Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
half moon

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby half moon » Fri May 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Not sure who might know about this, but does anyone know have an idea how many people are still trying to get housing in the Lawyers Club over the summer?

I received my contract for the LC yesterday, and have to return it in 10 days to keep my spot. Assuming I end up at Michigan, I want to live in campus housing. But I'm also on a couple waitlists. My dilemma is that I don't want to give up on the schools I'm waitlisted at this early, but I'm not super into the idea of paying 65% of the LC lease if I back out and they can't find anyone to take the spot. Would I be better off giving up on the LC now and just planning to live off campus at Michigan?

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Li'l Sebastian wrote:Everybody Apply for the MAP program btw!

Do you have any tips on applying for MAP? Not really sure how long to make my responses on the app. The app is four prompts with boxes to fill in about reasons for applying, diverse viewpoint, diverse experiences, and growth areas. I'm tentatively thinking about five sentences per prompt.

Thanks for the heads up by the way, I'm really stoked about the program!

gsy987

Postby gsy987 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 pm

chandhi wrote:

Do you have any tips on applying for MAP? Not really sure how long to make my responses on the app. The app is four prompts with boxes to fill in about reasons for applying, diverse viewpoint, diverse experiences, and growth areas. I'm tentatively thinking about five sentences per prompt.

That's fine. I did MAP last year, and that's all I remember filling out.

People can correct me on this...but I'm not sure MAP actually rejected anyone.

strawberrieee

Postby strawberrieee » Fri May 12, 2017 10:59 pm

gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

I don't know if MAP actually rejected anyone, but most people don't apply to MAP to begin with. Summer time before law school is just too valuable. :lol:

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Sun May 14, 2017 1:57 pm

strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

I don't know if MAP actually rejected anyone, but most people don't apply to MAP to begin with. Summer time before law school is just too valuable. :lol:

Thanks so much! This is helpful and encouraging :)

at593

Postby at593 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 pm

chandhi wrote:
strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Thanks so much! This is helpful and encouraging :)

I'm looking for the MAP program application/deadline info and can't find anything so far.. do I have to email lawstudentlife@umich.edu to get it?

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Sun May 14, 2017 10:39 pm

at593 wrote:I'm looking for the MAP program application/deadline info and can't find anything so far.. do I have to email lawstudentlife@umich.edu to get it?

I got an email last week from Darren Nealy but it went to my promotions so check there! The email says if you have any questions, email Trudy Feldkamp at tfeldkam@umich.edu. Hope this helps!

at593

Postby at593 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:59 pm

chandhi wrote:
at593 wrote:I'm looking for the MAP program application/deadline info and can't find anything so far.. do I have to email lawstudentlife@umich.edu to get it?

I got an email last week from Darren Nealy but it went to my promotions so check there! The email says if you have any questions, email Trudy Feldkamp at tfeldkam@umich.edu. Hope this helps!

Ah, I found it!! These emails are all blending together now, haha. Thanks so much! :D

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Mon May 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for a BLACK hair salon (aka somewhere that does things like sew-ins, crochet braids, braids, etc) and hair store (aka somewhere to buy things like crochet braids hair, weave, kanekalon, etc) in or near AA (or in Detroit)?

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Mon May 15, 2017 1:36 pm

brinicolec wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for a BLACK hair salon (aka somewhere that does things like sew-ins, crochet braids, braids, etc) and hair store (aka somewhere to buy things like crochet braids hair, weave, kanekalon, etc) in or near AA (or in Detroit)?

If no one here has an answer (and I don't), ask via LawOpen once y'all get access. If y'all haven't heard of it, LawOpen is the all-student email group; it's really useful for getting other students' recommendations and advice.

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:33 am

strawberrieee wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
chandhi wrote:

Just wanted to say thanks for recommending MAP! Final day today and I'm so glad I did it :)

oliveum

Postby oliveum » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am

Hi all! Is Planet Rock the closest place to go indoor rock climbing/bouldering around here?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”