Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emperor of Ice-Cream
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Emperor of Ice-Cream » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Entchen wrote:
Emperor of Ice-Cream wrote:Is it possible to eat in the LC dining room regularly - even daily - without living in the LC? Anyone done this? I've searched through old threads, but the information is either out of date or inconclusive.


If you bring a lunch of your own, a friend can sign you in as a guest. You can also pay to eat their meals, but I think they are pretty expensive. I don't think you can get a meal plan if you are not a resident, but I guess you could ask?


Thanks, Entchen!

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby jdmonkey » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 am

Transfer students please join the FB group, so we know who we are! I apologize for the boring web design, but at least it can't get any worse.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381225375491949/

KingsleyZissou
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:08 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby KingsleyZissou » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 pm

To any 3Ls out there - Heading to AA in May next year; if any of you are leaving your apartments this spring that are within walking distance of the law school and in a quiet area, please PM me.

I'm looking to lock something down early since I know that housing close to the law school, but also in a quiet area is difficult to come by.

- KZ

Shortterm12
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Shortterm12 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Are the premium size LC rooms worth the extra cost?

Shortterm12
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Shortterm12 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Shortterm12 wrote:Are the premium size LC rooms worth the extra cost?


Anyone? Insight/experience would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby jrthor10 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:41 pm

In my opinion, yes. I was out of college for three years living like a normal person, so it was nice to have the xtra room for all my crap + just to feel like I wasn't living in a dorm. That said, the premium room sizes vary fairly dramatically. Mine was on the smaller end and I still felt like I got my money's worth.

Shortterm12
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Shortterm12 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:21 pm

jrthor10 wrote:In my opinion, yes. I was out of college for three years living like a normal person, so it was nice to have the xtra room for all my crap + just to feel like I wasn't living in a dorm. That said, the premium room sizes vary fairly dramatically. Mine was on the smaller end and I still felt like I got my money's worth.


Perfect, thanks so much for this! Also, this may be a stupid question, but are the extra large rooms off by themselves (corner rooms or something)? Thanks!

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby jdmonkey » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 pm

By the time I got into the school there was a 25 person wait list. Can one live in LC as a 3L? It seems like it would be a fun experience. I was just in there for EIW and the place was as nice on the inside as it was on the outside.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cron1834 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Just read through a gazillion pages of this - thanks to currents and formers alike! Any suggestions for supps? I'm looking at:

Bagley/Civ Pro
Schneider/Property
Schlanger/Torts

any help is appreciated!

aladdinismyprince
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:33 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby aladdinismyprince » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:46 am

cron1834 wrote:Just read through a gazillion pages of this - thanks to currents and formers alike! Any suggestions for supps? I'm looking at:

Bagley/Civ Pro
Schneider/Property
Schlanger/Torts

any help is appreciated!


I used this book for property w/ Schneider: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Pro ... 0820570710. It was the most useful supplement I could find.

You will quickly learn that Schneider doesn't really teach BLL. He teaches property as a "skills" course, so really, a supplement might not be necessary. And he doesn't teach the really hard stuff, like the rule against perpetuity. But 1/3 of his exam will probs be an issue spotter, so you need to have some sort of grasp on the law. PM if you want more info...

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cron1834 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 am

aladdinismyprince wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Just read through a gazillion pages of this - thanks to currents and formers alike! Any suggestions for supps? I'm looking at:

Bagley/Civ Pro
Schneider/Property
Schlanger/Torts

any help is appreciated!


I used this book for property w/ Schneider: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Pro ... 0820570710. It was the most useful supplement I could find.

You will quickly learn that Schneider doesn't really teach BLL. He teaches property as a "skills" course, so really, a supplement might not be necessary. And he doesn't teach the really hard stuff, like the rule against perpetuity. But 1/3 of his exam will probs be an issue spotter, so you need to have some sort of grasp on the law. PM if you want more info...


Thanks much for this! I'll hit you up with a PM later ... and you're welcome to a couple brews on me if interested.

Clemson772
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Clemson772 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:40 am

.
Last edited by Clemson772 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salvage
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby salvage » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Clemson772 wrote:Does anyone have any advice regarding Professor Moran for Crim?

I had him last semester and thought he was great. Certainly pro-Defendant (no surprise considering his work) but not to the extent that it made the class any worse/less useful. Class itself was super clear and straightforward, no hiding the ball. He uses an on-call system for class so you know when you really have to be prepared. Exam was similarly straightforward, although he guaranteed that every year there's a car search, yet none appeared on last semester's exam. Only thing that pissed me off.

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Vexed » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:25 am

jdmonkey wrote:By the time I got into the school there was a 25 person wait list. Can one live in LC as a 3L? It seems like it would be a fun experience. I was just in there for EIW and the place was as nice on the inside as it was on the outside.


I've met a few living in the LC.

Clemson772
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Clemson772 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:07 pm

.
Last edited by Clemson772 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salvage
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby salvage » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 am

Clemson772 wrote:
salvage wrote:
Clemson772 wrote:Does anyone have any advice regarding Professor Moran for Crim?

I had him last semester and thought he was great. Certainly pro-Defendant (no surprise considering his work) but not to the extent that it made the class any worse/less useful. Class itself was super clear and straightforward, no hiding the ball. He uses an on-call system for class so you know when you really have to be prepared. Exam was similarly straightforward, although he guaranteed that every year there's a car search, yet none appeared on last semester's exam. Only thing that pissed me off.


Thanks! I looked over his exams and they don't seem too daunting when compared to others (Miller). Do you have any suggestions regarding study materials or specific areas to focus on?

PM me your email and I'll shoot you my outline.

Life2good893
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Life2good893 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:15 am

Anyone participated in the Human Trafficking Clinical Program have feedback? Strongly interested.....

User avatar
flyingboy
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby flyingboy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:22 pm

Does anyone have an outline for Sonja Starr's Crim class? Thanks!

Backpacker
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Backpacker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Life2good893 wrote:Anyone participated in the Human Trafficking Clinical Program have feedback? Strongly interested.....
What would you like to know? Been working with the clinic for two semesters now - I'd say the bulk of the work is related to client's immigration needs, with the opportunity to play a role in almost any other "legal issue" the client runs into (victim support during the trafficker's prosecution, subsidized housing applications, so on).

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby usernotfound » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Quick question for any current Michigan students:

In regards to need-based aid, it seems as though Michigan does not consider parental financial information. If that's the case, I can only assume most 0L's are not wealthy by any standard, so exactly what criteria do they use to issue need-based aid? Is need-based aid common or is there some evident threshold for being awarded? Thanks.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby cron1834 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:01 pm

usernotfound wrote:Quick question for any current Michigan students:

In regards to need-based aid, it seems as though Michigan does not consider parental financial information. If that's the case, I can only assume most 0L's are not wealthy by any standard, so exactly what criteria do they use to issue need-based aid? Is need-based aid common or is there some evident threshold for being awarded? Thanks.


FinAid wrote:Law School grants are offered by the Financial Aid Office to students who show exceptional financial need. In assessing need, we take into account a variety of historical factors, such as Pell eligibility as an undergraduate, as well as current financial factors, such as income and assets. We do not require applicants to submit any parental financial records. First-year admitted students may complete a very short online questionnaire to determine whether additional forms need to be completed. Financial aid notices typically are emailed beginning in early March and provide the applicant a three-year aid package.

I wouldn't count on this, unless you have a unique background. I'm sure some people get it, but nobody I'm close with did.

joechart
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:33 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby joechart » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Any current Michigan JD international student here?

secadc11
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby secadc11 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm visiting Michigan outside of the preview weekends. I will have one late night to go out, eat a good dinner, and then see the bars/social scene of Ann Arbor.

Where would you recommend?

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Aeon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:34 pm

secadc11 wrote:I'm visiting Michigan outside of the preview weekends. I will have one late night to go out, eat a good dinner, and then see the bars/social scene of Ann Arbor.

Where would you recommend?


As far as dinner, downtown Ann Arbor has too many restaurants to count. For a unique (though more on the expensive side) dinner experience, the Gandy Dancer, located in the former train station, is neat. If you're into liquor and cigars, La Dolce Vita downtown is great. There is of course Zingerman's as well. Sava's on State Street is good. Amadeus Restaurant (central European fare) is a small but very good place. Ashley's is a wonderful pub with an impressive beer and whiskey selection.

For nightlife, Rick's American Cafe and Necto Nightclub are popular. For more cerebral fare, there's the Blind Pig.

secadc11
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby secadc11 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Aeon wrote:
secadc11 wrote:I'm visiting Michigan outside of the preview weekends. I will have one late night to go out, eat a good dinner, and then see the bars/social scene of Ann Arbor.

Where would you recommend?


As far as dinner, downtown Ann Arbor has too many restaurants to count. For a unique (though more on the expensive side) dinner experience, the Gandy Dancer, located in the former train station, is neat. If you're into liquor and cigars, La Dolce Vita downtown is great. There is of course Zingerman's as well. Sava's on State Street is good. Amadeus Restaurant (central European fare) is a small but very good place. Ashley's is a wonderful pub with an impressive beer and whiskey selection.

For nightlife, Rick's American Cafe and Necto Nightclub are popular. For more cerebral fare, there's the Blind Pig.


Very helpful! Thank you.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlorbust and 3 guests