Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JoeMo

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Can we drop this please? I'm afraid this is going to end up on Z's blog and she's going to think I started it.

I'll drop it. But just because your comment is so winsome and endearing.

Haha... well you might've not been here for that but knowing what I know I'd rather not know anything at all. :wink:

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:10 pm

JoeMo wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Can we drop this please? I'm afraid this is going to end up on Z's blog and she's going to think I started it.

LOL. The woman isn't a tyrant.

I know I was just trying to sound like the I forgot what term it was that you used but something like fragile a$$

I'm trying to turn this situation around and take the blame and say let's move on. Is it working?

Fragile Butt Syndrome?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:23 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

LOL. The woman isn't a tyrant.

I know I was just trying to sound like the I forgot what term it was that you used but something like fragile a$$

I'm trying to turn this situation around and take the blame and say let's move on. Is it working?

Fragile Butt Syndrome?

yes, that's totally what it was. I was trying to put my fragile butt syndrome on full display. HAHA

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Reposting this lest it get lost in the fray:

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Did anyone attend any of the Alumni Receptions before they were admitted? Was it worth it? There aren't any near me, but I can easily justify a flight to Boston or NYC for work if need be. Basically, I don't want to go through the hassle of scheduling a visit with an office up north if the receptions are really just glorified parties. However, if there is some actual, useful networking going on, I don't want to miss out on it.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Went to a similar event for BC. It was ok for something to do after work (listen to the dean speak and get free booze). Not worth flying to another city for though. Then again, maybe Michigan's will be more worthwhile?

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Phoenix girl here. Would you please describe or post photos of your winter footwear? I know somewhere in here, coats were already covered, but I couldn't find info on boots. In my mind, I'm picturing ski boots -- is that what people wear to class? I'm thinking that now is the time to purchase them, while they're probably on clearance. Ski pro?

Sorry, I know these questions sound so silly to those of you who live in places that require you to own closed-toe shoes. :)

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Lady in Red wrote:Phoenix girl here. Would you please describe or post photos of your winter footwear? I know somewhere in here, coats were already covered, but I couldn't find info on boots. In my mind, I'm picturing ski boots -- is that what people wear to class? I'm thinking that now is the time to purchase them, while they're probably on clearance. Ski pro?

Sorry, I know these questions sound so silly to those of you who live in places that require you to own closed-toe shoes. :)

You don't need ski boots. I have a normal pair of snow boots (like llbean) I wear when I walk my dog and it's bad. As for gettin to school, I wear a pair of low hiking boots. Basically sneakers with tread and mostly waterproof. They clear the sidewalks and such pretty quickly.

I see tons of girls wearing Ugz type boots.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:13 pm

blowhard wrote:You don't need ski boots. I have a normal pair of snow boots (like llbean) I wear when I walk my dog and it's bad. As for gettin to school, I wear a pair of low hiking boots. Basically sneakers with tread and mostly waterproof. They clear the sidewalks and such pretty quickly.

I see tons of girls wearing Ugz type boots.

Thanks!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Lady in Red wrote:Phoenix girl here. Would you please describe or post photos of your winter footwear? I know somewhere in here, coats were already covered, but I couldn't find info on boots. In my mind, I'm picturing ski boots -- is that what people wear to class? I'm thinking that now is the time to purchase them, while they're probably on clearance. Ski pro?

Just buy Uggs. I wear them all the time and really don't care if it looks totally ridiculous.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:24 pm

keg411 wrote:

Just buy Uggs. I wear them all the time and really don't care if it looks totally ridiculous.

I ruined my Uggs last year. This year I have a pair of Uggs for non-slushy days and on days when its gross out i wear rain boots with fleece inserts like this:

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:35 pm

Since we're on the topic of acceptable wear...

What do people wear when they're out there for ASW? And also what do people wear while actually attending LS? Is this one of those places where people are extremely dressed up at all times or do people go to class in jeans and sweatshirts and sneakers?

Basically, do I need to stock up on Blue Blazers.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 pm

JoeMo wrote:Since we're on the topic of acceptable wear...

What do people wear when they're out there for ASW? And also what do people wear while actually attending LS? Is this one of those places where people are extremely dressed up at all times or do people go to class in jeans and sweatshirts and sneakers?

Polo shirt'ish or equiv for ASW although some wore less. For class, jeans and everything from t-shirts/sweatshirt to polos/sweater/button down. No one really dresses up unless they have a reason.

You'll need a suit for oral argument one day towards the end of 1L. That's basically it.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 pm

anyone know about how long after submitting a second gradplus loan it will take for disbursement? scraping the bottom of the barrel here..

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:00 am

blowhard wrote:

Polo shirt'ish or equiv for ASW although some wore less. For class, jeans and everything from t-shirts/sweatshirt to polos/sweater/button down. No one really dresses up unless they have a reason.

You'll need a suit for oral argument one day towards the end of 1L. That's basically it.

Should I bring a suit or sportscoat to ASW? I mean, I don't want to be underdressed but I also don't want to be the dude that assumed he'd have to wear a sportscoat to meet his classmates.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:04 am

JoeMo wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Should I bring a suit or sportscoat to ASW? I mean, I don't want to be underdressed but I also don't want to be the dude that assumed he'd have to wear a sportscoat to meet his classmates.

I'll be dressing casually. Don't worry about it.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 am

JoeMo wrote:
blowhard wrote:

There's no need. One guy work a jacket and he looked like a tool.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:30 am

agora139 wrote:anyone know about how long after submitting a second gradplus loan it will take for disbursement? scraping the bottom of the barrel here..

I think its like a week. IRC, they disburse on Wed or Thur only.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 am

blowhard wrote:There's no need. One guy work a jacket and he looked like a tool.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was afraid of.

I've been to a few open houses and whenever people dress up they always stick out like a sore thumb. But I wasn't sure if ASW was any different.

I went to an open house once where there was a couple. The guy was in a super tailored pinstripe suit with a pocket square and a briefcase. The girl was in head to toe Chanel. I mean, they looked the part of TV lawyers but it was so over the top. I was afraid this might be more pervasive at ASW for some reason. HAHA.

jfish

Postby jfish » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:13 pm

What's the policy on basketball tickets? Are they available for law students? I am SO EXCITED to be able to watch college sports in person again!

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 pm

jfish wrote:What's the policy on basketball tickets? Are they available for law students? I am SO EXCITED to be able to watch college sports in person again!

You can buy tickets for games or seasons to anything... Football is by far the most popular but some buy others. They are all run through the university's ticket office so its the same as the undergrads get. (Although sometimes we may get seating priority.)

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:42 pm

JoeMo wrote:
blowhard wrote:There's no need. One guy work a jacket and he looked like a tool.

I've been to a few open houses and whenever people dress up they always stick out like a sore thumb. But I wasn't sure if ASW was any different.

I went to an open house once where there was a couple. The guy was in a super tailored pinstripe suit with a pocket square and a briefcase. The girl was in head to toe Chanel. I mean, they looked the part of TV lawyers but it was so over the top. I was afraid this might be more pervasive at ASW for some reason. HAHA.

I plan on wearing a blazer if there are official events after 6 PM... I mean what am I, a farmer?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:20 pm

blowhard wrote:
jfish wrote:What's the policy on basketball tickets? Are they available for law students? I am SO EXCITED to be able to watch college sports in person again!

You can buy tickets for games or seasons to anything... Football is by far the most popular but some buy others. They are all run through the university's ticket office so its the same as the undergrads get. (Although sometimes we may get seating priority.)

Ugh half a grand for season hockey tickets. Guess that's gonna have to be a couple single-game events, at least during 1L. Actually, since law students come from all sorts of areas, including ones that aren't hockey-friendly, do you even know anyone who goes to the hockey games?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:40 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

I plan on wearing a blazer if there are official events after 6 PM... I mean what am I, a farmer?

I don't think that's what blowhard was talking about, it's also not what I was talking about. I was referring more to the daytime events like when you go to whatever forums and tours and things are scheduled during the day. A blazer at night is appropriate in almost any context.

ketchup

Postby ketchup » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:16 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Ugh half a grand for season hockey tickets. Guess that's gonna have to be a couple single-game events, at least during 1L. Actually, since law students come from all sorts of areas, including ones that aren't hockey-friendly, do you even know anyone who goes to the hockey games?

I don't know about you, but my first purchase after my seat deposit will be one of these boys.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:07 pm

ketchup wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Ugh half a grand for season hockey tickets. Guess that's gonna have to be a couple single-game events, at least during 1L. Actually, since law students come from all sorts of areas, including ones that aren't hockey-friendly, do you even know anyone who goes to the hockey games?

I don't know about you, but my first purchase after my seat deposit will be one of these boys.

I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”