Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NZA

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:03 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:When can us 1Ls expect grades to start showing up? When is the latest you've had a grade show up? (I had Clark who is supposed to be notoriously late on grades)

...oh god, why would you ask a question like this? :(

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:32 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:When can us 1Ls expect grades to start showing up? When is the latest you've had a grade show up? (I had Clark who is supposed to be notoriously late on grades)

We got summer term grades about two weeks into fall term. I suspect these might take a bit longer, though, since the profs might be teaching more than the one class.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Entchen wrote:

We got summer term grades about two weeks into fall term. I suspect these might take a bit longer, though, since the profs might be teaching more than the one class.

I'm not going to look at my grades until I start thinking about EIW bidding.

tmb11

Postby tmb11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 am

What kind of opportunities are available for grads in Ann Arbor / Detroit? For example, if my SO started a PhD program at UM the same time I started law, I would want to remain in the area for approximately 2 more years and was wondering how much of a sacrifice I would have to make to do that.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:33 am

tmb11 wrote:What kind of opportunities are available for grads in Ann Arbor / Detroit? For example, if my SO started a PhD program at UM the same time I started law, I would want to remain in the area for approximately 2 more years and was wondering how much of a sacrifice I would have to make to do that.

Depends on what you want to do. Law firm hiring is almost exclusively from your second summer so there is no taking 2 years local and then going to a big firm. We place well at Michigan firms but then you'd be here for the long haul not 2 years. Michigan also has one of the highest unemployment rates.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:50 am

JoeMo wrote:Anyone know anyone that lives in Northwood IV or V in family housing? Any word on how tough it might be to get in?

Don't live there. It's far from the LS, on North Campus where very few of your classmates will live, and the model I looked at smelled like cat pee. The common areas were not well kept. You can do better for the price.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 am

bannanagram wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Anyone know anyone that lives in Northwood IV or V in family housing? Any word on how tough it might be to get in?

Don't live there. It's far from the LS, on North Campus where very few of your classmates will live, and the model I looked at smelled like cat pee. The common areas were not well kept. You can do better for the price.

Really? It just seemed like the easiest option for us.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 pm

JoeMo wrote:
bannanagram wrote:

Really? It just seemed like the easiest option for us.

Feel free to PM me with what you're looking for in somewhere to live next year. I've done a pretty extensive Ann Arbor housing search over the past few months and can probably point you in the right direction.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 pm

NZA wrote:

If I remember correctly, grades didn't come out last year until the end of January/early February. I wouldn't hold your breath.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Bronte wrote:
NZA wrote:

If I remember correctly, grades didn't come out last year until the end of January/early February. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Thank God, man. I mean, I think I did okay, but . . . damn. I don't want to know.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:31 am

NZA wrote:
Bronte wrote:
NZA wrote:

Thank God, man. I mean, I think I did okay, but . . . damn. I don't want to know.

See, I kind of want my first actual feedback for the year. Plus anywhere I'm applying for work wants to know my grades.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 pm

NZA wrote:
Bronte wrote:
NZA wrote:

Eh, that's not a great idea. If you did poorly, you need to know what to change for the second semester. You'd be amazed how much you can bump your GPA.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Anybody know of anywhere that someone could get work as a paralegal in the Ann Arbor area? This wouldn't be for the 0L but for an experienced paralegal.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:38 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:See, I kind of want my first actual feedback for the year. Plus anywhere I'm applying for work wants to know my grades.

Yeah...I'm just trying to enjoy these last few moments of bliss before returning to the grind.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Another question that may make others want to bang their head against the wall: do you know when write-on or the spring writing competiton (whatever the tryout process is called)?

Just trying to figure out when I am free in May.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:30 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Another question that may make others want to bang their head against the wall: do you know when write-on or the spring writing competiton (whatever the tryout process is called)?

Just trying to figure out when I am free in May.

It's the week (really week and a half with weekends) after finals.

Leahgram

Postby Leahgram » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:31 pm

I am not sure if anyone has asked this yet but I am wondering what your numbers looked like when you applied to U of M. I am trying to figure out what to aim for and was wondering what your college GPA and LSAT score looked like. Thanks!!!

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Leahgram wrote:I am not sure if anyone has asked this yet but I am wondering what your numbers looked like when you applied to U of M. I am trying to figure out what to aim for and was wondering what your college GPA and LSAT score looked like. Thanks!!!

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:12 pm

For any Summer Starters reading this: Is Torts always one of the courses for Summer Start? I looked at the last two years in the course catalog, and it looks like one year was Contracts/Torts/Legal Practice I, and the other year was Civil Procedure/Torts/Legal Practice I. I know Legal Practice I is always in the curriculum, but I'm not sure if Torts was just offered the last two years, or if it is always one of the two required courses.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:For any Summer Starters reading this: Is Torts always one of the courses for Summer Start? I looked at the last two years in the course catalog, and it looks like one year was Contracts/Torts/Legal Practice I, and the other year was Civil Procedure/Torts/Legal Practice I. I know Legal Practice I is always in the curriculum, but I'm not sure if Torts was just offered the last two years, or if it is always one of the two required courses.

I'd really like to know this as well. I'd like to start gunning reviewing as soon as possible.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Is J.J. White retiring this year? I have heard differing accounts:

blowhard wrote:He taught last fall. This is his last year....he's retiring.
tamlyric wrote:Talked to JJ recently. He might be teaching next fall. 8)

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:34 pm

JustE wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:For any Summer Starters reading this: Is Torts always one of the courses for Summer Start? I looked at the last two years in the course catalog, and it looks like one year was Contracts/Torts/Legal Practice I, and the other year was Civil Procedure/Torts/Legal Practice I. I know Legal Practice I is always in the curriculum, but I'm not sure if Torts was just offered the last two years, or if it is always one of the two required courses.

I'd really like to know this as well. I'd like to start gunning reviewing as soon as possible.

When I find out, I'll be sure not to tell you. :-)

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:11 pm

So I'm going to be visiting in a couple weeks on a Thursday and Friday (flying up early Thursday). Does anyone have recommendations for 1L classes to visit that either start after 1PM on Thursday or anytime on Friday? I'm hoping to visit at least 2-3 total just to get a perspective that isn't biased off of just one prof.

I'm looking at this class schedule

Any recommendations on hotel would also be appreciated.

If any of you current students would be interested in grabbing coffee on Thursday or Friday to just talk about the school, I'd love to hear some individual experiences with the law school (your coffee's on me :D). Thanks!

logan

Postby logan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Kurst wrote:Is J.J. White retiring this year? I have heard differing accounts:

He is planning on teaching through the Fall semester of this year.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:18 pm

logan wrote:
Kurst wrote:Is J.J. White retiring this year? I have heard differing accounts:

He is planning on teaching through the Fall semester of this year.

lolololol. Now I totally regret taking Commercial Transactions last semester when I could've taken that shit 3L year (or better yet, not taken it) :?.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”