Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JoeMo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Does anyone know how long the Saturday morning jog is? I just signed up for Preview Weekend and it speaks of a Saturday morning jog that Dean Z goes on. Are we talking an easy 5, a grueling 12, or a jovial 1?


Too long for me to join. LOL. I'm more of a treadmill runner myself. The elements do weird things to my breathing patterns.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Is the Phid House as fratty as I think it is?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:22 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Is the Phid House as fratty as I think it is?


On this note, I know a few TLSers live in Phid House. That can't be an easy feat to pull. How many people apply per class each year?

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:I would like the rest of my grades back, please. :cry: :x :cry: :x


I would like the first of my grades back.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Entchen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Last year we had about 30-35 applications, 11 people got in (actually, 12 -- one got into Phid but then decided to go to law school somewhere else, so one person who was on our waitlist got in later). I have no idea how the new housing system will affect our applications this year, though.

It's not that fratty.

To my knowledge, there are 3 TLS-types in the 1L class in house right now.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JoeMo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:I would like the rest of my grades back, please. :cry: :x :cry: :x


I would like the first of my grades back.


Damn, you still don't have any grades?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Entchen wrote:Last year we had about 30-35 applications, 11 people got in (actually, 12 -- one got into Phid but then decided to go to law school somewhere else, so one person who was on our waitlist got in later). I have no idea how the new housing system will affect our applications this year, though.

It's not that fratty.

To my knowledge, there are 3 TLS-types in the 1L class in house right now.


Thanks, I was estimating much less than a 33% chance.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:50 pm

JoeMo wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:I would like the rest of my grades back, please. :cry: :x :cry: :x


I would like the first of my grades back.


Damn, you still don't have any grades?


None. Nada. Zilch.

Two of my professors aren't returning them until the deadline (January 26).

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 83947368 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 am

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JustE » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:56 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:What neighborhoods/areas do law students (or students in general) live in AA? I'm looking for a place that's as close to the school as possible and I'm willing to pay as much as 1250/mo for a 1 bedroom.

I'm looking for convenience here, no car and walking to class in winter if possible.


If you're willing to pay that much, you'll have plenty of nice options.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby MissLucky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 pm

where can i find the cut offs for latin honors (cum laude, etc)? thanks!

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JustE » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:22 pm

MissLucky wrote:where can i find the cut offs for latin honors (cum laude, etc)? thanks!


Errrr... Someone's planning ahead... :lol:

HONORS ELIGIBILITY
The GPA rules are applicable to everybody, but there is some variation in the pass/fail requirements, so please read carefully those which pertain to you. Please bear in mind that there is no rounding off for honors. The GPA rules are as follows:
Summa Cum Laude: GPA of 4.000 or higher
Magna Cum Laude: GPA of 3.700 to 3.999
Cum Laude: GPA of 3.400 to 3.699

http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... 02009B.pdf
At the very bottom.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby MissLucky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm

JustE wrote:
MissLucky wrote:where can i find the cut offs for latin honors (cum laude, etc)? thanks!


Errrr... Someone's planning ahead... :lol:

HONORS ELIGIBILITY
The GPA rules are applicable to everybody, but there is some variation in the pass/fail requirements, so please read carefully those which pertain to you. Please bear in mind that there is no rounding off for honors. The GPA rules are as follows:
Summa Cum Laude: GPA of 4.000 or higher
Magna Cum Laude: GPA of 3.700 to 3.999
Cum Laude: GPA of 3.400 to 3.699

http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudent ... 02009B.pdf
At the very bottom.


thanks so much!!!

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:21 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Are we talking an easy 5, a grueling 12, or a jovial 1?

Miles?! Yea... nvm. I was thinking ~3 miles max. Maybe I'll leave my running shoes at home.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Anyone know when is the write on competition for law review? / How many days is it?

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby GMVarun » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am

AreJay711 wrote:Anyone know when is the write on competition for law review? / How many days is it?

There will be several meetings about this towards the end of this semester. The general timeline (or at least what it was last year) is that you can pick up packets on the last Thursday of finals period (that is the last day of finals). You then have more than a week to work on it. It is due the following Monday in the late afternoon. Most people do not begin until Sunday/Monday. I did not anyways, and I found even starting on Monday I had plenty of time to do the writing competition, though certainly somewhat painful.

I should add that while some other journals allow you to see the application before hand, the other journals follow the same exact timeline (except maybe the PE journal was new last year so I am not sure what they will do this year). So you do all of your journal applications in that time frame.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 am

GMVarun wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Anyone know when is the write on competition for law review? / How many days is it?

There will be several meetings about this towards the end of this semester. The general timeline (or at least what it was last year) is that you can pick up packets on the last Thursday of finals period (that is the last day of finals). You then have more than a week to work on it. It is due the following Monday in the late afternoon. Most people do not begin until Sunday/Monday. I did not anyways, and I found even starting on Monday I had plenty of time to do the writing competition, though certainly somewhat painful.

I should add that while some other journals allow you to see the application before hand, the other journals follow the same exact timeline (except maybe the PE journal was new last year so I am not sure what they will do this year). So you do all of your journal applications in that time frame.


To be clear, thats starting the Monday after finals... definitely not the Monday it is due. I scanned ver some of the material on Saturday for like an hour to get an idea of the prompt and stew over it...also didn't start writing until Monday'ish.

I'd advise you to do the other journals first. You can use your LRW memo and the same stuff for all of those. I quit the LR application like 3 times...and while I eventually finished...I know of others who quit and ended up on no journals.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby GMVarun » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 pm

blowhard wrote:
GMVarun wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Anyone know when is the write on competition for law review? / How many days is it?

There will be several meetings about this towards the end of this semester. The general timeline (or at least what it was last year) is that you can pick up packets on the last Thursday of finals period (that is the last day of finals). You then have more than a week to work on it. It is due the following Monday in the late afternoon. Most people do not begin until Sunday/Monday. I did not anyways, and I found even starting on Monday I had plenty of time to do the writing competition, though certainly somewhat painful.

I should add that while some other journals allow you to see the application before hand, the other journals follow the same exact timeline (except maybe the PE journal was new last year so I am not sure what they will do this year). So you do all of your journal applications in that time frame.


To be clear, thats starting the Monday after finals... definitely not the Monday it is due. I scanned ver some of the material on Saturday for like an hour to get an idea of the prompt and stew over it...also didn't start writing until Monday'ish.

I'd advise you to do the other journals first. You can use your LRW memo and the same stuff for all of those. I quit the LR application like 3 times...and while I eventually finished...I know of others who quit and ended up on no journals.

Yeah, sorry I should have been more clear. I meant 7 days (working for most of the day), from Monday to Monday, is probably enough time for most people to finish. I know a few people who started right away, but I was way too burned out to do that.

I also agree: you should apply to multiple journals. I think how you split up your week is person-dependent (I found it better to "take a break" so to speak from the MLR one by doing an other application), but I definitely do think you should leave yourself time to do those, even if you decide not to finish the MLR writing competition.

User avatar
citygirl000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby citygirl000 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:45 pm

...
Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:25 pm

citygirl000 wrote:Hi all,
I'm going to the 2nd ASW and since I'll be going with my mom, I need to find a hotel - could any of you give me suggestions, please?! :)


Cheapest I've found so far is the Motel 6 just south of campus for about $42/night. It appears if you are willing to go 10 miles out, you can get something for $32/night, but then you'd have to deal with having to drive back and forth to campus.

User avatar
citygirl000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby citygirl000 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:42 pm

...
Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xwing_redleader
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby xwing_redleader » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 am

How tough is it to get into clinical courses like the Innocence Clinic? Are clinical courses competitive to get into, or does everyone who wants to do a clinic get the opportunity?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:08 am

xwing_redleader wrote:How tough is it to get into clinical courses like the Innocence Clinic? Are clinical courses competitive to get into, or does everyone who wants to do a clinic get the opportunity?


A lot of 2Ls make it in. For popular clinics, you may need to use a priority 2L. I don't know of anyone who wanted a clinic but has never been able to get one. I do know of people who had to wait until a different semester than they wanted. This semester, there were even a few slots left over in add/drop.

bannanagram
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby bannanagram » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:51 pm

citygirl000 wrote:Hi all,
I'm going to the 2nd ASW and since I'll be going with my mom, I need to find a hotel - could any of you give me suggestions, please?! :)


If you Priceline/have a car/don't mind not being right in town, there are decent deals around Feb/Mar. I've Pricelined and gotten the Marriott at Eagle Crest in Ypsi for $50 a night. It's a 10-15 min drive to campus. If you want to be closer, there are a bank of hotels off of State Street on Victors Way/Boardwalk Dr. that sometimes have good rates (Courtyard, Sheraton, Comfort Inn) and are a straight shot down State Street to campus.

Also, just so you are prepared, not many people bring their parents to ASW.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 pm

bannanagram wrote:

Also, just so you are prepared, not many people bring their parents to ASW.


This. By all means bring her..but it's going to cramp your socializing which is 90% of visiting during ASW. Keep her quiet though...I've heard parents say some pretty funny/embarrassing things during visits. E.g. in classroom full of people grilling OCS on what their kid needs to do to secure a summer internship and what they are going to do to help them.

I saw one parent during my ASW (lived here) and can't recall any at the admission events I attended last year.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: packerboy31489 and 2 guests