Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Alexandria wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:How many credits total do you take the first year? Second and third? I am trying to figure out GI bill reimbursement which is based on credits taken.

Well... I guess for a fall starter it would be 29 or 31, depending on whether you decide to take an elective.

2L and 3L year it's up to you how you split things up (within certain paramaters... minimum of 10 per semester and max 16). You have to have 82 to graduate.

Thanks!

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:06 am

blhoward2 wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:How many credits total do you take the first year? Second and third? I am trying to figure out GI bill reimbursement which is based on credits taken.

Well... I guess for a fall starter it would be 29 or 31, depending on whether you decide to take an elective.

2L and 3L year it's up to you how you split things up (within certain paramaters... minimum of 10 per semester and max 16). You have to have 82 to graduate.

Thanks!

PS, in case I wasn't clear, some people graduate with more than 82. It's really up to you, as long as you're within the max each semester.

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:01 am

i'll be visiting ann arbor with my brother next weekend to look at an apartment and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good restaurant and a hotel- since it will be my first time in ann arbor! so excited haha!! thanks guys.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Is it true that the 12 credits allowed at other schools (like Ross) must be taken pass-fail? Is there any way around this?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:10 pm

I'm guessing they don't want people taking graduate level basketweaving to boost their law school GPA. I'd like to hear the answer to that too, though.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Bronte wrote:Is it true that the 12 credits allowed at other schools (like Ross) must be taken pass-fail? Is there any way around this?

This is my understanding, and, no, I don't think there's any way around it.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 pm

urban_cdn wrote:i'll be visiting ann arbor with my brother next weekend to look at an apartment and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good restaurant and a hotel- since it will be my first time in ann arbor! so excited haha!! thanks guys.

Never stayed in a hotel in AA so I can't help you there, but there are many good restaurants. (I eat out almost every meal because I cannot cook.) I love spicy ethnic foods, so two of my favorites are Shalimar on Main (Indian food) and Blue Nile (Ethiopian food) on East Washington Street (close to the intersection with S. 5th Street). I also like Sushi.com (Japanese) on North University. Blimpy Burger on South Division Street is also good if you want fast food. I think they probably have the best burgers I've ever had (and I've eaten everything from Sonic to In-n-Out to McDonald's).

Bronte wrote:Is it true that the 12 credits allowed at other schools (like Ross) must be taken pass-fail? Is there any way around this?

I don't think so either, but it's better to clarify with the Dean.
Last edited by fortissimo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 pm

fortissimo wrote:
urban_cdn wrote:i'll be visiting ann arbor with my brother next weekend to look at an apartment and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good restaurant and a hotel- since it will be my first time in ann arbor! so excited haha!! thanks guys.

Never stayed in a hotel in AA so I can't help you there, but there are many good restaurants. (I eat out almost every meal because I cannot cook.) I love spicy ethnic foods, so two of my favorites are Shalimar on Main (Indian food) and Blue Nile (Ethiopian food) on East Washington Street (close to the intersection with S. 5th Street). I also like Sushi.com (Japanese) on North University. Blimpy Burger on South Division Street is also good if you want fast food. I think they probably have the best burgers I've ever had (and I've eaten everything from Sonic to In-n-Out to McDonald's).

I don't think so either, but it's better to clarify with the Dean.

My friend recently showed me the handbook, and it turns out that you can take an unlimited number of classes pass-fail outside of 1L classes if you don't care about graduating with honors.

If you want to graduate with honors (3.4 GPA+), you can take up to 20 units pass-fail. (I'm not exactly sure how non-law courses factor into this). I think the 20 units includes the 4 units of legal practice you have to take pass-fail, so technically you can take 16 units outside of 1L courses pass-fail. (You can also retroactively pass-fail two courses if you don't like your grades in those courses.)

So the pass fail policy just changed. The class of 2011 is the last class under the old policy. The old policy was you could take an unlimited number. The new policy is that you can only take something like 2 classes outside of mandatory pass/fail but you can opt to take the pass fail after grades come out. So twice you can get a crap grade that isn't a C- and opt to make it a pass/fail.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks for the responses. I've heard that employers look askance at pass-fail courses, which is understandable. It's disappointing though because there are a number of specific non-law school courses I would like to take that would by no means be fluff courses. It would be a bummer if they were seen that way by employers.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:46 pm

awesomepossum wrote:So the pass fail policy just changed. The class of 2011 is the last class under the old policy. The old policy was you could take an unlimited number. The new policy is that you can only take something like 2 classes outside of mandatory pass/fail but you can opt to take the pass fail after grades come out. So twice you can get a crap grade that isn't a C- and opt to make it a pass/fail.

Thanks for clarifying. People have been telling me conflicting things.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 am

Bronte wrote:Thanks for the responses. I've heard that employers look askance at pass-fail courses, which is understandable. It's disappointing though because there are a number of specific non-law school courses I would like to take that would by no means be fluff courses. It would be a bummer if they were seen that way by employers.

I don't think this is something you need to worry about, honestly. Especially since these are mandatory pass/fail. I think most people, under the current system at least (not the new one that will apply for current 1Ls), pretty much max out their pass/fail options, at least within the honors requirements.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am

Alexandria wrote:
Bronte wrote:Thanks for the responses. I've heard that employers look askance at pass-fail courses, which is understandable. It's disappointing though because there are a number of specific non-law school courses I would like to take that would by no means be fluff courses. It would be a bummer if they were seen that way by employers.

I don't think this is something you need to worry about, honestly. Especially since these are mandatory pass/fail. I think most people, under the current system at least (not the new one that will apply for current 1Ls), pretty much max out their pass/fail options, at least within the honors requirements.

Okay, thanks. Another question: What do people do for breakfast at the Lawyer's Club?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:52 am

Bronte wrote:
Alexandria wrote:

Okay, thanks. Another question: What do people do for breakfast at the Lawyer's Club?

Cereal/granola bars, etc. in their rooms, I believe. Also, if you really wanted something hot some days (or a bagel, etc.), the snack bar is pretty cheap.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 pm

A major reason to come to Michigan:

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/default.aspx
http://web.law.umich.edu/flashmedia/pub ... ediaid=525

See, Michigan is not only like Hogwarts, it's like Glee, too. :)

Valogram Day is my favorite school day of the year! They interrupt our classes to sing to students and profs. :) The best is when they embarrass the profs with hilarious lyrics and acting.

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Would some mind posting the most common casebooks used at Michigan for the 6 doctrinal 1L courses? Thanks!!

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Alexandria wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Alexandria wrote:

Cereal/granola bars, etc. in their rooms, I believe. Also, if you really wanted something hot some days (or a bagel, etc.), the snack bar is pretty cheap.

Hmm. Is there a communal kitchen? (Thanks for answering my asinine questions.)

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Bronte wrote:
Hmm. Is there a communal kitchen? (Thanks for answering my asinine questions.)

No, I think people just have little fridges in their rooms.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:05 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Would some mind posting the most common casebooks used at Michigan for the 6 doctrinal 1L courses? Thanks!!

This seems like a pretty hard question to answer, with a relatively useless answer if you did get one. Casebooks vary from prof to prof so much, and who is teaching the 1L classes varies year to year. I definitely wouldn't buy anything in advance (especially since new editions come out all the time anyway, even if you did discern the "most common" ones). You would waste hundreds of dollars that way.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 pm

There seem to be a decent number of Michigan students with spouses on here. Ann Arbor seems like a relatively small city, for those with spouses, how hard was it for your significant other to find a job? And, if you don't mind, what are they doing while you're in school? We both think Michigan could be great and are going to ASW together, but Michigan's unemployment rates/Ann Arbor's small size have us worried about job prospects for her. She's looking primarily for teaching jobs (experienced teacher with a degree from a well known university in the midwest), but would be willing to explore other fields.

Nashville (Vandy) seems like a safer bet for her employment (bigger city/more employed), but Michigan is the better school. Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 am

My SO found a job really just through pure effort. She decided she was going to find a job (as a lawyer!) in Michigan pretty much on the fly and she did it. She applied everywhere, went to all the ABA meetings and found a job within a couple months. Right now she's way busier than I am and is getting paid a very respectable salary (even by TLS standards :-P).

Other SOs that I know of have jobs ranging from people working in college admissions at U of M to accountants to folks who decided to get grad degrees on the fly. There are also people who have a job elsewhere that telecommute.

I'm not going to lie and say that spontaneously finding a job is easy. However, it's not clear to me that the job market here is THAT much worse than anywhere else (since the whole country isn't doing that great) for people who are educated and aren't looking to work in auto manufacturing or something of that sort. It's also important to separate out Ann Arbor and this area from Detroit and what's going on over there. Obviously as a whole, Michigan is one of the worst economies nationwide and has a lot of negative headlines coming out but you want to look at how that info applies.

Here's the tricky thing. I personally don't think you can determine how easy it is to find a job within a particular industry unless you actually do a legitimate job search that goes beyond just making a few calls. I think the only way to know is to really make a serious effort at getting a job and seeing what pans out. I think it's going to depend on how tenacious and flexible your SO is willing to be. The one hitch for my SOs job is that she has a 50 minute commute each way every day. Sometimes things aren't perfect but they're good enough.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:37 am

I would also highly recommend the Library Bed and Breakfast if you like B&Bs. The woman who runs it, Joan, is a total townie and a really, really sweet person (she picked me up at the MegaBus bus stop in the middle of the night because my bus didn't show once). The rooms are all genre themed and absolutely PACKED with books. Also, the location could not be more convenient. It is right off campus, probably no more than a 6-7 minute walk to the law quad. It also serves really, really good breakfasts. The best way to find info about it is to google the name, but it doesn't have a website -- you'll have to call if you want to make a reservation.

navalspartan

Postby navalspartan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Stab in the dark, are there any Mlaw Vets that are monitoring this thread? Thanks.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:16 am

navalspartan wrote:Stab in the dark, are there any Mlaw Vets that are monitoring this thread? Thanks.

Not as far as I know, (but I don't know everyone in the thread!), but I wanted to mention that there is a law school student group for veterans. It's new, this year or last.

betsyanna

Postby betsyanna » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:44 pm

It's true that these are mandatory pass-fail, but the grade that you receive DOES appear on your transcript unless you specifically request to have a P appear. The grade doesn't affect your law school GPA, but your employers will be able to see that you've done well. I did this for two different classes, one in the English department and one in the Spanish department.

Mandatory pass-fail classes taken within the law school, on the other hand, are just satisfactory/unsatisfactory.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”