Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Alexandria

Silver

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by Alexandria » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:How many classes can you skip at Michigan before it affects your grade?
Depends entirely on the prof.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Lawlcat wrote:
rolark wrote: Does this mean anyone, not just LC residents, may attend?
I'm pretty sure this is the case. A large number of LLMs go.
This is definitely true. Any law student can go. Every now and then, even people from completely different U of M schools show up.

waitingforanswers

New

Post by waitingforanswers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on dual degree programs? I think it could be interesting to get a masters in something random but I imagine it could potentially detract from my law school performance.

MarkL234

New

Post by MarkL234 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 pm

This may have already been answered but is the 1L Legal Research and Writing Class pass/fail?

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 am

MarkL234 wrote:This may have already been answered but is the 1L Legal Research and Writing Class pass/fail?
Yes.

Well. Honors/pass/fail. I think like 20% get honors. I've heard it argued that it's worth treating it as pass/fail.

The thing is, the skills are said to be really useful, and I for one really like my legal writing prof and don't want to disappoint. That said, I don't obsess over the grades. To give an example of where these motivations might lead to differing actions, sometimes I've postponed an assignment and taken the "late penalty" both so that I could do work for other classes or projects outside of class, and so that I would have the time to really put together something good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

b0dylanguage

New

Post by b0dylanguage » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey, great thread.

Any insight into how the Socratic method is used at Michigan?

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:49 pm

b0dylanguage wrote:Hey, great thread.

Any insight into how the Socratic method is used at Michigan?
"What leads you to believe that anyone can provide insight into the usage of the Socratic Method at Michigan?"

More seriously: varies from professor to professor. Actually, Primus is the only one that I've had so far that I'd really describe as doing anything like what I understand by the term "Socratic method". (To me, Socratic Method means asking a student a question, then critiquing the response and forcing a defense, changing a fact to expose a standard, proposing a scenario that shows the student's response is inconsistent, etc. Being, in short, Socratic: leading the other person to reflect on their thoughts and opinions by prompting them to consider certain questions.) This lack kind of disappoints me. Then again, my impression is that I'm a bit off-center on this issue, towards the direction of both wanting more of a Socratic approach and being less likely to say that a professor's manner is "really" Socratic.

Specifics:

West (Crim Law): Not Socratic at all.

Horwitz (Torts): Not really. I mean, she'd ask students a series of questions, but I don't think it really had a particularly "Socratic" quality. For example, here's a (paraphrased) exchange from my class notes:
HORWITZ: Suppose he'd been injured in the bar (slipped and fell) -- what status?
Student: Invitee.
HORWITZ: Duty owed?
Student: To keep the premises reasonably safe and warn of any dangers.
HORWITZ: What if he and Free hit it off and she invites him home for dinner?
Student: Licensee.
HORWITZ: Duty?
Student: To warn of any dangers?
HORWITZ: How about in Mississippi?
Student: To not willfully injure him.
HORWITZ: Yeah! Same as trespasser. This is weird. Elsewhere, she'd have had a danger to warn of hidden dangers, etc.
It's a series of questions, but they don't cut very deep, and are instead a sweeping series of pretty "one right answer" doctrinal questions.

Miller (Property): He hardly even ever asked questions.

(Moving on to this semester)
Primus (Constitutional Law): Pretty close to my mental conception of someone using the Socratic method. I really like his teaching style, and I think most other students do as well. Really outstanding professor. He really presses you to think hard about the issues, and to critically evaluate the logic that led you to your positions.
"SAY WHAT YOU MEAN."
"You have given a very interesting response that in no way answers my question."

Croley (Civil Procedure): Not really...he'll ask questions, but they're pretty straightforward factual or near-factual questions about the case or its holding, or "What would you do if ~" type hypotheticals.

Frier (Contracts): Maybe sorta Socratic? He does stay with one student for a good while longer than most professors, but his questions are usually pretty softball.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 pm

How often do students enroll in one of Michigan's own semester abroad program? Have any Mich posters done so, or plan on doing so?

And, for that matter, have any chosen to enroll in another ABA-appoved abroad program (as Michigan allows)?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:How often do students enroll in one of Michigan's own semester abroad program? Have any Mich posters done so, or plan on doing so?

And, for that matter, have any chosen to enroll in another ABA-appoved abroad program (as Michigan allows)?

I know quite a few students who have done (or are doing) the program in Geneva. I don't plan on doing so myself though. I think I saw some news somewhere that they recently expanded it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:37 pm

I GRADUATE TWO MONTHS FROM TODAY!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Alexandria wrote:I GRADUATE TWO MONTHS FROM TODAY!
Ha! Congratulations, Alexandria! :mrgreen:

drlardfanni

New

Public Schools in Ann Arbor

Post by drlardfanni » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:14 am

First thanks to all for taking time to do this.

I don't know if anybody can field this question, but how are the public schools in Ann Arbor, and where should I look to live so that my son can go to a decent elementary school? I don't anticipate being able to afford to send him to private school. :wink:

I guess since I'm on the topic of families, can anybody speak to how the Financial Aid office adjusts "costs of education" for dependents? I am wondering where my allowed loans will land.

starstruck393

Silver

Re: Public Schools in Ann Arbor

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 am

drlardfanni wrote:First thanks to all for taking time to do this.

I don't know if anybody can field this question, but how are the public schools in Ann Arbor, and where should I look to live so that my son can go to a decent elementary school? I don't anticipate being able to afford to send him to private school. :wink:

I guess since I'm on the topic of families, can anybody speak to how the Financial Aid office adjusts "costs of education" for dependents? I am wondering where my allowed loans will land.
I've heard that the public high schools in A2 are incredibly good; I would imagine then that the school system as a whole is excellent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JRMjr

Bronze

Re: Public Schools in Ann Arbor

Post by JRMjr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 am

starstruck393 wrote:
drlardfanni wrote:First thanks to all for taking time to do this.

I've heard that the public high schools in A2 are incredibly good; I would imagine then that the school system as a whole is excellent.
the system is great. very affluent area.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Looking at apartment postings, they often use "Ann Arbor public schools" as a selling point.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:21 am

Ok so are any students banking on that LRAP?? From what I have read it seems like a great LRAP. Are there any complaints from current students about the LRAP that some of us 0Ls might overlook? Just a little worried about my potential LS debt. Sorry if I don't make sense, I literally have been up all night.

Lindsey_saurus

New

Post by Lindsey_saurus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:41 am

JRMjr wrote:starstruck393 wrote:
drlardfanni wrote:
First thanks to all for taking time to do this.

the system is great. very affluent area.
Yeah, A2 schools are very good. Ypsilanti schools are not, so you'll want to make sure you stay within A2 and don't venture further out for the cheaper rent.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Primus is clearly out to discredit me. The 0Ls came to watch a class, and he went reeeeally easy on us. Lame!

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Lawlcat wrote:Primus is clearly out to discredit me. The 0Ls came to watch a class, and he went reeeeally easy on us. Lame!
I was gonna say that the prof was pretty easy on you all. Loved the girl that was called on and skipped class.... Amazing!

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:57 pm

JRMjr wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:Primus is clearly out to discredit me. The 0Ls came to watch a class, and he went reeeeally easy on us. Lame!
I was gonna say that the prof was pretty easy on you all. Loved the girl that was called on and skipped class.... Amazing!
Yeah, I wonder what happened there. I think it may have been that although he did say we'd have a class on Friday, whereas we normally have it only MTW, I don't believe he mentioned the new time (10:35 rather than 2:25). I myself only realized it when I by chance walked past the room and saw the signs posted up on the doors.

But yeah. Whether Primus decided to take it easy on his own, or if a Dean told him to make it really friendly so as not to "scare" the 0Ls, I thought it was a terrible decision. I don't know if I would have come to Michigan if I had seen that class.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Lawlcat wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
Yeah, I wonder what happened there. I think it may have been that although he did say we'd have a class on Friday, whereas we normally have it only MTW, I don't believe he mentioned the new time (10:35 rather than 2:25). I myself only realized it when I by chance walked past the room and saw the signs posted up on the doors.

But yeah. Whether Primus decided to take it easy on his own, or if a Dean told him to make it really friendly so as not to "scare" the 0Ls, I thought it was a terrible decision. I don't know if I would have come to Michigan if I had seen that class.
Yea, it didn't seem so rough. I guess it's...good?...to know he was going easy on y'all?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:34 am

Hey Phid House ... I want YOUR bad romance.

betsyanna

New

Post by betsyanna » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:39 pm

hi all,

since there are regularly questions about off-campus housing for entering 1Ls with spouses/SOs:

my neighbor is renting out his condo. it's about 950 sq ft and he's asking $920/month. location is good--close to the mall, so it's about a five minute drive to campus. it's right on a bus line (#7 to downtown) and very close to the commuter lot/shuttle pickup (which i use every day to get to school).

pm me if you're interested.

rolark

New

Post by rolark » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 am

Could someone comment on how selection is done for the clinics? I have a strong interest in one or two of them and I'm wondering if it'll be based primarily on grades, resume, or something else.

Thanks!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 pm

rolark wrote:Could someone comment on how selection is done for the clinics? I have a strong interest in one or two of them and I'm wondering if it'll be based primarily on grades, resume, or something else.

Thanks!
You apply for them, and I think it's probably based on the interest you demonstrate in filling out the application (probably a combination of relevant classes you've taken and the little essays you write).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”