Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm

blhoward2 wrote:Thanks for the correction! I guess I saw the price for the blue permit somewhere.


You must have seen the faculty prices, which are quite a bit more expensive...

JRMjr
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JRMjr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

hey all- this came up in the Michigan 2013 thread and someone suggested I throw it here. There seems to be demand from the incoming class for a group focused on law students with SO's. I'm going to throw together an email distro so we can organize a get together this fall, help couples meet other couples, and generally try to mimic the Vandy "Law Partners" program (thanks Vandy, great idea!)

If you're interested, PM me your email addy and I'll throw your name on the list! I'll reply to your PM with my email so its slightly less....stalkerish... when the first email goes out

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Sun May 09, 2010 10:16 am

Would someone kindly point me in the direction of the online exam bank? I can't seem to find it via the law library site. Thanks.

cigol
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cigol » Sun May 09, 2010 11:16 am

Is everyone else reading that parking proration schedule as saying that an Orange Permit is $70 per year? The big orange lot at Michigan Stadium is 2/3 of a mile (so no more than a 10-12 minute walk) from the law quad. I feel like I'm missing something here since others are paying over $100 per month for spots right near the quad.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:44 am

cigol wrote:Is everyone else reading that parking proration schedule as saying that an Orange Permit is $70 per year? The big orange lot at Michigan Stadium is 2/3 of a mile (so no more than a 10-12 minute walk) from the law quad. I feel like I'm missing something here since others are paying over $100 per month for spots right near the quad.


2/3 mile could suck in deep snow. There is a park & ride by the mall where you can park for free and get dropped off at the door.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun May 09, 2010 11:57 am

2/3 of a mile is nothing. I walk that to class every day.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:All this talk about parking:

Is there some option to pay for parking through the university proper, perhaps far far away?

I plan to bring a car, and will probably use it once per month.

Hence, I seek not these NYC parking rates. I just wanna put my car within 2 miles of the Lawyers Club.

What are my option-a-mundos?


There is but it's expensive...like $800 or something and far away.


Is it bad that I see $800 and I think "wow, that's really cheap"?

User avatar
verdandi
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby verdandi » Wed May 12, 2010 10:25 am

Nah, I could see how you could look at $800 and think it's pretty cheap. Coming from a big city, such as DC or Chicago or especially places like NYC or SF, Ann Arbor feels down right affordable. $800/month will get you some pretty nice digs in AA, especially if you're rooming with someone else -- a $1600/month 2br is a VERY nice apartment. However, you definitely can get a pretty decent place for less. I'd say for a decent 1br, walkable to campus, you're looking at between $700 and $900. For a bedroom in a two-bedroom share, I'd say you should expect to spend between $550 and $700. For a three person share, depending on how you are sharing it (i.e., in a two-bedroom or a three-bedroom), I'd expect to pay btw $450 and $600.

Best of luck in the housing search. Welcome to Michigan to all our new 1Ls!

cigol
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cigol » Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Can anyone answer to how big the rooms are in the Lawyers' Club? I will be living in the standard Single and am just wondering how much space I'm going to be dealing with. Also, is there any way to tell from the room letter/number if it will be looking over the quad or street? Thanks.

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Wed May 12, 2010 1:45 pm

cigol wrote:Can anyone answer to how big the rooms are in the Lawyers' Club? I will be living in the standard Single and am just wondering how much space I'm going to be dealing with. Also, is there any way to tell from the room letter/number if it will be looking over the quad or street? Thanks.

I too would like to know the answer to these questions.

Similarly, is there a way to determine the floor from the room letter/number?

(And if anyone could direct me to the online exam bank that would be great too! :))

mcdad
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby mcdad » Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 pm

I too would like to know how you can tell from the letter and number what floor you're on and which direction your window is facing. (Maybe they are all gone as exams are over.)

bubbles9482
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby bubbles9482 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Same as above- can anyone decipher our lawyer's club room assignments?! What letters are where in the quad, how to tell which floor we're on, where are the bathrooms, etc?

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Joan Hollaway » Thu May 13, 2010 9:33 pm

all i know is that the first number is your floor

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Shlonster » Fri May 14, 2010 3:22 pm

For anyone who is wondering about LC rooms, here is the tiny tidbit I got....

The room is “L” shaped with the larger segment of the “L” measuring 13 x 14’ and the shorter leg of the “L” measuring 3’ x 9’ (this is often where student tuck their desk).

Mine is on the first floor, which is both a good and bad thing.

Mine faces north and has a view of the presidents house - I'd have to look at map to really have any idea what that means.

edit: picture - p.s. it's totally worth checking out the law quad on google earth.

Image

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri May 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Shlonster wrote:For anyone who is wondering about LC rooms, here is the tiny tidbit I got....

The room is “L” shaped with the larger segment of the “L” measuring 13 x 14’ and the shorter leg of the “L” measuring 3’ x 9’ (this is often where student tuck their desk).

Mine is on the first floor, which is both a good and bad thing.

Mine faces north and has a view of the presidents house - I'd have to look at map to really have any idea what that means.

edit: picture - p.s. it's totally worth checking out the law quad on google earth.

Image

Here's some help for decoding, as mentioned:

1st Number = Floor Number.
2nd Number = Sorry, I don't know which corresponds to what, nor do I know if you'll have a quad or street view. I ended up having a 1st floor street view (which I was disappointed in initially), but ultimately worked out perfectly.. I think 2nd floors in most halls are shared, which means the bedrooms will face the street and the common room the inner part of the quad.

Blocks A-H are part of the northern part of this block (from the left to right), whereas block J (I think) is on the east (right) side, starting from the north and moving south as the letters progress.

Hope that helps somewhat!

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Fri May 14, 2010 9:38 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Here's some help for decoding, as mentioned:

1st Number = Floor Number.
2nd Number = Sorry, I don't know which corresponds to what, nor do I know if you'll have a quad or street view. I ended up having a 1st floor street view (which I was disappointed in initially), but ultimately worked out perfectly.. I think 2nd floors in most halls are shared, which means the bedrooms will face the street and the common room the inner part of the quad.

Blocks A-H are part of the northern part of this block (from the left to right), whereas block J (I think) is on the east (right) side, starting from the north and moving south as the letters progress.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Wow, it appears, then, that I have a pri-mo room! So excited!!

(And, hate to be a bother, but could someone please point me in the direction of the online exam bank? Thanks!!)

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Here's some help for decoding, as mentioned:

1st Number = Floor Number.
2nd Number = Sorry, I don't know which corresponds to what, nor do I know if you'll have a quad or street view. I ended up having a 1st floor street view (which I was disappointed in initially), but ultimately worked out perfectly.. I think 2nd floors in most halls are shared, which means the bedrooms will face the street and the common room the inner part of the quad.

Blocks A-H are part of the northern part of this block (from the left to right), whereas block J (I think) is on the east (right) side, starting from the north and moving south as the letters progress.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Wow, it appears, then, that I have a pri-mo room! So excited!!

(And, hate to be a bother, but could someone please point me in the direction of the online exam bank? Thanks!!)


Can you say gunner? What the hell do you need the exam bank for before class even starts or you know who your professor is?

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Fri May 14, 2010 10:03 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Here's some help for decoding, as mentioned:

1st Number = Floor Number.
2nd Number = Sorry, I don't know which corresponds to what, nor do I know if you'll have a quad or street view. I ended up having a 1st floor street view (which I was disappointed in initially), but ultimately worked out perfectly.. I think 2nd floors in most halls are shared, which means the bedrooms will face the street and the common room the inner part of the quad.

Blocks A-H are part of the northern part of this block (from the left to right), whereas block J (I think) is on the east (right) side, starting from the north and moving south as the letters progress.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Wow, it appears, then, that I have a pri-mo room! So excited!!

(And, hate to be a bother, but could someone please point me in the direction of the online exam bank? Thanks!!)


Can you say gunner? What the hell do you need the exam bank for before class even starts or you know who your professor is?

Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

You should have seen me when I visited Northwestern in March! I know more about Chicago than the locals!

Anyway, I just want to poke around, familiarize myself with the interface, and log the address in my book of all-things-Michigan.

Thus, if you would be so kind....

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thalassocrat » Fri May 14, 2010 10:04 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Here's some help for decoding, as mentioned:

1st Number = Floor Number.
2nd Number = Sorry, I don't know which corresponds to what, nor do I know if you'll have a quad or street view. I ended up having a 1st floor street view (which I was disappointed in initially), but ultimately worked out perfectly.. I think 2nd floors in most halls are shared, which means the bedrooms will face the street and the common room the inner part of the quad.

Blocks A-H are part of the northern part of this block (from the left to right), whereas block J (I think) is on the east (right) side, starting from the north and moving south as the letters progress.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Wow, it appears, then, that I have a pri-mo room! So excited!!

(And, hate to be a bother, but could someone please point me in the direction of the online exam bank? Thanks!!)


Can you say gunner? What the hell do you need the exam bank for before class even starts or you know who your professor is?


:lol: Boredom and desire to see what they look like?

And since it's the second time you've asked, it's on the library's website. If you need more than that you're not a very good gunner.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:09 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

You should have seen me when I visited Northwestern in March! I know more about Chicago than the locals!

Anyway, I just want to poke around, familiarize myself with the interface, and log the address in my book of all-things-Michigan.

Thus, if you would be so kind....


I'll believe you...for now. Your lucky I saw this the other day while looking for Lexis for work. Log-in to M Law Live, go to Academics/Law Library, Law students tab, then Reserves and Exams.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Any prior military GI bill users in here? I need my fall course schedule to setup my gi bill with the university coordinator but the registrars office stopped answering my e-mails :-/ How did you all do it your 1L year?

User avatar
cutiewiddlebebe
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

You should have seen me when I visited Northwestern in March! I know more about Chicago than the locals!

Anyway, I just want to poke around, familiarize myself with the interface, and log the address in my book of all-things-Michigan.

Thus, if you would be so kind....


I'll believe you...for now. Your lucky I saw this the other day while looking for Lexis for work. Log-in to M Law Live, go to Academics/Law Library, Law students tab, then Reserves and Exams.

Many thanks. I never would have found that.

User avatar
Geat27
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

will answer your questions about the first year at Michigan

Postby Geat27 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:00 pm

I am a Michigan student who has just finished my 1L year. I'm staying up late working on (of all things) a law journal application. I'm volunteering to answer any questions about what the first year is like at Michigan in particular.

leftofthedial
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: will answer your questions about the first year at Michigan

Postby leftofthedial » Sun May 16, 2010 11:06 pm

So is everyone still super nice and friendly after a year? Thanks.

User avatar
goblue1646
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: will answer your questions about the first year at Michigan

Postby goblue1646 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Are the classes super cutthroat hard? Also, did you live in the lawyers club and if you did, how was it? Thanks! :D




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest