Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people lock down leases for apartments several months ahead of the actual move in date in AA. What kind of commitment do they require? Is it your experience to have to sign a lease 3 months in advance or just paying for a deposit of some kind. Thanks!


I signed a lease in October that starts next August. Last year I signed right after the second ASW for August.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sandwiches5000 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Thanks! Haha. The meter business sounds just like my UG, so I'll feel right at home. 8)

I'm looking into sublets now... (Latest) best time to start finding a permanent place for the fall?

Also, can anyone vouch for the benefits of the summer start? It's getting hard to adjust my mind to beginning school and making all of these decisions so quickly... But at the same time I kind of just want to start already and my job ends in March so it's kind of perfect.


Summer sublets should be super easy to find, if I were you I'd start looking at places for the fall first. With the LC and South Quad closed for renovations this year it will for sure be a tough market if you want to be within walking distance to law quad.


Oh, wow. Where can I start looking for sublets and permanent places? I can't sign a lease until second ASW as I'll be out of the country until then.

User avatar
woodson21
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby woodson21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:53 pm

To any of you that purchased football tickets for 1L, where were your seats located in terms of section and row number? Also, for any of you that went to Michigan for undergrad: did your prior credit hours help you get better seats? (i know they used to do this for Michigan undergrads going to Michigan grad schools, but i can't find anything addressing this)

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:05 pm

woodson21 wrote:To any of you that purchased football tickets for 1L, where were your seats located in terms of section and row number? Also, for any of you that went to Michigan for undergrad: did your prior credit hours help you get better seats? (i know they used to do this for Michigan undergrads going to Michigan grad schools, but i can't find anything addressing this)


1L was like Section 31, row 4. They create a special seating group for 1Ls that get priority seating. As such, your prior credit doesn't come into play. They could come into play 2/3L...although this year Dean Baum worked a scam and got the 3L seating group bumped up as well.

It doesn't matter all that much though, they don't enforce row/seat...just section.

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 46nyc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Can any current students elaborate on how easy it is to stay within the budget set for financial aid? Especially if you're signing a one year lease at your apartment. I guess I'm worried because I'd really like to have a one bedroom to myself, at least for the first year, and I feel like all of the apartment complexes start one bedrooms at $950/month not including utilities, but the total budget for rent/utilities/food is $11750, which if you have to spread that over a 12 month lease is $979/month. Then where does money for utilities/food come from? Any explanation would be really helpful. Thanks!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 pm

46nyc wrote:Can any current students elaborate on how easy it is to stay within the budget set for financial aid? Especially if you're signing a one year lease at your apartment. I guess I'm worried because I'd really like to have a one bedroom to myself, at least for the first year, and I feel like all of the apartment complexes start one bedrooms at $950/month not including utilities, but the total budget for rent/utilities/food is $11750, which if you have to spread that over a 12 month lease is $979/month. Then where does money for utilities/food come from? Any explanation would be really helpful. Thanks!


Staying within the budget is probably impossible without a roommate. I believe the appropriate saying is, "You can live like a law student now, or you can live like one later while paying off your loans."

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 46nyc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:54 pm

blowhard wrote:
46nyc wrote:Can any current students elaborate on how easy it is to stay within the budget set for financial aid? Especially if you're signing a one year lease at your apartment. I guess I'm worried because I'd really like to have a one bedroom to myself, at least for the first year, and I feel like all of the apartment complexes start one bedrooms at $950/month not including utilities, but the total budget for rent/utilities/food is $11750, which if you have to spread that over a 12 month lease is $979/month. Then where does money for utilities/food come from? Any explanation would be really helpful. Thanks!


Staying within the budget is probably impossible without a roommate. I believe the appropriate saying is, "You can live like a law student now, or you can live like one later while paying off your loans."


Right. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a spoiled kid. I don't need anything nice but I am just really getting sick of roommates, honestly. I was hoping for my own apartment but maybe that won't be happening...

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby buckilaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:58 pm

46nyc wrote:
blowhard wrote:
46nyc wrote:Can any current students elaborate on how easy it is to stay within the budget set for financial aid? Especially if you're signing a one year lease at your apartment. I guess I'm worried because I'd really like to have a one bedroom to myself, at least for the first year, and I feel like all of the apartment complexes start one bedrooms at $950/month not including utilities, but the total budget for rent/utilities/food is $11750, which if you have to spread that over a 12 month lease is $979/month. Then where does money for utilities/food come from? Any explanation would be really helpful. Thanks!


Staying within the budget is probably impossible without a roommate. I believe the appropriate saying is, "You can live like a law student now, or you can live like one later while paying off your loans."


Right. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a spoiled kid. I don't need anything nice but I am just really getting sick of roommates, honestly. I was hoping for my own apartment but maybe that won't be happening...


I've wasted a lot of money on booze this semester and I'm fine - I have a 1 BR. It's possible.

46nyc
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 46nyc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:05 pm

buckilaw wrote:
I've wasted a lot of money on booze this semester and I'm fine - I have a 1 BR. It's possible.


Thanks for responding! Do you mind me asking how much your rent is per month?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Amelie wrote:Can someone who lives/has lived in the Lawyer's Club speak to their experience? Is it worth it to live there for the the social atmosphere and convenience? I think if I attend that's where I'll probably live, but the idea of using shared bathrooms grosses me out a bit :shock:


Well they are closing the LC (I think to do things like put bathrooms in the LC rooms) for next year and instead are reserving apartments off campus entirely for law students. The LC is actually really nice IMO but these apartments will at least have their own bathroom. I know a couple of the places are super close.

I posted this in the admitted thread but you should consider the Phid House: http://www.phidhouse.org/ It is super cheap and it is a fun place to live. You have to apply to get in but the app is worth it. If we do a youtube video again, that will be the most important thing if you want to get my vote.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby ahnhub » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 pm

To any of you that purchased football tickets for 1L, where were your seats located in terms of section and row number? Also, for any of you that went to Michigan for undergrad: did your prior credit hours help you get better seats? (i know they used to do this for Michigan undergrads going to Michigan grad schools, but i can't find anything addressing this)


My cousin was an undergrad who went to the law school, and yes, you are given credit for your undergrad years.

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Joan Hollaway » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:19 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Thanks! Haha. The meter business sounds just like my UG, so I'll feel right at home. 8)

I'm looking into sublets now... (Latest) best time to start finding a permanent place for the fall?

Also, can anyone vouch for the benefits of the summer start? It's getting hard to adjust my mind to beginning school and making all of these decisions so quickly... But at the same time I kind of just want to start already and my job ends in March so it's kind of perfect.


Summer sublets should be super easy to find, if I were you I'd start looking at places for the fall first. With the LC and South Quad closed for renovations this year it will for sure be a tough market if you want to be within walking distance to law quad.


Oh, wow. Where can I start looking for sublets and permanent places? I can't sign a lease until second ASW as I'll be out of the country until then.


At some point during next semester the law school gets together a list of current students who want to sublet over the summer and gives it to the summer starters so they can get in touch, or there is a database, I'm not 100% sure how it works because I lived in the dorms last year so I didn't need to worry about subletting an apartment. PMing you about leases for the fall.

User avatar
Cravin
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Cravin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 am

Hi,

Is possible/advisable to bike in AA once winter sets in? I'm looking at a house that is a little too far to walk and not particularly close to a bus line either. Just wondering if its going to be a major hassle getting to classes once it starts getting cold, or if living outside of walk range is a good way to save some money on a bigger place.

Related question - does any live by West Park or have knowledge of the neighborhood?

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:27 am

Cravin wrote:Hi,

Is possible/advisable to bike in AA once winter sets in? I'm looking at a house that is a little too far to walk and not particularly close to a bus line either. Just wondering if its going to be a major hassle getting to classes once it starts getting cold, or if living outside of walk range is a good way to save some money on a bigger place.

Related question - does any live by West Park or have knowledge of the neighborhood?

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread.


Some people bike all winter but there are definitely a few days where it could be touchy due to ice/snow.

User avatar
Lady in Red
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Lady in Red » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm

This is so random, but how does the water in Ann Arbor taste? According to this thread, http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/uni ... o-bad.html, it's bad.

That would disappoint me, because I live in Chandler, Arizona, and the water here is gross. The tap in my apartment pours out a milky white cloud that separates as it stands. I've been looking forward to drinking Michigan water straight out of the tap...

Clearly, I am running out of things to think about as I count down the days until May. :)

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:29 pm

It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 pm

sanguar wrote:It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.


That certainly isn't true where I am. I think the water here is DELICIOUS. But, that's just me.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
sanguar wrote:It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.


That certainly isn't true where I am. I think the water here is DELICIOUS. But, that's just me.


The water doesn't bother me, but I'm not picky about water.

User avatar
Lady in Red
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Lady in Red » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 pm

sanguar wrote:It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.


Is that something I could buy at Home Depot?

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 am

Lady in Red wrote:
sanguar wrote:It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.


Is that something I could buy at Home Depot?

Or Walmart. I've found that if I don't get the clothes right into the dryer they stink a bit, too. Straw, I can tell more when the water is in a nalgene bottle with the lid closed for a bit. If I gulp it down immediately it isn't bad.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:18 am

Lady in Red wrote:
sanguar wrote:It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.


Is that something I could buy at Home Depot?


I read tap filter as being like a pur filter that attaches to your faucet. I'm sure Sanguar will correct me if I'm wrong.

But this kind of thing:

http://www.amazon.com/PUR-3-Stage-Horiz ... 615&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Chrome-Fauc ... 15&sr=8-14

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:19 am

sanguar wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:
sanguar wrote:It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.


Is that something I could buy at Home Depot?

Or Walmart. I've found that if I don't get the clothes right into the dryer they stink a bit, too. Straw, I can tell more when the water is in a nalgene bottle with the lid closed for a bit. If I gulp it down immediately it isn't bad.


It could also have something to do with where in town we live. Different pipes or water sources?

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:20 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
sanguar wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:
sanguar wrote:It tastes like sulfur. We got a tap filter thing and that fixes it.


Is that something I could buy at Home Depot?

Or Walmart. I've found that if I don't get the clothes right into the dryer they stink a bit, too. Straw, I can tell more when the water is in a nalgene bottle with the lid closed for a bit. If I gulp it down immediately it isn't bad.


It could also have something to do with where in town we live. Different pipes or water sources?

Could be. We're in the "low rent" section :lol:

And yeah, just a Pur filter. Makes coffee taste better, too.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:23 am

sanguar wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:It could also have something to do with where in town we live. Different pipes or water sources?

Could be. We're in the "low rent" section :lol:

And yeah, just a Pur filter. Makes coffee taste better, too.


I'm renting a room in a house in the Burns Park neighborhood. Could be that I'm in the rich part of town. I apparently live within a few blocks of most of my professors.

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby sanguar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:26 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
sanguar wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:It could also have something to do with where in town we live. Different pipes or water sources?

Could be. We're in the "low rent" section :lol:

And yeah, just a Pur filter. Makes coffee taste better, too.


I'm renting a room in a house in the Burns Park neighborhood. Could be that I'm in the rich part of town. I apparently live within a few blocks of most of my professors.

Lol... My dream neighborhood. We looked at one house there just above our price range. Tiny, major structural problems and knob and tube wiring.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobcat26, CenterFringe, LarryFlint and 5 guests