Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
keg411

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:03 am

It's been cold enough.
Also, it was worse pretty much everywhere last winter.

Philly_Wolverine

Postby Philly_Wolverine » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:18 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:So, I've never actually lived in a climate like Michigan... how warm of a jacket do I need to purchase? I'm looking online at jackets on North Face and Columbia, and I have no clue what the difference between a $750 jacket and a $200 jacket are. Any tips on which cold weather jackets are best? Same goes for waterproof boots, too.

My roommate is a warm-weather native (I'm a 1L) whose thickest jacket was sweater when he got here, so I sort of have some perspective from living in a colder environment AND seeing somebody struggle with the Michigan cold...

Columbia jackets are apparently the best for the price. I didn't know this (I have a NorthFace), but Columbias are apparently REALLY warm while being cost efficient. You might also want to get an in-between polar fleece for those days when it's not warm, but it's not freezing either.

As for boots...I have one pair of shoes and I've been fine. I see a lot of women here wearing rain boots (I don't know what gender you are), but I have yet to see a guy wear them. Could be wrong, though.

math101

Postby math101 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:36 pm

. . .
Last edited by math101 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 am

Are noise-cancelling headphones allowed during exams?

math101

Postby math101 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:47 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Are noise-cancelling headphones allowed during exams?

No they are not, but they will provide you with earplugs at the exam. I found them to be very effective.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 am

math101 wrote:

No they are not, but they will provide you with earplugs at the exam. I found them to be very effective.

Are you allowed to bring your own? I am an avid shooter and have a wonderful set that is very comfortable.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:13 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
math101 wrote:

Are you allowed to bring your own? I am an avid shooter and have a wonderful set that is very comfortable.

Yup

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Is there any way to predict how good my grades will be at a school like Michigan? I am not applying until next fall, but based on my grades and LSAT I should get into a couple T-10's. My LSAT is 8 points over the 75th percentile and my GPA is a little above the 75th percentile for the class of 2014 at Michigan. What does this suggest about my ability to be in top quarter or 3rd at Michigan with very hard work?

charliep

Postby charliep » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:37 pm

hume85 wrote:Is there any way to predict how good my grades will be at a school like Michigan? I am not applying until next fall, but based on my grades and LSAT I should get into a couple T-10's. My LSAT is 8 points over the 75th percentile and my GPA is a little above the 75th percentile for the class of 2014 at Michigan. What does this suggest about my ability to be in top quarter or 3rd at Michigan with very hard work?

c'mon, hume. there is no logical reason to suggest the future will be like the past. the rock of your previous academic achievement may remain suspended in mid-air when dropping it on Michigan

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Really need advice. I've found a nice condo to rent that's 4.5 miles from the law school. It's $1150 for a 2 bedroom with hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances. I've lived in a house for a while, so this sounds perfect. All I need is a roommate.

What are my parking options if I need to drive to campus? I would hate to drive just to have to walk 10 mins after I park. Also, does the condo sound like a good idea?

Thanks,

E

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 pm

JustE wrote:Really need advice. I've found a nice condo to rent that's 4.5 miles from the law school. It's $1150 for a 2 bedroom with hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances. I've lived in a house for a while, so this sounds perfect. All I need is a roommate.

What are my parking options if I need to drive to campus? I would hate to drive just to have to walk 10 mins after I park. Also, does the condo sound like a good idea?

Thanks,

E

parking's not as bad around the LS as i would've thought coming in. plus, you should have the option of renting a parking space at the law school frat about a block from the LS for $100/mo if you're really opposed to the idea of having to find street parking near the school.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:59 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:
JustE wrote:Really need advice. I've found a nice condo to rent that's 4.5 miles from the law school. It's $1150 for a 2 bedroom with hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances. I've lived in a house for a while, so this sounds perfect. All I need is a roommate.

Thanks,

E

parking's not as bad around the LS as i would've thought coming in. plus, you should have the option of renting a parking space at the law school frat about a block from the LS for $100/mo if you're really opposed to the idea of having to find street parking near the school.

Is that a lot to pay for parking? $800 a year? With the summer, we're talking $1200 in extra expenses? I plan to be on campus pretty early. Would it be easy to find something early AM?

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01 pm

charliep wrote:
hume85 wrote:Is there any way to predict how good my grades will be at a school like Michigan? I am not applying until next fall, but based on my grades and LSAT I should get into a couple T-10's. My LSAT is 8 points over the 75th percentile and my GPA is a little above the 75th percentile for the class of 2014 at Michigan. What does this suggest about my ability to be in top quarter or 3rd at Michigan with very hard work?

c'mon, hume. there is no logical reason to suggest the future will be like the past. the rock of your previous academic achievement may remain suspended in mid-air when dropping it on Michigan

LOL . . . That is a great answer. I should have chosen Galton85 as my username. Anybody else have any thoughts on my question?

mblueyahoo!

Postby mblueyahoo! » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:55 pm

hume85 wrote:
charliep wrote:

LOL . . . That is a great answer. I should have chosen Galton85 as my username. Anybody else have any thoughts on my question?

It does not suggest much, even with significantly higher stats. The correlation between LSAT/GPA and law school grades is less convincing when you smoosh a lot of pretty smart people together and base the grade off of one writing contest per course. Other considerations that might be just as relevant to grades: are you a good writer? how fast do you type? how did you study for exams--supps, casebooks and/or do every practice exam and go over them with profs? etc. etc.

I'm inclined to say that you have a better shot at getting above the median mark, but there's a chance element combined with a sort of confusion because no one really knows what they're doing. I fully expect a couple low-LSAT/meh-GPA people to dominate the high-lsat/high-gpa folks, simply because their version of "study hard" was better suited to their learning style and corresponded to the particular exam style governed by your professor's whims. For example, those students who read the casebook thoroughly and maybe a philosophy book or two were better prepared for my property exam, which asked, hilariously, "what are property rights?" But, for torts, knowledge of bll combined with practice test after practice test were probably the way to go.

tl;dr--don't count on higher stats and hard work to deliver the goods. you probably have an advantage, but there's no guarantee. finally, unless there's scholarship money involved, shoot higher and take the leveled playing field.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:13 pm

JustE wrote:
crazyblink653 wrote:

Thanks,

E

Is that a lot to pay for parking? $800 a year? With the summer, we're talking $1200 in extra expenses? I plan to be on campus pretty early. Would it be easy to find something early AM?

yeah parking's easier to find early in the AM. you can even get something right across from the LS most likely. however, it's meter parking (and the parking police are pretty vigilant) and some spaces have time limits, so it's just something to keep in mind. the 100/mo is pretty steep, but it's nice knowing you have a space guaranteed every day and don't have to worry about moving it every few hours or so.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:31 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:
JustE wrote:
crazyblink653 wrote:

Thanks,

E

yeah parking's easier to find early in the AM. you can even get something right across from the LS most likely. however, it's meter parking (and the parking police are pretty vigilant) and some spaces have time limits, so it's just something to keep in mind. the 100/mo is pretty steep, but it's nice knowing you have a space guaranteed every day and don't have to worry about moving it every few hours or so.

True. Didn't realize it was metered. I've heard I can find spaces as cheap as $75/month. Now that I think about it, $900 a year is pretty reasonable. I was paying almost $300 a semester in undergrad... This might actually work out. Thanks!!!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:59 pm

I live in a condo south of campus. I drive to the free commuter lot and take the bus from there to the law school (bus is also free)

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 pm

keg411 wrote:I live in a condo south of campus. I drive to the free commuter lot and take the bus from there to the law school (bus is also free)

How bad is the wait? I think I rode the bus once... Can't remember what for... I'm not opposed to the idea, just not used to it. I imagine the wait sucks in the snow?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 am

JustE wrote:
keg411 wrote:I live in a condo south of campus. I drive to the free commuter lot and take the bus from there to the law school (bus is also free)

How bad is the wait? I think I rode the bus once... Can't remember what for... I'm not opposed to the idea, just not used to it. I imagine the wait sucks in the snow?

I usually just wait in my car until the bus gets close. Hasn't been bad at all.

That said, I'm planning to move closer to campus next year because it kind of sucks being away from everything/everyone. The only times my place is good was for the football games (okay that it's really nice and has a garage is super sweet too; just wish it was closer to the bars/other people besides my roommate).

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:45 am

Are there intramural teams composed of solely law students, or any law-only intramural leagues?

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 am

keg411 wrote:
JustE wrote:

That said, I'm planning to move closer to campus next year because it kind of sucks being away from everything/everyone. The only times my place is good was for the football games (okay that it's really nice and has a garage is super sweet too; just wish it was closer to the bars/other people besides my roommate).

Sucks how? Is it a long drive or does everyone generally live in walking distance from each other?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 pm

JustE wrote:
keg411 wrote:
JustE wrote:

Sucks how? Is it a long drive or does everyone generally live in walking distance from each other?

More of the fact that everyone goes out either around South Main or South U, so it sucks having to either drive and not drink or cab it which costs $$$$. For class and during the week it's fine, but the buses don't right late enough for the fun stuff.

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:23 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
math101 wrote:

Yup

Actually, you are not allowed to bring your own earplugs, but the rule is not enforced.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Anyone know anyone that lives in Northwood IV or V in family housing? Any word on how tough it might be to get in?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm

When can us 1Ls expect grades to start showing up? When is the latest you've had a grade show up? (I had Clark who is supposed to be notoriously late on grades)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”