Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
No13baby

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby No13baby » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Michigan is the only school I'm considering that's in a "college town" (all the others are in medium to large cities where there's plenty going on besides the college.) My question: does the huge undergrad population in Ann Arbor ever get frustrating? Are there things to do/places to go that aren't overrun with drunk 19-year-olds all the time, and are there events that don't cater specifically to the college population, or is it sort of a given that the town runs on college students?

(note: I have no particular dislike for undergrads, but did my undergrad in a town that was very much focused around a university and would like a bit of a different environment this time around.)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:49 pm

No13baby wrote:Michigan is the only school I'm considering that's in a "college town" (all the others are in medium to large cities where there's plenty going on besides the college.) My question: does the huge undergrad population in Ann Arbor ever get frustrating? Are there things to do/places to go that aren't overrun with drunk 19-year-olds all the time, and are there events that don't cater specifically to the college population, or is it sort of a given that the town runs on college students?

(note: I have no particular dislike for undergrads, but did my undergrad in a town that was very much focused around a university and would like a bit of a different environment this time around.)

So far, I've gotten the impression that Main Street skews older/non-college-y. Also, living away from campus is nice in this respect because you don't really deal with undergrads at all. But overall I've gotten the sense that everything still runs on the college population and by trying to avoid that culture, you can basically exclude yourself too (case in point: while I like living away from campus, it can be tough when people decide to go out to South U at the last minute and you're stuck in your apartment -- though when you're a 1L, that's probably not a bad thing....)

MiAiLi

Postby MiAiLi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Can anyone comment on the JD/MA Chinese Studies program at Michigan? This program has rocketed Michigan to my first choice, and I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it. Thank you!!

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 pm

keg411 wrote:
No13baby wrote:Michigan is the only school I'm considering that's in a "college town" (all the others are in medium to large cities where there's plenty going on besides the college.) My question: does the huge undergrad population in Ann Arbor ever get frustrating? Are there things to do/places to go that aren't overrun with drunk 19-year-olds all the time, and are there events that don't cater specifically to the college population, or is it sort of a given that the town runs on college students?

So far, I've gotten the impression that Main Street skews older/non-college-y. Also, living away from campus is nice in this respect because you don't really deal with undergrads at all. But overall I've gotten the sense that everything still runs on the college population and by trying to avoid that culture, you can basically exclude yourself too (case in point: while I like living away from campus, it can be tough when people decide to go out to South U at the last minute and you're stuck in your apartment -- though when you're a 1L, that's probably not a bad thing....)

+1 for truthiness.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:54 am

TheOcho wrote:Anyone willing to give me a tour of the law school when I visit in early November?

I'm a tour guide for the law school! You can set up a tour (which is usually just you + two students) with the admissions office, or, if you can't schedule something conveniently, PM me.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Entchen wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Anyone willing to give me a tour of the law school when I visit in early November?

I'm a tour guide for the law school! You can set up a tour (which is usually just you + two students) with the admissions office, or, if you can't schedule something conveniently, PM me.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

UML

Postby UML » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:03 pm

I haven't heard anyone complain about undergrads; aside from them swarming the reading room. Law students have a bar, Ricks, which undergrads avoid...so there's that.

Consider, though, that wherever you choose you won't be doing a lot of stuff during 1L. Even if you go somewhere with "plenty going on," you'll be in the library during most of it. Where your law school is located matter very little, in my opinion.
Last edited by UML on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:27 pm

UML wrote:

I haven't heard anyone complain about undergrads; aside from them swarming the reading room. Law students have a bar, Ricks, which undergrads avoid...so there's that.

Consider, though, that wherever you choose you won't be doing a lot of stuff during 1L. Even if you go somewhere with "plenty going on," you'll be in the library during most of it. Where you law school is located matter very little, in my opinion.

Huh? Undergrads avoid Ricks? What are you smoking. Did you mean Dominicks?

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 am

MiAiLi wrote:Can anyone comment on the JD/MA Chinese Studies program at Michigan? This program has rocketed Michigan to my first choice, and I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it. Thank you!!

+1. Definitely interested in this too. Any info?

UML

Postby UML » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:49 am

blowhard wrote:
UML wrote:

Consider, though, that wherever you choose you won't be doing a lot of stuff during 1L. Even if you go somewhere with "plenty going on," you'll be in the library during most of it. Where you law school is located matter very little, in my opinion.

Yup...lol...closed memo frying my brain

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm

UML wrote:
blowhard wrote:
UML wrote:

Yup...lol...closed memo frying my brain

I was hoping this was just an attempt to troll someone into going to Ricks during preview weekend.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:43 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
I was hoping this was just an attempt to troll someone into going to Ricks during preview weekend.

<3 Ricks <3

MyManKanye

Postby MyManKanye » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Looking for a place to live next fall. Don't think LC is for me (sounds like it'll be closed anyway). Looking for some general tips on where to look. Which areas are quieter (North of campus, south, east, west, etc.) and are there any units that have in unit laundry? Is there one big resource that lists all the landlords or at least a couple of good landlords to start with?

Thanks, I was just getting the housing market down at my UG and now I have to start all over again.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm

MyManKanye wrote:Looking for a place to live next fall. Don't think LC is for me (sounds like it'll be closed anyway). Looking for some general tips on where to look. Which areas are quieter (North of campus, south, east, west, etc.) and are there any units that have in unit laundry? Is there one big resource that lists all the landlords or at least a couple of good landlords to start with?

Thanks, I was just getting the housing market down at my UG and now I have to start all over again.

Most people live south of campus. Woodbury, Lake Village, and Harbor House are all popular. There are a bunch of recommendations in this thread. Other than that, no really good mass resources. The houses just South of the law school by the ice arena are pretty under-graddy...I'd avoid them.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Yeah, the apartments south of campus are all pretty quiet -- you can also find some of the condos in the same area on Craigslist, so you're not limited to just those places listed above (that's where I got my place and have a W/D in-unit). The only big negative is it's always kind of a trek to get to campus and it can be hard to plan to go out if a lot of your friends live closer to the law quad (then again, with the LC being closed next year, it might be different).

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:13 pm

MyManKanye wrote:Looking for a place to live next fall. Don't think LC is for me (sounds like it'll be closed anyway). Looking for some general tips on where to look. Which areas are quieter (North of campus, south, east, west, etc.) and are there any units that have in unit laundry? Is there one big resource that lists all the landlords or at least a couple of good landlords to start with?

I'd suggest Kerrytown. Quiet but still walking distance from the law quad.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:14 am

Joan Hollaway wrote:

I'd suggest Kerrytown. Quiet but still walking distance from the law quad.

I forgot about Kerrytown. I'd live there...although it's way more expensive and I couldn't find anywhere that allowed dogs. If those are considerations...look South.

MyManKanye

Postby MyManKanye » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm

How is the parking setup around campus? At my UG there was meter parking on the street and permit parking lots. Neither of these were enforced after ~7PM. Is this similar at Michigan? Would I be able to drive to campus at night without paying?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 pm

MyManKanye wrote:How is the parking setup around campus? At my UG there was meter parking on the street and permit parking lots. Neither of these were enforced after ~7PM. Is this similar at Michigan? Would I be able to drive to campus at night without paying?

Meters on streets usually with a 2-hour time limit (heavily enforced). Not enforced after 6pm or Sundays. Garages downtown for around $1.50/hour, most of them are free on Sundays but are enforced all night long. There are permit lots but the closest lot for students (yellow) is by the stadium and you have to bus in. There are several free park-and-rides for the city buses (we ride free) so you're stupid to pay the $500 for the permit. You cannot park overnight in either permit or park-and-ride lots. Parking is a bitch anywhere downtown. If you plan on living downtown, plan on paying ~$100 a month to rent a spot. (Unless you're lucky enough to find a building with a free spot.)

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:02 pm

So I just found a really cheap studio apartment on the North side (kind of in the area by N. Ingalls and E. Ann). I still haven't seen pictures yet, so I'm not sure if there's a catch to the cheap rent or not. But as far as the area itself goes, does anyone have any input? Is it recommended for law students? It seems like the most popular areas are south of campus...I don't want to run the risk of being too sequestered from my classmates. FWIW, I'm a pretty low-maintenance person, I'm capable of living like a hobo if need be :).

Thank you!

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:38 am

Got into Michigan for summer start 2012, and although it's still early in the cycle, I'm really excited about the school and there's a pretty high chance I'll end up there next year. I've been absorbing all the info I can, and I have a few questions for any willing students.

1) I read this entire thread and basically the LC sounded like a great fit for me, but unfortunately now it is going to be closed. The website tells us to "stay tuned for exciting information about four law student only apartment complexes." Has anyone heard/seen anything relating to these?

2) I was also wondering whether there is any intermingling between the law school and the other graduate programs at Michigan? I have a few friends already at the med school and I know others starting next year and I was curious. Is it mostly on individuals to reach out to people they know, or are there mixers/common facilities/etc?

3) Are there any benefits to visiting the campus outside of ASW? I have a few opportunities to possibly get to A2 before those weekends and was weighing whether it would be wortwhile. Since I'm a summer start candidate, going earlier in the spring kind of makes sense, but would I get much out of visiting on a random day?

4) For summer starters... how long before school started did you arrive in Ann Arbor? Assume I won't have much stuff or a wife or a pet. Would a week be enough?

Thanks so much for the info; I'd love to buy you all a drink (or one of those epic looking blimpy burgers... I watched MvF Ann Arbor yesterday and got rather excited) when I visit campus!

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:52 am

Ernert wrote:Got into Michigan for summer start 2012, and although it's still early in the cycle, I'm really excited about the school and there's a pretty high chance I'll end up there next year. I've been absorbing all the info I can, and I have a few questions for any willing students.

1) I read this entire thread and basically the LC sounded like a great fit for me, but unfortunately now it is going to be closed. The website tells us to "stay tuned for exciting information about four law student only apartment complexes." Has anyone heard/seen anything relating to these?

2) I was also wondering whether there is any intermingling between the law school and the other graduate programs at Michigan? I have a few friends already at the med school and I know others starting next year and I was curious. Is it mostly on individuals to reach out to people they know, or are there mixers/common facilities/etc?

3) Are there any benefits to visiting the campus outside of ASW? I have a few opportunities to possibly get to A2 before those weekends and was weighing whether it would be wortwhile. Since I'm a summer start candidate, going earlier in the spring kind of makes sense, but would I get much out of visiting on a random day?

4) For summer starters... how long before school started did you arrive in Ann Arbor? Assume I won't have much stuff or a wife or a pet. Would a week be enough?

Thanks so much for the info; I'd love to buy you all a drink (or one of those epic looking blimpy burgers... I watched MvF Ann Arbor yesterday and got rather excited) when I visit campus!

1) I haven't heard anything about the replacement LC.

2) There are some mixers, I believe there was one tonight for environmentally minded grad students across the university (business, public policy, urban planning, etc.)

3) I never got to go to the admitted students weekend, but I wish I had. Sounded great. You can learn a lot about the school visiting outside of ASW, particularly if you approach current students to ask about their lives. At the same time, I would only counsel one visit unless you live very near by.

4) I'm not a summer starter, but I arrived in Ann Arbor like 2 days before fall orientation activities without a problem. A lot of people arrived more like a week or two early to get a feel for town.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:00 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Ernert wrote:Got into Michigan for summer start 2012, and although it's still early in the cycle, I'm really excited about the school and there's a pretty high chance I'll end up there next year. I've been absorbing all the info I can, and I have a few questions for any willing students.

1) I haven't heard anything about the replacement LC.

2) There are some mixers, I believe there was one tonight for environmentally minded grad students across the university (business, public policy, urban planning, etc.)

3) I never got to go to the admitted students weekend, but I wish I had. Sounded great. You can learn a lot about the school visiting outside of ASW, particularly if you approach current students to ask about their lives. At the same time, I would only counsel one visit unless you live very near by.

4) I'm not a summer starter, but I arrived in Ann Arbor like 2 days before fall orientation activities without a problem. A lot of people arrived more like a week or two early to get a feel for town.

1 and 2 are credited.

3) You will not get as much out of a random visit to Ann Arbor as you will going to ASW. I visited 2-3 weeks prior to ASW and it was fun because I checked out the town a bit but it wasn't nearly as informative / awesome as ASW. Come up before ASW if ya want, if you want to do something else it's not going to be a huge loss.

4) I moved in to my apt about 2 weeks before school started - I summer started - and I was bored out of my mind (Ann Arbor is very nice in the summer but I didn't know anyone and I just wanted school to start). A week is sufficient unless you have a large amount of stuff to move.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 pm

I can actually answer the question about the "replacement LC" since I've been looking for apartments close to campus as a 3L and happened to stumble upon a few places that are already "reserved for the incoming 1L class". Here's a link to one of them, and you can probably find the others from here since most seem to be by the same management co:

http://www.primesh.com/forum.htm

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Didn't see the answer to this anywhere:

So, if i'm not mistaken, summer starters' 1L requirements are spread over three semesters, with the final one in the Spring (if i'm wrong please correct me). So, what does this mean for EIW? Do employers look JUST at your 1L required courses, or do they look at your overall GPA for the first three semesters? If its the latter, then that seems to be a disadvantage to summer starters, no? Because they have to keep up their GPA for an extra semester before EIW?

In a nutshell, how do employers coming to EIW view summer start GPAs?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”