Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:05 pm

MissLucky wrote:
blowhard wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
MissLucky wrote:Hey - any recommendations on a moving company? I am just moving into the LC and have a mini fridge, microwave, few heavy suitcases that my parents and I would need help with - Betty Brigade is what Diane Nafranowicz of LC told me about, but they are pretty steep in pricing. Any other recs? Thanks a lot!
You should post this in the facebook group. If that's all you have to move, you can probably find someone to help you for free/some pizza and beer.
Seriously, don't hire movers. The LC has carts I believe.
yeah, the thing is I'm on the 3rd floor so carts wouldn't really be of help...
I guess you could hire two guys and a truck but last year there were a ton of people milling about who would probably help. How much crap are you moving?

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Where is the front desk in LC?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48 pm

what is the lighting like in a single in the LC? are there overhead lights? how many floor lamps are necessary? will 1 do or would I need more than 1? thanks a lot!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:02 pm

starchinkilt wrote:Where is the front desk in LC?
Northwest corner of the law quad.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:03 pm

MissLucky wrote:what is the lighting like in a single in the LC? are there overhead lights? how many floor lamps are necessary? will 1 do or would I need more than 1? thanks a lot!
Lamps are not necessary. There are bright florescent overhead lights (much to some people's dismay, although it didn't bother me).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Bronte wrote:
MissLucky wrote:what is the lighting like in a single in the LC? are there overhead lights? how many floor lamps are necessary? will 1 do or would I need more than 1? thanks a lot!
Lamps are not necessary. There are bright florescent overhead lights (much to some people's dismay, although it didn't bother me).
ah, very nice - thanks a lot.
ps - they don't have desk lamps, do they?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:32 pm

supplements (like E&Es, outlines, hornbooks) are not sold in the bookstore, are they? is my only option to just order them online? (I know it'll be cheaper online too of course)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:33 pm

MissLucky wrote:supplements (like E&Es, outlines, hornbooks) are not sold in the bookstore, are they? is my only option to just order them online? (I know it'll be cheaper online too of course)
They are sold in the bookstore in the Union and on lawopen (our listserv). You'll get a much better deal on lawopen. New, or nearly new, supps trade like crazy all year long.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:36 pm

blowhard wrote:
MissLucky wrote:supplements (like E&Es, outlines, hornbooks) are not sold in the bookstore, are they? is my only option to just order them online? (I know it'll be cheaper online too of course)
They are sold in the bookstore in the Union and on lawopen (our listserv). You'll get a much better deal on lawopen. New, or nearly new, supps trade like crazy all year long.
thanks! forgive my ignorance but how can i access lawopen? i can't seem to find it on my wolverine access...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 pm

It's better to wait on them for a while anyway. I waited until about a month in. I think some of the stores sell some supplements, but I would just get them online.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Bronte wrote:
It's better to wait on them for a while anyway. I waited until about a month in. I think some of the stores sell some supplements, but I would just get them online.
why do you say wait on them - to figure out what people recommend getting/get a feel for the prof, etc.? is there some streamlined process at umich that takes you through supplements and explains how to get which ones, or is all the advice you can find just on TLS and by word of mouth?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 pm

MissLucky wrote:
blowhard wrote:
thanks! forgive my ignorance but how can i access lawopen? i can't seem to find it on my wolverine access...
You'll be added sometime during orientation and will get flooded with emails to your umich. You'll know when you're on it.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 am

blowhard wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
blowhard wrote:
You'll be added sometime during orientation and will get flooded with emails to your umich. You'll know when you're on it.
Thanks! For those of you who lived in lawyers club how does laundry work? coins? card? if a special card, how do you fill it up (through cash only or is credit card okay as well)? thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Those of you who had Ed Cooper for Civ Pro - what supplements/outlines/e&es, etc would you recommend?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:22 pm

MissLucky wrote:Those of you who had Ed Cooper for Civ Pro - what supplements/outlines/e&es, etc would you recommend?
You'll have FYI people assigned, in orientation, that had your profs and will answer these kinds of questions.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:24 pm

blowhard wrote:
MissLucky wrote:Those of you who had Ed Cooper for Civ Pro - what supplements/outlines/e&es, etc would you recommend?
You'll have FYI people assigned, in orientation, that had your profs and will answer these kinds of questions.
oh, very nice. thank you

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 pm

The Miller hornbook is a godsend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whizbang

New

Post by whizbang » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:40 am

I can't buy my books until loans are disbursed on the first day of class. Any advice on how to deal with this? :(

whizbang

New

Post by whizbang » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 am

Also, does Clark allow laptops in his torts class?

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:38 am

whizbang wrote:Also, does Clark allow laptops in his torts class?
Yes he does.
whizbang wrote:I can't buy my books until loans are disbursed on the first day of class. Any advice on how to deal with this? :(
Credit card? Or there are copies in the library of most textbooks or the APALSA office (in the legal research building) that you can check out. Or alternatively, just scan to pdf the relevant pages from a nice classmate who has already bought his/her books.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:57 pm

I would love a chance to bend the ear of a summer starter or two, preferably a 2 or 3L, although there's tons of stuff I'd have for a 1L. I know most of you are busy with OCI or getting back from summer break, but please PM me if you wouldn't mind answering some of my questions.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled 1L freakouts :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cravin

New

Post by Cravin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi, have a couple questions for any current students: Is a football weekend better/worse for visiting than an away game weekend? Looking at the SDSU game on the 24th if it matters. And are there any decent hotels to stay at near the campus aren't crazy expensive?

Thanks for the help and sorry if I missed this in an earlier post.

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 am

Cravin wrote:Hi, have a couple questions for any current students: Is a football weekend better/worse for visiting than an away game weekend? Looking at the SDSU game on the 24th if it matters. And are there any decent hotels to stay at near the campus aren't crazy expensive?

Thanks for the help and sorry if I missed this in an earlier post.

Do not come on a home football weekend. Hotels charge a ton (and sometimes require a 2-night minimum stay, if you can even find a room at this late date), restaurants are packed and traffic is awful. The population of AA doubles during a home game.

There are a couple of clusters of hotels around town. My family has stayed in the Hampton Inn near the mall on State St. and liked it. I think it was 89 a night on a regular weekend with an AARP discount.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Any good dry cleaners near campus?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:16 pm

starchinkilt wrote:Any good dry cleaners near campus?
Gold Bond Cleaners.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”