Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScrabbleChamp

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Can anyone give me any insight into how the Hollywood Park area is? I am looking at a home in that area and want to know what those with an intimate knowledge of Ann Arbor think about the area.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:03 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Can anyone give me any insight into how the Hollywood Park area is? I am looking at a home in that area and want to know what those with an intimate knowledge of Ann Arbor think about the area.

No idea where that is.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 am

blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Can anyone give me any insight into how the Hollywood Park area is? I am looking at a home in that area and want to know what those with an intimate knowledge of Ann Arbor think about the area.

No idea where that is.

I looked it up on google maps. It's really far from campus and way west of Kerrytown. Probably on the border of AA in general. It's going to be hard for you to get feedback because I doubt anyone from the law school lives there or has ever been there.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 pm

keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

No idea where that is.

I looked it up on google maps. It's really far from campus and way west of Kerrytown. Probably on the border of AA in general. It's going to be hard for you to get feedback because I doubt anyone from the law school lives there or has ever been there.

Wow, so the law school experience is pretty insular then? You all stay within a few blocks of the law school and that's it?

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:57 pm

JoeMo wrote:
keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

No idea where that is.

Wow, so the law school experience is pretty insular then? You all stay within a few blocks of the law school and that's it?

From what I hear, yes. I was debating renting a nice condo 4 miles away. Everyone I spoke with was appalled at how far away it is. A big issue is parking. Another issue is travel time during exams. Another issue is getting around to events/study groups/etc when you're on the "other side of town".

I'm just a 0L, though. Just my experience so far.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 pm

keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

No idea where that is.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. Although it may be "far", the house is literally a block from a bus stop that goes straight to the school, and according to google maps, it should only take about 20-25 minutes on the bus each way, which isn't that bad, in my opinion.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:05 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

No idea where that is.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. Although it may be "far", the house is literally a block from a bus stop that goes straight to the school, and according to google maps, it should only take about 20-25 minutes on the bus each way, which isn't that bad, in my opinion.

That's far in AA time to anywhere. You're going to be seriously away from everything that's going on. I mean, I feel like I'm incredibly removed from what's going on and I'm significantly closer then you will be. Even if you are moving here with an entire family, I would really suggest you reconsider and try to find something closer (like maybe in the Kerrytown area). Also, the buses can be really difficult on the weekends (my bus doesn't even run then).

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:07 pm

keg411 wrote:That's far in AA time to anywhere. You're going to be seriously away from everything that's going on. I mean, I feel like I'm incredibly removed from what's going on and I'm significantly closer then you will be. Even if you are moving here with an entire family, I would really suggest you reconsider and try to find something closer (like maybe in the Kerrytown area). Also, the buses can be really difficult on the weekends (my bus doesn't even run then).

Everyone says that... "you're going to be incredibly far from everything going on" what is the importance of being close to everything going on? I'm not being an a-hole, I'm just curious as to why there's so much emphasis on this... to me, it seems perfectly reasonable to live 4 miles from the school. I don't see where this could be a problem.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 pm

JoeMo wrote:
keg411 wrote:That's far in AA time to anywhere. You're going to be seriously away from everything that's going on. I mean, I feel like I'm incredibly removed from what's going on and I'm significantly closer then you will be. Even if you are moving here with an entire family, I would really suggest you reconsider and try to find something closer (like maybe in the Kerrytown area). Also, the buses can be really difficult on the weekends (my bus doesn't even run then).

Everyone says that... "you're going to be incredibly far from everything going on" what is the importance of being close to everything going on? I'm not being an a-hole, I'm just curious as to why there's so much emphasis on this... to me, it seems perfectly reasonable to live 4 miles from the school. I don't see where this could be a problem.

Because if people are getting together and going out on a Friday night and it's snowing, you're going to be stuck sitting in your apartment 4 miles away reading TLS :lol:. The buses don't run at night, taxis are horribly expensive and unreliable, and drinking and driving is an awful idea.

It's also not the type of thing you realize until you get here.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm

keg411 wrote:Because if people are getting together and going out on a Friday night and it's snowing, you're going to be stuck sitting in your apartment 4 miles away reading TLS :lol:. The buses don't run at night, taxis are horribly expensive and unreliable, and drinking and driving is an awful idea.

Slightly less problematic if you have a spouse willing to pick you up. :wink:

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 pm

JoeMo wrote:
keg411 wrote:Because if people are getting together and going out on a Friday night and it's snowing, you're going to be stuck sitting in your apartment 4 miles away reading TLS :lol:. The buses don't run at night, taxis are horribly expensive and unreliable, and drinking and driving is an awful idea.

Slightly less problematic if you have a spouse willing to pick you up. :wink:

So THAT's what they're for... :wink:

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 pm

keg411 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Because if people are getting together and going out on a Friday night and it's snowing, you're going to be stuck sitting in your apartment 4 miles away reading TLS :lol:. The buses don't run at night, taxis are horribly expensive and unreliable, and drinking and driving is an awful idea.

A taxi is like $9 (I live like 1/4 mile from you) and ubber reliable...they just take 10 minutes to get to you once you call. They even call when they get there so you don't have to wait outside. What taxi company are you using? It's inconvenient at times but not that big of a deal. Most of the people I know who live downtown aren't exactly out every night anyhow.

Also, the #7 bus runs on weekends...straight downtown. It's just .5 mile walk or a transfer if you want to go to the law school.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 pm

I have a wife and two kids and don't really drink (like... maybe once a month, and even then just a beer). I'm not going to attempt to be anti-social, but my priorities will be doing well in school and spending as much time as I can with my family, so I doubt I will be too worried about getting to campus to go to a bar or hang out with others. I'm looking forward to having more time to spend with my family during law school than I have now, and I intend to spend that extra time with them.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:27 pm

blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

A taxi is like $9 (I live like 1/4 mile from you) and ubber reliable...they just take 10 minutes to get to you once you call. They even call when they get there so you don't have to wait outside. What taxi company are you using? It's inconvenient at times but not that big of a deal. Most of the people I know who live downtown aren't exactly out every night anyhow.

Also, the #7 bus runs on weekends...straight downtown. It's just .5 mile walk or a transfer if you want to go to the law school.

I live near where you are, and every taxi to campus has cost me way closer to $15 than $10.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:51 am

I only live 1.5 miles from school and on a bus line. I'm moving closer next year.

The buses stop running pretty early, which sucks both if you're drinking and if you're studying.

I know it is cheaper to live far away, but the convenience is kind of worth it.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:14 pm

keg411 wrote:
I live near where you are, and every taxi to campus has cost me way closer to $15 than $10.

I use Yellow Cab and from downtown its always $8-9 for the fare to the downtown area. I don't cab to school so that may add more especially if they go South State instead of over to Main. Even then, its not that expensive. The bus is still running when I go out to leave...so I just need a fare home.

If you go out every weekend, $60-75 in cab fare may seem like a lot but living downtown will cost you way more. I looked downtown for this year...it was going to be almost $400 more for a comparably sized/quality place unless I got like 5 roommates and rented a house.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 pm

blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I use Yellow Cab and from downtown its always $8-9 for the fare to the downtown area. I don't cab to school so that may add more especially if they go South State instead of over to Main. Even then, its not that expensive. The bus is still running when I go out to leave...so I just need a fare home.

I meant more when I go out at night. I don't cab to school. I'm sure cabbing to places on South Main is cheap, but I'm more talking about going to the East U bars or just meeting people at the LC. I've actually taken to splitting the driving with my roommate over taking the cabs, or just not going out in general because if people make last minute plans it becomes too much of a hassle.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:36 pm

keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I meant more when I go out at night. I don't cab to school. I'm sure cabbing to places on South Main is cheap, but I'm more talking about going to the East U bars or just meeting people at the LC. I've actually taken to splitting the driving with my roommate over taking the cabs, or just not going out in general because if people make last minute plans it becomes too much of a hassle.

Yeah, East U would be more. I am typically at the less undergraddy places on Main... Saturday nights especially I drive as you can leave your car and just get it Sunday if you do end up drinking too much.

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Have any of the 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls used Campus Management or know anyone who has? Also... if we can't get to Ann Arbor until March, would it be better to try to email landlords/management companies now about prospective apartments or should we just wait until a week or two before we're going? Thanks for the help everyone!

pineappl

Postby pineappl » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Just curious: most socializing drinking-related? other things to do in AA that people actually do? Not related: I hear a lot about summer start, but how was your first month/ meeting people/ stress level/ etc for fall starters? Thanks!

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:42 pm

pineappl wrote:Just curious: most socializing drinking-related? other things to do in AA that people actually do? Not related: I hear a lot about summer start, but how was your first month/ meeting people/ stress level/ etc for fall starters? Thanks!

First month of fall is not bad at all. People went to sporting events, went out drinking, went bowling, went to concerts, or sat around and watched tv plenty.

Now I'm not saying that it's not hard work, I probably did 50 hours of work a week last semester, but I might have also done a little too much work compared to others.

iThwl

Postby iThwl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Last edited by iThwl on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:33 pm

iThwl wrote:So, the Lawyer's Club will not be available for fall 2012?

nope.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 pm

I would like the rest of my grades back, please. :cry: :x :cry: :x

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Does anyone know how long the Saturday morning jog is? I just signed up for Preview Weekend and it speaks of a Saturday morning jog that Dean Z goes on. Are we talking an easy 5, a grueling 12, or a jovial 1?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”