Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Sarastro
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Sarastro » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:07 pm

Li'l Sebastian wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Agreed. If you live at the LC, a car is actually VERY annoying to have (I have to pay for parking that's almost a mile away.)


How much does that cost? I visited recently and street parking absolutely doesn't seem like an option near campus.

Tbone17
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Tbone17 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Has anyone, or someone they knew, in this forum received Need-Based Aid from Michigan?

User avatar
Li'l Sebastian
Posts: 1861
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Sarastro wrote:
Li'l Sebastian wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Agreed. If you live at the LC, a car is actually VERY annoying to have (I have to pay for parking that's almost a mile away.)


How much does that cost? I visited recently and street parking absolutely doesn't seem like an option near campus.


200yr for the Storage Lot.

There is no free option at all. You have to either buy a private spot, or else park in the storage lot. The lots near campus require you to move your car everyday. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PARK OVERNIGHT.

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 875
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:40 pm

is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?

User avatar
S.Picquery
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:45 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?


+1 I would really like to know the answer to this question. Also, where else did you get in/was it also with no $$?

User avatar
GFox345
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:53 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby GFox345 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan? what made you decide that it was worth it? how do you feel about that decision now ?


I personally am not paying sticker, but I know some people who are. The LRAP program here is solid, but objectively speaking, it is not worth it to attend really ANY law school for sticker price. To Michigan's credit, it has one of the cheapest CoAs in the entire T14, and there are lots of employment opportunities through the law school and University in general that make it feasible to cover your Room & Board out of pocket. It's doable, but even if you're very disciplined you're going to end up graduating with roughly 200k in debt. That's quite a steep hill to climb.

User avatar
guybourdin
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby guybourdin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan?

Just under half the class (47.6%) is receiving $10,000 (basically sticker) or less (including sticker). I have the same question as you, though: how many of them are actually debt financing their education?

16to19
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 16to19 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:12 pm

I'd say part of the Michigan thing is people don't really talk much about what their aid package looks like (do people elsewhere?). You kind of get a sense of which friends are getting loans around dispersal time but no one really talks about it.

To your question: my sense is a decent number, but no clue what that looks like. This is the perfect sort of question for the admissions folks.

guybourdin wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:is anyone paying sticker price to attend Michigan?

Just under half the class (47.6%) is receiving $10,000 (basically sticker) or less (including sticker). I have the same question as you, though: how many of them are actually debt financing their education?

User avatar
TheodoreKGB
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby TheodoreKGB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 am

Tbone17 wrote:Has anyone, or someone they knew, in this forum received Need-Based Aid from Michigan?

I got about 60k in need-based aid. PM for more info.

dryoasis
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby dryoasis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal

User avatar
blueapple
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby blueapple » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:20 pm

dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


Real deal. I didn't do it but know a lot of people who did during 2L and 3L

dryoasis
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby dryoasis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm

blueapple wrote:
dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


Real deal. I didn't do it but know a lot of people who did during 2L and 3L


Sweet!

nyu2019maybeplease
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am

Totally doable. I have a friend doing it as a 3L now.

dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal

User avatar
Sarastro
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Sarastro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Dumb question, but how does GSI reduced tuition work with scholarships? For example, if you end up with a GSI position that offers 100% tuition, does that just essentially negate any scholarships, or do you get the surplus as cash monies?

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby deuceindc » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Sarastro wrote:Dumb question, but how does GSI reduced tuition work with scholarships? For example, if you end up with a GSI position that offers 100% tuition, does that just essentially negate any scholarships, or do you get the surplus as cash monies?


Not a dumb question. The school pays you the value of your scholarship, up to $25k/yr (or at least that was the limit last year).

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby deuceindc » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm

dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


This is real, but the placements can be competitive. I have friends who've done it since 1L, they're busy af but have lots of cash.

User avatar
strawberrieee
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:27 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby strawberrieee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 pm

dryoasis wrote:Can any current Michigan students or alums talk about being a GSI during law school? I've heard anecdotes that there are opportunities to be a GSI for an undergraduate course in exchange for reduced tuition. Let me know if this is a fantasy or the real deal


One guy in my section is currently doing it as an 1L. He doesn't seem to be very busy as the previous post said though.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 am

Anyone ITT successfully negotiate their Michigan scholly up from nothing to something slightly acceptable? If so, please PM me!

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Any classes/professors you all recommend sitting in on?

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby deuceindc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Any classes/professors you all recommend sitting in on?


Highlight reel of current course offerings:

R. Primus - Con Law
E. Primus - Crim Pro
Pottow - Bankruptcy
Crane - Antitrust
Herzog - First Amendment
Litman - Copyright

All of those profs are leaders in those fields. But if you only attend one, I'd recommend R. Primus: he's brilliant, he uses the Socratic method well, and it's a 1L course.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm

deuceindc wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Can't make ASW so I'm planning an individual visit.

Any classes/professors you all recommend sitting in on?


Highlight reel of current course offerings:

R. Primus - Con Law
E. Primus - Crim Pro
Pottow - Bankruptcy
Crane - Antitrust
Herzog - First Amendment
Litman - Copyright

All of those profs are leaders in those fields. But if you only attend one, I'd recommend R. Primus: he's brilliant, he uses the Socratic method well, and it's a 1L course.



Perfect, thanks!

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm

As I mentioned, I'm visiting Michigan individually and have scheduled to meet with someone in the fin aid office (the dean, actually). I plan on meeting with them to discuss cost concerns (I didn't get any money from them)/put a face/voice to my name for when I try to convince them I'm worth the money. Should I bring any scholarship offers I have so far just in case she asks me what other offers I'm considering?

nyu2019maybeplease
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

yes.
brinicolec wrote:As I mentioned, I'm visiting Michigan individually and have scheduled to meet with someone in the fin aid office (the dean, actually). I plan on meeting with them to discuss cost concerns (I didn't get any money from them)/put a face/voice to my name for when I try to convince them I'm worth the money. Should I bring any scholarship offers I have so far just in case she asks me what other offers I'm considering?

User avatar
ChervonaKatya
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby ChervonaKatya » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:Perfect, thanks!


Had Pottow last semester and have R. Primus now. Agree with prioritizing R.Pri. His class is exciting and like riding a roller coaster if you're someone who might be called on and he's an excellent professor all around. I would maybe add Sherman Clark's evidence class as an option. I haven't been in his class, but he ran a mock class for us at ASW and was fantastic and he is a Michigan institution. Also, he's extremely kind and approachable (I ended up talking to him for two hours at an incoming students reception in NYC).

bestwishes
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby bestwishes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm

I read that Michigan has made their hard curve easier in recent years. Can anyone share what the grading curve is now?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airwrecka, CALaw717, freekick, thelincolnlawyer and 10 guests