Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 46nyc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:31 pm

blowhard wrote:
bannanagram wrote:

Also, just so you are prepared, not many people bring their parents to ASW.


This. By all means bring her..but it's going to cramp your socializing which is 90% of visiting during ASW. Keep her quiet though...I've heard parents say some pretty funny/embarrassing things during visits. E.g. in classroom full of people grilling OCS on what their kid needs to do to secure a summer internship and what they are going to do to help them.

I saw one parent during my ASW (lived here) and can't recall any at the admission events I attended last year.


My mom is coming too - I'm K-JD so I guess that makes it a little better than if I was 30 and bringing my mom?
Anyway, what events would it be okay for me to bring her to? She's a really cool and chill mom if that makes any difference.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:43 pm

46nyc wrote:
blowhard wrote:
bannanagram wrote:

Also, just so you are prepared, not many people bring their parents to ASW.


This. By all means bring her..but it's going to cramp your socializing which is 90% of visiting during ASW. Keep her quiet though...I've heard parents say some pretty funny/embarrassing things during visits. E.g. in classroom full of people grilling OCS on what their kid needs to do to secure a summer internship and what they are going to do to help them.

I saw one parent during my ASW (lived here) and can't recall any at the admission events I attended last year.


My mom is coming too - I'm K-JD so I guess that makes it a little better than if I was 30 and bringing my mom?
Anyway, what events would it be okay for me to bring her to? She's a really cool and chill mom if that makes any difference.


The stuff in classrooms. Don't bring her to the professor meet & greet or the dinners with current students that follow unless she really has questions for students. definitely not the bar night out/Phid party depending on the week, which I recommend you attend.

I understand the inclination is to bring her...but keep in mind you're an adult and this is a professional school. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate in any circumstance but you will be an outlier. Your classmates need to see you as an adult. In 3 years, people will be paying you a lot of money to exercise your discretion...

She won't be able to come on callbacks or interviews...and those are way more stressful and ultimately important.

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 46nyc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:31 pm

blowhard wrote:
The stuff in classrooms. Don't bring her to the professor meet & greet or the dinners with current students that follow unless she really has questions for students. definitely not the bar night out/Phid party depending on the week, which I recommend you attend.

I understand the inclination is to bring her...but keep in mind you're an adult and this is a professional school. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate in any circumstance but you will be an outlier. Your classmates need to see you as an adult. In 3 years, people will be paying you a lot of money to exercise your discretion...

She won't be able to come on callbacks or interviews...and those are way more stressful and ultimately important.


Thanks for all the info. She's not coming as a security blanket, don't worry, and I would never ever even think of bringing her to a callback or interview. She's mostly coming because she wants to go to the Ikea.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 pm

46nyc wrote:
blowhard wrote:
The stuff in classrooms. Don't bring her to the professor meet & greet or the dinners with current students that follow unless she really has questions for students. definitely not the bar night out/Phid party depending on the week, which I recommend you attend.

I understand the inclination is to bring her...but keep in mind you're an adult and this is a professional school. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate in any circumstance but you will be an outlier. Your classmates need to see you as an adult. In 3 years, people will be paying you a lot of money to exercise your discretion...

She won't be able to come on callbacks or interviews...and those are way more stressful and ultimately important.


Thanks for all the info. She's not coming as a security blanket, don't worry, and I would never ever even think of bringing her to a callback or interview. She's mostly coming because she wants to go to the Ikea.


I'd limit her to the classroom stuff then. But, make sure you don't skip the socializing part. Your feeling about them should be a large part of your decision to attend or not.

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Genki » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:39 pm

My cell phone contract expires a couple months before I'll be heading to law school, so I'll be looking at possibly switching to a new carrier.
How is the coverage for each of the major cell phone carriers in Ann Arbor?

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 46nyc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm

blowhard wrote:
46nyc wrote:
blowhard wrote:
The stuff in classrooms. Don't bring her to the professor meet & greet or the dinners with current students that follow unless she really has questions for students. definitely not the bar night out/Phid party depending on the week, which I recommend you attend.

I understand the inclination is to bring her...but keep in mind you're an adult and this is a professional school. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate in any circumstance but you will be an outlier. Your classmates need to see you as an adult. In 3 years, people will be paying you a lot of money to exercise your discretion...

She won't be able to come on callbacks or interviews...and those are way more stressful and ultimately important.


Thanks for all the info. She's not coming as a security blanket, don't worry, and I would never ever even think of bringing her to a callback or interview. She's mostly coming because she wants to go to the Ikea.


I'd limit her to the classroom stuff then. But, make sure you don't skip the socializing part. Your feeling about them should be a large part of your decision to attend or not.



Good tip - thank you!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Genki wrote:My cell phone contract expires a couple months before I'll be heading to law school, so I'll be looking at possibly switching to a new carrier.
How is the coverage for each of the major cell phone carriers in Ann Arbor?


AFAIK, they are all fine. They all suck on game days because 100,000+ people in one small area crash them. I can confirm AT&T is fine.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm

blowhard wrote:
46nyc wrote:
blowhard wrote:
The stuff in classrooms. Don't bring her to the professor meet & greet or the dinners with current students that follow unless she really has questions for students. definitely not the bar night out/Phid party depending on the week, which I recommend you attend.

I understand the inclination is to bring her...but keep in mind you're an adult and this is a professional school. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate in any circumstance but you will be an outlier. Your classmates need to see you as an adult. In 3 years, people will be paying you a lot of money to exercise your discretion...

She won't be able to come on callbacks or interviews...and those are way more stressful and ultimately important.


Thanks for all the info. She's not coming as a security blanket, don't worry, and I would never ever even think of bringing her to a callback or interview. She's mostly coming because she wants to go to the Ikea.


I'd limit her to the classroom stuff then. But, make sure you don't skip the socializing part. Your feeling about them should be a large part of your decision to attend or not.


I totally agree with Blowhard, but if she'll be picking up the check for school, I can understand why she would want to come.

Hope to see you around ASW.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Since we got into the topic of non-student guests: any advice on bringing a spouse? Mine is definitely coming, is there any activity that's more acceptable for spouses to attend?

He won't be around for anything classroom related and I'll probably just walk around the campus with him before or after ASW. But wasn't sure if the party or the meetup we're having prior to is cool?

We're mostly going together to look at areas we'd like to live, etc...

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 46nyc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 pm

JustE wrote:
I totally agree with Blowhard, but if she'll be picking up the check for school, I can understand why she would want to come.

Hope to see you around ASW.


Definitely! Which one are you going to?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 pm

JoeMo wrote:Since we got into the topic of non-student guests: any advice on bringing a spouse? Mine is definitely coming, is there any activity that's more acceptable for spouses to attend?

He won't be around for anything classroom related and I'll probably just walk around the campus with him before or after ASW. But wasn't sure if the party or the meetup we're having prior to is cool?

We're mostly going together to look at areas we'd like to live, etc...


Spouses came to a lot more. The meet & greet, dinners, etc.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:27 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Since we got into the topic of non-student guests: any advice on bringing a spouse? Mine is definitely coming, is there any activity that's more acceptable for spouses to attend?

He won't be around for anything classroom related and I'll probably just walk around the campus with him before or after ASW. But wasn't sure if the party or the meetup we're having prior to is cool?

We're mostly going together to look at areas we'd like to live, etc...


Spouses came to a lot more. The meet & greet, dinners, etc.


Thanks... also, are the weekends as impossible to park in A2 as the week is? As in for the on-campus stuff should I worry now about finding out where the park & ride lots are and all that good stuff?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm

JoeMo wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Since we got into the topic of non-student guests: any advice on bringing a spouse? Mine is definitely coming, is there any activity that's more acceptable for spouses to attend?

He won't be around for anything classroom related and I'll probably just walk around the campus with him before or after ASW. But wasn't sure if the party or the meetup we're having prior to is cool?

We're mostly going together to look at areas we'd like to live, etc...


Spouses came to a lot more. The meet & greet, dinners, etc.


Thanks... also, are the weekends as impossible to park in A2 as the week is? As in for the on-campus stuff should I worry now about finding out where the park & ride lots are and all that good stuff?


I'd just park in one of the garages downtown unless you really don't want to pay... If you're staying in the hotel, you can walk. I left my car there and only drove to look at apts.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:35 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Since we got into the topic of non-student guests: any advice on bringing a spouse? Mine is definitely coming, is there any activity that's more acceptable for spouses to attend?

He won't be around for anything classroom related and I'll probably just walk around the campus with him before or after ASW. But wasn't sure if the party or the meetup we're having prior to is cool?

We're mostly going together to look at areas we'd like to live, etc...


Spouses came to a lot more. The meet & greet, dinners, etc.


Thanks... also, are the weekends as impossible to park in A2 as the week is? As in for the on-campus stuff should I worry now about finding out where the park & ride lots are and all that good stuff?


I'd just park in one of the garages downtown unless you really don't want to pay... If you're staying in the hotel, you can walk. I left my car there and only drove to look at apts.


Bringing spouse thus not staying in hotel but I'm cool with paying for parking. Thanks!

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JustE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:09 am

46nyc wrote:
JustE wrote:
I totally agree with Blowhard, but if she'll be picking up the check for school, I can understand why she would want to come.

Hope to see you around ASW.


Definitely! Which one are you going to?


15-17th

planeride
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby planeride » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:43 pm

So there seems to be a general negative consensus about the apartments that were earmarked as Lawyers Club replacements (the Prime Student ones)?

I may go for one anyway, I'm not too picky and the whole thing just stresses me out so I want the easiest option possible :lol:

One thing I like is that they're within a few blocks of the law school. Are there a lot of other options that close?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JustE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:56 pm

planeride wrote:So there seems to be a general negative consensus about the apartments that were earmarked as Lawyers Club replacements (the Prime Student ones)?

I may go for one anyway, I'm not too picky and the whole thing just stresses me out so I want the easiest option possible :lol:

One thing I like is that they're within a few blocks of the law school. Are there a lot of other options that close?


Well, I think the Lawyer's Club provided a HUGE benefit for 1Ls. Living that close must have really been convenient. For me, if we're going to have to walk 10-15 mins to class, I think it would be best to just find an apartment a few miles away. I've found a condo thats much nicer for half the price that's about 3-4 miles from the law school.

There's lots of great stuff a few miles away... Just my thoughts...

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 pm

The prime apartments are right next to the law school. When I started looking I wanted to live there and was disappointed they were being saved for 1L's. Though it's obviously good for you guys.

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby math101 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Genki wrote:My cell phone contract expires a couple months before I'll be heading to law school, so I'll be looking at possibly switching to a new carrier.
How is the coverage for each of the major cell phone carriers in Ann Arbor?


Other people don't have problems with it, but my AT&T service is pretty bad. Maybe because it's an iPhone, but I've heard that the Verizon iPhone service is pretty good.

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby math101 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:34 pm

. . .
Last edited by math101 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:51 pm

math101 wrote:
Genki wrote:My cell phone contract expires a couple months before I'll be heading to law school, so I'll be looking at possibly switching to a new carrier.
How is the coverage for each of the major cell phone carriers in Ann Arbor?


Other people don't have problems with it, but my AT&T service is pretty bad. Maybe because it's an iPhone, but I've heard that the Verizon iPhone service is pretty good.


I have an iPhone and havent had an issue. Did you restore your phone from a previous model instead of setting up as new? Its a known issue.

Cubyfan21
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Cubyfan21 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 pm

I am a 1L and am wondering how the median works. I know the the target median, but I have noticed that it has been above that some semesters for 1L grades. What do employers see? Do they use the target as the median, or does it depend each semester? Also, does anyone know how to figure out where you stand as far as rank goes for Michigan (general percentage of where you fit in class)?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:I am a 1L and am wondering how the median works. I know the the target median, but I have noticed that it has been above that some semesters for 1L grades. What do employers see? Do they use the target as the median, or does it depend each semester? Also, does anyone know how to figure out where you stand as far as rank goes for Michigan (general percentage of where you fit in class)?


There is a letter from dean Baum if you look under clerkship resources that explains what gpa is roughly what rank at graduation.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:52 pm

blowhard wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:I am a 1L and am wondering how the median works. I know the the target median, but I have noticed that it has been above that some semesters for 1L grades. What do employers see? Do they use the target as the median, or does it depend each semester? Also, does anyone know how to figure out where you stand as far as rank goes for Michigan (general percentage of where you fit in class)?


There is a letter from dean Baum if you look under clerkship resources that explains what gpa is roughly what rank at graduation.

--LinkRemoved--


Access denied.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:53 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:I am a 1L and am wondering how the median works. I know the the target median, but I have noticed that it has been above that some semesters for 1L grades. What do employers see? Do they use the target as the median, or does it depend each semester? Also, does anyone know how to figure out where you stand as far as rank goes for Michigan (general percentage of where you fit in class)?


There is a letter from dean Baum if you look under clerkship resources that explains what gpa is roughly what rank at graduation.

--LinkRemoved--


Access denied.


You have to be logged in with a real umich...the one you create after you deposit.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: j431e782 and 5 guests