Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
awesomepossum

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Geat27 wrote:I'm a current 2L and I've never lived in Woodbury Gardens but I've had friends who have. It's pretty decent housing, modest but nice 1 bedroom apartments with washers & dryers, dishwashers and decent kitchens. It's in a quiet area, maybe a 20 minute bus ride from the law school. A benefit of it is that it would give you a place to get away from the law school, the undergrads, the university as a whole, and relax.

It's a less than 10 minute bus ride. It's about a half hour walk. Two other pretty nice benefits: a gym and a pool. The complex also runs a van back and forth from the law school/business school about every hour during the day M-Th.

Geat27

Postby Geat27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:04 pm

lawschool7777 wrote:Thanks Geat. Do you have any other recommendations?

Yes.

This place is on the pricey side but it's a really nice building and within walking distance to school: http://www.4elevenlofts.com/

I had a friend who lived in the Northwood graduate dorms. They include kitchens and are more like small houses than dorms. They are maybe a 15-20 minute bus ride to campus. You would have to find out the pet policy, but it actually wouldn't surprise me if pets were allowed, because it's nothing like a typical dorm.
Last edited by Geat27 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geat27

Postby Geat27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117113&start=75

Does any student want to weigh in on this conversation alleging that only 35-40% of Michigan 2L's got offered a job at this years OCI?

First, I don't think there's any way to actually verify that number. These are the only statistics we have that I know of, and they're both out of date and ambiguous: http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... stats.aspx

Second, the number seems accurate, based on my experience as a student. I know plenty of people who didn't get callbacks, and some who didn't get offers after their 2L summers. It's funny, a couple of days ago I asked one of my friends for a prediction of how many of us would get jobs from OCI this August, and he guessed 30%. I have nothing to go on but reckoning and gut feeling, but that seems about right to me. In better economic times, I imagine the percentage might have been twice as large.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Geat27 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117113&start=75

Does any student want to weigh in on this conversation alleging that only 35-40% of Michigan 2L's got offered a job at this years OCI?

First, I don't think there's any way to actually verify that number. These are the only statistics we have that I know of, and they're both out of date and ambiguous: http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... stats.aspx

Second, the number seems accurate, based on my experience as a student. I know plenty of people who didn't get callbacks, and some who didn't get offers after their 2L summers. It's funny, a couple of days ago I asked one of my friends for a prediction of how many of us would get jobs from OCI this August, and he guessed 30%. I have nothing to go on but reckoning and gut feeling, but that seems about right to me. In better economic times, I imagine the percentage might have been twice as large.

I guess the appropriate question is what percentage of people who were looking for a firm job got one at OCI. I have no idea what the number is. If I had to guess though, I would peg it at 60+%.

Geat27

Postby Geat27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 pm

awesomepossum wrote: I guess the appropriate question is what percentage of people who were looking for a firm job got one at OCI. I have no idea what the number is. If I had to guess though, I would peg it at 60+%.

I think that's the appropriate question, too, and I have no evidence to dispute that the answer is 60% (although my gut feeling is that the figure is less). I know very few 2Ls who aren't participating in OCI. And only 2 non-firm employers are coming to OCI.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Geat27 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote: I guess the appropriate question is what percentage of people who were looking for a firm job got one at OCI. I have no idea what the number is. If I had to guess though, I would peg it at 60+%.

I think that's the appropriate question, too, and I have no evidence to dispute that the answer is 60% (although my gut feeling is that the figure is less). I know very few 2Ls who aren't participating in OCI. And only 2 non-firm employers are coming to OCI.

I think many people who mean to do public interest also do OCI. I think they do it because: (1) it's decent practice for interviewing in general; (2) just because everyone else is doing it; and (3) it's nice to have more options than fewer options.

Geat27

Postby Geat27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 pm

awesomepossum wrote: I think many people who mean to do public interest also do OCI. I think they do it because: (1) it's decent practice for interviewing in general; (2) just because everyone else is doing it; and (3) it's nice to have more options than fewer options.

This is absolutely true.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm

On a related note, not everyone looking for a firm job will do OCI. There'll probably be a few others like me who are only interested in one particular home location that is not well represented at OCI and prefer to conduct our job searches over the summer. I doubt this accounts for more than 10 people but figured I'd mention it.

KSU 09

Postby KSU 09 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:55 pm

Does anyone know anything about some of the mckinley apts in Ypsi other than that they are kind of far away. I visited Aspen Chase and it seemed nice, but its reviews on the internet are awful and make the place sound dangerous.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:25 pm

KSU 09 wrote:Does anyone know anything about some of the mckinley apts in Ypsi other than that they are kind of far away. I visited Aspen Chase and it seemed nice, but its reviews on the internet are awful and make the place sound dangerous.

See my post in the 2013 thread about their maintenance/mgmt (as relayed by my maintenance guy who has friends who worked there.)

lawschool7777

Postby lawschool7777 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:09 pm

do any rising 2L/3Ls know how transfer students usually fare at OCI? any suggestions on bidding? thanks!

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi all. Can someone please tell me how housing works if you do the summer start? Is the LC open to live in? If you do live there, do you just keep your room into the fall? Or do people just look for summer housing?

Thanks

tingles

Postby tingles » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Entchen,

Summer starters usually sublet apartments during the summer since the LC isn't open then. Sublets are pretty cheap during the summer (more supply than demand). The LC doesn't let people move in until during the week of orientation (1 week before class), although I know you can pay extra (about $150) to move in a week earlier than that.

tingles

Postby tingles » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:14 pm

lawschool7777 wrote:do any rising 2L/3Ls know how transfer students usually fare at OCI? any suggestions on bidding? thanks!

I know one transfer who was a 2L that didn't get a job from OCI. He had a really strong resume, and eventually got a SA position at a large firm in the spring - he just had a longer job search. I will say that I hope you applied for journals (if you're interested in them) because the transfer did mention that that was a question that he was asked repeatedly. I guess since interviewers couldn't really compare his gpa to other Michigan students, they looked to see what Michigan extracurriculars he was a part of.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:44 pm

tingles wrote:Hi Entchen,

Summer starters usually sublet apartments during the summer since the LC isn't open then. Sublets are pretty cheap during the summer (more supply than demand). The LC doesn't let people move in until during the week of orientation (1 week before class), although I know you can pay extra (about $150) to move in a week earlier than that.

Thanks, tingles!

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Sorry to double post, but I am debating applying ED to Michigan, so I was hoping you all could advise me.

I have a 3.5 and a 177, so looking on law school numbers (link excludes URMs, Non-Trad, and International, all RDs) it seems like I'd have a decent shot at getting in even applying RD. In fact, it looks like I could also potentially get some money, in the range of $60,000. I'm a little worried that if I do ED, I could miss out on that money, and it's a lot to just throw away. But, I am also concerned that there is always a possibility that I could just not get in RD, and that would make me sad.

I'm fairly certain right now that Michigan is my first choice, by kind of a large margin (although, I have not had a chance to visit, and will not before applying). Even if I applied Regular Decision, I would prefer to do the summer start, so that is not a factor. I LOVE winter (a good hockey team and nearby XC skiing? Count me in!), and would eventually want to work in New England but would be ok with the upper midwest (basically, somewhere cold and snowy).

I'm all for the college town thing -- I am specifically not applying to schools in NYC or Chicago because it's just not my scene. I went to undergrad at school that was big on community, so I sort of love how enthusiastic about the school Michigan Law students seem to be. I really like that so many live on campus (at least the first year) - it would be great for getting to know other students, and it seems like everyone who goes there feels a serious bond to the school. Doesn't hurt that it's really, really pretty.

The only negative thing I can think of is that it is quite far from my home, but I can deal with that for three years.

So what do you all think? Do you know of anyone who applied ED and got significant money, or would I basically be forfeiting whatever I could have gotten RD? Should I just turn out a killer Why Michigan essay and take my chances? I think the latter is probably the wiser choice, but I figured I'd ask for opinions here.

Thanks all. Sorry for the novel.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Entchen wrote:Sorry to double post, but I am debating applying ED to Michigan, so I was hoping you all could advise me.

I have a 3.5 and a 177, so looking on law school numbers (link excludes URMs, Non-Trad, and International, all RDs) it seems like I'd have a decent shot at getting in even applying RD. In fact, it looks like I could also potentially get some money, in the range of $60,000. I'm a little worried that if I do ED, I could miss out on that money, and it's a lot to just throw away. But, I am also concerned that there is always a possibility that I could just not get in RD, and that would make me sad.

I'm fairly certain right now that Michigan is my first choice, by kind of a large margin (although, I have not had a chance to visit, and will not before applying). Even if I applied Regular Decision, I would prefer to do the summer start, so that is not a factor. I LOVE winter (a good hockey team and nearby XC skiing? Count me in!), and would eventually want to work in New England but would be ok with the upper midwest (basically, somewhere cold and snowy).

I'm all for the college town thing -- I am specifically not applying to schools in NYC or Chicago because it's just not my scene. I went to undergrad at school that was big on community, so I sort of love how enthusiastic about the school Michigan Law students seem to be. I really like that so many live on campus (at least the first year) - it would be great for getting to know other students, and it seems like everyone who goes there feels a serious bond to the school. Doesn't hurt that it's really, really pretty.

The only negative thing I can think of is that it is quite far from my home, but I can deal with that for three years.

So what do you all think? Do you know of anyone who applied ED and got significant money, or would I basically be forfeiting whatever I could have gotten RD? Should I just turn out a killer Why Michigan essay and take my chances? I think the latter is probably the wiser choice, but I figured I'd ask for opinions here.

I know of several people who applied ED and got $$$. Michigan is very formulaic in how they grant aid. You could be in the running for a Darrow (full-ride) though that you may not get if you ED. I'd probably apply RD and apply to some other top schools to try and leverage financial aid out of Michigan if need be.

lawgunner75

Postby lawgunner75 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Did anybody have Professor Blumenthal for Crim Law?

oscarthegrouch

Postby oscarthegrouch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:36 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Geat27 wrote:

I guess the appropriate question is what percentage of people who were looking for a firm job got one at OCI. I have no idea what the number is. If I had to guess though, I would peg it at 60+%.

If I were to hazard a guess, it'd be between 40 and 50%, but nobody has any official data, so who knows. (But from what I have heard, I think we fared better than certain members of the MVPB. *cough* I also know that certain members of MVPB (not us, fortunately) have fewer offices at OCI this year than last year. I think it should be better this year for us, although by no means like year 2006.)

Re: Geat27...twice as large? A couple years ago 90% of the class got a job at OCI. (And yes, I got this statistic from career services.) I think this year will be better though, just cause we have a lot more firm offices at OCI this year than last year.
P.S. Are you a flame? (Re: old threads)

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:13 pm

blowhard wrote:
Entchen wrote:Sorry to double post, but I am debating applying ED to Michigan, so I was hoping you all could advise me.

I know of several people who applied ED and got $$$. Michigan is very formulaic in how they grant aid. You could be in the running for a Darrow (full-ride) though that you may not get if you ED. I'd probably apply RD and apply to some other top schools to try and leverage financial aid out of Michigan if need be.

I would add that the leverage would likely have to come from CCN + scholarship $. I tried to do this with a lower ranked T14, and was rejected.

jbjb1

Postby jbjb1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 pm

I have two questions:

1 - Can you get a carry out box at LC dining without paying extra? I remember in college I wasn't allowed to even though I didn't want to sit down to eat every time.

2 - Are pets allowed in any of the rooms in LC? If not is it possible to sneak one in? :P

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm

sorry if this has been asked before, but do most students use macs or pcs? I'm a mac lover and I've been told some exam software is only compatible with pcs.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:59 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:sorry if this has been asked before, but do most students use macs or pcs? I'm a mac lover and I've been told some exam software is only compatible with pcs.

Just like PKSkebben and I told you in the other Michigan thread, Macs are officially supported by the school and the exam software runs fine.

http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudents/registration/exams/Pages/laptopExamInformation.aspx

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:18 pm

jbjb1 wrote:I have two questions:

1 - Can you get a carry out box at LC dining without paying extra? I remember in college I wasn't allowed to even though I didn't want to sit down to eat every time.

2 - Are pets allowed in any of the rooms in LC? If not is it possible to sneak one in? :P

1. I have no idea but I remember them saying something at OCI about you not being able to.

2. No pets in LC...doubt you want to risk it by sneaking one in. SOMEONE would find out.

jbjb1

Postby jbjb1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:27 pm

bummer x2

blowhard wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:I have two questions:

1. I have no idea but I remember them saying something at OCI about you not being able to.

2. No pets in LC...doubt you want to risk it by sneaking one in. SOMEONE would find out.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”