Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shakespeareinlove

New

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by shakespeareinlove » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:50 am

keg411 wrote:
shakespeareinlove wrote:Thanks Bronte.

So I am down to Michigan and Duke. I am having a hard time coming to a decision. Any thoughts?
Have you visited both schools? Do you have scholarships at either? Where are you from/where do you want to work?
I visited both. I really liked Duke. The professors seemed genuinely interested in the careers of the students.. They were very warm and approachable. I liked the first year housing options much better at Duke. There were programs I was very interested in and there seemed to be a close sense of community from the students.
I liked the area around Michigan better. The campus was beautiful. I felt the professors were not as warm to the prospective student. The academics seem very similar. LRAP is better at Michigan but who knows what 3 years will bring. A new dean can change alot of things.

I received scholarships at both. Slightly more at Duke but not enough to sway my decision. I definitely want to stay on the east coast. Interested in NY, DC., public service/government and clerkships.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:41 pm

To the poster above: sounds like you prefer Duke, so go there. When its close you should just pick the school you like more.

NextStopRuggles

New

Post by NextStopRuggles » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm a native Rhode Islander and I got my BA from a school in Boston. How well do you think I'd need to do at Michigan to get a job in New England after graduation?

(If this has been discussed elsewhere, either in this thread or another one, feel free to redirect me.)

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:41 pm

NextStopRuggles wrote:I'm a native Rhode Islander and I got my BA from a school in Boston. How well do you think I'd need to do at Michigan to get a job in New England after graduation?

(If this has been discussed elsewhere, either in this thread or another one, feel free to redirect me.)
Very difficult without the context of what other schools you're looking at. If you're talking between Michigan and Berkeley, Michigan. If MIchigan vs. NYU, then probably NYU. I'm also a native Rhode Islander but I'm not necessarily set on coming back to NE. Although conventional wisdom will tell you that you already have ties to NE so it should be fairly easy.

EDIT, just saw your profile. Don't know how detailed Cornell and Georgetown are in their employment statistics and whether they break out by region but I suggest you start by comparing the three. I do know that Cornell and Georgetown both have more lay prestige in this area than Michigan does but that doesn't necessarily indicate how well you'd do to place back in this market.

commerceclause

New

Post by commerceclause » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Just a few questions:

I live in NYC, but hate when it's cold. Cold weather is definitely not a dealbreaker, but how much do Michigan students find to be annoying? I feel like it's a dumb question, but just want to open it up to any comments people have, especially if you were overly worried about it at first and aren't anymore, or vice versa.

Also, how close are you to the professors? Are they generally accessible, warm, and helpful with jobs/mentoring?

Finally, how would you describe the political climate on campus? I don't care so much whether it is very liberal or not, I care more about whether political life is still active, whether there is good debate on campus, and whether students who have the "political bug" will find Michigan interesting. I am considering Georgetown and it seems like GULC is one place where (obviously?) political life is vibrant.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NextStopRuggles

New

Post by NextStopRuggles » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Don't know how detailed Cornell and Georgetown are in their employment statistics and whether they break out by region but I suggest you start by comparing the three.
According to the the LST C/O 2009 Spreadsheet, Cornell placed 8.00% of its grads in NE, Georgetown was at 3.30%, and Michigan came in with 2.80%. I've also exchanged emails with a few people working in Boston, and the votes seem to be split pretty evenly so far. One basically said "If you want to work in Boston, go to Cornell, or maybe Georgetown," and another said "Michigan or GULC. I don't know anyone from Cornell working in the city."

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm doing a budget for the first year to see how many weeks I have to work this summer and was wondering if any of the 1/2/3Ls can see if I'm missing anything from my list: Rent, utilities, laundry, gas, books, groceries, loan origination fees, furniture in my case, some spending money...

Cell phone and both car and health insurance are covered under my parents. Did any of you take out renters insurance?

It seems like the "personal expenses" category in the student budget is pretty high - it allocates almost $400/month for personal spending money. Do you guys think you spend that much?

Was there anything unexpected you had to spend money on once you got to school?

And the student budget allows $1050 for books and supplies - do you think that's accurate?

Thank you!!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:30 pm

NextStopRuggles wrote:
Don't know how detailed Cornell and Georgetown are in their employment statistics and whether they break out by region but I suggest you start by comparing the three.
According to the the LST C/O 2009 Spreadsheet, Cornell placed 8.00% of its grads in NE, Georgetown was at 3.30%, and Michigan came in with 2.80%. I've also exchanged emails with a few people working in Boston, and the votes seem to be split pretty evenly so far. One basically said "If you want to work in Boston, go to Cornell, or maybe Georgetown," and another said "Michigan or GULC. I don't know anyone from Cornell working in the city."
Those numbers are pretty dismal but then again you have to think about how many people might prefer to come back to New England versus going to NY/DC from those schools. I'd just go wherever you'd be the happiest as long as you're ok with the possibility of not ending up in New England. If you're dead set on Boston then possibly go to BC since it's a really strong regional school, especially if the money is right.

NextStopRuggles

New

Post by NextStopRuggles » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 pm

If you're dead set on Boston then possibly go to BC since it's a really strong regional school, especially if the money is right.
The money is good ($66,000), but it's not enough to offset the long-term value of a Michigan degree, IMO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:24 am

Anybody taken Finance for Lawyers with Rowan Miranda?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:38 pm

For any previous Summer Starts, or anyone unfortunate enough to have this situation... They posted the Summer Start schedule... We have Contracts, 90 minutes a day, every day (M-F). I can't even remember a time in undergrad when I had any class 5 days a week, and surely not a 90 minute class. Any ideas on strategies of how best to handle having the class every day?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:For any previous Summer Starts, or anyone unfortunate enough to have this situation... They posted the Summer Start schedule... We have Contracts, 90 minutes a day, every day (M-F). I can't even remember a time in undergrad when I had any class 5 days a week, and surely not a 90 minute class. Any ideas on strategies of how best to handle having the class every day?
Yo Scrabble, RC fail mah dude. It only meets on Fridays on Holiday make-up days (i.e. 4th of July) it's just M-Thurs otherwise.

DELETED

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:45 pm

JoeMo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:For any previous Summer Starts, or anyone unfortunate enough to have this situation... They posted the Summer Start schedule... We have Contracts, 90 minutes a day, every day (M-F). I can't even remember a time in undergrad when I had any class 5 days a week, and surely not a 90 minute class. Any ideas on strategies of how best to handle having the class every day?
Yo Scrabble, RC fail mah dude. It only meets on Fridays on Holiday make-up days (i.e. 4th of July) it's just M-Thurs otherwise.

DELETED

LOL... where'd you dig up my old high school photo?

Where do you see the tid bit about only meeting on Fridays for make ups? I just assumed that since it shows it meeting MTWThF, and Torts only shows MTWTh, it meant that Contracts was every day, and only Torts M-Th.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:46 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote: LOL... where'd you dig up my old high school photo?

Where do you see the tid bit about only meeting on Fridays for make ups? I just assumed that since it shows it meeting MTWThF, and Torts only shows MTWTh, it meant that Contracts was every day, and only Torts M-Th.
It's in the footnotes. http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... tnotes.htm

At the very bottom is our daily schedule broken out by day.

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:02 am

I took some photos of the law school and the campus in general. (And then I deleted the link. Sorry.)
Last edited by Lady in Red on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 am

I assume you intended to out yourself.

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:28 am

Does anyone know which cell phone provider is good to get?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:26 am

UnamSanctam wrote:I assume you intended to out yourself.
Oh -- uh, yeah. lol

I think anyone who wanted to know who I was could probably figure it out anyway.

me!0712

New

Post by me!0712 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 pm

I have a question for the law students. Aren't you guys worried about the debt? I would love to go to Mich but would walk out with around 150k in debt. That is the main thing holding me back

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:08 pm

me!0712 wrote:I have a question for the law students. Aren't you guys worried about the debt? I would love to go to Mich but would walk out with around 150k in debt. That is the main thing holding me back
Umm...

me!0712

New

Post by me!0712 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
me!0712 wrote:I have a question for the law students. Aren't you guys worried about the debt? I would love to go to Mich but would walk out with around 150k in debt. That is the main thing holding me back
Umm...
Not sure what you mean by this or how its helpful...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:11 pm

me!0712 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Umm...
He's saying we're all worried about the debt.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:34 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
me!0712 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Umm...
Yeah... It's not exactly a situation that is unique to you. If you are too worried, don't go and find something else to do for three years.

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
me!0712 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote: Umm...
and also that it's not unique to Michigan.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”