been there, but within two blocks you have both Quickie Burger and Big Ten Burrito. If you are willing to walk a little further, the options expand greatly.

I wouldn't call the food around campus great (food in the midwest tends to be bland) but its good enough and pretty cheap. There are some grocery stores but you would need a car or you would need to take the bust (about a 10 min ride I think).

mich 13

Postby mich 13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

I wouldn't call the food around campus great (food in the midwest tends to be bland) but its good enough and pretty cheap. There are some grocery stores but you would need a car or you would need to take the bust (about a 10 min ride I think).

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:25 pm

mich 13 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

Ok, fair. It isn't "great" by daytime options. It is pretty stellar by late night options. My main experience with Quickie Burger and Big Ten Burrito came between the hours of midnight and 4 am.

There are some pretty good lunch type options within a 5-10 minute walk. Le Dog is a personal favorite of mine, their Lobster Bisque is the best I've had outside of a coastal city.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 pm

mich 13 wrote:
blowhard wrote:They are peer schools are are indistinguishable in most of your criteria. I'd visit both and see which one clicks more. Personally, I found the students at Michigan to be way less douchey than at UVA. Both UVA and Michigan place extremely well in DC. If you think you may ever move around, Michigan has a larger alumni base throughout the nation for the most part. (Most of your grads spread out...so there are alumni in NYC, DC, Chicago, LA, Portland, Miami, etc.

Totally agree. If you have your eye on a certain kind of government employment the most important think you can do is intern at an appropriate place during your summers and do a clinic, externship, or pro bono with a similar kind of place. Being an hour and a half drive from DC during the school year isn't going to help. I really liked all the people I met at Michigan. Visit as many schools as you can and really take the time to watch a class or two and see how people interact. See where people look the happiest. You will get a better feel from that than what anyone on a message board can tell you.

That's fair. I appreciate the input. I'm coming to Michigan for Preview Weekend next month so that will be my one opportunity to check out the school for a few days. Do you think it's possible to get the same kind of feel for the school on Preview Weekend as you would from sitting in on classes and interacting with students on a normal day at the law school, or is PW really a unique experience?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”