Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Geat27

Re: will answer your questions about the first year at Michigan

Postby Geat27 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Nicer & more friendly. Except during exam periods (when tension is high and the stress is palpable), people got more relaxed and more friendly as the year progressed. At first, people were nice but sometimes closed-off -- second semester is when I saw people becoming more comfortable with one another and making what I would think of as "real" friendships.

Geat27

Postby Geat27 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Classes will probably be harder than any comparable classes in an undergraduate program, e.g., pre-law classes, social sciences classes, and hard by any standard. The main skill is reading the disorderly textbook (cases, commentary) and then concisely summarizing it as a series of legal doctrines. I think anyone who is good at reading and analyzing can manage that. The only real danger is coming to Michigan ignorant of the fact that, well, it's hard, and not being committed to work hard and consistently. It's not about burning your eyes out in the library, or taking obsessive notes in class. It's about spending a few hours studying in a focused way most days of the week. It's about reading, interpreting, comprehending, and remembering.

I lived in the lawyer's club for the whole first year. It was a good experience.

This is a description of the lawyer's club someone wrote for a prospective student. It's accurate:

The rooms in the LC come in a big variety. Some are small for a dorm
room, others are spacious. If you choose to live in a single, your
room might end up being tiny. If you live in a double you will likely have
a tiny private bedroom and a spacious study room that you share with your
roommate.

South University Ave. abuts the LC and it is a busy street. You should
seriously consider whether you will be bothered by the noise from the
traffic, which includes cars, buses, trucks, garbage trucks and sometimes
drunk and rowdy people walking home from the nearby bars. The rooms that
face into the law quad or look out onto Tappan Avenue are much, much
quieter.

It doesn't seem to be too much of a problem to share a bathroom with the
hall. I have almost never had to wait to use the shower. The bathrooms
are kept very clean by the LC staff.

The food is not bad. There is always a fresh and very well-stocked salad
bar. The hot food is usually pretty good, but the menu sometimes repeats
itself more than people would like. The cafeteria is in a beautiful
location. Unlike a lot of college/university cafeterias, there are real
plates and silverware.

It's a pain to have a car and live in the LC. The only nearby parking
spots are metered and often full. You can rent parking spaces from people
living in houses a few blocks away. You may be able to find one of these on
Craigslist. The cost is usually about $75 a month for one of these parking
spaces.

You can do pretty well without a car, though. Bars, coffeeshops, corner
groceries, a post office, and the U-M libraries are all within a few blocks
of the LC.

The LC is literally next to the law school.

The cost of a lawyer's club room seems high at first glance but if you are
comparing it with off-campus places makes sure to factor in the cost of
utilities, internet service, furniture, the rental deposit, the cost of a
car or bike if living off-campus will cause you to need one, and the
realistic cost of food. Also factor in the hassle of dealing with a
landlord, keeping in mind that rental properties near the university are
usually run-down and landlords in Ann Arbor are not reliable.

Diane Nafranowicz, the LC director, was very helpful when I had a noise
issue in my lawyer's club room. I would definitely approach her if you
ever have a concern about your living situation in the LC.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:27 am

wow! thanks a lot for your help :) I'm excited to start in the fall, and i'll keep your advice in mind!

rockchalk86

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:06 am

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117113&start=75

Does any student want to weigh in on this conversation alleging that only 35-40% of Michigan 2L's got offered a job at this years OCI?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Have any of you current students had JJ White or John Pottow, and would care to give your impressions? Those are the two professors teaching contracts for the Summer Start term, and I'm wondering what people think about them. I've heard the "JJ White is a legend" line, but other than that, I really know nothing about them, their personalities/styles, etc. I know we don't get to pick, but if you know both of them, which one would you have picked/why?

Thanks.
(bored Summer Starter getting anxious for classes to start)

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Tue May 18, 2010 7:34 pm

hi guys! hope you're excited about coming to Mlaw this year! i'll try to answer some unanswered q's.

Pottow and JJ: i have never had either, unfortunately, but have friends who have had both and am super excited to be taking JJ this fall. I hear he is hard in that he expects you to know a lot, but is very fair on exams/grading (what is fair on a law school exam is most likely a foreign concept to you at the moment but you'll get it and be thankful for it later).Pottow I know even less about, but I had the pleasure of talking to him at a Wine & Cheese event this past year and he was HILARIOUS. So there. That's probably not helpful at all but hey, I tried :)

OCI: No clue. Sorry. :( What little I read of that convo made me roll my eyes and my head hurt. I have friends who got great jobs. I have friends who didn't. I have no friends with no jobs, though they may not have gotten them from OCI. That's about it.

Course schedule: This takes a looooooong time. They come out super late. I got mine right in the Middle of MAP (week before orientation). I also had to send in proof of enrollment for deferment of a loan at my undergrad and the Registrar wouldn't give me a letter until the first day of classes. Maybe try calling, as opposed to emailing, them? If you explain your story to one of them over the phone they may be able to help you more. Sorry I don't know more about the GI bill. Good luck!

cigol

Postby cigol » Wed May 19, 2010 2:49 am

For summer starters....do we get our books during orientation or is it expected that we get them on our own?

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Wed May 19, 2010 4:48 am

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

You should have seen me when I visited Northwestern in March! I know more about Chicago than the locals!

Anyway, I just want to poke around, familiarize myself with the interface, and log the address in my book of all-things-Michigan.

Thus, if you would be so kind....

I'll believe you...for now. Your lucky I saw this the other day while looking for Lexis for work. Log-in to M Law Live, go to Academics/Law Library, Law students tab, then Reserves and Exams.

Many thanks. I never would have found that.

Yeah dudes, here is the link to make it easier in the future.
http://www.law.umich.edu/library/studen ... fault.aspx

do we get our books during orientation or is it expected that we get them on our own?

You can get them whenever...the new books at the bookstores are super expensive though. Unless you need the newest edition, I'd recommend using lawopen first to see if you can get a copy (students usually sell them for super cheap) or ordering it off amazon used.

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 am

1Ls - now that finals are prob about over, any advice I can get about your first year that you would have liked to know?

I hate that feeling where I just wish I had known to do one thing different..

thanks!

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:59 pm

So, they gave me my Fall section awhile since I have to report it to VA and wait for them to process. Any current students have feedback on the following professors?

Contracts - James White
Crim - Kimberly Thomas
Con - Richard Primus
Legal Practice I/Legal skills - Timothy Pinto

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm

blhoward2 wrote:So, they gave me my Fall section awhile since I have to report it to VA and wait for them to process. Any current students have feedback on the following professors?

Contracts - James White
Crim - Kimberly Thomas
Con - Richard Primus
Legal Practice I/Legal skills - Timothy Pinto

I can't speak for Primus as a teacher, but when I spoke to him at ASW I was mega impressed. And I've definitely heard good things.

cigol

Postby cigol » Sat May 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Geat27 wrote:It's a pain to have a car and live in the LC. The only nearby parking
spaces.

Aren't the spots in the orange lot (10 minute walk from the LC) $70 for the whole year?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:12 am

cigol wrote:
Geat27 wrote:It's a pain to have a car and live in the LC. The only nearby parking
spaces.

Aren't the spots in the orange lot (10 minute walk from the LC) $70 for the whole year?

The price is right, but I'd say the walk is much more than 10 min...

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun May 23, 2010 4:17 pm

What do people usually do TV-wise in the LC? Are there cable jacks? Do people typically have individual TVs? I was thinking about getting a cheap flat screen and a Roku Netflix box. Is stuff like this typical?

washingtonian

Postby washingtonian » Tue May 25, 2010 5:38 pm

For 1Ls who did not live in the LC, and for 2Ls and 3Ls, do you think living in Burns Park about .8 miles from campus is OK? I am living with another 1L and we are both a few years out of undergrad and really not into the LC, but we are wondering if it may be a little too far of a walk. Thanks!

jh60405

Postby jh60405 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:55 pm

fortissimo wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

You should have seen me when I visited Northwestern in March! I know more about Chicago than the locals!

Anyway, I just want to poke around, familiarize myself with the interface, and log the address in my book of all-things-Michigan.

Thus, if you would be so kind....

I'll believe you...for now. Your lucky I saw this the other day while looking for Lexis for work. Log-in to M Law Live, go to Academics/Law Library, Law students tab, then Reserves and Exams.

Many thanks. I never would have found that.

Are you guys able to actually see the exam?. I'm curious to see what some of them look like, but when I try to login to the library it doesn't let me.

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 pm

jh60405 wrote:Are you guys able to actually see the exam?. I'm curious to see what some of them look like, but when I try to login to the library it doesn't let me.

I can't. Keep in mind, however, that I couldn't even find the link to the database on my own.

(There's an "off campus login" option in the upper-right corner. I am able to successfully log into the library's proxy, but still cannot access the exams themselves. Perhaps others will have better luck. I should also note that I AM able to use other "premium" services, such as WorldCat.)

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Wed May 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Do 1Ls in the Lawyers Club ever pull cray-zee pranks on one another? Like bucket of water over bathroom door or ants in your pants?

mcdad

Postby mcdad » Fri May 28, 2010 12:13 am

I see chimneys in the pictures of the Lawyers' Club. Are these purely decorative, or are they connected to old now unused fireplaces? Are there fireplaces that are used on special occasions?

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:37 am

does anyone have pictures/know where there are pics of the LC rooms???? I so want to see! :P

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:39 am

mcdad wrote:I see chimneys in the pictures of the Lawyers' Club. Are these purely decorative, or are they connected to old now unused fireplaces? Are there fireplaces that are used on special occasions?

They said during the ASW that they are now non-functioning and sealed off Orr the fire marshall.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Mon May 31, 2010 8:15 am

Not sure if anyone is still fielding questions here, but I'm wondering about the winter recess- is this a real break? The academic calendar (http://www.law.umich.edu/curriculum/Pages/acadcal.aspx) lists a break from Feb 26 to March 7. Do people really take this as a break, or is this mostly filled with studying? My partner lives abroad so I have a lot of international travel planning to do, and wondering if I can count on this as a time when I can go see him or not.

charliec9

Postby charliec9 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:03 am

roundabout wrote:Not sure if anyone is still fielding questions here, but I'm wondering about the winter recess- is this a real break? The academic calendar (http://www.law.umich.edu/curriculum/Pages/acadcal.aspx) lists a break from Feb 26 to March 7. Do people really take this as a break, or is this mostly filled with studying? My partner lives abroad so I have a lot of international travel planning to do, and wondering if I can count on this as a time when I can go see him or not.

I didn't go abroad, but I did go home to visit family in another state. I probably did a little school work or journal work during that break, but I spent plenty of it sleeping in and hanging out with family and friends. So, yes, I'd characterize this as a real break. It's not the same length as the break in-between first and second semester, but it's long enough. Sometimes, profs will cancel class on that Friday or you can choose not to go, extending the break a little longer. If you didn't have a Thursday class in that term, you can make the break even longer still.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:23 pm

charliec9 wrote:
roundabout wrote:Not sure if anyone is still fielding questions here, but I'm wondering about the winter recess- is this a real break? The academic calendar (http://www.law.umich.edu/curriculum/Pages/acadcal.aspx) lists a break from Feb 26 to March 7. Do people really take this as a break, or is this mostly filled with studying? My partner lives abroad so I have a lot of international travel planning to do, and wondering if I can count on this as a time when I can go see him or not.

I didn't go abroad, but I did go home to visit family in another state. I probably did a little school work or journal work during that break, but I spent plenty of it sleeping in and hanging out with family and friends. So, yes, I'd characterize this as a real break. It's not the same length as the break in-between first and second semester, but it's long enough. Sometimes, profs will cancel class on that Friday or you can choose not to go, extending the break a little longer. If you didn't have a Thursday class in that term, you can make the break even longer still.

Great, thanks!

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Greetings kiddos :-)

Former 1L, now 2L here and back taking qs! I'm in the midst of a CoA internship, so if ya'll have questions about that, fire away.

washingtonian wrote:For 1Ls who did not live in the LC, and for 2Ls and 3Ls, do you think living in Burns Park about .8 miles from campus is OK? I am living with another 1L and we are both a few years out of undergrad and really not into the LC, but we are wondering if it may be a little too far of a walk. Thanks!

I currently live in Burns Park. I love it -- its beautiful, quiet, and the houses there are quite lovely (if a bit on the expensive side). I live near the intersection of Cambridge and Olivia, to give you a reference point, and its about a 6 minute bike ride door to door or a 15-20 minute walk. I enjoy walks so the walk didn't bother me, but doing it in the dead of winter is really no fun. I lived in Chicago last year so I was used to walking in bitter cold, but if you are from a warmer clime, I would at least take that into consideration.

As for the Winter Break question -- I went skiing with my BF's fam. Does that count as studying? :-P I probably should have been doing some work on my legal writing stuff, but if you want to take 4-5 days of the break off, you definitely can.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”