Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starstruck393

Silver

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 am

letmein2010 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
tamlyric wrote:
letmein2010 wrote:whats the best way to get to campus from the Detroit airport? im going to visit next week, and id rather not pay more than i have to...
If I recall correctly from Preview Weekend, ...

Take 94W to Exit 177 (I think). Take a right onto State Street. The law school will be on your right about 2 or 3 miles up the road. You CANNOT miss it. :)
Be sure to leave the airport from the north entrance (Merriman Rd. I think; to 94) instead of the west entrance (Eureka Rd. to 275N, which takes you to 94). Although Eureka is much easier from the new terminal, 275 is all torn up along the airport, and since you want 94 anyway, it's best to avoid the construction if you can.
haha actually i meant more in terms of shuttle vs. cabs, or if there was some specific bus/service that most people used when getting to campus rather than actual directions....i appreciate the help though!
Woops. I would think the Michigan Flyer bus would be the way to go http://www.michiganflyer.com/ (as long as you don't mind not having a car to drive around A2, taking out a rental car from consideration)..

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:52 pm

So recently decided to send in my deposit to Michigan and now I'm looking for some swag to purchase with the law school name on it, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton out there on the interwebs. Any place to find mugs/glasses/etc from the law school?

I did find a hat - http://www.ulrichs.com/search_advanced_ ... 8916A7146D
and a shirt - http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-School-A ... 143&sr=1-1

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:08 pm

holydonkey wrote:So recently decided to send in my deposit to Michigan and now I'm looking for some swag to purchase with the law school name on it, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton out there on the interwebs. Any place to find mugs/glasses/etc from the law school?

Congrats, Donkey!

That is one rad avatar, if I dare say so. Haven't found any swag yet, but will definitely be on the lookout. :D

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:50 pm

holydonkey wrote:So recently decided to send in my deposit to Michigan and now I'm looking for some swag to purchase with the law school name on it, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton out there on the interwebs. Any place to find mugs/glasses/etc from the law school?

I found bunch of Michigan stuff... just no law school stuff. However, they did give us a Michigan Law t-shirt on preview weekend. I'll probably get a generic Michigan hat and a sweatshirt and call it a day.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:54 pm

doinmybest wrote:

I found bunch of Michigan stuff... just no law school stuff. However, they did give us a Michigan Law t-shirt on preview weekend. I'll probably get a generic Michigan hat and a sweatshirt and call it a day.
They sell Michigan Law t-shirts and sweaters at "Michigan Book and Supply" on State and North University's intersection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:04 pm

http://www.mden.com/shopping/product.cg ... ARCH?NA960

Not sure how many places offer Michigan Law apparel online, but there is a standard "Michigan Law" shirt at the MDen.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:43 am

No idea on the mugs/glasses/etc, but just wanted to say: nice 'tar! And congrats on making the Mich decision!

DRPSET

New

Post by DRPSET » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 am

All of the official law school stuff comes from the law school senate I believe. I snagged this email during preview weekend where you can apparently acquire some gear. lsss.gear@umich.edu

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try the email address. If that doesn't work, I can always scribble a blue "M - Law" on a white mug.

/you would think Michigan would be trying to hawk this stuff like crazy for the building campaign

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:05 pm

welcome to the family, holydonkey

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Guess I should post this here as well...

I'm starting to look at insurance. Have any of the current students used the UHS? Do you just carry major medical insurance? The school's plan is ridiculously expensive. Blue Cross Yong Adult is only $50/month and covers the major stuff but I'd essentially have to use UHS for all doc visits. What do you do for dental?

stephhu

New

Post by stephhu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi

I recently decided to go to UMich for law school! I'm really excited. I was hoping for some advice on where to live.

I was hoping to live south of campus, (closer to the Megabus stop on State) but I haven't found anything like that. Any ideas?

but I'm looking for the following:

studio/1 bedroom with a kitchen in a modern mid/high rise building
gym and laundry

Zaragon looked great, but no one bedrooms, I'm waiting for 411 lofts to get back to me and Towers seems only to have craigslist ads since they are condos. Anyone have other ideas or thoughts?

Redelicious

New

Post by Redelicious » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:50 am

Attending U Mich. Very excited . :D :D :

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:24 am

stephhu wrote:Hi

I recently decided to go to UMich for law school! I'm really excited. I was hoping for some advice on where to live.

I was hoping to live south of campus, (closer to the Megabus stop on State) but I haven't found anything like that. Any ideas?

but I'm looking for the following:

studio/1 bedroom with a kitchen in a modern mid/high rise building
gym and laundry

Zaragon looked great, but no one bedrooms, I'm waiting for 411 lofts to get back to me and Towers seems only to have craigslist ads since they are condos. Anyone have other ideas or thoughts?
might be too far but Lake Village of Ann Arbor is AWESOME. its where I signed a lease with the wife

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 pm

All this talk about parking:

Is there some option to pay for parking through the university proper, perhaps far far away?

I plan to bring a car, and will probably use it once per month.

Hence, I seek not these NYC parking rates. I just wanna put my car within 2 miles of the Lawyers Club.

What are my option-a-mundos?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:40 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:All this talk about parking:

Is there some option to pay for parking through the university proper, perhaps far far away?

Hence, I seek not these NYC parking rates. I just wanna put my car within 2 miles of the Lawyers Club.

There is but it's expensive...like $800 or something and far away.

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:43 pm

blhoward2 wrote:

$800 for the year? Semester?

Thanks for your response!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:48 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

I think a year, there is a U of M parking site somewhere.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:51 am

Crickets on my earlier LRAP question, so I have another couple:

Is there a public interest community per se at Michigan? Do people sure about doing PI feel connected to others doing the same work? It seems like at many law schools, PI students tend to feel isolated. It's hard to articulate where that might come from, but I'm debating between Michigan and a dedicated PI program at another school. I've read up a lot on general PI support at Michigan, but I'm curious as to the difficult-to-define sense of community and feel for PI at Michigan. Any thoughts?

black celebration

New

Post by black celebration » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Hey all! Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I am trying to choose between Michigan and Berkeley. I am not really sure what I want to do after school -- probably P.I./gov't work.

Anyhow, I have heard so many wonderful things about Michigan, so now I'm trying to learn the big "cons" for each school. In all honesty, what are some of your least favorite things about your experiences at Michigan?

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:20 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=125

Michigan 3L lists some cons of the school, but later points out that they're probably not all that unique to Michigan in particular.

Edit: post can be found at about halfway point of the page.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

That's not even close to being right. Actually, student parking from the University itself is very cheap, it's just also very inconvenient (to the point where it's usually not worth it to use it to drive to class every day). It does, however, work very well if you just want to store a car, and have it somewhat close.

http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/students.php

You could either get a Student Orange or Yellow permit, or try for a Storage permit. Orange are essentially commuter lots on the outskirts of campus areas, while Yellow are closer to campus (and also give access to Orange, but not vice versa). Both have lots within 2 miles of the LC. That site can help you figure out what you would need.

http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/proration.pdf

The PDF gives the proration schedule; the prices are for July 2009-June 2010 for reference. But yeah, you get a full year's permit for the cost of 2-3 months at another option, you just have to deal with the inconvenient locations.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:21 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

That's not even close to being right. Actually, student parking from the University itself is very cheap, it's just also very inconvenient (to the point where it's usually not worth it to use it to drive to class every day). It does, however, work very well if you just want to store a car, and have it somewhat close.

http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/students.php

You could either get a Student Orange or Yellow permit, or try for a Storage permit. Orange are essentially commuter lots on the outskirts of campus areas, while Yellow are closer to campus (and also give access to Orange, but not vice versa). Both have lots within 2 miles of the LC. That site can help you figure out what you would need.

http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/proration.pdf

The PDF gives the proration schedule; the prices are for July 2009-June 2010 for reference. But yeah, you get a full year's permit for the cost of 2-3 months at another option, you just have to deal with the inconvenient locations.
Thanks for the correction! I guess I saw the price for the blue permit somewhere.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Dear Michigan 1L, 2L, and 3Ls, I'm trying to decide between UCLA and Michigan, I want to work in CA, but not necessarily LA ( I have a lot a pretty decent connection to very very good networking in the San Francisco area). I'm an EE non trad w/ good work experience and will probably end up doing IP. Can you help sell me on Michigan? Thanks in advance.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Generally specialty rankings shouldn't be used but...not only is Michigan ranked higher than UCLA, it's #7 in IP (UCLA not ranked) and, if you were interested in IP in EE, #7 in Electrical Engineering (UCLA not ranked)...and #5 aerospace, #2 industrial, #5 mechanical, #7 materials, #1 nuclear, #8 civil, etc. Think of all the classes you could take/networking you could do outside the law school. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”