Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KungFuPanda

New

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by KungFuPanda » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Long time lurker here . . .

I was wondering how getting on to law review works at Michigan. Do some students grade on and others write on? Or is it a combination? If any current students could answer this that would be great.

Thanks

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:20 pm

KungFuPanda wrote:Long time lurker here . . .

I was wondering how getting on to law review works at Michigan. Do some students grade on and others write on? Or is it a combination? If any current students could answer this that would be great.

Thanks
It's a combination. You have to do the writing competition, but grades are factored into the selection.

Of course, if by "write on" you mean getting a note published, you can also get onto law review that way. I know a guy who did it this year, though I don't know the details. Like, he happened to be a joint degree student, so even though he is a 3L, he will be able to spend basically two full years (because he doesn't graduate for another year). I don't know if there's any sort of requirement where you HAVE to spend two full years (in which case, you'd have to publish your note 1L year or early 2L year, which would be extremely hard to do).

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Alexandria wrote:

Thanks
It's a combination. You have to do the writing competition, but grades are factored into the selection.

Of course, if by "write on" you mean getting a note published, you can also get onto law review that way. I know a guy who did it this year, though I don't know the details. Like, he happened to be a joint degree student, so even though he is a 3L, he will be able to spend basically two full years (because he doesn't graduate for another year). I don't know if there's any sort of requirement where you HAVE to spend two full years (in which case, you'd have to publish your note 1L year or early 2L year, which would be extremely hard to do).
How competitive is the selection process for the Law Review? What about the other journals?

Thanks in advance. :)

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Aeon wrote:
Alexandria wrote:

Thanks

How competitive is the selection process for the Law Review? What about the other journals?

Thanks in advance. :)
Re: law review, I would say very... but about the same as anywhere else. Secondary journals aren't too hard to get onto, if you take your applications seriously.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:33 am

This is kind of random, but I'm going to be switching from my local bank before coming to Michigan. Are there any convenient national banks/ATMs near the law school, or is there a specific bank you recommend?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am

Amelie wrote:This is kind of random, but I'm going to be switching from my local bank before coming to Michigan. Are there any convenient national banks/ATMs near the law school, or is there a specific bank you recommend?
+1 and what about phone service? Do verizon/at&t/sprint have about the same coverage? Thinking about switching from verizon for an iphone, but don't want to lose calls/static.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am

holydonkey wrote:
Amelie wrote:This is kind of random, but I'm going to be switching from my local bank before coming to Michigan. Are there any convenient national banks/ATMs near the law school, or is there a specific bank you recommend?
+1 and what about phone service? Do verizon/at&t/sprint have about the same coverage? Thinking about switching from verizon for an iphone, but don't want to lose calls/static.
Don't switch yet! I hear Verizon may get the iphone this summer :)

rolark

New

Post by rolark » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:49 am

When I was there to visit, I saw Michigan has its own credit union. I'm a fan of credit unions so I'd probably switch to that. I'd like to hear from any current students who have experience with this, though!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 am

In terms of a national bank, I'm not sure. TCF Bank is a local bank, and it's by far the most common one around campus. There's even a TCF ATM inside the law school. None of the national banks have as many locations/ATMs in AA, from what I can tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 am

There's a Bank of America on main street and I think it has an ATM on state street, but TCF does have by far the most ATMs and if you overdraft, they don't charge you anything (unlike Wells Fargo and Bank of America). (I think I overdrafted for over a month and they didn't charge me a dime.) I kept my Wells Fargo account though, despite WF not having any ATM locations outside of the Western region and mainly use Wells Fargo (I use my debit card for pretty much everything). I get my funds transferred from the school to the Wells Fargo account and then deposit a check into TCF in the rare cases when I need cash.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:12 pm

fortissimo wrote:
There's a Bank of America on main street and I think it has an ATM on state street, but TCF does have by far the most ATMs and if you overdraft, they don't charge you anything (unlike Wells Fargo and Bank of America). (I think I overdrafted for over a month and they didn't charge me a dime.) I kept my Wells Fargo account though, despite WF not having any ATM locations outside of the Western region and mainly use Wells Fargo (I use my debit card for pretty much everything). I get my funds transferred from the school to the Wells Fargo account and then deposit a check into TCF in the rare cases when I need cash.
Bank of America sucks; at least, I know very few people who've had good experiences with them. I'll be using KeyBank myself; I've had an account with them since I lived in Ohio four years ago, and have never had any problems with them. It'll be nice living somewhere with their branches again, since there's one on Main St.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:24 pm

BoA=evil reincarnated.

Speaking of banks, where's the nearest Citi branch from U of M?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:47 pm

holydonkey wrote:
I had no problem with my iphone while there for ASW. Given the number of iphones I saw running around (about 60-70% of the people), I'd say you'd be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nuseph

New

Post by nuseph » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:01 am

This is kind of random, but I'm going to be switching from my local bank before coming to Michigan. Are there any convenient national banks/ATMs near the law school, or is there a specific bank you recommend?
There's a Chase in downtown A2. For local convenience and good student packages, I'd consider the UM Credit Union.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:03 am

nuseph wrote:
There's a Chase in downtown A2. For local convenience and good student packages, I'd consider the UM Credit Union.
There's also a Chase in the Meijer on Ann Arbor-Saline, I discovered. Although it's a fair distance from campus, it makes it really nice if you want to stop there when you go grocery shopping.

TCF is also pretty convenient. The nice thing about TCF is that many of their branches are open 7 days a week, and until 7pm Mon-Sat I think...

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 am

Have read through a lot of these posts and really appreciate the great answers from Mich students and questions from TLSers. Thanks!

I haven't looked through the whole thread, so apologies if this has been asked already- any Michigan people who are planning on using loan forgiveness and want to tell us a bit about it? I can ask more specific questions if that helps. Thanks.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Seems like this thread is as good a place as any to ask this:

Has anyone been successful in setting up direct deposit for their loans? Whenever I select "Employee Business" on the Wolverine Access page I get a screen telling me I do not have access.

Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 am

bees wrote:Seems like this thread is as good a place as any to ask this:

Has anyone been successful in setting up direct deposit for their loans? Whenever I select "Employee Business" on the Wolverine Access page I get a screen telling me I do not have access.

Thanks.
You should log in as a student like you normally would. On the right side of the home page after you log in, under "Payroll and Compensation," there's a link for direct deposit.

letmein2010

New

Post by letmein2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 am

whats the best way to get to campus from the Detroit airport? im going to visit next week, and id rather not pay more than i have to...

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 am

letmein2010 wrote:whats the best way to get to campus from the Detroit airport? im going to visit next week, and id rather not pay more than i have to...
If I recall correctly from Preview Weekend, ...

Take 94W to Exit 177 (I think). Take a right onto State Street. The law school will be on your right about 2 or 3 miles up the road. You CANNOT miss it. :)

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 am

thalassocrat wrote:

Thanks.
You should log in as a student like you normally would. On the right side of the home page after you log in, under "Payroll and Compensation," there's a link for direct deposit.
Thanks. Funny that isn't the way they tell you to do it on the website, haha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:10 am

bees wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks. Funny that isn't the way they tell you to do it on the website, haha.
95% of the website directions have been wrong so far as I have seen.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:07 am

tamlyric wrote:
letmein2010 wrote:whats the best way to get to campus from the Detroit airport? im going to visit next week, and id rather not pay more than i have to...

Take 94W to Exit 177 (I think). Take a right onto State Street. The law school will be on your right about 2 or 3 miles up the road. You CANNOT miss it. :)
Be sure to leave the airport from the north entrance (Merriman Rd. I think; to 94) instead of the west entrance (Eureka Rd. to 275N, which takes you to 94). Although Eureka is much easier from the new terminal, 275 is all torn up along the airport, and since you want 94 anyway, it's best to avoid the construction if you can.

letmein2010

New

Post by letmein2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 am

starstruck393 wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

Be sure to leave the airport from the north entrance (Merriman Rd. I think; to 94) instead of the west entrance (Eureka Rd. to 275N, which takes you to 94). Although Eureka is much easier from the new terminal, 275 is all torn up along the airport, and since you want 94 anyway, it's best to avoid the construction if you can.
haha actually i meant more in terms of shuttle vs. cabs, or if there was some specific bus/service that most people used when getting to campus rather than actual directions....i appreciate the help though!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:38 am

letmein2010 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

haha actually i meant more in terms of shuttle vs. cabs, or if there was some specific bus/service that most people used when getting to campus rather than actual directions....i appreciate the help though!

Ha! I was wondering... In that case, I am utterly useless. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”