Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
crabcakes
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby crabcakes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 am

Do we need to get a Michigan license to get car insurance?

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:35 am

If you are insuring in Michigan, yes. Farm Bureau gave us a 30 day grace period when we moved to get ours, and to get our registration/plates switched.

User avatar
crabcakes
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby crabcakes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:46 am

sanguar wrote:If you are insuring in Michigan, yes. Farm Bureau gave us a 30 day grace period when we moved to get ours, and to get our registration/plates switched.


Nooooooooo. I was hoping this wouldn't be so...how hard is it to convert an OOS (CA) license?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 am

crabcakes wrote:
sanguar wrote:If you are insuring in Michigan, yes. Farm Bureau gave us a 30 day grace period when we moved to get ours, and to get our registration/plates switched.


Nooooooooo. I was hoping this wouldn't be so...how hard is it to convert an OOS (CA) license?


Just insure in CA and don't convert.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby The Duck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:02 am

keg411 wrote:
crabcakes wrote:
sanguar wrote:If you are insuring in Michigan, yes. Farm Bureau gave us a 30 day grace period when we moved to get ours, and to get our registration/plates switched.


Nooooooooo. I was hoping this wouldn't be so...how hard is it to convert an OOS (CA) license?


Just insure in CA and don't convert.


FYI, you can have MI insurance without a MI plate. MI doesn't require you to change. However, by garaging your car at a different address than your insurance company knows about, you may void your policy.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby The Duck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 am

crabcakes wrote:Do we need to get a Michigan license to get car insurance?


I have a license, plate, and insurance all from different states. Only my insurance is Michigan. If your company requires this, change companies. I called and asked the state here...you only have to change your license and re-register if becoming a resident. Most students don't intend to remain here indefinitely and so aren't changing their domicile.

bannanagram
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby bannanagram » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 am

The Duck wrote:
keg411 wrote:
crabcakes wrote:
sanguar wrote:If you are insuring in Michigan, yes. Farm Bureau gave us a 30 day grace period when we moved to get ours, and to get our registration/plates switched.


Nooooooooo. I was hoping this wouldn't be so...how hard is it to convert an OOS (CA) license?


Just insure in CA and don't convert.


FYI, you can have MI insurance without a MI plate. MI doesn't require you to change. However, by garaging your car at a different address than your insurance company knows about, you may void your policy.


Call your insurance company. There are provisions for students. If you have a spouse they have to switch to Michigan for sure though unless they are a student too.

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Ok, maybe it was because we bought a house? WTF otherwise, then.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:20 pm

My dad is an attorney for an insurance company, so I doubt me or my sister were ever breaking our policy by not re-registering our cars every time we went somewhere to school. I mean, you should probably check your individual policy to be sure, but I've personally never heard of having to change care insurance because you're going to school out of state.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 pm

If you become a Michigan resident you have to register your car in MI which will likely mean you have to change your insurance. If you claim residency in another state it isn't a problem.

Actually, you can save some money if you don't have a recent ticket or accident by getting MI insurance because they can look back farther through your driving record than in some other states.

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

keg411 wrote:My dad is an attorney for an insurance company, so I doubt me or my sister were ever breaking our policy by not re-registering our cars every time we went somewhere to school. I mean, you should probably check your individual policy to be sure, but I've personally never heard of having to change care insurance because you're going to school out of state.

Because he called them and told them you were students. I'm dumb, because I'm not a student, moved to MIchigan, so clearly I WOULD have to reregister cause the student shit doesn't apply to me. And, because I am the policy holder, my student (ie husband) couldn't still be registered in Ohio. Derp.

TL DR: ignore me, cause I'm not like you.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby The Duck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 pm

keg411 wrote:My dad is an attorney for an insurance company, so I doubt me or my sister were ever breaking our policy by not re-registering our cars every time we went somewhere to school. I mean, you should probably check your individual policy to be sure, but I've personally never heard of having to change care insurance because you're going to school out of state.


I can only go on my experiences dealing with insurance companies in a previous life. Your policy quote is based upon your state location. Typically, anytime the vehicle will be in a different state for longer than a set period of time they want to know.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 pm

sanguar wrote:
keg411 wrote:My dad is an attorney for an insurance company, so I doubt me or my sister were ever breaking our policy by not re-registering our cars every time we went somewhere to school. I mean, you should probably check your individual policy to be sure, but I've personally never heard of having to change care insurance because you're going to school out of state.

Because he called them and told them you were students. I'm dumb, because I'm not a student, moved to MIchigan, so clearly I WOULD have to reregister cause the student shit doesn't apply to me. And, because I am the policy holder, my student (ie husband) couldn't still be registered in Ohio. Derp.

TL DR: ignore me, cause I'm not like you.


It's okay :lol:. Also, it probably helps me that I'm not the primary policyholder and maybe that's the difference. If you have your own car insurance it may be different than if you're on your parents policy and just named as a driver (or however it works). Like I said, for most people they just need to check out their policy to see what circumstance apply to them :).

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby jrthor10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Everyone--

I am currently on the wait list and trying to decide if I want to take advantage of the deferral admissions program for fall of 2013. To help me make this decision, I am visiting campus on April 21st and was hoping someone (current student) on here might be willing to show me around the law school for a bit, or at least answer some questions for me. I have never been to Ann Arbor before, so any help would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

shakespeareinlove
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby shakespeareinlove » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:07 pm

I am deciding between Michigan and another school and I had a couple questions.

First: I was wondering how competitive getting on a journal is. Is it generally the rule that if you want to be on a journal you can get on one, it just might not be your first choice? Or is the competition for a spot at all just really intense?

Second, how is the community, including both the interactions between students and between students and professors?

Third: Can anybody talk about studying criminal law at Michigan? How strong is the cirriculum? How are the professors? How do people at Michigan who want to go into criminal law feel the job placement opportunities are?

Lastly: Is there anything else about Michigan that I should definitely consider when making my decision?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm

shakespeareinlove wrote:First: I was wondering how competitive getting on a journal is. Is it generally the rule that if you want to be on a journal you can get on one, it just might not be your first choice? Or is the competition for a spot at all just really intense?


Getting on the Law Review is fairly competitive, probably similar to peer schools. About 12.5% of the class gets on to Law Review. Otherwise, I think most people who want it can get on to one of the specialty journals.

shakespeareinlove wrote:Second, how is the community, including both the interactions between students and between students and professors?


Most people seem to think Michigan has one of the more collegial communities of the top schools. I've made good friends here.

shakespeareinlove wrote:Third: Can anybody talk about studying criminal law at Michigan? How strong is the cirriculum? How are the professors? How do people at Michigan who want to go into criminal law feel the job placement opportunities are?


I think the criminal law program is top notch. There are a ton of offerings. I am about as far as one could be from studying criminal law, but my roommate is trying to be a public defender and he is doing well. He got a good 2L internship, despite getting bad grades 1L year. There are a ton of clinics and upper level crim law offerings. There are also some great criminal law professors. Sonya Starr and Eve Primus come to mind.

shakespeareinlove
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby shakespeareinlove » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks Bronte.

So I am down to Michigan and Duke. I am having a hard time coming to a decision. Any thoughts?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:02 am

shakespeareinlove wrote:Thanks Bronte.

So I am down to Michigan and Duke. I am having a hard time coming to a decision. Any thoughts?


Football or basketball? :lol:

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:19 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
shakespeareinlove wrote:Thanks Bronte.

So I am down to Michigan and Duke. I am having a hard time coming to a decision. Any thoughts?


Football or basketball? :lol:

You cannot count duke as basketball this year :lol:

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:07 am

shakespeareinlove wrote:Thanks Bronte.

So I am down to Michigan and Duke. I am having a hard time coming to a decision. Any thoughts?


Have you visited both schools? Do you have scholarships at either? Where are you from/where do you want to work?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7169
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:12 am

sanguar wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
shakespeareinlove wrote:Thanks Bronte.

So I am down to Michigan and Duke. I am having a hard time coming to a decision. Any thoughts?


Football or basketball? :lol:

You cannot count duke as basketball this year :lol:


Fair, but at least they got that 2 seed.

daydreamer
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby daydreamer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:22 am

How difficult is it to get Chicago BigLaw from Michigan? I understand interviewing skills and all that are important, but how do grades factor in? How about Detroit? Is it generally the case that anyone from Michigan who wants Detroit "biglaw" can get it?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:12 pm

daydreamer wrote:How difficult is it to get Chicago BigLaw from Michigan? I understand interviewing skills and all that are important, but how do grades factor in? How about Detroit? Is it generally the case that anyone from Michigan who wants Detroit "biglaw" can get it?


I can't really answer the grades/Chicago thing because the people I know going to Chicago are all other transfers. But of that group, most (though not all) of the people that bid on Chicago had it as an option. As for Detroit "BigLaw", I know one person going there and that person is from Michigan/the Detroit area. Not sure how "outsiders" did in Detroit, but from what I heard, they were pretty picky about "ties" and there are a lot of people who go to Michigan that are from here or went to undergrad here.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:28 pm

daydreamer wrote:How difficult is it to get Chicago BigLaw from Michigan? I understand interviewing skills and all that are important, but how do grades factor in? How about Detroit? Is it generally the case that anyone from Michigan who wants Detroit "biglaw" can get it?


A very large portion of the class goes to big law firms in Chicago. Overall, the Chicago market is smaller and more difficult to break than New York, and Chicago firms value ties to the Midwest more than you might have been led to believe. I'm going to a Chicago firm without ties, but I had a much better callback to screening interview ratio with New York firms.

I know a number of people going to Detroit firms. The Detroit market is very small and they almost exclusively take people who are from Michigan or who have an incredibly convincing reason for wanting to stay in Michigan. If you have those ties, I'm not sure how competitive it is, but I would suspect that you need at least decent grades.

daydreamer
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby daydreamer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Thank you for the helpful responses Bronte and Keg!

Right now, I'm trying to decide between Michigan and Columbia. A month ago, I was set on Michigan but with the recent employment news/data is making me rethink my decision. :(




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests