Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JoeMo

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JoeMo » Fri May 18, 2012 7:36 pm

bannanagram wrote:Northwood- Don't do it, man. Seriously. Just don't. It's near North Campus and a pain to get to the law school on the buses. The interiors suck. Yes, it's cheap. Yes, the townhouses have space. But just...just don't!

I laughed at the "when people smile they have good teeth" comment.

I disagree with the Northwoods review. I got some of the same information when I was looking, I live here now and couldn't be happier. Super spacious with a full basement of storage. The interior doesn't suck. The kitchen is fine, the walls are off-white and you have freshly buffed hardwoods throughout, the bathroom is adequate and the closet space is definitely workable. I've also peaked into some of the other empty units and they all look the same and I've seen maintenance people in and out cleaning up painting/buffing floors on recently emptied units.

Now, I'm going to guess that maybe the reason some of you give it awful reviews is because when you were looking maybe they weren't as good at turning the units around. But I don't know or maybe I just don't have the same standards as everyone else.

I do think the exteriors are ugly but I don't really care about that and it is odd to see all the toys outside but again that doesn't bother me. As far as it being far away, it is kind of far (compared to some of the other places) but it's definitely doable given that the shuttle comes by here constantly.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on Northwoods but I do find that some of the reviews (including some of the ones I received prior to moving here) were a bit unfair but everyone of course has a different opinion and it could just be that I drew the Northwoods lottery when it comes to units.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Fri May 18, 2012 10:42 pm

keg411 wrote:FYI, Harbor House is in my comprehensive housing e-mail that I sent to everyone who asked for it (along with all of the other complexes within that same South Main/Eisenhower/State area). I lived next to there last year in Main Street Commons and just found it to be far from campus at times (especially when I wanted to go out to Main/South U and either had to drive or pay $$ for a cab).

In terms of just getting to and from the law school, living in that area is perfectly fine and is not difficult. The Busch's/CVS complex across the street is fantastic. It can just feel removed at times, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Also, I know you're not a princess, and I personally recommended against both Arbor Landings (due to distance) and Northwood (due to distance and extreme grossness) in the Michigan 2015. I mentioned I heard Harbor House was fine and another poster (NOT me) said they toured it and did not like the unit they were showed. While I did not live at either Signature Club or Hidden Valley Club, I can tell you that neither are "holes" as my friends lived there. I really think in a lot of the complexes it depends on if you get a renovated unit or a non-renovated unit.

It was me who didn't like the interior of the Harbor House unit I saw. The walls and floors were fine and they emphasized how well they clean places between tenants, but my problems were in the kitchen - the laminate countertops were peeling on all the corners and big chunks were missing from cabinet doors and screws were missing and rusted on the sink, and I pointed them out and they said they wouldn't fix those because it was still usable. Yes, usable, but a really junky kitchen and bathroom if you plan on spending any time in there at all. On the other hand, a current student who lived there said his unit was updated and didn't have any of those problems, so I'd say definitely give it a try, but don't sign anything unless you see the exact unit you're renting.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Just thought of one that's not mentioned here often but is decent-- Ponds at Georgetown. I have some friends who live there and it's reasonably nice and convenient. I always forget about the places off of Packard, but some of them are okay.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Fri May 18, 2012 11:14 pm

46nyc wrote:
keg411 wrote:FYI, Harbor House is in my comprehensive housing e-mail that I sent to everyone who asked for it (along with all of the other complexes within that same South Main/Eisenhower/State area). I lived next to there last year in Main Street Commons and just found it to be far from campus at times (especially when I wanted to go out to Main/South U and either had to drive or pay $$ for a cab).

In terms of just getting to and from the law school, living in that area is perfectly fine and is not difficult. The Busch's/CVS complex across the street is fantastic. It can just feel removed at times, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Also, I know you're not a princess, and I personally recommended against both Arbor Landings (due to distance) and Northwood (due to distance and extreme grossness) in the Michigan 2015. I mentioned I heard Harbor House was fine and another poster (NOT me) said they toured it and did not like the unit they were showed. While I did not live at either Signature Club or Hidden Valley Club, I can tell you that neither are "holes" as my friends lived there. I really think in a lot of the complexes it depends on if you get a renovated unit or a non-renovated unit.

It was me who didn't like the interior of the Harbor House unit I saw. The walls and floors were fine and they emphasized how well they clean places between tenants, but my problems were in the kitchen - the laminate countertops were peeling on all the corners and big chunks were missing from cabinet doors and screws were missing and rusted on the sink, and I pointed them out and they said they wouldn't fix those because it was still usable. Yes, usable, but a really junky kitchen and bathroom if you plan on spending any time in there at all. On the other hand, a current student who lived there said his unit was updated and didn't have any of those problems, so I'd say definitely give it a try, but don't sign anything unless you see the exact unit you're renting.

I agree that like Woodbury, the interiors vary by unit. However, they accommodated my request to redo the floors and my neighbors request for a new dishwasher. I did the same at Woodbury.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat May 19, 2012 9:47 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Lol. Sorry guys. I actually enjoyed it when I did it, but I guess I'm a little twisted like that.

I bet you also enjoy putting you hand in a blender going at full speed.

That bad, huh? What was the worst part?

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Sat May 19, 2012 1:36 pm

bannanagram wrote:Just thought of one that's not mentioned here often but is decent-- Ponds at Georgetown. I have some friends who live there and it's reasonably nice and convenient. I always forget about the places off of Packard, but some of them are okay.

I looked into these this week, but they were full. :(

I think I'll be at Woodbury, unless a nice Northwood comes through (and then I'll try to get JoeMo to walk through the unit first... <nudge nudge>).

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Bronte wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Lol. Sorry guys. I actually enjoyed it when I did it, but I guess I'm a little twisted like that.

ha. The funny thing is that there is no worst part. It is just the fact that classes end on April 18 and then you have the three week sprint through exams. As you finish the last exam, you realize that was just a checkmark along the way and you have another 11 days to go. Also, I hate busy work. I firmly believe that a piece of the purpose of doing it this way is simply to flush out those who don't have the necessary commitment. The JLR application that I also did would be sufficient to judge everything Law Review needs. They should really all agree on a common app too. After doing my 400 word Law Review note proposal I had to add 100 words for JLR. That is dumb and a waste of my time.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat May 19, 2012 11:11 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:ha. The funny thing is that there is no worst part. It is just the fact that classes end on April 18 and then you have the three week sprint through exams. As you finish the last exam, you realize that was just a checkmark along the way and you have another 11 days to go. Also, I hate busy work. I firmly believe that a piece of the purpose of doing it this way is simply to flush out those who don't have the necessary commitment. The JLR application that I also did would be sufficient to judge everything Law Review needs. They should really all agree on a common app too. After doing my 400 word Law Review note proposal I had to add 100 words for JLR. That is dumb and a waste of my time.

Yeah it's brutal the way it's right after finals. Anyway, good luck.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:37 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

ha. The funny thing is that there is no worst part. It is just the fact that classes end on April 18 and then you have the three week sprint through exams. As you finish the last exam, you realize that was just a checkmark along the way and you have another 11 days to go. Also, I hate busy work. I firmly believe that a piece of the purpose of doing it this way is simply to flush out those who don't have the necessary commitment. The JLR application that I also did would be sufficient to judge everything Law Review needs. They should really all agree on a common app too. After doing my 400 word Law Review note proposal I had to add 100 words for JLR. That is dumb and a waste of my time.

I mean, welcome to being on a journal, right?

Pathika

Postby Pathika » Mon May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

I just finished reading this thread and to the person asking about Northwoods: I toured Northwoods 5 and while the exterior was disgusting, the interiors were gorgeous and definitely livable. Also, I think the only bills they said I would have would be internet/tv which would be a flat rate. I don't think they are as bad as people have made them out to be.

thisdaisy

Postby thisdaisy » Tue May 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi all. Excited to be heading to AA in August! Keg, I was hoping you could PM me that housing email you mentioned. I really need to get on with finding a place to live!! ;)

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Can any 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls offer an opinion on the need for a car in AA? I'll be living at brookwood & packard, so a short bike ride or 15min walk to the law quad. Do any of you not have one and wish you did? Do any of you have one and wish you just didn't bring it or sold it before moving?

Thanks
S

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 22, 2012 6:21 pm

smoneill88 wrote:Can any 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls offer an opinion on the need for a car in AA? I'll be living at brookwood & packard, so a short bike ride or 15min walk to the law quad. Do any of you not have one and wish you did? Do any of you have one and wish you just didn't bring it or sold it before moving?

Thanks
S

I brought my car to Michigan after I moved of the Lawyer's Club, and I enjoyed having it. It's not necessary though. It is not fun driving in Ann Arbor.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Bronte wrote:
smoneill88 wrote:Can any 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls offer an opinion on the need for a car in AA? I'll be living at brookwood & packard, so a short bike ride or 15min walk to the law quad. Do any of you not have one and wish you did? Do any of you have one and wish you just didn't bring it or sold it before moving?

Thanks
S

I brought my car to Michigan after I moved of the Lawyer's Club, and I enjoyed having it. It's not necessary though. It is not fun driving in Ann Arbor.

I'd agree with this sentiment. It also depends on where you're living at, if your roommates are planning to bring cars, etc.

I will say that I recommend that 2L's bring a car (or have access to a car) fall semester if you plan to do OCI. The airport trips back and forth can be a little crazy and you REALLY don't want to just rely on lawopen or your roommates.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks
S

As a person who just spent the day driving around Ann Arbor, I may be biased. Still, don't bring a car as a 1L.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 am

Hi, rising 2L here - looking for some guidance on classes - anyone know anything about Family Law with Kuykendall? Is it a large class? Is it considered a solid class or a BS class? And how is the grading?

And what about Employment Discrimination with Katz? How is the grading? And is it heavily socratic?

Finally, is Corporate Criminality with Hurley a lot of work?

And in general, where can I look for guidance on course selection??
thnx.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:54 am

keg411 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Thanks
S

I'd agree with this sentiment. It also depends on where you're living at, if your roommates are planning to bring cars, etc.

I will say that I recommend that 2L's bring a car (or have access to a car) fall semester if you plan to do OCI. The airport trips back and forth can be a little crazy and you REALLY don't want to just rely on lawopen or your roommates.

Very late to this party. I had a car last year. I'm not bringing a car back next year. It was convenient for getting to the grocery store and the airport, but Ann Arbor is uber efficient about ticketing. Also, the airport is less of a concern now than it was last year because of AirRide (http://www.myairride.com/).

I'll spend more on taxis and AirRide, but less on tickets and parking (either in town or at the airport).

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:57 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Thanks
S

Very late to this party. I had a car last year. I'm not bringing a car back next year. It was convenient for getting to the grocery store and the airport, but Ann Arbor is uber efficient about ticketing. Also, the airport is less of a concern now than it was last year because of AirRide (http://www.myairride.com/).

I'll spend more on taxis and AirRide, but less on tickets and parking (either in town or at the airport).

I had a car over the summer and didn't last fall and winter semesters -- it is definitely worth bringing your car if you can and don't have a reason not to. Straw is right that you only really need it for the grocery store and the airport but those two are really inconvenient without a car. The AirRide might work well but not so much if you have someone coming to you vs. going to them and I basically gave up on cooking and survived on Wendy's, Subway, Beer, and 2 am South U pizza the winter semester. My sexy suit doesn't fit anymore :(

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:36 am

Like I said, I think it's a toss-up based on a bunch of different factors. I personally loved having my car and will have it again (and would still really recommend it to 2L's for Fall -- new AirRide or no AirRide), but I don't think it's absolutely necessary depending on where you live in Ann Arbor. I didn't get a ticket once, but I usually took the buses if I had to get into downtown during the day (or I went on Sunday when parking is FREE :)).

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:16 am

What is the latest you've ever gotten grades back?

We just blew through the deadline and one of my profs grades still aren't up.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:What is the latest you've ever gotten grades back?

We just blew through the deadline and one of my profs grades still aren't up.

They should come out next week. I'm still waiting on a grade as well.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Do any current Michigan Law students know if the classes of 2012 or 2013 fared better than the class of 2011 with respect to biglaw+federal clerkship employment? Thank you in advance.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:15 pm

hume85 wrote:Do any current Michigan Law students know if the classes of 2012 or 2013 fared better than the class of 2011 with respect to biglaw+federal clerkship employment? Thank you in advance.

At least in terms of getting SA's, 2013 did significantly better than 2011. Pretty sure 2012 did better as well, but I don't know exactly.

wurst

Postby wurst » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 pm

I want to thank all of you for being so helpful in sharing your experiences to aide a bunch of strangers. I have a couple of questions that are related to one another. What separates top 10% students from median students? What skills and abilities seem to differentiate people's work on exams? Cheers!

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 pm

wurst wrote:I want to thank all of you for being so helpful in sharing your experiences to aide a bunch of strangers. I have a couple of questions that are related to one another. What separates top 10% students from median students? What skills and abilities seem to differentiate people's work on exams? Cheers!

Frankly, someone who knows 60% of the material and is a good test-taker will most likely get a better grade than someone who knows 100% of the material and is a mediocre test taker. Also, in some classes sub-par students will get top grades because they can type insanely fast.

What it takes to get an A differs from person to person. For me, I skim a day's readings for a class in 5-10 min. then read and outline from supplements and do many many multiple choice and short answer questions. I look like a total, insolent, incompetent, slacker moron whenever I get called on because I don't know the facts of the case, but come test-time I am more prepared than most. I skip class if going will mean I'm not well rested and in some classes I stop reading anything but supplements after 2 weeks. I don't use past outlines because I've yet to come across a good one--the value in an outline is making it yourself. If I could go back in a time machine I would do this:

Don't read Getting to Maybe or LEEWS, but use How to do Your Best on Law School Exams instead. Then buy a CD lecture for one class you'll have first semester--use Civ. Pro (Freer), Torts (Finz), Crim (Dressler), or Con Law (Che)--and the corresponding E&E. Do the lectures and the E&E topic by topic and make an outline using the "How to do Your Best on Law School Exams" method. After you finish the CD, E&E, & outline, take 2 or 3 timed practice tests w/ model answers and compare what you have.

The value wouldn't be substantive knowledge, but a taste of what the semester and the first-year experience will be like. What separates the top-10% is time management. I believe that doing this exercise will help you realize that 99% of what the teacher says in class and 99% of what you read out of your casebook is irrelevant, which is the secret to success that we all slowly learn over our first year. Realizing this helps you tune out the BS and focus on what really matters.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”