Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 pm

ketchup wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for apartments/houses to look at over Preview Weekend? I have a dog and would like to bike to campus (walking would be nice... I'd settle for an easy bus ride at this point)? Is this still possible? This housing business always flusters me. Thanks!

Harbor House. I live here and like it. You'd have to bus in. There aren't many places close by that allow dogs. Woodbury Gardens would be about it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:27 pm

ketchup wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for apartments/houses to look at over Preview Weekend? I have a dog and would like to bike to campus (walking would be nice... I'd settle for an easy bus ride at this point)? Is this still possible? This housing business always flusters me. Thanks!

I suggest these two places for people with dogs. I have friends that live at both, though only one actually has a dog (the other just advertises that pets are "welcome" on their sign).
http://www.aptshvc.com/
--LinkRemoved--

Neither are walkable or bike-able to campus, but neither is the above poster's suggestion. Hidden Valley Club is walkable to the Park and Ride, though.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:44 pm

keg411 wrote:

I suggest these two places for people with dogs. I have friends that live at both, though only one actually has a dog (the other just advertises that pets are "welcome" on their sign).
--LinkRemoved--

Neither are walkable or bike-able to campus, but neither is the above poster's suggestion. Hidden Valley Club is walkable to the Park and Ride, though.

Should add Lake Village...forgot them... That is walkable to the park and ride (really so is Harbor House). Lake Village is way nicer than Hidden Valley. I jog through there and it looks super ghetto though inside may be better.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Should add Lake Village...forgot them... That is walkable to the park and ride (really so is Harbor House). Lake Village is way nicer than Hidden Valley. I jog through there and it looks super ghetto though inside may be better.

I know people who live there. HV is both fine and cheaper than the other places. If I didn't need a furnished place I probably would've lived there next year.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:03 pm

keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I know people who live there. HV is both fine and cheaper than the other places. If I didn't need a furnished place I probably would've lived there next year.

I had Lake Village on my list to look at, but fyi, they just raised the rent on 1-bedrooms over 200 dollars. It's wayyy over budget now if you want a 1 bedroom.

ketchup

Postby ketchup » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:53 pm

keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Should add Lake Village...forgot them... That is walkable to the park and ride (really so is Harbor House). Lake Village is way nicer than Hidden Valley. I jog through there and it looks super ghetto though inside may be better.

Thank you both! All great suggestions that I'm planning on visiting later this month. Have you guys heard anything about the McKinley properties (Manchester Flats, Hillcrest Apartments, Medical Center Court Apartment)?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 pm

ketchup wrote:
keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Should add Lake Village...forgot them... That is walkable to the park and ride (really so is Harbor House). Lake Village is way nicer than Hidden Valley. I jog through there and it looks super ghetto though inside may be better.

Thank you both! All great suggestions that I'm planning on visiting later this month. Have you guys heard anything about the McKinley properties (Manchester Flats, Hillcrest Apartments, Medical Center Court Apartment)?

I would beware because most of the McKinley properties are in Ypsilanti and not Ann Arbor (and you don't want to live in Ypsi). The only decent one I know anyone lives at actually in A2 is Meadowbrook Village.

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:22 pm

What's the class makeup like? Are a large portion of students married and/or older?

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

crabcakes wrote:What's the class makeup like? Are a large portion of students married and/or older?

I don't think it's a large portion at any top tier law school, but I've been talking to some of the current OWLS at U Mich, and it sounds like there are quite a few. I know there are several of us in the class of '15, just from TLS and the FB group. I've also been reassured many times that the older students fit in very well with the younger students. It's all one big happy family. :)

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Looks more and more like I'll be headed to UMich (woo). Unfortunately, I cannot attend ASW because it conflicts with a trip to Spain. I'm becoming increasingly petrified about housing. I have the great list a current student PM'd me of rental companies, but I'm generally lost to which ones are good.

Any current students (or prospective that have researched all this) willing to let me bother them with a PM to discuss options? Randomly picking a place out of a hat does not seem smart. At all.

Postby 83947368 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commerceclause

Postby commerceclause » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 am

Same questions I had for Boalt....thanks so much for your help....

----

Hi all - I apologize in advance if these have been asked and answered. Michigan is one of the places where I have been admitted, but I am not sure if I can visit (at least on a weekday). Was hoping to run through a few questions. They might seem minor, but these are some of the things that matter to me especially when it comes to the 'happiness' factor.

1. What's the story on the gym? I could not find too much about it on the website. Is it any good? Also, are there outdoor and/or indoor basketball courts near the law school?

2. It is kind of important to me to live within walking distance of campus. How is the housing in the area? Anything in particular regarded as being "the best"? Should I be concerned that it is non-Lawyer's Club housing?

3. What is the dating/social scene like?

4. How involved are the FedSoc and ACS? I love the debate over interpretive philosophy, but I am hoping that it won't be lopsided on campus.

5. Is it easy to own a car there? Should I own a car even if I live close to campus?

Thanks!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:45 am

I'll answer your questions:

1. There's no actual law school gym, but there are a couple options. First, there is the option of paying for the business school gym (which I don't do). Apparently it's nice, but it's also pricey. Next, there are a few free gyms, which you can basically go to depending on location (CCRB, IMSB, NCRB). IMSB is probably the closest to the law school, but I've only been to CCRB, which is the main gym (and honestly, it's not very nice). If you want a nice gym, you might as well fork over the $$$ for the b-school. I'm pretty sure all of the gyms have indoor courts, but I'm not 100% on that.

2. If you want to be close to campus, I'd recommend the replacement Lawyer's Club housing. A lot of the closest, walking-distance stuff is gone already unless you are willing to pay $$$$ (which you may be willing to do). Also, unless you do pay $$$$, the housing is kind of gross. If you have any more questions about housing, PM me and I'll send you some links based on your situation.

3. Things are social and people go out and law students date. It isn't different here than anywhere else. Lawcest is generally gross though, and tends to cause problems.

4. Both groups have a ton of programs, and they often do stuff together. If there is a skew, I haven't noticed it.

5. It depends. I wouldn't want to be here without my car, because it can be difficult to do stuff like grocery shopping, etc. without it. Also, you have the possible option of not living right on top of campus if you have a car. That said, if you don't want to have your car you can probably get on okay without it (especially if you have a roommate that has a car)

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:20 pm

keg411 wrote:I'll answer your questions:

1. There's no actual law school gym, but there are a couple options. First, there is the option of paying for the business school gym (which I don't do). Apparently it's nice, but it's also pricey. Next, there are a few free gyms, which you can basically go to depending on location (CCRB, IMSB, NCRB). IMSB is probably the closest to the law school, but I've only been to CCRB, which is the main gym (and honestly, it's not very nice). If you want a nice gym, you might as well fork over the $$$ for the b-school. I'm pretty sure all of the gyms have indoor courts, but I'm not 100% on that.

2. If you want to be close to campus, I'd recommend the replacement Lawyer's Club housing. A lot of the closest, walking-distance stuff is gone already unless you are willing to pay $$$$ (which you may be willing to do). Also, unless you do pay $$$$, the housing is kind of gross. If you have any more questions about housing, PM me and I'll send you some links based on your situation.

3. Things are social and people go out and law students date. It isn't different here than anywhere else. Lawcest is generally gross though, and tends to cause problems.

4. Both groups have a ton of programs, and they often do stuff together. If there is a skew, I haven't noticed it.

5. It depends. I wouldn't want to be here without my car, because it can be difficult to do stuff like grocery shopping, etc. without it. Also, you have the possible option of not living right on top of campus if you have a car. That said, if you don't want to have your car you can probably get on okay without it (especially if you have a roommate that has a car)

Lawcest?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Lawcest = dating/sleeping with other law students. Sectioncest = dating/sleeping with other law students in your section. I recommend doing neither of these things.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 pm

I do not have a car and it's perfectly fine. On the rare occasion I need one (1-2 times/month, maybe), I use a zipcar or borrow a housemate's.

The only gym I've used is the IM Building, but it's fine. I'm not really a serious gym-goer though, so I don't know what you might be looking for.

Consider applying to Phid if you want to live close -- we're .1 miles (~2 minute walk if you're slow) from Hutchins Hall, and it's a fantastic group of students.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Entchen wrote:
Consider applying to Phid if you want to live close -- we're .1 miles (~2 minute walk if you're slow) from Hutchins Hall, and it's a fantastic group of students.

Hmmm, stretching that one a bit, aren't we?

Fun? Yes.

Sexy? Absolutely.

Fantastic? Meh, only relative to other law students.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Hey so maybe this belongs in the employment forum but I thought current 2Ls and 3Ls might be able to give me the insight necessary. Does anyone have any feelings about the ability of Michigan to get you into Chicago Biglaw without strong connections to the Midwest? Pre-ITE and TE?

Chicago firms, for the most part, prefer ties to the Midwest. Michigan has always placed very well in Chicago among its peers, but then a fair amount of people at Michigan are from Chicago or elsewhere in the Midwest. I interviewed at OCI with three Chicago firms and seventeen New York firms, with ties to neither city. I got callbacks at almost every New York firm and only one of the Chicago firms (the one that didn't ask me about my ties to Chicago). I ended up taking an offer at the Chicago firm, but you can infer what you will from that.

To be clear, I don't think this has anything to do with Michigan. Michigan's first market is New York. But I think Michigan places as well and likely substantially better in Chicago than its non-Chicago peers, like Penn, Berkeley, Virginia, and Duke. However, if you're certain you want Chicago, Northwestern and of course University of Chicago would probably be the best options. Going to those schools would probably show some amount of commitment to Chicago, but in the end it comes down to how well you sell it in the interviews.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 pm

I think what Bronte said is generally credited. Most of the people I know who are going to Chicago had some sort of "Midwest" ties; although some were definitely stronger than others.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:13 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Entchen wrote:

Hmmm, stretching that one a bit, aren't we?

Fun? Yes.

Sexy? Absolutely.

Fantastic? Meh, only relative to other law students.

Ok, it's a fantastic group of students, plus AreJay.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:47 pm

keg411 wrote:Lawcest = dating/sleeping with other law students. Sectioncest = dating/sleeping with other law students in your section. I recommend doing neither of these things.

So...who the hell am I supposed to sleep with?

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Lady in Red wrote:
keg411 wrote:Lawcest = dating/sleeping with other law students. Sectioncest = dating/sleeping with other law students in your section. I recommend doing neither of these things.

Hahahaha. I vote med school students.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 pm

crabcakes wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:

She didn't say "longterm date." Sleep with, undergrads is TCR. Pick them up at the gym. Cougar out.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
crabcakes wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:

She didn't say "longterm date." Sleep with, undergrads is TCR. Pick them up at the gym. Cougar out.

"Cougar out." lol!

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 am

Lady in Red wrote:

Never trust a lady in red, harlot!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”