Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 pm

pulandasu wrote:Hi, first of all, I'd like to thank you for all the interesting and insightful answers!

I'm a 0L with a question.

Joint-degree program
1) Do you know people who are doing joint-degree programs with the law school? especially those with a program outside of UMich (i.e. MBA at UCLA)

2) Do you know what the Michigan law policy on or attitude towards doing a joint-degree program with an institution that is not Michigan-affiliated? I have acceptance from a good MBA program - the school is very lenient/flexible towards doing a JD/MBA program with any law school as long as law school allows that (and I have heard people at the MBA program who did create a JD/MBA joint-degree program with other law schools)

Thanks in advance!

Everyone I know of doing a joint degree is doing it with another Michigan school. I know there are rules allowing you to take so many credits outside the school but have no idea what they are. I'd e-mail the admissions office. They are the only ones that would be able to answer this completely.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:38 pm

blowhard wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:This might have already been asked, but:
1. Is it possible to work part time (~10 hours) during 1L or is that asking for way too much?
2. Are there on-campus non-work study part time jobs available to law students? If yes, how does one about finding them/applying to them?

1. No working is not feasible. While you could probably pull it off the first half of the semester you'd never be able to find 10 hours while outlining and preparing for finals.

2. Every now and then they advertise jobs for the library but mostly the 2Ls take them. Westlaw/Lexis/BarBri also employe student reps but again, 2Ls. No one has time 1L year.

Good to know. Need to start saving up at my undergrad part time job NOW.

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:43 pm

blowhard wrote:
pulandasu wrote:Hi, first of all, I'd like to thank you for all the interesting and insightful answers!

I'm a 0L with a question.

Joint-degree program
1) Do you know people who are doing joint-degree programs with the law school? especially those with a program outside of UMich (i.e. MBA at UCLA)

2) Do you know what the Michigan law policy on or attitude towards doing a joint-degree program with an institution that is not Michigan-affiliated? I have acceptance from a good MBA program - the school is very lenient/flexible towards doing a JD/MBA program with any law school as long as law school allows that (and I have heard people at the MBA program who did create a JD/MBA joint-degree program with other law schools)

Thanks in advance!

Everyone I know of doing a joint degree is doing it with another Michigan school. I know there are rules allowing you to take so many credits outside the school but have no idea what they are. I'd e-mail the admissions office. They are the only ones that would be able to answer this completely.

Thanks a lot!

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm

niederbomb wrote:Honestly, if I had a choice between Michigan, UVA, and Penn, which one provides the best job prospects for NYC/DC? I'm international at the moment and won't have a chance to visit, so I have to base my decision solely on job prospects in the cities I where I want to work.

I haven't helped out in here for a while, so I thought I'd hop in. Michigan Law 2L here.

For NYC, I'd honestly say that your chances are just as good at any of these schools. Maybe statistically a slight edge to Penn, but look: does it really make a difference to you whether V100 NYC firms dipped into the 60th percentile in grades at U of M, but the 59th or 58th percentile at Penn? No. The difference frankly appears so slight that I don't think its a good reason to pick one of those schools over the others. They are peers.

For DC, I'd say things tilt a bit more towards UVA. Home court advantage and all that. Generally alumni seem to matter A LOT, which means that since there are lots of UVA alumni in DC, they tend to do well there. I'd say the other group that does well there would be Harvard and Yale, if only because those schools feed heavily into government and government-centric law firms. Don't forget that Georgetown is also right there. Bottom line, DC is competitive for everyone. Expect to need top 20% grades to break in.

My advice: on't choose based on job prospects alone. Look at the programs offered by the schools, read about the profs, try and figure out the feel of each school. The differences between these schools on job prospects alone I just don't think is enough to differentiate them.

One last thing: Michigan's biggest job advantage is reach. Michigan is pretty strong everywhere; therefore, if you aren't sure where you want to go after LS or you just want to have as many doors open in as many geographical regions as possible, Michigan is great option.

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 am

How's the construction coming along? How loud does it get?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 am

The construction is on schedule or slightly ahead of schedule. At least for my section this semester, it's only been noisy in one class on one day of the week. It's barely even going to be an issue for the class of 2014, with only one semester of work left and almost everything should be inside at that point.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:12 am

Hi Michigan people :). Curious to see if anyone knows how transfers did at OCI last year.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 pm

GMVarun wrote:
math101 wrote:Are there any good supermarkets near campus? I don't have a car, and I'm planning on renting an apartment near the ls. Also, are there meal plan options for the LC dining room for students not living in LC? I'd like to take some meals there if possible because I've heard that the social aspect of the LC is partly in the dining hall. If there are meal plans available, could you guys direct me to a link or something, please?

There are grocery stores around, but what works for me is to use a zip-car and go to costco and just buy stuff in bulk. There's a costco about 20 minutes from here so that works to 15 dollars (which covers gas) for a zip car. It's very convenient for me and it avoids the hassle of having to carry your groceries for a long distance. I can't really speak too much about the grocery stores in Ann Arbor. I have gone to one 5 minutes from the LS and that one was fine.

As far as the LC is concerned, you can definitely purchase any meal you want at the same rate (I think; I haven't done the math) as LC residents. It means that it takes you an extra minute to go to the desk, but it works out nicely if you want to eat in the LC (one of my friends does this routinely, at least for lunch). I am not aware of any formal meal plan for non-residents but then again assuming equal rates, who would get a meal plan. Also, there's a lot going on during lunchtimes - there are usually lectures, various clinic discussions, etc. all with free food/pizza that many LC residents/and non-residents go to so I would advise against a meal plan even for the minimal convenience of prepaying.

There is a Kroger very close to Woodbury Gardens that I have walked to a few times when it wasn't so gosh darn cold out. You can take the bus there from the LS.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Important question...how good are the Android/iPhone apps for A2 bus routes? The one for the Madison buses here is amazing.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:35 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:Important question...how good are the Android/iPhone apps for A2 bus routes? The one for the Madison buses here is amazing.

Re: Android, there aren't any for AATA that I've been able to find, though there is a mobile website that allows you to check pretty easily and the routes/timing aren't that complicated anyway. Never use the UM buses so can't speak to that.

Edit: I should clarify, there are a few apps for the UM buses. I just don't know how good any of them are, though they seem to be highly rated.

You whippersnappers with your "apps" for your "bus routes". Back in my day we walked uphill through the snow in the sweltering heat both ways just to wait an hour for a bus that stopped running before it was even dark out, and we liked it, dammit vaguely tolerated it for lack of a better option, gosh darnit.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:08 am

thalassocrat wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:Important question...how good are the Android/iPhone apps for A2 bus routes? The one for the Madison buses here is amazing.

Re: Android, there aren't any for AATA that I've been able to find, though there is a mobile website that allows you to check pretty easily and the routes/timing aren't that complicated anyway. Never use the UM buses so can't speak to that.

Edit: I should clarify, there are a few apps for the UM buses. I just don't know how good any of them are, though they seem to be highly rated.

You whippersnappers with your "apps" for your "bus routes". Back in my day we walked uphill through the snow in the sweltering heat both ways just to wait an hour for a bus that stopped running before it was even dark out, and we liked it, dammit vaguely tolerated it for lack of a better option, gosh darnit.

AATA has no apps, but their routes are in google maps and they have a PDF on their site with all of them. I just put a link to it on the homescreen of my iphone.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:30 pm

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 am

1. Does anyone get merit-based aid and need-based aid?
2. For undergrad I started out at a huge school and then transferred to a tiny school. I loved the tiny school and I’m intimidated by Michigan’s size. Does the law school community feel large or small? Is almost everyone involved, or do a lot of people coast through invisibly? I know that Michigan has 1L sections (or perhaps they call it something else); does this help you to feel like you’re at a smaller school?
3. Is Ann Arbor completely dominated by the “undergraduate scene”?
4. Does Ann Arbor feel like you are in a city or a small college town?
5. How is life in Ann Arbor with a family? I have a two-year-old and have heard that Ann Arbor is a “good place for a family?” Specifically, why is that so? Is there a sort of “family club” or “married students club” and is it very active? Where do families live?
6. What’s the student body like? Do the law students lean toward any sort of cliché? (e.g. UVA = fratty)
7. Does the admitted students weekend give visitors a realistic picture of what going to law school at Michigan is like? Any tips on what to do or see?
8. How’s competitiveness? Does anyone do substantive prep over the summer? Are those in the top-10% brilliant, intellectual gods, or are they just smart, hard workers?
9. How’s the lay prestige?
10. Does anyone get paying jobs their 1L summer?
11. How accessible are the professors? Is it easy to build relationships with them as a 1L?
12. Do you ever regret choosing Michigan? What do you like least about it?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 am

die Zauberflote wrote:1. Does anyone get merit-based aid and need-based aid?
2. For undergrad I started out at a huge school and then transferred to a tiny school. I loved the tiny school and I’m intimidated by Michigan’s size. Does the law school community feel large or small? Is almost everyone involved, or do a lot of people coast through invisibly? I know that Michigan has 1L sections (or perhaps they call it something else); does this help you to feel like you’re at a smaller school?
5. How is life in Ann Arbor with a family? I have a two-year-old and have heard that Ann Arbor is a “good place for a family?” Specifically, why is that so? Is there a sort of “family club” or “married students club” and is it very active? Where do families live?
6. What’s the student body like? Do the law students lean toward any sort of cliché? (e.g. UVA = fratty)
7. Does the admitted students weekend give visitors a realistic picture of what going to law school at Michigan is like? Any tips on what to do or see?
8. How’s competitiveness? Does anyone do substantive prep over the summer? Are those in the top-10% brilliant, intellectual gods, or are they just smart, hard workers?
11. How accessible are the professors? Is it easy to build relationships with them as a 1L?

I like these questions.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Yes, I have heard of it, but I think it's much more common just to only get merit-aid.

I went to what I considered a small undergrad school (most of my classes were about 20 people) and my undergrad class was 900 people. Yes so we have four 1L sections, EFGH, IJKL, MNOP, and the summer starters ABCD, each about 90 or so people. You are also in one of those individual letters and that's the group you do legal writing in. Being in legal practice with only 20 other people does make class feel more personal, but then again even with the larger substantive classes you can always talk to the professor or what have you. So with this all this said, I think the community feels small, but the classes are larger than what I was initially used to.

Not at all. If you go towards Main Street, you have your more classier stuff. Ann Arbor is honestly awesome. I do not know of a single person who does not like it. You can find whatever makes you happy here. Although right now it is pretty chilly due to the snow.

A good question. I think on Saturdays when there's a football game, it definitely feels like a college town. On Thanksgiving I stayed in Ann Arbor, and the place was isolated (literally no restaurants were open past 5 pm) and so that also made it feel like the school dominates the town. But it has a lot of city-like things. I think it's somewhere in between, but I would lead more college-town (but not a small one).

I can't personally answer this, besides saying that I would think it is a very family friendly place. Most (maybe all) professors live in Ann Arbor itself. I don't have any friends who have children in law school, but I am sure Ann Arbor and the Law School is more than accommodating.

Can't really say. I think everyone is really intelligent, friendly, and for the most part extremely personable. I can't think of one catch-all label.

I am only a 1L so I can only speak of 1 semester of law school, but yes I think so. I visited several ASW's and Michigan's by far sealed the deal for me, and I think the two mock classes I sat in on were pretty realistic.

I think almost everyone is really intelligent, and just interesting academically. People come from a range of backgrounds and it makes for good classroom dynamic. I think everyone works super hard as well, but not to stop them from going out 2 or 5 times a week. So I think people are competitive in the sense that they want to do well but not necessarily in the way that they're gonna do stuff to hurt you. In fact, everyone is super helpful, even in the stress of finals time. I heard really bad stories about law school in this light, and I have not experienced it at all. As to substantive prep, I have no idea what if any people did or how it translated.

Not sure what you mean by this. I mean my opinion is just as good as yours. I don't think Michigan Law has a lot of "lay prestige" or at least with respect to other comparable or even less comparable schools. But lay prestige is at least in part guided by locale and it's not important at all with respect to legal hiring. You may not be able to brag to your non-law school friends, if that's what you mean.

Yes certainly. Most people get judicial internships (or that's my feeling I have no idea what the statistics are) but there are certainly some who will have paid jobs. And if you do public interest, you can apply for a student fellowship which is around 3-4k for the summer.

die Zauberflote wrote:11. How accessible are the professors? Is it easy to build relationships with them as a 1L?

11. Yes see above. Super accessible. Yes, you can if you have time. I wish I had taken more advantage of this last semester, but it's definitely something I am going to try to do more of this semester.

12. Nope, not at all. I love Michigan, but sometimes I do wonder about my decision to go to law school. What do I like least about it? Hm, I wish I didn't have to contend with this winter and I am not a big fan of the dining hall (which I have to go to because I live in the Lawyer's Club) but other than that, i really like the law school and the community.

hope that helped

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:02 pm

GMVarun wrote:

Yes, I have heard of it, but I think it's much more common just to only get merit-aid.

I went to what I considered a small undergrad school (most of my classes were about 20 people) and my undergrad class was 900 people. Yes so we have four 1L sections, EFGH, IJKL, MNOP, and the summer starters ABCD, each about 90 or so people. You are also in one of those individual letters and that's the group you do legal writing in. Being in legal practice with only 20 other people does make class feel more personal, but then again even with the larger substantive classes you can always talk to the professor or what have you. So with this all this said, I think the community feels small, but the classes are larger than what I was initially used to.

Not at all. If you go towards Main Street, you have your more classier stuff. Ann Arbor is honestly awesome. I do not know of a single person who does not like it. You can find whatever makes you happy here. Although right now it is pretty chilly due to the snow.

A good question. I think on Saturdays when there's a football game, it definitely feels like a college town. On Thanksgiving I stayed in Ann Arbor, and the place was isolated (literally no restaurants were open past 5 pm) and so that also made it feel like the school dominates the town. But it has a lot of city-like things. I think it's somewhere in between, but I would lead more college-town (but not a small one).

I can't personally answer this, besides saying that I would think it is a very family friendly place. Most (maybe all) professors live in Ann Arbor itself. I don't have any friends who have children in law school, but I am sure Ann Arbor and the Law School is more than accommodating.

Can't really say. I think everyone is really intelligent, friendly, and for the most part extremely personable. I can't think of one catch-all label.

I am only a 1L so I can only speak of 1 semester of law school, but yes I think so. I visited several ASW's and Michigan's by far sealed the deal for me, and I think the two mock classes I sat in on were pretty realistic.

I think almost everyone is really intelligent, and just interesting academically. People come from a range of backgrounds and it makes for good classroom dynamic. I think everyone works super hard as well, but not to stop them from going out 2 or 5 times a week. So I think people are competitive in the sense that they want to do well but not necessarily in the way that they're gonna do stuff to hurt you. In fact, everyone is super helpful, even in the stress of finals time. I heard really bad stories about law school in this light, and I have not experienced it at all. As to substantive prep, I have no idea what if any people did or how it translated.

Not sure what you mean by this. I mean my opinion is just as good as yours. I don't think Michigan Law has a lot of "lay prestige" or at least with respect to other comparable or even less comparable schools. But lay prestige is at least in part guided by locale and it's not important at all with respect to legal hiring. You may not be able to brag to your non-law school friends, if that's what you mean.

Yes certainly. Most people get judicial internships (or that's my feeling I have no idea what the statistics are) but there are certainly some who will have paid jobs. And if you do public interest, you can apply for a student fellowship which is around 3-4k for the summer.

die Zauberflote wrote:11. How accessible are the professors? Is it easy to build relationships with them as a 1L?

11. Yes see above. Super accessible. Yes, you can if you have time. I wish I had taken more advantage of this last semester, but it's definitely something I am going to try to do more of this semester.

12. Nope, not at all. I love Michigan, but sometimes I do wonder about my decision to go to law school. What do I like least about it? Hm, I wish I didn't have to contend with this winter and I am not a big fan of the dining hall (which I have to go to because I live in the Lawyer's Club) but other than that, i really like the law school and the community.

hope that helped

Thanks for the thought out responses. I really appreciate it and you've cleared up a lot of things for me.

Does anybody else have opinions on these thing? Especially parents or someone who turned down a high-ranked school for money at Michigan?

Thanks

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 pm

GMVarun wrote:hope that helped

Yes, that was so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to post. The topic of the LC dining room has been well-covered ITT, but if you are open to sharing more about your own thoughts toward it, I'd love to hear them. At first I was leaning against living in the LC, but over time lots of things have swayed me - the pictures make it look pretty nice inside, it looks like enough privacy, it would be great to be so close to my classes, and I worry that I otherwise might not make close friends at law school. But I am still a little worried about the dining hall situation, so I would be glad to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks again!

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 am

GMVarun wrote:

I think the stat is like 30% judicial internships. I know of several people with a paying gig already and most firms have just started to interview. Most paying ones I know of are in secondary markets.

I second everything else said.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:

Yes, that was so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to post. The topic of the LC dining room has been well-covered ITT, but if you are open to sharing more about your own thoughts toward it, I'd love to hear them. At first I was leaning against living in the LC, but over time lots of things have swayed me - the pictures make it look pretty nice inside, it looks like enough privacy, it would be great to be so close to my classes, and I worry that I otherwise might not make close friends at law school. But I am still a little worried about the dining hall situation, so I would be glad to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks again!

Oh I guess I should be more clear. I actually really like living in the Lawyer's Club. It might be slightly more expensive all things considered living off-campus (but this is assuming roommates, a LC single is about market rate all things considered), but like you mentioned it has all these sweet perks. For me, I am always running late, so being literally less than 3 minutes from my door to class is incredibly valuable. It's also nice that you don't need to worry about having a locker or having all your books with you -- your room serves as your locker (that you can easily go to after/before lunch for example to get your afternoon books). You're also a minute away from the library - which again is a place I frequent, so it's nice. As far as the rooms themselves, I don't mind it at all. They're not necessarily the nicest interiors, but for college dorms they're better than average. Also, like you mentioned, it's really super easy to meet people by living in the lawyer's club - there's almost always "block" parties going on. then again, people off campus do come to the LC to party and often the party migrates to a bar that's closer to off-campus folk anyways. I guess you also meet/talk with people in the dining hall, but you could always buy dining hall meal tickets if you wanted to do this.

The dining hall, food wise, is a separate issue - I am more often than not disappointed with the food. They do have a very good salad bar, and a good fruit bar with fresh fruit and salad everyday. They also have very good soup most days. The main entree are somewhat dubious at times though, and they love to repeat themselves. The other "problem" is that eating in the dining hall takes much longer than sometimes I want to spend because it's easy to just sit there and talk to friends, then go to the library or get on with your life - it becomes a method of procrastination, which sometimes I do want to avoid. So I look at the dining hall as a sunk cost - if I am not in the mood, I just go buy something else, and I am more happy sometimes doing this.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:01 pm

GMVarun wrote:

Thanks again!

Oh I guess I should be more clear. I actually really like living in the Lawyer's Club. It might be slightly more expensive all things considered living off-campus (but this is assuming roommates, a LC single is about market rate all things considered), but like you mentioned it has all these sweet perks. For me, I am always running late, so being literally less than 3 minutes from my door to class is incredibly valuable. It's also nice that you don't need to worry about having a locker or having all your books with you -- your room serves as your locker (that you can easily go to after/before lunch for example to get your afternoon books). You're also a minute away from the library - which again is a place I frequent, so it's nice. As far as the rooms themselves, I don't mind it at all. They're not necessarily the nicest interiors, but for college dorms they're better than average. Also, like you mentioned, it's really super easy to meet people by living in the lawyer's club - there's almost always "block" parties going on. then again, people off campus do come to the LC to party and often the party migrates to a bar that's closer to off-campus folk anyways. I guess you also meet/talk with people in the dining hall, but you could always buy dining hall meal tickets if you wanted to do this.

The dining hall, food wise, is a separate issue - I am more often than not disappointed with the food. They do have a very good salad bar, and a good fruit bar with fresh fruit and salad everyday. They also have very good soup most days. The main entree are somewhat dubious at times though, and they love to repeat themselves. The other "problem" is that eating in the dining hall takes much longer than sometimes I want to spend because it's easy to just sit there and talk to friends, then go to the library or get on with your life - it becomes a method of procrastination, which sometimes I do want to avoid. So I look at the dining hall as a sunk cost - if I am not in the mood, I just go buy something else, and I am more happy sometimes doing this.

Thanks! That's really helpful. Do people living in LC ever have overnight guests? (My boyfriend will be living elsewhere in the country and coming to visit soon.) Am I right in assuming that a double suite would not be ideal in this case?

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote: Thanks! That's really helpful. Do people living in LC ever have overnight guests? (My boyfriend will be living elsewhere in the country and coming to visit soon.) Am I right in assuming that a double suite would not be ideal in this case?

Sure, this is much better than doing conlaw reading. While living in LC while reminiscent in many ways to a college dorm, it operates more functionally as an apartment. So there's no worry about overnight guest at all - they can definitely stay with you etc. In fact, they would not need to sign in or anything either as you can enter into your block of the LC separately from the front office. The only difference I can see with a double suite is how having an overnight guest would influence your roommate. As such, all the double suites have two bedrooms and a shared living room type space so I couldn't really foresee any problem there either, but I guess if you had a really particular roommate maybe.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:31 pm

GMVarun wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote: Thanks! That's really helpful. Do people living in LC ever have overnight guests? (My boyfriend will be living elsewhere in the country and coming to visit soon.) Am I right in assuming that a double suite would not be ideal in this case?

Sure, this is much better than doing conlaw reading. While living in LC while reminiscent in many ways to a college dorm, it operates more functionally as an apartment. So there's no worry about overnight guest at all - they can definitely stay with you etc. In fact, they would not need to sign in or anything either as you can enter into your block of the LC separately from the front office. The only difference I can see with a double suite is how having an overnight guest would influence your roommate. As such, all the double suites have two bedrooms and a shared living room type space so I couldn't really foresee any problem there either, but I guess if you had a really particular roommate maybe.

Do the bedrooms share a wall?

Postby 4102011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:38 pm

GMVarun wrote:

Ahaha excellent question.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:13 pm

This has all been incredibly helpful. Thanks!

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:35 pm

GMVarun wrote:

Some of them do, but you'll probably be sharing at least one wall with someone anyway even if you're in a single. I will say most of the noise I notice is from the hall. I can only rarely hear anything from the girl next to me.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”