Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm doing MJIL but I'm lazy and didn't even apply to Law Reform (or Law Review for that matter). It is possible that the people who told me Law Reform doesn't really provide a boost were just rationalizing their own laziness.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Don't think you can make a bad decision between secondary journals. Obviously if you have a strong interest in international law MJIL might be a better choice.

clint4law
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby clint4law » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:15 pm

But the consensus is it'd be pretty dumb to not choose one, right?

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm

clint4law wrote:But the consensus is it'd be pretty dumb to not choose one, right?


Even if there is a marginal prestige difference you are making a 2 year commitment, IMHO you should pick whichever you will enjoy the most.

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Just » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:07 am

Is it true that only the top 10% in each class can get an A?

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 am

Just wrote:Is it true that only the top 10% in each class can get an A?

--LinkRemoved--

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Just » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 pm

sanguar wrote:
Just wrote:Is it true that only the top 10% in each class can get an A?

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks!

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 am

Just wrote:
sanguar wrote:
Just wrote:Is it true that only the top 10% in each class can get an A?

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks!


To answer the unasked question. It doesn't really matter that only the top 10% get an A. The people hiring you know that you're graded on a curve and view applicants accordingly.

There are very few firms that are expecting more A range grades than B range grades.

User avatar
lawyergirl47
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby lawyergirl47 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 am

Hey all,

I posted this in the legal employment forum, but realized more people would see it here....

I am a 2L looking to bid DC/NY at OCI. I know that DC is basically impossible, but I have significant ties to the market, and am trying to make it work. Would anyone who has experience bidding these markets be willing to look at my bid list?

Thanks so much!

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Any Michigan people ever take a class with Andrew W.K.'s dad?

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby buckilaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Any Michigan people ever take a class with Andrew W.K.'s dad?


I've taken a class with him. Their is a wide range of opinion re his reputation.

http://www.lawprofguide.com/james-krier.php

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Entchen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:53 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Any Michigan people ever take a class with Andrew W.K.'s dad?


I've taken a class with him. Their is a wide range of opinion re his reputation.

http://www.lawprofguide.com/james-krier.php


He is, at the very least, entertaining.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Any Michigan people ever take a class with Andrew W.K.'s dad?


On the WL for his real estate seminar. Need to figure out a way to get in.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Got him next semester, I believe at 8:45 in the morning, including on Fridays.

8)

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby buckilaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Entchen wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Any Michigan people ever take a class with Andrew W.K.'s dad?


I've taken a class with him. Their is a wide range of opinion re his reputation.

http://www.lawprofguide.com/james-krier.php


He is, at the very least, entertaining.


Yes, very very entertaining.

User avatar
Pathika
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Pathika » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on Kahn or Tax of Personal Income?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Pathika wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Kahn or Tax of Personal Income?


He's a good prof, but the class is very much a "you get it or you don't". I'd avoid if you don't have a pass/fail and don't think you'd be good at tax.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby buckilaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Does it really take three weeks to get our interview schedules for OCI?! I was under the impression that at most schools the turnaround between the end of bidding and schedules being put out is a matter of days.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:07 am

buckilaw wrote:Does it really take three weeks to get our interview schedules for OCI?! I was under the impression that at most schools the turnaround between the end of bidding and schedules being put out is a matter of days.


I remember it being about 1.5 weeks last year. But really, you don't need that much time.

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Just » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:07 am

Do the small sections get to do things together often? Or do they just take the LP classes together?

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 am

Just wrote:Do the small sections get to do things together often? Or do they just take the LP classes together?

Obvi I can just speak for summer start, but they try to keep you with your section as much as possible during orientation and then a few times earlier on (pizza meeting with the deans is the one thing I can think of OTTOMH). By week 3, it would be a little odd if you didn't know the names of everyone in your section.

NextStopRuggles
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby NextStopRuggles » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 pm

The Law School laptop buying guide (found here: http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... specs.aspx) says that an optical drive is recommended for both PC and Mac users. But do you really think it's necessary? Or even useful?

As always, if this question has been answered elsewhere, feel free to redirect me to the appropriate thread, and thanks in advance for your help.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 pm

NextStopRuggles wrote:The Law School laptop buying guide (found here: http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... specs.aspx) says that an optical drive is recommended for both PC and Mac users. But do you really think it's necessary? Or even useful?

As always, if this question has been answered elsewhere, feel free to redirect me to the appropriate thread, and thanks in advance for your help.


I don't even know what that is and I haven't had any computing problems.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:43 pm

keg411 wrote:
NextStopRuggles wrote:The Law School laptop buying guide (found here: http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... specs.aspx) says that an optical drive is recommended for both PC and Mac users. But do you really think it's necessary? Or even useful?

As always, if this question has been answered elsewhere, feel free to redirect me to the appropriate thread, and thanks in advance for your help.


I don't even know what that is and I haven't had any computing problems.


Disc drive

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:10 pm

keg411 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:Does it really take three weeks to get our interview schedules for OCI?! I was under the impression that at most schools the turnaround between the end of bidding and schedules being put out is a matter of days.


I remember it being about 1.5 weeks last year. But really, you don't need that much time.


I'm convinced the convinced the administration doesn't actually do any of this by computer.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests