Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 83947368 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:47 pm

What have you guys heard of Zaragon Place? I'm looking at it and its new sister property. Can't believe some apartment complexes actually charge for parking. Just trying to see what the consensus is.

Thanks,

E

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:49 pm

JustE wrote:What have you guys heard of Zaragon Place? I'm looking at it and its new sister property. Can't believe some apartment complexes actually charge for parking. Just trying to see what the consensus is.

Thanks,

E

It is nice but expensive from what I hear. I've been in a 2 bedroom in Zargon and if money wasn't an issue I could certainly see myself living there. That said, I think there are much, much better deals out there.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:09 pm

JustE wrote:What have you guys heard of Zaragon Place? I'm looking at it and its new sister property. Can't believe some apartment complexes actually charge for parking. Just trying to see what the consensus is.

Thanks,

E

The "charge for parking" is probably the primary reason I excluded both Zaragons and the new Landmark place from my personal housing search this year. Yes, they're supposed to be nice and all and the amenities are pretty insane, but I couldn't justify the parking cost AND the apartment cost. I've heard they're also pretty "undergrad-y" which was kind of a turn-off to me (personally, I think the Zaragon West location is better in this instance because it's closer to Main and further from South U, so if I was going to pick one, I'd go with that one for that reason).

That said, if you can afford it, and think the amenities are worth it... then I don't think it's a bad choice at all.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm

All,

It has come to my attention that somehow Admissions believes I misrepresented their policy on transferring people between Summer/Fall start and it was taken as university policy (or the person so asserted to them on the phone). They didn't explain when this happened (I contacted them about ASW), but after an extensive search of my post history and PMs, I can't find any advice I gave other than to contact Admissions with your story. So, I'm not sure where this came from. I don't know if someone else's post was misattributed to me, someone contacted Admissions with animus, or someone purposely mischaracterized my post in order to benefit themselves in their attempt to switch.

Fortunately, Admissions was gracious in their e-mail. After reiterating they weren't trying to admonish or silence me, they even offered to brief me on all of their policies in person now or answer any questions I had as they came up. However, I'm not taking them up on it. I'm not wasting my time doing your due diligence because you're too lazy/scared to call. If you're relying on TLS as a source of official policy, you're an idiot. If you purposely threw me under the bus in order to benefit yourself, you're a snake and don't belong here. Whoever you are, here is your first law school lesson: Rely only on authoritative sources.

I wouldn't say I've been "outed" per se as Admissions knew who I was from when I clarified policies with them during last year's fiascos. Still, I'm not at all happy that my reputation with them has been besmirched. I'm always careful to answer in general terms, provide only concrete examples I personally know of, and advise communication directly with Admissions. When I have commented on other policies, I cleared them first with them. I've never purported to speak for the University, except when authorized (and disclosed).

So, I'm out. I'll no longer be answering any questions (here or by PM) that involve dealing with the university. I'm happy to talk about my experiences (and I'll be at the dinners both ASWs for this purpose) but I'll no longer be actively monitoring any of the Michigan threads. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your visits.

TL,DR: Life's too short. Good luck.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm

blowhard wrote:All,

It has come to my attention that somehow Admissions believes I misrepresented their policy on transferring people between Summer/Fall start and it was taken as university policy (or the person so asserted to them on the phone). They didn't explain when this happened (I contacted them about ASW), but after an extensive search of my post history and PMs, I can't find any advice I gave other than to contact Admissions with your story. So, I'm not sure where this came from. I don't know if someone else's post was misattributed to me, someone contacted Admissions with animus, or someone purposely mischaracterized my post in order to benefit themselves in their attempt to switch.

Fortunately, Admissions was gracious in their e-mail. After reiterating they weren't trying to admonish or silence me, they even offered to brief me on all of their policies in person now or answer any questions I had as they came up. However, I'm not taking them up on it. I'm not wasting my time doing your due diligence because you're too lazy/scared to call. If you're relying on TLS as a source of official policy, you're an idiot. If you purposely threw me under the bus in order to benefit yourself, you're a snake and don't belong here. Whoever you are, here is your first law school lesson: Rely only on authoritative sources.

I wouldn't say I've been "outed" per se as Admissions knew who I was from when I clarified policies with them during last year's fiascos. Still, I'm not at all happy that my reputation with them has been besmirched. I'm always careful to answer in general terms, provide only concrete examples I personally know of, and advise communication directly with Admissions. When I have commented on other policies, I cleared them first with them. I've never purported to speak for the University, except when authorized (and disclosed).

So, I'm out. I'll no longer be answering any questions (here or by PM) that involve dealing with the university. I'm happy to talk about my experiences (and I'll be at the dinners both ASWs for this purpose) but I'll no longer be actively monitoring any of the Michigan threads. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your visits.

TL,DR: Life's too short. Good luck.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 pm

hey does anyone know what the deal is with law review write on for 1Ls? As in when it is and what the general journal write on policy is? I'm having a ton of trouble finding it online. thanks!

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 pm

agora139 wrote:hey does anyone know what the deal is with law review write on for 1Ls? As in when it is and what the general journal write on policy is? I'm having a ton of trouble finding it online. thanks!

They will have lunch events with the info. Basically there is a mandatory sign-up in April and then you purchase the packet on the last day of finals. You will then have a little over a week to complete the write-on assignment.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 am

existenz wrote:
agora139 wrote:hey does anyone know what the deal is with law review write on for 1Ls? As in when it is and what the general journal write on policy is? I'm having a ton of trouble finding it online. thanks!

They will have lunch events with the info. Basically there is a mandatory sign-up in April and then you purchase the packet on the last day of finals. You will then have a little over a week to complete the write-on assignment.

thanks! there's no more solidified information? Just trying to figure out moving details and start dates for summer employment :)

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am

agora139 wrote:
existenz wrote:

thanks! there's no more solidified information? Just trying to figure out moving details and start dates for summer employment :)

I think someone said it ends May 14? But I don't remember where I heard that, so I may have just made it up.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:16 am

Last year, the writing competition ended 10 days after the last day of the finals period. Since the applicant delivered her submissions remotely via the internet, most people went home to work on the competition. The packet was delivered in hard copy on the last day of finals, so most people stayed in Ann Arbor long enough to pick that up.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 am

Entchen wrote:
agora139 wrote:
existenz wrote:

I think someone said it ends May 14? But I don't remember where I heard that, so I may have just made it up.

It should be the 14th around 5 pm.

planeride

Postby planeride » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Arriving in AA tomorrow for ASW... Best bar for me to watch soccer tomorrow afternoon?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:20 am

planeride wrote:Arriving in AA tomorrow for ASW... Best bar for me to watch soccer tomorrow afternoon?

Maybe Ashley's or the Brown Jug. I'm not sure where soccer is on really.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 am

If anyone is coming to ASW and is a summer starter looking to rent a room for cheap, PM me. The house I live in (10 min walk from the law school) will have four bedrooms available this summer.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:35 am

existenz wrote:If anyone is coming to ASW and is a summer starter looking to rent a room for cheap, PM me. The house I live in (10 min walk from the law school) will have four bedrooms available this summer.

Additionally, I have an apartment that's a short drive from the law school, but it's really really nice (2 BDR + super nice amenities + garage + fully furnished). We're discounting the rent for the summer and you'd get the chance to extend into the school year, so PM me if you're interested.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Bronte wrote:Last year, the writing competition ended 10 days after the last day of the finals period. Since the applicant delivered her submissions remotely via the internet, most people went home to work on the competition. The packet was delivered in hard copy on the last day of finals, so most people stayed in Ann Arbor long enough to pick that up.

thank you! could someone explain in some detail about how the writing competition works exactly? is it just for law review? do you have to decide what journal you want if you don't get law review before the competition?

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:13 am

agora139 wrote:thank you! could someone explain in some detail about how the writing competition works exactly? is it just for law review? do you have to decide what journal you want if you don't get law review before the competition?

All of this information will be going out shortly, so there's no need to worry. I will provide an overview. You should not take any of this as definitive. Each journal has its own requirements and has its own grading criteria. As far as I remember, there are three general components:

(1) Citechecking component: Generally, each journal requires you do a citechecking assignment. Generally speaking, all journals require citechecking the same list of sources (at least, this was how it was last year). Some journals may require you do add more information than simply put the sources in correct bluebook form, but all journals require at least this much.

(2) Writing component: The actual writing competition arises from a closed packet of sources. In this packet, there will be a topic you have to respond to in page-limited memorandum. This must be submitted for Law Review, and can be submitted for all/most the other journals. It however is not required for most the other journals, if not all. That is, you can apply to most/all of the other journals without doing this part. Instead of doing this section, you can opt to submit your Legal Practice brief.

(3) Journal-specific component: On top of this, each journal has its own additional requirements. Most journals require you submit a note proposal and a personal statement. Generally, it will take one full day to do (3), depending on how many journals you apply to. You will use the rest of your time on (1) and (2). The application timeframe overlaps for all of the journals.

Again, this is only for loose planning purposes. Pay careful attention to the dates and applications for each of the journals. There will lots of emails and panels about this in the next month or so.

In terms of decisions, you will receive notice from the journals over the summer. They get back to you on their own pace, but you will not have to make any decisions before you hear from them all (excluding possibly waitlist offers).

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:32 am

GMVarun wrote:
agora139 wrote:thank you! could someone explain in some detail about how the writing competition works exactly? is it just for law review? do you have to decide what journal you want if you don't get law review before the competition?

All of this information will be going out shortly, so there's no need to worry. I will provide an overview. You should not take any of this as definitive. Each journal has its own requirements and has its own grading criteria. As far as I remember, there are three general components:

(1) Citechecking component: Generally, each journal requires you do a citechecking assignment. Generally speaking, all journals require citechecking the same list of sources (at least, this was how it was last year). Some journals may require you do add more information than simply put the sources in correct bluebook form, but all journals require at least this much.

(2) Writing component: The actual writing competition arises from a closed packet of sources. In this packet, there will be a topic you have to respond to in page-limited memorandum. This must be submitted for Law Review, and can be submitted for all/most the other journals. It however is not required for most the other journals, if not all. That is, you can apply to most/all of the other journals without doing this part. Instead of doing this section, you can opt to submit your Legal Practice brief.

(3) Journal-specific component: On top of this, each journal has its own additional requirements. Most journals require you submit a note proposal and a personal statement. Generally, it will take one full day to do (3), depending on how many journals you apply to. You will use the rest of your time on (1) and (2). The application timeframe overlaps for all of the journals.

Again, this is only for loose planning purposes. Pay careful attention to the dates and applications for each of the journals. There will lots of emails and panels about this in the next month or so.

In terms of decisions, you will receive notice from the journals over the summer. They get back to you on their own pace, but you will not have to make any decisions before you hear from them all (excluding possibly waitlist offers).

Law review uses a very different list of sources for citechecking. All of the secondary journals use the same.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:34 am

The Duck wrote: Law review uses a very different list of sources for citechecking. All of the secondary journals use the same.

Ah yeah, definitely right.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:37 pm

GMVarun wrote:
The Duck wrote: Law review uses a very different list of sources for citechecking. All of the secondary journals use the same.

Ah yeah, definitely right.

The International Law journal has their own cite-checking exercise.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:41 pm

How useful is a car in Ann Arbor? I would have to drive from CA. If it's not worth the trouble, I'll just sell it and use the money to reduce loans (~5k)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:50 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:How useful is a car in Ann Arbor? I would have to drive from CA. If it's not worth the trouble, I'll just sell it and use the money to reduce loans (~5k)

I'm really glad I have my car, but I also live a bit off campus. It's sort of a judgment call depending on how much you like having a car. There are people that don't have them that are perfectly fine, but I couldn't deal without mine.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Is it summer yet???

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:39 pm

How bad's the law-cest at Mich?

Sorry had to re-phrase...previous post sounded like I wanted encounter-specific details.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”