Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nsideirish

Bronze

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by nsideirish » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Are there off campus houses available for rent? If so, where should I be looking?

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 am

This might have already been asked, but can anyone comment on how OCI went this year? What is the general perception on campus? Did most 2L's who wanted firm jobs get them?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:37 am

nsideirish wrote:Are there off campus houses available for rent? If so, where should I be looking?
Yes, and they're all over the place. And use google maps and look for places as close/far from the law quad as you want to be. It's hard to be more specific because there are so many student houses.

Ramsey

New

Post by Ramsey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Hello upperclassmen -

Are there many international students in law school? Are they well integrated (especially in the social scene)? The only US cities I've experienced are New York City and Boston, where my being a foreigner was not even noticed. I heard that there is a sizable international population in UMich undergrad, but is it also true in law school?

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
nsideirish wrote:Are there off campus houses available for rent? If so, where should I be looking?
Yes, and they're all over the place. And use google maps and look for places as close/far from the law quad as you want to be. It's hard to be more specific because there are so many student houses.
a2cribs.com

best place to find exactly what you're looking for on campus, the rest of the housing market in a2 is a shitshow for lack of a better term.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

math101

Bronze

Post by math101 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:28 pm

. . .
Last edited by math101 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Tagging this thread just so I can follow it. Thanks to a Darrow offer (in addition to the school's reputation, aesthetic beauty, and the warmth and friendliness of the administrative staff), Michigan is one of my top options right now, so I'm interested in what kinds of questions and answers people have, even though I don't have any myself yet.

anela00

Bronze

Post by anela00 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 pm

elterrible78 wrote:Tagging this thread just so I can follow it. Thanks to a Darrow offer (in addition to the school's reputation, aesthetic beauty, and the warmth and friendliness of the administrative staff), Michigan is one of my top options right now, so I'm interested in what kinds of questions and answers people have, even though I don't have any myself yet.
Me too!

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 pm

anela00 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:Tagging this thread just so I can follow it. Thanks to a Darrow offer (in addition to the school's reputation, aesthetic beauty, and the warmth and friendliness of the administrative staff), Michigan is one of my top options right now, so I'm interested in what kinds of questions and answers people have, even though I don't have any myself yet.
Me too!
Going to ASW?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Just posted this over the Class of 2016 forum, but I am probably more useful for you guys who still have questions. I'm a current pre-nostalgic 3L: if you have any questions (still trying to decide, etc.) don't hesitate to PM me. (You can also write back here, but I don't come here much these days)

If you're coming to Michigan, I'm also joining the slew of housing posts (I found a great subletter here last year): I have a one-bedroom an 8-minute walk from campus (near Main Street; the summer social scene/art fair/film festival/etc. switches to Main in the summer) in a quiet grad student house with AC, free laundry, and parking. I'm a 3L, so there is also an option to take over the lease in the fall. Place can come mostly furnished (couch, table and chairs, and bed) or unfurnished. PM me if you're interested.

J_stack

New

Post by J_stack » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 pm

If I'm going to be living in the LC, where's the nearest gym? Is there a rec room in the LC, or do I have to walk to the undergrad gym? Would bad weather deter you from going? Could I get away with running outside most of the time?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 pm

J_stack wrote:If I'm going to be living in the LC, where's the nearest gym? Is there a rec room in the LC, or do I have to walk to the undergrad gym? Would bad weather deter you from going? Could I get away with running outside most of the time?
B-school gym is the closest, but you have to pay (it's like $150/semester). IMSB and CCRB are both about the same distance (for IMSB you'll have to walk up a hill on the way home and for CCRB you have to trek across the diag/undergrad part of campus). It also depends on what you need to work out. If you just want basic weights/cardio machines, IMSB is fine and the b-school gym is incredibly nice; but if you're a runner, the only indoor track is at CCRB. However, neither are a very far walk from where the LC is. (The biggest thing that prevents me from going to CCRB is that the locker room is annoying whereas at IMSB most people just bring their crap with them and leave them by the machines (at least in the cardio room).

If you like running outside, good luck with that in the winter. I only run outside and haven't been able to go yet this week because it's snowed or been too cold pretty much every day :(. I've seen people out, but IMO, the sidewalks are way too slick to risk it.

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 am

J_stack wrote:If I'm going to be living in the LC, where's the nearest gym? Is there a rec room in the LC, or do I have to walk to the undergrad gym? Would bad weather deter you from going? Could I get away with running outside most of the time?
I'm from California and I have asthma so I was pretty worried about running in Michigan, but it really hasn't been that big of a problem. I've run outside every week this winter. There are some days where it's cold and snowing and I opt out, but as long as you have the right clothing, it's totally fine. Keg's right that this week has been pretty bad, especially because all the paths in the arboretum, where I run most of the time, have turned into ice. But I haven't fallen yet and I definitely haven't been sliding around on the sidewalks. Just in the woods. I know people that run every morning and are fine. It definitely depends on the person. But I firmly believe that anyone can adjust to it. Cold weather used to be a big asthma trigger for me, but I've had no issues.

As for the gym, the central campus gym (CCRB) is a little over half a mile from the LC, and the intramural gym (IMSB) might be a little closer but you have to walk uphill on the way back and wait at a bunch of lights so it takes about the same time to walk to either. Super fast if you're jogging though. Neither gym is particularly mindblowing. Both are a bit dated, but there's a good range of facilities and equipment. Some people like the business school gym, I haven't been there, but I hear it really depends on what you want out of a gym. They've got cardio machines and some weight machines. They also have some classes; yoga, pilaties. The serious lifters I know don't like it. Also limited weekend hours and they close at 9 on weekdays which I would find annoying. I like going to the gym pretty late.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 am

I've been sliding on the sidewalks, but they may just be crappy at clearing them in the area where I live and like to run :(. I've seen people who do it every day, though, so I think if you're REALLY dedicated and have the right clothes (and aren't afraid of possibly falling) you can do it.

demarco5

New

Post by demarco5 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am

For those who started in the fall, when did you look for housing and where did you start? Thanks!

J_stack

New

Post by J_stack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 am

potted plant wrote:
I'm from California and I have asthma so I was pretty worried about running in Michigan, but it really hasn't been that big of a problem. I've run outside every week this winter. There are some days where it's cold and snowing and I opt out, but as long as you have the right clothing, it's totally fine. Keg's right that this week has been pretty bad, especially because all the paths in the arboretum, where I run most of the time, have turned into ice. But I haven't fallen yet and I definitely haven't been sliding around on the sidewalks. Just in the woods. I know people that run every morning and are fine. It definitely depends on the person. But I firmly believe that anyone can adjust to it. Cold weather used to be a big asthma trigger for me, but I've had no issues.

As for the gym, the central campus gym (CCRB) is a little over half a mile from the LC, and the intramural gym (IMSB) might be a little closer but you have to walk uphill on the way back and wait at a bunch of lights so it takes about the same time to walk to either. Super fast if you're jogging though. Neither gym is particularly mindblowing. Both are a bit dated, but there's a good range of facilities and equipment. Some people like the business school gym, I haven't been there, but I hear it really depends on what you want out of a gym. They've got cardio machines and some weight machines. They also have some classes; yoga, pilaties. The serious lifters I know don't like it. Also limited weekend hours and they close at 9 on weekdays which I would find annoying. I like going to the gym pretty late.
Ah cool, thanks to both of you. I'm from California too, and I run pretty regularly here. Any suggestions of nice running routes I can try? I'll have a bunch of free time at my ASW and it'd be nice to get a run in.

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Pony up for BSchool, it's worth it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Does anyone know how need-based aid works? As in, do they email you if they're going to make you an offer, and are the amounts similar to those they offer in merit scholarships?

I'd love any insight that can I get.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:53 am

If anyone committing to the LC and summer starting needs a place to sublet, PM me! I'll be subletting a fully furnished room in a 6 bedroom/2 bathroom house literally a block away from the law school. It's normally $700, but I'll cut you a deal, including all utilities, internet, free laundry in the apartment, PARKING in a lot right next to the house, a sweet ass porch for grilling/hanging in the summer, and I'm pretty sure the landlord will allow pets. House was completely gutted and redone last summer, so all appliances etc. are new. Granite countertops, two fridges, high tech microwave that sings, wood floors. All of the other housemates are grad students and they're all chill and sociable folks. Move in/move out dates SUPER flexible. I'll even include supplements and outlines in the deal! PM me if you're interested in hearing more!

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:36 pm

I recently had coffee with someone who had graduated from W&L in 2008. He got a job out of school but was laid off a year an a half later. In general, he is pretty bitter about the law school experience and practicing at a law firm.

Out of all of the depressing things he said (and it was about an hour of straight 'don't under any circumstances go to law school' talk), what bothered me the most was that he hated being in law school. According to him mostly everyone is an asshole and waiting to screw you over. He didn't find the atmosphere intellectually stimulating and was generally miserable the whole time.

Obviously, his opinion is pretty extreme and based on a bad outcome for him after LS. And I understand that statistically it doesn't make any sense that all 300 people in my class will be the most annoying people I ever meet but can someone elaborate on what its like to be in law school at Michigan? I don't think I can spend three in a place without making real friends and having that emotional support.

Thanks!

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:08 am

VeeD101 wrote:I recently had coffee with someone who had graduated from W&L in 2008. He got a job out of school but was laid off a year an a half later. In general, he is pretty bitter about the law school experience and practicing at a law firm.

Out of all of the depressing things he said (and it was about an hour of straight 'don't under any circumstances go to law school' talk), what bothered me the most was that he hated being in law school. According to him mostly everyone is an asshole and waiting to screw you over. He didn't find the atmosphere intellectually stimulating and was generally miserable the whole time.

Obviously, his opinion is pretty extreme and based on a bad outcome for him after LS. And I understand that statistically it doesn't make any sense that all 300 people in my class will be the most annoying people I ever meet but can someone elaborate on what its like to be in law school at Michigan? I don't think I can spend three in a place without making real friends and having that emotional support.

Thanks!
I had this same fear as you, and I was pleasantly surprised with my classmates. I think this is partly a function of who you surround yourself with and the luck of the draw when it comes to your section. It may also be that I am fairly anti-social and spend most of the time away from campus with non-law-school friends, so maybe I am insulated from the major drama.

With that caveat, I would say that most of the law students I have met are not the most annoying people I have ever met. Some are annoying, but not to the extreme that I cannot handle it. At least in my section, while most people realize how bad the economy is, they genuinely want others to do well (at least outwardly). I think there is some gossip outside of class about each other, but it is generally related to non-law-school relates stuff (who is sleeping with who) and not (omg, so-and-so is so stupid). I've never personally been sabotaged by another student, and the people in my study group genuinely seemed like they wanted to help each other out. Sometimes I felt like I was being too friendly and helpful, and tried to remind myself that this was a competition. But, that never changed how I acted- I still tried to help others.

Hope that helps!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 am

aladdinismyprince wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:I recently had coffee with someone who had graduated from W&L in 2008. He got a job out of school but was laid off a year an a half later. In general, he is pretty bitter about the law school experience and practicing at a law firm.

Thanks!
I had this same fear as you, and I was pleasantly surprised with my classmates. I think this is partly a function of who you surround yourself with and the luck of the draw when it comes to your section. It may also be that I am fairly anti-social and spend most of the time away from campus with non-law-school friends, so maybe I am insulated from the major drama.

With that caveat, I would say that most of the law students I have met are not the most annoying people I have ever met. Some are annoying, but not to the extreme that I cannot handle it. At least in my section, while most people realize how bad the economy is, they genuinely want others to do well (at least outwardly). I think there is some gossip outside of class about each other, but it is generally related to non-law-school relates stuff (who is sleeping with who) and not (omg, so-and-so is so stupid). I've never personally been sabotaged by another student, and the people in my study group genuinely seemed like they wanted to help each other out. Sometimes I felt like I was being too friendly and helpful, and tried to remind myself that this was a competition. But, that never changed how I acted- I still tried to help others.

Hope that helps!
This does help a lot! Thank you!

genkidesuka

New

Post by genkidesuka » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

SUMMER STARTERS, I PRESENT TO YOU THE BEST SUMMER SUBLET!!!

Loc: 602 Monroe, Apartment 9
Available: Early May – Late August (negotiable to fit your schedule!)
Description: LIVE HALF A BLOCK FROM THE LAW SCHOOL IN A BEAUTIFUL 2-BEDROOM APARTMENT!!! We live in a really great third floor apartment in a converted house on Monroe, so it's super close to everything - within sight of the law school and Doms (aka where you will be spending significant time after-hours). It has an open floor plan, eat-in kitchen, wood floors, and lots of natural light. The bedrooms are big and furnished, and both of the double beds were new in August when we moved in. One of the bedrooms has French doors and the other has a big window that opens onto the top of the fire escape/roof - it has proven handy in more than one situation. PLUS there is an AC unit in each bedroom, which becomes critical very quickly. We each pay $675 per month, per room, but will of course negotiate on summer rent! PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL FOR PICTURES!!!

Please PM me if you're interested!

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 am

Welcome to TLS

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:25 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:Apologies in advanced on a question that isn't going to apply to a lot of people, but I'm wondering if anyone in this thread has experience eating out/grocery shopping in Ann Arbor with significant dietary restrictions? I know AA has a really granola reputation, but I live in a larger midwest city and already have trouble feeding myself :roll:

A big part of the appeal of moving to NYC/Chi/DC is that it's much easier for me to eat in these larger cities, but I am really charmed with UM. Obviously, if I ultimately decide on Mich I will figure it out and it's not THE deciding factor by any means, but certainly has me wondering.

Sorry for the special snowflake derail, and thanks in advance!
It really depends on what your diet restrictions are. I don't think you should have a problem with grocery stores, though, as there are a whole ton of them and they all have very good selections and specialty sections.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”