Page 90 of 94

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:07 pm
by Sarastro
Li'l Sebastian wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Agreed. If you live at the LC, a car is actually VERY annoying to have (I have to pay for parking that's almost a mile away.)


How much does that cost? I visited recently and street parking absolutely doesn't seem like an option near campus.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:07 pm
by Tbone17
Has anyone, or someone they knew, in this forum received Need-Based Aid from Michigan?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm
by Li'l Sebastian
Sarastro wrote:
Li'l Sebastian wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Agreed. If you live at the LC, a car is actually VERY annoying to have (I have to pay for parking that's almost a mile away.)


How much does that cost? I visited recently and street parking absolutely doesn't seem like an option near campus.


200yr for the Storage Lot.

There is no free option at all. You have to either buy a private spot, or else park in the storage lot. The lots near campus require you to move your car everyday. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PARK OVERNIGHT.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:40 pm
by dietcoke1
is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:45 pm
by S.Picquery
dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?


+1 I would really like to know the answer to this question. Also, where else did you get in/was it also with no $$?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm
by GFox345
dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?


I personally am not paying sticker, but I know some people who are. The LRAP program here is solid, but objectively speaking, it is not worth it to attend really ANY law school for sticker price. To Michigan's credit, it has one of the cheapest CoAs in the entire T14, and there are lots of employment opportunities through the law school and University in general that make it feasible to cover your Room & Board out of pocket. It's doable, but even if you're very disciplined you're going to end up graduating with roughly 200k in debt. That's quite a steep hill to climb.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm
by guynourmin
dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan?

Just under half the class (47.6%) is receiving $10,000 (basically sticker) or less (including sticker). I have the same question as you, though: how many of them are actually debt financing their education?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:12 pm
by 16to19
I'd say part of the Michigan thing is people don't really talk much about what their aid package looks like (do people elsewhere?). You kind of get a sense of which friends are getting loans around dispersal time but no one really talks about it.

To your question: my sense is a decent number, but no clue what that looks like. This is the perfect sort of question for the admissions folks.

guybourdin wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan?

Just under half the class (47.6%) is receiving $10,000 (basically sticker) or less (including sticker). I have the same question as you, though: how many of them are actually debt financing their education?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 am
by TheodoreKGB
Tbone17 wrote:Has anyone, or someone they knew, in this forum received Need-Based Aid from Michigan?

I got about 60k in need-based aid. PM for more info.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 pm
by dryoasis
Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm
by blueapple
dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


Real deal. I didn't do it but know a lot of people who did during 2L and 3L

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm
by dryoasis
blueapple wrote:
dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


Real deal. I didn't do it but know a lot of people who did during 2L and 3L


Sweet!

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am
by nyu2019maybeplease
Totally doable. I have a friend doing it as a 3L now.

dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:31 pm
by Sarastro
Dumb question, but how does GSI reduced tuition work with scholarships? For example, if you end up with a GSI position that offers 100% tuition, does that just essentially negate any scholarships, or do you get the surplus as cash monies?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm
by deuceindc
Sarastro wrote:Dumb question, but how does GSI reduced tuition work with scholarships? For example, if you end up with a GSI position that offers 100% tuition, does that just essentially negate any scholarships, or do you get the surplus as cash monies?


Not a dumb question. The school pays you the value of your scholarship, up to $25k/yr (or at least that was the limit last year).

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm
by deuceindc
dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


This is real, but the placements can be competitive. I have friends who've done it since 1L, they're busy af but have lots of cash.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 pm
by strawberrieee
dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


One guy in my section is currently doing it as an 1L. He doesn't seem to be very busy as the previous post said though.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 am
by brinicolec
Anyone ITT successfully negotiate their Michigan scholly up from nothing to something slightly acceptable? If so, please PM me!

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 pm
by brinicolec
Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Any classes/professors you all recommend sitting in on?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 pm
by deuceindc
brinicolec wrote:Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Any classes/professors you all recommend sitting in on?


Highlight reel of current course offerings:

R. Primus - Con Law
E. Primus - Crim Pro
Pottow - Bankruptcy
Crane - Antitrust
Herzog - First Amendment
Litman - Copyright

All of those profs are leaders in those fields. But if you only attend one, I'd recommend R. Primus: he's brilliant, he uses the Socratic method well, and it's a 1L course.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm
by brinicolec
deuceindc wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Any classes/professors you all recommend sitting in on?


Highlight reel of current course offerings:

R. Primus - Con Law
E. Primus - Crim Pro
Pottow - Bankruptcy
Crane - Antitrust
Herzog - First Amendment
Litman - Copyright

All of those profs are leaders in those fields. But if you only attend one, I'd recommend R. Primus: he's brilliant, he uses the Socratic method well, and it's a 1L course.



Perfect, thanks!

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm
by brinicolec
As I mentioned, I'm visiting Michigan individually and have scheduled to meet with someone in the fin aid office (the dean, actually). I plan on meeting with them to discuss cost concerns (I didn't get any money from them)/put a face/voice to my name for when I try to convince them I'm worth the money. Should I bring any scholarship offers I have so far just in case she asks me what other offers I'm considering?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm
by nyu2019maybeplease
yes.
brinicolec wrote:As I mentioned, I'm visiting Michigan individually and have scheduled to meet with someone in the fin aid office (the dean, actually). I plan on meeting with them to discuss cost concerns (I didn't get any money from them)/put a face/voice to my name for when I try to convince them I'm worth the money. Should I bring any scholarship offers I have so far just in case she asks me what other offers I'm considering?

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 pm
by ChervonaKatya
brinicolec wrote:Perfect, thanks!


Had Pottow last semester and have R. Primus now. Agree with prioritizing R.Pri. His class is exciting and like riding a roller coaster if you're someone who might be called on and he's an excellent professor all around. I would maybe add Sherman Clark's evidence class as an option. I haven't been in his class, but he ran a mock class for us at ASW and was fantastic and he is a Michigan institution. Also, he's extremely kind and approachable (I ended up talking to him for two hours at an incoming students reception in NYC).

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm
by bestwishes
I read that Michigan has made their hard curve easier in recent years. Can anyone share what the grading curve is now?