Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thalassocrat

Bronze

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:41 pm

So, now that schedules are out for the Fall starters, I have a few professor questions. I'll have Radin (Contracts), West (Crim), Friedman (Civ Pro), and Osbeck (Legal Practice). So far from searching the forum I've learned that Radin is spacey/doesn't cold call much, West doesn't like supplements, Friedman was the guy supporting the convict who wants to go to law school that was on ATL, and there's nothing on Osbeck. Anything else I should probably know?

betsyanna

New

Post by betsyanna » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:47 pm

thalassocrat wrote:So, now that schedules are out for the Fall starters, I have a few professor questions. I'll have Radin (Contracts), West (Crim), Friedman (Civ Pro), and Osbeck (Legal Practice). So far from searching the forum I've learned that Radin is spacey/doesn't cold call much, West doesn't like supplements, Friedman was the guy supporting the convict who wants to go to law school that was on ATL, and there's nothing on Osbeck. Anything else I should probably know?
Osbeck is one of the more relaxed legal practice profs. He's a bit socially awkward but extremely nice--and he actually cares a lot about good legal writing. I had him 3 years ago, and at that time he didn't teach research very well. A lot of people from my section took an advanced research class during 2L/3L to try to fill the gaps.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:29 pm

betsyanna wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:So, now that schedules are out for the Fall starters, I have a few professor questions. I'll have Radin (Contracts), West (Crim), Friedman (Civ Pro), and Osbeck (Legal Practice). So far from searching the forum I've learned that Radin is spacey/doesn't cold call much, West doesn't like supplements, Friedman was the guy supporting the convict who wants to go to law school that was on ATL, and there's nothing on Osbeck. Anything else I should probably know?
Osbeck is one of the more relaxed legal practice profs. He's a bit socially awkward but extremely nice--and he actually cares a lot about good legal writing. I had him 3 years ago, and at that time he didn't teach research very well. A lot of people from my section took an advanced research class during 2L/3L to try to fill the gaps.
Hm, that's good to know, thanks. :)

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:52 am

Any insights on the following professors? (Section N)

Halberstam (Con. Law)
Schneider (Property)
Horwitz (Torts)
Falon (Legal Practice)

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:50 am

JetstoRJC wrote:Any insights on the following professors? (Section N)

Halberstam (Con. Law)
Schneider (Property)
Horwitz (Torts)
Falon (Legal Practice)
Paul Falon is the MAN. I didn't have him and really wish I had. You will work hard, but you will absolutely learn how to write if you want to put in the effort. Every single year he puts somewhere around 7-9 people on Law Review. Most other LP professors put 1-3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wolverine2013

New

Post by wolverine2013 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:25 pm

I have the same schedule except with Dan Crane as my contracts prof and Nancy Vettorello teaching Legal practice. Anyone know anything about them?

lukeskywalker

New

Post by lukeskywalker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Fun & Random Question-- How is Halloween at Michigan Law? Do people go crazy?

P. Bateman

New

Post by P. Bateman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 am

Let us know how OCI goes. Be an alpha. Good luck.

-Patrick Bateman

mcdad

New

Post by mcdad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:02 pm

1) Can you have your books delivered to the Lawyers' Club prior to move-in day.
2) If you can, what is the address? (I assume it is your room letter and number plus a street address.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 am

Is there a way to forward the emails we receive from our Michigan account to gmail?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:19 am

wolverine2014 wrote:Is there a way to forward the emails we receive from our Michigan account to gmail?
Yea, you just have to go to this website, log in, and add your gmail address.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:12 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:Is there a way to forward the emails we receive from our Michigan account to gmail?
Yea, you just have to go to this website, log in, and add your gmail address.
thanks

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm

lukeskywalker wrote:Fun & Random Question-- How is Halloween at Michigan Law? Do people go crazy?
There is a Halloween party at a bar. Tickets sell out, and yes, people go crazy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sophia

New

Post by sophia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but I'm thinking about buying my textbooks used and at greatly discounted prices. Is this okay, or are there any strong reasons to buy textbooks new?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:51 pm

sophia wrote:Not sure if this has been asked yet, but I'm thinking about buying my textbooks used and at greatly discounted prices. Is this okay, or are there any strong reasons to buy textbooks new?
Buy them used unless someone elses highlighting is going to affect you greatly.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm

mcdad wrote:1) Can you have your books delivered to the Lawyers' Club prior to move-in day.
2) If you can, what is the address? (I assume it is your room letter and number plus a street address.)
Yes you can, but they won't accept packages before the 26th so time it accordingly. The address is your name @ 551 South State St. Ann Arbor MI 48109-1208

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 pm

wolverine2013 wrote:
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 pm

Thoughts on Halberstam, Krier, Horwitz, and Broomberg?

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:24 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:Any insights on the following professors? (Section N)

Halberstam (Con. Law)
Schneider (Property)
Horwitz (Torts)
Falon (Legal Practice)
Paul Falon is the MAN. I didn't have him and really wish I had. You will work hard, but you will absolutely learn how to write if you want to put in the effort. Every single year he puts somewhere around 7-9 people on Law Review. Most other LP professors put 1-3.

What he says about Falon is true - many people that had him made it onto law review. Kinda crazy. I would advise that if you're really interested in being a great legal writer, make that clear to him when you have your meetings with him to go over memos. Sometime during the year, he offered one-on-one sessions with students to help them with their writing. It wasn't explicitly advertised, but you found out about it through the sign up system on westlaw. My feeling is that students that expressed interest in improving, he set up separate meetings, and several of those students ended up on LR.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:25 am

MPMP wrote:Thoughts on Halberstam, Krier, Horwitz, and Broomberg?
Krier is a crazy old professor. Some people love him, some people don't. I didn't like him. As long as you have Gilbert's property (which is written by him and his coauthors (same people as his textbook)), you won't go wrong. In fact, gilbert's is probably much clearer than Krier will ever be.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:31 am

I haven't had West - but he specializes in Japanese Law, so I had friends that complained that he concentrated too much on comparing the US v Japanese systems, and not focusing on just teaching US crim law. I might be wrong, but I also believe that he was the prof that played a movie for a part of the exam last yr - you had to spot how many issues you saw in the film. Certainly an interesting approach.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:39 am

Friedman: Super smart guy. He also has a quirky sense of humor, which I really liked. There were days I walked out of that class wondering what the hell we had talked about the whole class, though. He cold-calls a LOT and will get upset if you don't warn him in advance that you aren't prepared for class. Last year, he used all his own materials for the first time. Like, he'd email us a PDF a couple days before the reading was due. That was a little stressful, but his materials were good.

Radin: She usually only cold-calls 1 or 2 people a day. The thing that drove me crazy in that class was that classroom discussions often totally co-opted the class period. We were constantly behind in that class.

Schneider: Get ready to spend about 3 weeks on Pierson v. Post. Seriously. He really teaches you how to read and analyze cases--it will seem like a pain, but you'll come out of that class much better at it, you're lucky you have him 1st semester and not 2nd semester like EFGH did last year. He cold-calls and sticks with you for a LONG time and is kind of intimidating but very pleasant in general.

Also: don't freak out about cold-calls, guys. They really aren't a big deal. No one will remember your fumbled and botched answers by the time class is over.

I have the books required for Schneider (will sell for $40) and Radin (casebook for $50, Barnett book for $10), if anyone wants them PM me. All have fairly heavy pencil underlining/margin notes, but I bought them brand-new and they are in good shape otherwise.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:01 pm

what are the prospects of attending Michigan and then working in LA? do a lot of LA firms recruit from Michigan?

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:21 am

silly101 wrote:what are the prospects of attending Michigan and then working in LA? do a lot of LA firms recruit from Michigan?
Same question, but Boston/New England? I see on the website that not many people end up working there, but is that just factor of where people choose to apply for jobs?

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:11 pm

silly101 wrote:what are the prospects of attending Michigan and then working in LA? do a lot of LA firms recruit from Michigan?
This year the people that wanted to work in LA got a bunch of interviews at OCI compared to people interviewing in other markets. I know of people getting 20+ interviews which is crazy! Just from that alone, my sense is that there's ample opportunity to work in LA coming from Michigan Law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”