Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thelaststraw05

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:17 pm

hume85 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
hume85 wrote:How would you say things went relative to the employment outcomes for the class of 2011?

I can't really speak to that with any authority, but when I have talked to our OCP (aka OCS/CSO/whatever) they have suggested that outcomes have been better than either of the last two years.

Thank you. I really like Michigan, and would probably get money if I attended, but the numbers from 2011 have given me pause. I guess I will just have to wait until the numbers from 2012 are published.

Do remember that the class of 2011 numbers are from OCI 2009. The numbers that you'll see in February or March will be from OCI 2010. There is a substantial delay.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:37 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
hume85 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
hume85 wrote:How would you say things went relative to the employment outcomes for the class of 2011?

I can't really speak to that with any authority, but when I have talked to our OCP (aka OCS/CSO/whatever) they have suggested that outcomes have been better than either of the last two years.

Thank you. I really like Michigan, and would probably get money if I attended, but the numbers from 2011 have given me pause. I guess I will just have to wait until the numbers from 2012 are published.

Do remember that the class of 2011 numbers are from OCI 2009. The numbers that you'll see in February or March will be from OCI 2010. There is a substantial delay.

This. 2011 numbers are from the height of OCI sucking

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Thank you. I really like Michigan, and would probably get money if I attended, but the numbers from 2011 have given me pause. I guess I will just have to wait until the numbers from 2012 are published.[/quote]

Do remember that the class of 2011 numbers are from OCI 2009. The numbers that you'll see in February or March will be from OCI 2010. There is a substantial delay.[/quote]

This. 2011 numbers are from the height of OCI sucking[/quote]

Thank you, for pointing this out. I already knew this, but it is something of which prospective law students should be aware. I bring up 2011 and 2012 because they are years for which I will have hard data before I decide where to enroll. Being able to compare more recent outcomes to these years gives me the best picture of Michigan's current placement power.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
hume85 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

This might be a better picture of what's going on now-- http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/classstats/Pages/2Lstats.aspx

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Do remember that the class of 2011 numbers are from OCI 2009. The numbers that you'll see in February or March will be from OCI 2010. There is a substantial delay.[/quote]

This might be a better picture of what's going on now-- http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/classstats/Pages/2Lstats.aspx[/quote]

Thank you. I have visited Michigan's site a few times, but I didn't notice that page.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:52 am

BuckinghamB wrote:

This might be a better picture of what's going on now-- http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/classstats/Pages/2Lstats.aspx

I noticed that quite a few people summered with the DOJ, U.S. Attorney's Office, or impressive international organizations. What percentage of these people got full time offers from these internships?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:23 pm

hume85 wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

I noticed that quite a few people summered with the DOJ, U.S. Attorney's Office, or impressive international organizations. What percentage of these people got full time offers from these internships?

That's not the way those kinds of internships typically work. My understanding is that government work has to list through USAJobs regardless of your summer internship. I can't say anything about whether people went back or got related positions - I don't know - but I just wanted to say that isn't how those positions are typically measured.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:54 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
hume85 wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

That's not the way those kinds of internships typically work. My understanding is that government work has to list through USAJobs regardless of your summer internship. I can't say anything about whether people went back or got related positions - I don't know - but I just wanted to say that isn't how those positions are typically measured.

Thank you, that is helpful to know. Does anyone know what percentage of people go back to the DOJ/USAO or get related positions after working there during 2L summer?

salvage

Postby salvage » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Anybody know if profs tend to cancel classes on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving? I'm looking into airfare and would have to miss Wednesday classes.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:56 pm

salvage wrote:Anybody know if profs tend to cancel classes on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving? I'm looking into airfare and would have to miss Wednesday classes.

IIRC, no. But, most expect a large portion will skip.

yong1ekim

Postby yong1ekim » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey guys!

Can any 1L/2L/3L find some time to take a look at my WHY MICHIGAN essay?
I am genuinely interested in Michigan and I feel like I have a decent chance at acceptance (3.84 GPA, 169 LSAT).
That said, I feel like my WHY Michigan essay needs to be stellar to give me the best chances at RD.

Thank you so much! I can PM or email the essay to you whenever.

Prospective Wolverine

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Has anyone taken Sales and Secured Financing with Buiteweg? I'm looking for any info on him as a prof (he's not listed on the LawProfGuide website) and the class in general. TYIA.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi all,

The cost of attendance is estimated to be $69,950 for out-of-state students on the Michigan website, and Rent/Utilities/Food is estimated to be $12,000 for the 8 months of the school year (--LinkRemoved--). Are these two numbers realistic for someone that doesn't eat extravagantly and plans to have their own bedroom somewhere near campus? Is the $12,000 realistic for someone living in the Lawyers Club? Thanks in advance.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:53 pm

hume85 wrote:Hi all,

The cost of attendance is estimated to be $69,950 for out-of-state students on the Michigan website, and Rent/Utilities/Food is estimated to be $12,000 for the 8 months of the school year (--LinkRemoved--). Are these two numbers realistic for someone that doesn't eat extravagantly and plans to have their own bedroom somewhere near campus? Is the $12,000 realistic for someone living in the Lawyers Club? Thanks in advance.

I doubt it's accurate. A one bedroom will cost you way more than sharing a 2 bedroom. I don't live downtown and pay $1,170 for a 2 bedroom. It can also be hard to find a summer subletter so you have to factor in paying rent over the summer too. (And the majority of 1L summer jobs are non-paying.)

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Although do keep in mind that the Lawyers Club is only for fall and winter terms, which means you don't have to factor in year-round costs for that. But it's also more expensive than other housing.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:42 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Although do keep in mind that the Lawyers Club is only for fall and winter terms, which means you don't have to factor in year-round costs for that. But it's also more expensive than other housing.

Do you know the cost of the Lawyers Club for the academic year? I looked on Michigan's website, but I couldn't find the cost.
Last edited by hume85 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 pm

The Duck wrote:

I doubt it's accurate. A one bedroom will cost you way more than sharing a 2 bedroom. I don't live downtown and pay $1,170 for a 2 bedroom. It can also be hard to find a summer subletter so you have to factor in paying rent over the summer too. (And the majority of 1L summer jobs are non-paying.)

Sorry for not being more clear: I don't need a one bedroom place, I just need my own bedroom. I wouldn't mind living in an apartment or house with many people, as long as they weren't crazy loud.

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 pm

hume85 wrote:
The Duck wrote:

Sorry for not being more clear: I don't need a one bedroom place, I just need my own bedroom. I wouldn't mind living in an apartment or house with many people, as long as they weren't crazy loud.

$12,000 for 8 months is more than enough. If you get a roommate, you can easily get away with paying less than $1000 for housing, leaving you $500 for food/utilities. Assuming you are single, you should easily be able to spend less than $500 on rent/utilities. Utilities, when split, including internet/electricity/gas should run less than $150, and you should be able to feed yourself well for less than $350 a month. You won't be able to eat out every night, but you can definitely make it work.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I think pretty much whatever way you want to go is do-able. There are definitely options if you're cheap and options if you want to spend more.

The new lawyer's club is supposed to be really nice after the construction plus you get pretty much all your meals included. Based on the descriptions and the new amenities, I'd say it's probably worth it for 1L's just to avoid the hassle. Looking for housing in Ann Arbor can be a huge headache.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

hume85 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Although do keep in mind that the Lawyers Club is only for fall and winter terms, which means you don't have to factor in year-round costs for that. But it's also more expensive than other housing.

Do you know the cost of the Lawyers Club for the academic year? I looked on Michigan's website, but I couldn't find the cost.

Not yet, although they're having a meeting on-campus in a couple days to tell students all this information. Can check it out for you (and other prospective students).

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Pathika wrote:
hume85 wrote:
The Duck wrote:

$12,000 for 8 months is more than enough. If you get a roommate, you can easily get away with paying less than $1000 for housing, leaving you $500 for food/utilities. Assuming you are single, you should easily be able to spend less than $500 on rent/utilities. Utilities, when split, including internet/electricity/gas should run less than $150, and you should be able to feed yourself well for less than $350 a month. You won't be able to eat out every night, but you can definitely make it work.

This doesn't at all factor in the cost of living over 1L (and potentially 2L) summer.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Pathika wrote:
hume85 wrote:
The Duck wrote:

Thank you for your help. I can probably swing $350 a month on food: this is about what I am paying right now in Berkeley.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
hume85 wrote:

Not yet, although they're having a meeting on-campus in a couple days to tell students all this information. Can check it out for you (and other prospective students).

Thank you, that would be great.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:41 pm

keg411 wrote:I think pretty much whatever way you want to go is do-able. There are definitely options if you're cheap and options if you want to spend more.

The new lawyer's club is supposed to be really nice after the construction plus you get pretty much all your meals included. Based on the descriptions and the new amenities, I'd say it's probably worth it for 1L's just to avoid the hassle. Looking for housing in Ann Arbor can be a huge headache.

This is what I have heard, but after the renovations I wonder what the cost of room/board/food at the Lawyers Club will be. Then again another couple of thousand at the margin is probably worth the convenience.

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 pm

The Duck wrote:This doesn't at all factor in the cost of living over 1L (and potentially 2L) summer.

Amazingly enough, that's why I prefaced my statement by saying "$12,000 for 8 months is more than enough." OP asked about the 8 month cost-of-living, so rather than be a negative fool, like you always are, I answered the question that was asked and did so in a helpful way.

How is it that you are nearing graduation and still can't read critically?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”