Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pathika

New

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by Pathika » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm

pizzaguy1 wrote:Does anyone have any input on the best supplements for civil procedure- Niehoff, contracts- J.J. White, and Torts- Herzog? The specific casebooks used are Civ Pro, 8th Ed, by Stephen C. Yeazell- civil procedure, The modern law of contracts, Author: by Bruce W. Frier, James J. White. 3rd edition- contracts, and Tort law : responsibilities and redress, Author: John C. P. Goldberg, Anthony J. Sebok, Benjamin C. Zipursky 3rd edition- torts. Thanks for the help.
The best supplements you can use are the classes you are supposed to go to. Don't worry about supplements until after classes have started AND you are having issues. Even then, office hours work great. You'll learn quickly that what matters is what your professor wants you to write on an exam, and no supplement will be able to tell you that.

lawyergirl47

New

Post by lawyergirl47 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:42 am

Has anybody taken either Children and the Law (Duquette) or Ch 11 Reorganization (Bienenstock)? I am looking to switch out of Collective Bargaining and ADR for one of the two, but know very little about the profs/classes.

Thanks!!!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

lawyergirl47 wrote:Has anybody taken either Children and the Law (Duquette) or Ch 11 Reorganization (Bienenstock)? I am looking to switch out of Collective Bargaining and ADR for one of the two, but know very little about the profs/classes.

Thanks!!!
I took Ch 11 last year. PM me if you want info, but I'd recommend it (the material can be confusing, but it's a paper class so the reading is extremely secondary).

You are also insane to switch out of ADR since it's one of the most competitive classes to get into at Michigan. I know people who used priorities and couldn't get in. It also has a very favorable curve.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am

Can anyone help with finding the books for Reimann's Trans Nat?

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 pm

How bad would it be to miss three class days the first part of November? I have a family thing and tickets are wayyy cheaper if I fly back Wednesday rather than Monday. (I'm a 0L)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Sammy841 wrote:How bad would it be to miss three class days the first part of November? I have a family thing and tickets are wayyy cheaper if I fly back Wednesday rather than Monday. (I'm a 0L)
I would not do this but I'm sure some people would. I think it's generally advisable to try not to miss a single day of class.

Pathika

New

Post by Pathika » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Sammy841 wrote:How bad would it be to miss three class days the first part of November? I have a family thing and tickets are wayyy cheaper if I fly back Wednesday rather than Monday. (I'm a 0L)
It probably isn't the best thing in the world, but there have been a few folks in the summer class that have missed 2-3 days in a row, and they were able to recover... and the summer classes are more compacted than the regular terms. So, you should be fine. The classes can be recorded and you can always ask someone to take notes for you.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 pm

clint4law wrote:Can anyone help with finding the books for Reimann's Trans Nat?
He uses a coursepack.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
He uses a coursepack.
Nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 am

Bronte wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:
He uses a coursepack.
Nice.
thanks

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:33 am

How have the job prospects been for UMICH law grads that you've come aross?

Luap

New

Post by Luap » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Pathika wrote:
It probably isn't the best thing in the world, but there have been a few folks in the summer class that have missed 2-3 days in a row, and they were able to recover... and the summer classes are more compacted than the regular terms. So, you should be fine. The classes can be recorded and you can always ask someone to take notes for you.
I remember folks doing this in undergrad. Generally speaking, can all of our classes be recorded or is it up to the individual prof? Do a lot of people record the classes?

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Are the course credits listed online? I can't seem to find # of credits corresponding to each course (not listing on course descriptions).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:55 pm

salvage wrote:Are the course credits listed online? I can't seem to find # of credits corresponding to each course (not listing on course descriptions).
If you look at "Class Schedule" on the registrar page, there is a column for "Credits" right after the name of the professor. The number of hours are also listed on the course descriptions.

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:00 pm

keg411 wrote:
salvage wrote:Are the course credits listed online? I can't seem to find # of credits corresponding to each course (not listing on course descriptions).
If you look at "Class Schedule" on the registrar page, there is a column for "Credits" right after the name of the professor. The number of hours are also listed on the course descriptions.
Thanks!

Kramer

New

Post by Kramer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Any 2Ls who still have their torts, criminal law, property books and are looking to sell - get at me!

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Haven't been subscribed to lawopen yet so I'm gonna try posting this here.

If anyone has any of the following, please PM me. Looking to get them within the week:

Gilbert's Torts Outline
Emanuel's Con Law Outline
Gilbert's Crim Law Outline

Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:33 pm

smoneill88 wrote:Haven't been subscribed to lawopen yet so I'm gonna try posting this here.

If anyone has any of the following, please PM me. Looking to get them within the week:

Gilbert's Torts Outline
Emanuel's Con Law Outline
Gilbert's Crim Law Outline

Thank you!
Not sure if all of these are on there, but Amazon is having a kindle sale today only and I know Emanuel's con law outline is on there for under ten bucks. If you don't have a kindle you can read them on your computer. I think it ends in like the next half hour so I hope you see this soon!

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:57 am

Is it true that Michigan Law hasn't recruited anyone who is directly out of a Chinese University in the past few years?

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm

How do we sign into lawopen?

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 am

As someone matriculating to Mich next year, I am wondering how OCI seems to have gone...Can any currently 2L's comment?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:37 am

jrthor10 wrote:As someone matriculating to Mich next year, I am wondering how OCI seems to have gone...Can any currently 2L's comment?

Thanks!
I would say to early to tell. A lot of variance in call backs and offers. I know some people who had 7+ callbacks from around median and some who had three callbacks from well above median. Most people I know either have an offer or several callbacks they are still waiting to hear from.

I'm not going to tell you it was great. It wasn't. But it seems to have gone pretty well.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:As someone matriculating to Mich next year, I am wondering how OCI seems to have gone...Can any currently 2L's comment?

Thanks!
I would say to early to tell. A lot of variance in call backs and offers. I know some people who had 7+ callbacks from around median and some who had three callbacks from well above median. Most people I know either have an offer or several callbacks they are still waiting to hear from.

I'm not going to tell you it was great. It wasn't. But it seems to have gone pretty well.
How would you say things went relative to the employment outcomes for the class of 2011?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:24 pm

hume85 wrote: How would you say things went relative to the employment outcomes for the class of 2011?

I can't really speak to that with any authority, but when I have talked to our OCP (aka OCS/CSO/whatever) they have suggested that outcomes have been better than either of the last two years.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:44 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
hume85 wrote: How would you say things went relative to the employment outcomes for the class of 2011?

I can't really speak to that with any authority, but when I have talked to our OCP (aka OCS/CSO/whatever) they have suggested that outcomes have been better than either of the last two years.
Thank you. I really like Michigan, and would probably get money if I attended, but the numbers from 2011 have given me pause. I guess I will just have to wait until the numbers from 2012 are published.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”