Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NZA

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby NZA » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
wolverine10 wrote:Blimpie Burger is excellent, Grizzly peak and Ashleys have great burgers and beer. Being an east coast guy I love Five Guys which just came to AA last year

The Quickie Burger on the corner by the law school is surprisingly good.

http://fritabatidos.com/

Maybe not technically a burger, but, holy god. So delicious.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:30 pm

MissLucky wrote:Does anyone know where I can find info on the Spring Writing Competition for law review (dates, etc.)? Thanks! And do most people stick around after finals to complete the writing competition or just go home? I live in the LC though so maybe they close right after finals..

It's the week after the finals period ends. People were all over. Some stayed and some left. Just plan on working all week. We'll have a lunch meeting in the spring with the details.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks a lot - so just in terms of travel plans, finals and law review writing comp will all be done by May 10?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:50 pm

MissLucky wrote:Thanks a lot - so just in terms of travel plans, finals and law review writing comp will all be done by May 10?

I don't know what date the exam period ends. It's on the school calendar. The writing completion ends the following Monday at 5 pm.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:55 pm

blowhard wrote:
MissLucky wrote:Thanks a lot - so just in terms of travel plans, finals and law review writing comp will all be done by May 10?

I don't know what date the exam period ends. It's on the school calendar. The writing completion ends the following Friday night.

Hmm thought it was due on the Monday (10 days long) then again I didn't do it so I could very well be wrong about that.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I don't know what date the exam period ends. It's on the school calendar. The writing completion ends the following Friday night.

Hmm thought it was due on the Monday (10 days long) then again I didn't do it so I could very well be wrong about that.

You're right. I just thought of that and looked it up from last year... Came back here to edit.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Perfect - thanks!

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:08 pm

MissLucky wrote:Perfect - thanks!

To be clear, that'd be 5pm on May 14th. It's 10 days.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:25 pm

NZA wrote:
keg411 wrote:
wolverine10 wrote:Blimpie Burger is excellent, Grizzly peak and Ashleys have great burgers and beer. Being an east coast guy I love Five Guys which just came to AA last year

Nice work! That looks delicious. Thanks.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:30 pm

NZA wrote:
keg411 wrote:

That looks really good and I'm thrilled that they have a vegetarian option.

That said, I would imagine there is no lack of vegetarian food in A2... anyone have any good suggestions?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:06 pm

JoeMo wrote:
NZA wrote:
keg411 wrote:

That looks really good and I'm thrilled that they have a vegetarian option.

That said, I would imagine there is no lack of vegetarian food in A2... anyone have any good suggestions?

Yes... Eat meat. :-D

That is all.

squirrelgirl

Postby squirrelgirl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Seva is a vegetarian place that is pretty good. I feel like I can cook better stuff, but it's good. Pretty much any place in Ann Arbor has veggie food. It's nice.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

squirrelgirl wrote:Seva is a vegetarian place that is pretty good. I feel like I can cook better stuff, but it's good. Pretty much any place in Ann Arbor has veggie food. It's nice.

Jazzy Veggie is also pretty good.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:52 pm

When will the schedule for next semester's classes be posted? I want to blow off my classes right now to create the perfect schedule for next semester!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:08 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:When will the schedule for next semester's classes be posted? I want to blow off my classes right now to create the perfect schedule for next semester!

If you log onto CBI, they've been there for a while.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:18 pm

keg411 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:When will the schedule for next semester's classes be posted? I want to blow off my classes right now to create the perfect schedule for next semester!

...what's CBI?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Antrim wrote:
keg411 wrote:

...what's CBI?

It's this weird interface thing where you bid for classes. You have to login first with your ID to access it.
http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... tions.aspx

All of the Fall 2012 classes are up and a lot of the Winter 2013 schedule is up.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

keg411 wrote:
Antrim wrote:
keg411 wrote:

...what's CBI?

It's this weird interface thing where you bid for classes. You have to login first with your ID to access it.
http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... tions.aspx

All of the Fall 2012 classes are up and a lot of the Winter 2013 schedule is up.

Sooo...with The Public Corporation and Enterprise Orgs, one is supposed to be for business-retarded people, right? Which one is that? Or am I totally off?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 pm

NZA wrote:Sooo...with The Public Corporation and Enterprise Orgs, one is supposed to be for business-retarded people, right? Which one is that? Or am I totally off?

EO is the one that's supposed to be for business-retarded people (I'm in it now). However, I've heard Public Corp really isn't that bad and I kind of regret not taking it -- it seems to me the only real difference is that you skip all of the Partnership/LLC stuff (since they do Agency in Public Corp too). The real downside to Public Corp is the mixed stuff I've heard about Pritchard and the fact that he won't let you use a Pass/Fail on the class. I personally think I would've been happier taking Public Corp for my "difficult" course last semester than suffering thought JJ White's Commercial Transactions class at 8 am.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 pm

keg411 wrote:
NZA wrote:Sooo...with The Public Corporation and Enterprise Orgs, one is supposed to be for business-retarded people, right? Which one is that? Or am I totally off?

EO is the one that's supposed to be for business-retarded people (I'm in it now). However, I've heard Public Corp really isn't that bad and I kind of regret not taking it -- it seems to me the only real difference is that you skip all of the Partnership/LLC stuff (since they do Agency in Public Corp too). The real downside to Public Corp is the mixed stuff I've heard about Pritchard and the fact that he won't let you use a Pass/Fail on the class. I personally think I would've been happier taking Public Corp for my "difficult" course last semester than suffering thought JJ White's Commercial Transactions class at 8 am.

Gotcha...Prof Khanna is teaching EO. Supposed to be good, right?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:59 pm

keg411 wrote:

Public Corp also satisfies your ethics requirement. If you want to challenge yourself (and you're comfortable not being able to P/F), take Pritchard - the material isn't any more difficult despite the notion that it's for business-minded people (I had no business background at all), but he will make sure you learn the subject. You'll also do less of the boring partnership stuff (as mentioned by Keg), fulfill your ethics requirement, and get to spend more time on the really interesting corporate law topics (like fiduciary duties during takeover defenses).

I've generally found that the people that whine about Pritchard tend to be those that have ridiculous egos as law students and take it personally when a professor gives them any flack. He's often sarcastic with his students, but he's equally self-deprecating and an exceptional teacher. He knows the material backwards and forwards, and he actually knows how to teach it, too. For instance, he'll ask a question that has, let's say, four plausible and equally valid answers. His powerpoints are designed so that the answers pop up in the order that his students give these four answers, almost to an exact science. They're all equally valid, but he has an almost disconcerting knowledge of the way students conceptualize the issues that he can almost predict the way they'll answer the questions. I think his powerpoint was out of order two, maybe three times all semester. It was actually crazy how on the ball he was. The only real downside is the class is often full of students who legitimately want to do corporate law to the extent that they're sacrificing the P/F option for the supposedly "more rigorous" course, and the curve may reflect that.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:10 pm

^

Stop making me wish I took Public Corp last semester :(. Wouldn't have had to suffer through PR either, which would have been a double benefit. But that's all my own fault. I did an awful job of constructing my schedule last semester.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks, both of you. Damn. Is Pritchard any more crazy than Krier? Because I have Krier right now, and I feel like people exaggerated his craziness.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:40 pm

You can always get into it by going to a posted schedule, like this one http://web.law.umich.edu/_ClassSchedule/ClassSchedule.asp?term=1870. The number at the end is the semester number. So, if you change it to 1910 you'll get fall. 1920 will give you winter. They are tentative schedules until the link goes hot.

Dean Baum told us this 1L so we could find the Winter one early...so its tacitly permitted.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm

keg411 wrote:^

Stop making me wish I took Public Corp last semester :(. Wouldn't have had to suffer through PR either, which would have been a double benefit. But that's all my own fault. I did an awful job of constructing my schedule last semester.

Haha, my bad. I'm a pretty big Pritchard fan, and I think he gets a worse reputation than he deserves. He's definitely not for everybody, but he's an incredible teacher if you have thick skin. If I'm being completely honest, I think those people who have a problem with Pritchard are in for a very rude awakening if they ever practice corporate law/M&A where they'll be dealing with aggressive bankers on the reg.

NZA wrote:Thanks, both of you. Damn. Is Pritchard any more crazy than Krier? Because I have Krier right now, and I feel like people exaggerated his craziness.

I've never had Krier, actually. What I've heard, though, is Krier might be a little more of the random/cursing kind of "crazy". Pritchard isn't crazy, he's just very bright and won't put up with touchy-feely, bullshit answers. He rarely gives hypotheticals that should be argued one way and then the other and allow you to discuss your feelings or go on an obnoxious tangent with some ridiculous policy argument. Instead, his hypotheticals generally require a correct answer, and then he'll change up the in-class hypotheticals and make you reanalyze the issue from a very different direction. You learn a ton doing it, and he won't hesitate to give you shit (and dock your grade) if your section is on call (everyone is fair game only one day per week) and you aren't adequately prepared for that day.

Have you noticed how every now and then people who aren't prepared (I've done this myself) try to rephrase the cold-call question to the professor to have them repeat it in a way that leads you to the correct answer, or that even just gives you the correct answer? That won't work on him - he knows his question is clear enough, and he'll just stare at you. It may sound scary, but I find it unbelievably refreshing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”