Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Reinhardt

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:58 am

Every year one of the deans emails a notice saying the ABA requires class attendance. If you're never there the professors will notice and you will get in some sort of trouble, I'd suspect.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Class schedules just released. Can't find anything on Gabriel Mendlow for criminal law. Can anyone speak to him or his class?

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm

jrthor10 wrote:Class schedules just released. Can't find anything on Gabriel Mendlow for criminal law. Can anyone speak to him or his class?

https://www.law.umich.edu/FacultyBio/Pa ... ID=mendlow

I believe he is brand new.

Yossarian79

Postby Yossarian79 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:33 pm

I actually met him and chatted briefly during ASW. He seems like a really nice guy -- very young and pretty brilliant.

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:10 pm

If someone were looking for housing this late in the game, where would one look.. I looked at http://www.offcampus.housing.umich.edu/ ... stings.cfm and http://web.law.umich.edu/LawClassifieds ... r=SaleRent but looking for more places. Any help is much appreciated!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Craigslist maybe? You could also live in the student housing in north campus (they never sell out) but it is kind of far. I am a 3L summer starter so if you get stuck out there in north campus but want to move closer next semester, PM me.

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Craigslist maybe? You could also live in the student housing in north campus (they never sell out) but it is kind of far. I am a 3L summer starter so if you get stuck out there in north campus but want to move closer next semester, PM me.

craigslist has pretty much only crazy expensive places (~1000-1300) right now. how far of a walk is north campus to the law school?
thanks!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:06 pm

It's too far to walk. They have buses that run from north campus to central campus frequently. The price will be about the same there but I'm subletting my place that is 450 a month about a block away from the law school. You could try emailing law open as well. There might be someone out there doing an internship or study abroad that hasn't subleted their place and is willing to do so.

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 pm

AreJay711 wrote:It's too far to walk. They have buses that run from north campus to central campus frequently. The price will be about the same there but I'm subletting my place that is 450 a month about a block away from the law school. You could try emailing law open as well. There might be someone out there doing an internship or study abroad that hasn't subleted their place and is willing to do so.

Okay thanks!

sportaddict144

Postby sportaddict144 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Anyone have anything to say about Uhlmann, Schneider, Falon, or Cooper?

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm

sportaddict144 wrote:Anyone have anything to say about Uhlmann, Schneider, Falon, or Cooper?

PM'd.

Da1andOnlyPharo

Postby Da1andOnlyPharo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Question,

I've been able to navigate around the student center to find my classes and textbooks and all of that, but I am wondering if there is a site where teachers post syllabi, or class materials on. We used a site like that quite frequently at my UG. Just having a hard time locating it if it exists.

How does one access it?

salvage

Postby salvage » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:Question,

I've been able to navigate around the student center to find my classes and textbooks and all of that, but I am wondering if there is a site where teachers post syllabi, or class materials on. We used a site like that quite frequently at my UG. Just having a hard time locating it if it exists.

How does one access it?

CTools

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:54 pm

salvage wrote:
Da1andOnlyPharo wrote:Question,

How does one access it?

CTools

This. The address is ctools.umich.edu, and you sign in with your uniqname.

nannygoatgruff

Postby nannygoatgruff » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Three questions for you folks re: Contracts

1. Any advice for someone taking Soper for Contracts?

2. A few have remarked (on the law prof rating site) that everyone should have a tutor for Contracts no matter who one has for a professor. What's the feeling about this?

3. Student tutors are unavailable until after we get our first semester grades which are not yet out for summer starters. Where might we find a list of private tutors...or do you have some recommendations?

Many thanks!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:25 pm

nannygoatgruff wrote:Three questions for you folks re: Contracts

2. A few have remarked (on the law prof rating site) that everyone should have a tutor for Contracts no matter who one has for a professor. What's the feeling about this?

3. Student tutors are unavailable until after we get our first semester grades which are not yet out for summer starters. Where might we find a list of private tutors...or do you have some recommendations?

Many thanks!

What in the world? Do people actually get tutors? Legit question. I've never heard of it.

If you're really worried, Chirlestein is a decent ks tutor.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:58 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

Many thanks!

What in the world? Do people actually get tutors? Legit question. I've never heard of it.

Yeah. If your GPA is low enough they will offer you a tutor and if your GPA is high enough they will ask you to be one.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

Many thanks!

Back in the day, you could get a tutor no matter your GPA. So my first semester (fall 2007), lots of people got one for Contracts. Maybe he/she was reading an old thread.

rendlelaw

Postby rendlelaw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Oh, hey there super active thread.

Just got in today, really excited about Michigan and about Ann Arbor. I'll probably have more questions in the future, but right now my wife and I spend a lot of time checking out Trulia, so let's focus on housing. We have two little ones and, let's face it, will probably increase that number before we're done with law school.

1. What are people's opinions of the campus graduate student housing? It seems pretty nice from the website, complete with basements and decent space.

2. If we didn't live there, where do the young families tend to congregate?

3. Where else might you recommend? We are really excited about Ann Arbor, but don't necessarily want to live right down town. We'd like to keep it under $1750 a month, while balancing our needs for space and access to campus and keeping the commute down to 20 mins or less.

Thanks for the help!

cslouisck

Postby cslouisck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm

rendlelaw wrote:Oh, hey there super active thread.

1. What are people's opinions of the campus graduate student housing? It seems pretty nice from the website, complete with basements and decent space.

2. If we didn't live there, where do the young families tend to congregate?

3. Where else might you recommend? We are really excited about Ann Arbor, but don't necessarily want to live right down town. We'd like to keep it under $1750 a month, while balancing our needs for space and access to campus and keeping the commute down to 20 mins or less.

Thanks for the help!

Congrats! Not sure what your other options are at this point, but I'd definitely recommend A2, especially if you have kids. My wife and I don't, but it's a super kid friendly community (down to the kids' menus at the brewpubs). In response to your questions:

1. Just don't. The units are all pretty cheap, and they seem to be a favorite among international grad students, but they're a ways out and lack anything in the way of aesthetic value. We only know one couple who lives out there and they don't seem to be enjoying the experience.

2. I don't think there's one "young family" place exactly since Ann Arbor's so small. There are probably some places to avoid like the South U area where undergrads congregate and the solo cups litter the streets, but aside from that, you'd be in good shape almost anywhere.

3. Even with your budget, I think it'll be tough for you to find a house in A2. Two bedroom apartments are more plentiful, and we see plenty of kids in our complex on the west side which has some three bedrooms as well. In general, housing splits pretty evenly between the single family for-sale stuff and the 6-bedroom rentals for undergrads. That's not to say a 3/1 or 3/2 in your price range doesn't exist, but you'd better start sitting on Craigslist/Padmapper now if that's your goal. Buying wouldn't be the end of the world either if you're okay with losing the liquidity.

Within 20 minutes, Saline and Dexter are both nice spots -- pure small-town Americana with good schools. Ypsi is a mixed bag: cheaper, good in some places (e.g. Dept Town) and less attractive in others. People split on whether it's the Brooklyn to Ann Arbor's Manhattan or one step from murderous anarchy.

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck with your decision and congrats again!

rendlelaw

Postby rendlelaw » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks! You've given us a lot of good information to think about. We both really appreciate it.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:46 pm

any word on how big law summer hiring went for the most recent class?

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:42 pm

californiauser wrote:any word on how big law summer hiring went for the most recent class?

You're going to hear mixed things. My core group of friends (like 10-15?) all have market biglaw, many of whom were non-IP K-JDs at or below median. I also know lots of people (almost half of my 1L section and a handful of people I know from other sections) that were dead set on PI or non-law careers from the beginning (like, they said this on orientation day). Those people obviously didn't do OCI. I know for a fact that most of the PI/non-law people I know had great grades and social skills.

At the same time, it sounds like there was a significant portion that wanted biglaw but struck out. All of what I'm saying is purely anecdotal, though. There's probably more strikeouts than you're going to hear about because people are more likely to discuss their success than striking out.

You're really not going to get any meaningful data until the new employment numbers come out. Even then, the numbers only tell you so much. My guess is that it'll be similar to the "new normal" numbers we've seen the past couple years. So, 50% biglaw (100+ attorneys)/fed clerkship, give or take 10%.

Here's the thread from this year's OCI. Have fun: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=211765&hilit=Michigan+OCI

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
californiauser wrote:any word on how big law summer hiring went for the most recent class?

You're going to hear mixed things. My core group of friends (like 10-15?) all have market biglaw, many of whom were non-IP K-JDs at or below median. I also know lots of people (almost half of my 1L section and a handful of people I know from other sections) that were dead set on PI or non-law careers from the beginning (like, they said this on orientation day). Those people obviously didn't do OCI. I know for a fact that most of the PI/non-law people I know had great grades and social skills.

At the same time, it sounds like there was a significant portion that wanted biglaw but struck out. All of what I'm saying is purely anecdotal, though. There's probably more strikeouts than you're going to hear about because people are more likely to discuss their success than striking out.

You're really not going to get any meaningful data until the new employment numbers come out. Even then, the numbers only tell you so much. My guess is that it'll be similar to the "new normal" numbers we've seen the past couple years. So, 50% biglaw (100+ attorneys)/fed clerkship, give or take 10%.

Here's the thread from this year's OCI. Have fun: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=211765&hilit=Michigan+OCI

Thanks for the information.

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:10 am

Hi all - thanks for doing this.

I saw this asked elsewhere but don't remember seeing an answer. Is it accurate that the curve is being bumped up for the class of 2016 and later? Do you think this could have a positive effect (even if it's a very small one) on employment prospects?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”