Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
deffoe

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby deffoe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:26 pm

How is the LC board plan for vegan/veg folks?
Please tell me they at least have a well-stocked salad bar at every meal?!

Is there any place online that provides specifics about the food offerings?
This is seriously my one hold-up about the LC ...

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:52 pm

deffoe wrote:How is the LC board plan for vegan/veg folks?

You should probably just contact the law school directly, I'm sure they'd have a detailed answer for you. I can't imagine them not having good veg options though, tons of people here are veg of some kind.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Michigan students!

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

curious66

Postby curious66 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:40 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
deffoe wrote:How is the LC board plan for vegan/veg folks?

You should probably just contact the law school directly, I'm sure they'd have a detailed answer for you. I can't imagine them not having good veg options though, tons of people here are veg of some kind.

I remember seeing a veg option on the LC website or brochure from ASW. They don't accommodate Kosher is what I remember.

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 am

Hello all,

I'm a summer starter thinking of subleting one bedroom in a two-bedroom apartment in Northwood campus. The rent (incl. util) is generous, the apt is air-contidioned, and I will be sharing the apt with one person that I distantly know from friends to be clean, tidy and responsible. But I've heard negative reviews about Nortwood housing in general, that only few law students ever live there.

I neither own a car nor plan to have one, so school buses will be my only means of transportation.

I'm mostly worried if:
1) living far from the law school is a bad idea for 1L, even for one semester (summer)
2) living in Northwood would jeopardize my chance of getting invovled and becoming friends with other summer starters

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 am

Ramsey wrote:Hello all,

I'm a summer starter thinking of subleting one bedroom in a two-bedroom apartment in Northwood campus. The rent (incl. util) is generous, the apt is air-contidioned, and I will be sharing the apt with one person that I distantly know from friends to be clean, tidy and responsible. But I've heard negative reviews about Nortwood housing in general, that only few law students ever live there.

I neither own a car nor plan to have one, so school buses will be my only means of transportation.

I'm mostly worried if:
1) living far from the law school is a bad idea for 1L, even for one semester (summer)
2) living in Northwood would jeopardize my chance of getting invovled and becoming friends with other summer starters

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)

People are always very concerned about making friends, but the fact of the thing is EVERYONE wants to make friends, you will know your whole summer start class well, and you will already do tons of things with them (unless you actively avoid it I suppose). If you're on a bus line I can't imagine you'll regret living a little out of the way.

demarco5

Postby demarco5 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:51 am

Question for current students: Would it be a poor life choice to plan to be away for a weekend at the beginning of November? Trying to decide if I can join in on a family vacation for the weekend of Nov. 9 and 10. We have to book it soon unfortunately. I really want to go, but I don't want to hate myself for booking this come November. Thanks so much.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:09 pm

^^You'll be able to get out of town for a weekend. Early November isn't too crazy yet.

Also, to the other poster above, I'm decently far off campus this year (1L) and it's been fine in terms of meeting people, going out, etc. It's a little bit more of a hassle to figure out transportation/parking plans, but nothing too problematic.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:57 am

How much pull does having a 1l SA mid-law (100 attorney firm) in a state you don't want to ultimately practice (outside any major market) position has on getting a 2l SA at a big law firm in a major market?

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Imjustjoking22 and Buckingham, thanks for the input :)

A few eclectic questions for anyone to chime in:

1) Insurance: what kind of health insurance do you guys have?
2) Geneva: does anyone have direct/indirect experiences with the externship program? How competitive is it to get the internship of your choice? Do externs usually have prior experiences (and/or additional langauge skills) in the related fields?
3) Cold calls: how often does cold calling happen in a typical 1L class?
4) Clothes: I've been working overseas for a while that my wardrobe has been de-Americanized (no jeans) and too feminine (laces, flower prints, heels). What do 1Ls usually wear??

Thanks in advance!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am

I can answer #1 and #4 for you.

1) Most people stay on their parents' insurance because of the ACA age increase. I'm too old to qualify, so I just bought the student insurance. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than any other out-of-pocket insurance you can get.

4) People wear whatever they want. You may want to get jeans/comfort clothes just for you, that's fine, but no one is going to care if you want to keeping wearing dresses/heels/floral prints and plenty of people wear dresses to class, especially when the weather is nice. (Although you probably want to have some snow/cold-friendly stuff for winter semester).

zoidberg86

Postby zoidberg86 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:33 am

keg411 wrote:especially when the weather is nice.

I'm just happy to hear that there is nice weather :D Thanks for the answers, was wondering about insurance myself.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Ramsey wrote:Imjustjoking22 and Buckingham, thanks for the input :)

2) Geneva: does anyone have direct/indirect experiences with the externship program? How competitive is it to get the internship of your choice? Do externs usually have prior experiences (and/or additional langauge skills) in the related fields?
4) Clothes: I've been working overseas for a while that my wardrobe has been de-Americanized (no jeans) and too feminine (laces, flower prints, heels). What do 1Ls usually wear??

Thanks in advance!

3) Depends on the prof, honestly. I went through all of my 1L classes without ever having an intense cold-caller.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu May 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks in advance!

4) Honestly, I wore sweatpants probably to the majority of my classes. It was glorious, and I highly recommend it. But no one really cares what you wear :)

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 am

BuckinghamB wrote:

Thanks in advance!

4) Honestly, I wore sweatpants probably to the majority of my classes. It was glorious, and I highly recommend it. But no one really cares what you wear :)

noooooo sweatpants noooo

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Sat May 11, 2013 9:57 am

imjustjoking22 wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Thanks in advance!

noooooo sweatpants noooo

haters gonna hate

zoidberg86

Postby zoidberg86 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Hey all -

Received an email not long about the MAP program. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the program / if it was worthwhile / etc.

Thanks!

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:40 am

zoidberg86 wrote:Hey all -

Received an email not long about the MAP program. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the program / if it was worthwhile / etc.

Thanks!

I don't have personal experience with it but I have a bunch of friends who loved it. The MAP kids tend to continue to hang out and do stuff throughout the year.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 22, 2013 10:45 am

qwertyboard wrote:How much pull does having a 1l SA mid-law (100 attorney firm) in a state you don't want to ultimately practice (outside any major market) position has on getting a 2l SA at a big law firm in a major market?

What you do your 1L year has very little impact on 2L OCI. I have read people saying that they think having a firm job helps, but I would not count on it being any different then if you'd had a job with a judge or at DOJ.

Thanks in advance!

I would say that in most courses you can expect to cold called 2-3 times over the semester. There are outliers though. Regarding clothes, most people dress very casually, like jeans and a t-shirt.

Langdell

Postby Langdell » Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Vikramaditya Khanna is visiting my school next year, and I'm thinking of taking Corporations with him. What's he like? And what are his exams like?
Thanks!

sunshinegirl

Postby sunshinegirl » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:57 pm

I have a question for out-of-state students who brought their cars to Michigan--did you have to change your driver's license, registration and/or insurance coverage?

I also have a general question about student health services--how often do students have to use their insurance plan benefits to supplement the care and services they receive from UHS? Thanks in advance!!

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 pm

No need to change your license plates
Last edited by Reinhardt on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Riegl

Postby Riegl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:13 am

Langdell wrote:Vikramaditya Khanna is visiting my school next year, and I'm thinking of taking Corporations with him. What's he like? And what are his exams like?
Thanks!

Professor Khanna is one of the most popular professors at Michigan. I had him for EO (basically Corporations) - he wasn't my favorite professor, but definitely top 3. He does a good job teaching the subject. His exams are very straightforward - multiple choice and an issue spotter.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:48 pm

So this is just kind of a ridiculous hypothetical, but how hard would it be for someone to just maintain a 2.0 at Mich? Could it be done without going to class?

I'm just playing an odd scenario in my mind.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:20 pm

untar614 wrote:So this is just kind of a ridiculous hypothetical, but how hard would it be for someone to just maintain a 2.0 at Mich? Could it be done without going to class?

I'm just playing an odd scenario in my mind.

All grades below C are discretionary and the professor needs to explain a reason for the low grade. Also the dean will ask professors to bump up people's grades that are below a C. Never going to class might be enough to do that, but probably not if you do the readings and spend the entire exam time working on you answer.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”