Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
keg411

Platinum

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by keg411 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:26 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:Does it really take three weeks to get our interview schedules for OCI?! I was under the impression that at most schools the turnaround between the end of bidding and schedules being put out is a matter of days.
I remember it being about 1.5 weeks last year. But really, you don't need that much time.
I'm convinced the convinced the administration doesn't actually do any of this by computer.
Also: keep checking for a bit after you get your schedule because sometimes firms add more spots. I picked up two additional interviews by doing absolutely nothing.

Kramer

New

Post by Kramer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Do people generally have the freedom to leave AA during fall break in October? Or will 1Ls already be swamped with work to catch up on during the long weekend?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Kramer wrote:Do people generally have the freedom to leave AA during fall break in October? Or will 1Ls already be swamped with work to catch up on during the long weekend?
You should be able to get away.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 am

Kramer wrote:Do people generally have the freedom to leave AA during fall break in October? Or will 1Ls already be swamped with work to catch up on during the long weekend?
I may have been a little bit of a slouch, but I was pretty chill on the weekends until about mid-November. Possibly early November. For most folks, you don't understand enough to start outlining until November.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Haha, well, Zearfoss's email makes me feel like a dick. I guess the career office is hustling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:17 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Haha, well, Zearfoss's email makes me feel like a dick. I guess the career office is hustling.
Yeah, I also appreciate the effort. Though it would be feasible to give us a tentative schedule. Just so we have an idea. From what they are saying it doesn't seem like we could lose any interviews as they request more interview slots.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 am

buckilaw wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Haha, well, Zearfoss's email makes me feel like a dick. I guess the career office is hustling.
Yeah, I also appreciate the effort. Though it would be feasible to give us a tentative schedule. Just so we have an idea. From what they are saying it doesn't seem like we could lose any interviews as they request more interview slots.
Unless they accidentally double-booked (which the email said does happen sometimes). I'm fine with August 10th for finding out. That gives us a week and a half.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:06 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Unless they accidentally double-booked (which the email said does happen sometimes). I'm fine with August 10th for finding out. That gives us a week and a half.
For people who are concerned about not getting schedules until late: you really don't need more than a week and a half, as some interviewer names aren't even out until a day or two before (and that's more on the firms, not on Michigan). If you want to do research, do it on your entire bidlist -- at most, you're researching 5-10 additional firms, and you'll want to do that anyway.

(Or spend the time mass mailing firms that aren't coming to OCI)

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:53 pm

somewhere on tls, i found a link to a website that rates/discusses michigan professors (not ratemyprofessor.com). people would write a little paragraph, and then it would list the paragraphs, like 1-10. i wish i had bookmarked it, because now i can't find it! anyone know what site i am talking about?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geoffrey

New

Post by Geoffrey » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 pm

So our unofficial schedules are out...

Contracts - JJ White
Torts - Herzog
Civ Pro - Bagley

any thoughts?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:23 pm

aladdinismyprince wrote:somewhere on tls, i found a link to a website that rates/discusses michigan professors (not ratemyprofessor.com). people would write a little paragraph, and then it would list the paragraphs, like 1-10. i wish i had bookmarked it, because now i can't find it! anyone know what site i am talking about?
Lawprofguide

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:49 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
aladdinismyprince wrote:somewhere on tls, i found a link to a website that rates/discusses michigan professors (not ratemyprofessor.com). people would write a little paragraph, and then it would list the paragraphs, like 1-10. i wish i had bookmarked it, because now i can't find it! anyone know what site i am talking about?
Lawprofguide

thank you!!!

Pathika

New

Post by Pathika » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Geoffrey wrote:So our unofficial schedules are out...

Contracts - JJ White
Torts - Herzog
Civ Pro - Bagley

any thoughts?
JJ White is said to be a legend and Herzog was voted the best teacher at the entire university, not just the law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:45 am

Any 2Ls or 3Ls ever have Kyle Logue, Mark West or Dan Halberstam?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Pathika wrote:

Contracts - JJ White
Torts - Herzog
Civ Pro - Bagley

any thoughts?
JJ White is said to be a legend and Herzog was voted the best teacher at the entire university, not just the law school.
I had JJ for commercial transactions. He's amusing (in a kind-of-racist grandfather way), but not easy.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Any 2/3Ls care to comment on Krier? There seems to be mixed opinions of him on lawprof guide. Does he always do multiple choice exams?

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Contracts - JJ White
Torts - Herzog
Civ Pro - Bagley

any thoughts?
You are incredibly lucky. I only know JJ White and Herzog by reputation, but Nick Bagley is one of the best professors I've ever had, ever. Teaching is definitely a priority for him (which is not true of most professors), and he works really hard to make the material understandable and engaging.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Any 2/3Ls care to comment on Krier? There seems to be mixed opinions of him on lawprof guide. Does he always do multiple choice exams?
Yes, Krier always does multiple choice exams, mostly because he's lazy and doesn't want to grade essays. Property was my worst 1L grade, but I've never done as well on MC exams as written exams. I ended up liking him all right as a person by the end of the semester (he does say incredibly offensive things in class, but he was perfectly pleasant in office hours), and I do think he genuinely wanted to help us learn the material. That being said, his class made no sense half the time, and a lot of what we learned was Krier's idea of what property law should be, rather than what property law actually is.

Kramer

New

Post by Kramer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Best supplements for property (krier), torts (schlanger), and criminal law (uhlmann)?

Specific books are:

Crim law - Cases and materials on criminal law by Dressler

Torts - Epstein & Sharkey Cases and Materials on Torts

Property - Property by Dukeminier

Thanks!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:34 pm

RTFM wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:Any 2/3Ls care to comment on Krier? There seems to be mixed opinions of him on lawprof guide. Does he always do multiple choice exams?
Yes, Krier always does multiple choice exams, mostly because he's lazy and doesn't want to grade essays. Property was my worst 1L grade, but I've never done as well on MC exams as written exams. I ended up liking him all right as a person by the end of the semester (he does say incredibly offensive things in class, but he was perfectly pleasant in office hours), and I do think he genuinely wanted to help us learn the material. That being said, his class made no sense half the time, and a lot of what we learned was Krier's idea of what property law should be, rather than what property law actually is.
Hmm, well that sounds foreboding haha. At least I have Uhlmann and Whitman, though. It seems like they're pretty well-liked. Anyway, thanks for the input!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:56 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
RTFM wrote:
Hmm, well that sounds foreboding haha. At least I have Uhlmann and Whitman, though. It seems like they're pretty well-liked. Anyway, thanks for the input!
I personally liked Krier and learned a lot in his class.

Definitely get Krier's Gilbert's outline. Krier is a coauthor for the casebook he uses so his outline is basically keyed to it. That shit is so money. Also, get someone to send you that monster outline that has literally everything that you need to know for the class in it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Did Reimann post his Transnat books up yet? I can't seem to find the list.
Thanks

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
RTFM wrote:
I personally liked Krier and learned a lot in his class.

Definitely get Krier's Gilbert's outline. Krier is a coauthor for the casebook he uses so his outline is basically keyed to it. That shit is so money. Also, get someone to send you that monster outline that has literally everything that you need to know for the class in it.
Okay, will do. Thanks for the advice.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Kramer wrote:Best supplements for property (krier), torts (schlanger), and criminal law (uhlmann)?

Specific books are:

Crim law - Cases and materials on criminal law by Dressler

Torts - Epstein & Sharkey Cases and Materials on Torts

Property - Property by Dukeminier

Thanks!
Gilbert's for property, like the poster above said, was written by Krier/Dukeminier and it is SUPER helpful. I also found the ExamPro supplement helpful for Krier's class because it's all MC questions with super detailed explanations. I didn't get a separate supplement for present/future interests but you might want to do that too.

Uhlmann will probably suggest you get Understanding Criminal Law but Dressler. I thought it was pretty helpful, but there's also an outline of it on Lexis that is free (it's the Lexis Criminal Law Capsule Summary or something like that) and basically just as helpful (it's a 73 page Word document instead of the 120 page book).

pizzaguy1

New

Post by pizzaguy1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Does anyone have any input on the best supplements for civil procedure- Niehoff, contracts- J.J. White, and Torts- Herzog? The specific casebooks used are Civ Pro, 8th Ed, by Stephen C. Yeazell- civil procedure, The modern law of contracts, Author: by Bruce W. Frier, James J. White. 3rd edition- contracts, and Tort law : responsibilities and redress, Author: John C. P. Goldberg, Anthony J. Sebok, Benjamin C. Zipursky 3rd edition- torts. Thanks for the help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”