Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 am

dorriedoodle wrote:What do you think about Summer Start?
I'm not a summer starter but from the ones I talked to...they liked that they got an earlier start and take one less class this semester than us. They tended to get more gunners than the fall starters. Many also felt like the semester was way too compressed (class every day).

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:03 am

wolverine2014 wrote:For those of you in Ann Arbor already, I was wondering how's the Sprint network up there? I'm thinking of switching carriers and Sprint requires a 2 year contract. Thanks
One word: iPhone. Not positive about Sprint but someone today was just mentioning how shitty his virgin mobile service is. (They use Sprint's network...) That may be representative of Sprint or the function of some kind of throttling they do to virgin customers.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:36 am

How's Michigan's placement (no market in particular, just something east of the Mississippi)? I keep hearing horror stories about how Mich is a TTT in decline.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:30 pm

blowhard wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:For those of you in Ann Arbor already, I was wondering how's the Sprint network up there? I'm thinking of switching carriers and Sprint requires a 2 year contract. Thanks
One word: iPhone. Not positive about Sprint but someone today was just mentioning how shitty his virgin mobile service is. (They use Sprint's network...) That may be representative of Sprint or the function of some kind of throttling they do to virgin customers.
Wow, really?

mlaw612

New

Post by mlaw612 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:25 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:How's Michigan's placement (no market in particular, just something east of the Mississippi)? I keep hearing horror stories about how Mich is a TTT in decline.

I can't speak conclusively- but OCI went well this year I think. People that wanted biglaw jobs in whatever market they wanted seemed to be okay. There are obviously exceptions to this, but many people had their choice of job, and some had scholarship offers as well. I don't think that as long as you have a decent personality and don't seem boring as hell in an interview you would have no problem finding a job in any market. The alumni network for MLaw is crazy dedicated to the school, and consistently try and recruit from here.

hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:51 am

I was just curious: I have a friend who lives in the 313, and I was wondering how often/how easy it is to get up there for people in Ann Arbor. I understand people are generally busy during the school year, but I was told Ann Arbor is only a half-hour drive away. Is there commuter bus service to/from Detroit?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:11 am

NZA wrote:I was just curious: I have a friend who lives in the 313, and I was wondering how often/how easy it is to get up there for people in Ann Arbor. I understand people are generally busy during the school year, but I was told Ann Arbor is only a half-hour drive away. Is there commuter bus service to/from Detroit?
I've been to Detroit a bunch of times though I have a car so not as big of a deal. You have SOME free time in LS. I take off one day a weekend and usually an evening or two during the week. I know there is a bus to the airport but not sure to the city. Maybe sign up for zipcar? You get a discount for being a student and they are parked all over. Probably the same cost as a bus ticket...

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Tagging this thread to fuel my ever-growing love of Michigan <3

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:30 am

dulcatis wrote:Tagging this thread to fuel my ever-growing love of Michigan <3
Aww, you're def the frontrunner to being my favorite 1L next year :wink:
Btw I'm probably getting a May lease and will also probably be working in NYC this summer so if any summer starter wants to live in the lawyer's club and needs to sublet from June-August, hit me up. Even if i don't end up subletting my apt, I can def try to hook you up with someone who is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coolymx

New

Post by coolymx » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey I'm going to UMich to visit on Monday / Tuesday. I have scheduled a tour and 2 classes to listen in, but I want to get a sense of what the law student life is like outside of the class. What do you guys recommend?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Tagging this thread to fuel my ever-growing love of Michigan <3
Aww, you're def the frontrunner to being my favorite 1L next year :wink:
Btw I'm probably getting a May lease and will also probably be working in NYC this summer so if any summer starter wants to live in the lawyer's club and needs to sublet from June-August, hit me up. Even if i don't end up subletting my apt, I can def try to hook you up with someone who is.
My roommate and I are splitting up next year but our lease runs through July 31st. If anyone wants to share a large 2-bedroom in Harbor House let me know and you may be able to sublet from him over the summer until the new lease starts Aug 1.

Edit: If you're not a summer starter...you can still move in permanently Aug 1.

PM me for details

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:11 pm

coolymx wrote:Hey I'm going to UMich to visit on Monday / Tuesday. I have scheduled a tour and 2 classes to listen in, but I want to get a sense of what the law student life is like outside of the class. What do you guys recommend?
Just visit the library/reading room. Just kidding...kind of.

I'd visit Ashely's for some good micro-brew. Maybe Arbor Brewing for some more good micro-brew and tasty food. Really anywhere downtown... Finals are approaching so it's likely to be more subdued though.

What classes are you sitting in on?

Contracts with JJ White (a legend) at 8 AM on Monday/Tuesday in 100 Hutch would be interesting...

As would Con Law with Primus (another legend) at 10:40 in 100 Hutch. (Anyone can sit in on his class, just sit behind the bar...)

Edit: I'm in both of those classes so if interested PM me.

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:23 pm

here's my question: where do most of the summer starters live? do people usually just sublet around campus? luckily, my younger brother is an undergrad so i think i can probably sublet/have his room in his house, but i'm not sure how i like the idea of living with three sophomore boys all summer, haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 pm

wildcathighfive wrote:here's my question: where do most of the summer starters live? do people usually just sublet around campus? luckily, my younger brother is an undergrad so i think i can probably sublet/have his room in his house, but i'm not sure how i like the idea of living with three sophomore boys all summer, haha.
I'm not a summer but yes. They sublet if going to LC or move right into an off-campus place. Lot's of sublets on Craigslist.

Edit: MAKE SURE IT HAS AIR CONDITIONING!

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 pm

blowhard wrote:
wildcathighfive wrote:here's my question: where do most of the summer starters live? do people usually just sublet around campus? luckily, my younger brother is an undergrad so i think i can probably sublet/have his room in his house, but i'm not sure how i like the idea of living with three sophomore boys all summer, haha.
I'm not a summer but yes. They sublet if going to LC or move right into an off-campus place. Lot's of sublets on Craigslist.

Edit: MAKE SURE IT HAS AIR CONDITIONING!

haha great point. i'm a michigan native so i recognize that our summers are deceivingly hot. thanks!

coolymx

New

Post by coolymx » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:23 pm

blowhard wrote: ...What classes are you sitting in on?

Contracts with JJ White (a legend) at 8 AM on Monday/Tuesday in 100 Hutch would be interesting...

As would Con Law with Primus (another legend) at 10:40 in 100 Hutch. (Anyone can sit in on his class, just sit behind the bar...)

Cool thanks. I will try to arrange Tuesday to sit in JJ White's class. Right Now I'm scheduled to attend Moran's Crim. Justice at 9:00am, and Human Rights & International Law with Ratner at 1:20pm. I have a tour at 10:40 so too bad I will miss out on Primus, although at this point I don't know how thrilled I am about learning constitutional law (I fall asleep every time my prof talked about constitutions in my 4th year seminar)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:49 pm

coolymx wrote:
blowhard wrote: ...What classes are you sitting in on?

Cool thanks. I will try to arrange Tuesday to sit in JJ White's class. Right Now I'm scheduled to attend Moran's Crim. Justice at 9:00am, and Human Rights & International Law with Ratner at 1:20pm. I have a tour at 10:40 so too bad I will miss out on Primus, although at this point I don't know how thrilled I am about learning constitutional law (I fall asleep every time my prof talked about constitutions in my 4th year seminar)
Human rights is not a 1L class...just so you know. May be good to sit in on but don't be concerned if it seems way over your head.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:07 pm

mlaw612 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:How's Michigan's placement (no market in particular, just something east of the Mississippi)? I keep hearing horror stories about how Mich is a TTT in decline.

I can't speak conclusively- but OCI went well this year I think. People that wanted biglaw jobs in whatever market they wanted seemed to be okay. There are obviously exceptions to this, but many people had their choice of job, and some had scholarship offers as well. I don't think that as long as you have a decent personality and don't seem boring as hell in an interview you would have no problem finding a job in any market. The alumni network for MLaw is crazy dedicated to the school, and consistently try and recruit from here.

hope this helps!
What do you think the chances are that they'll be caught with their pants down like last year again?

coolymx

New

Post by coolymx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:07 am

blowhard wrote: Human rights is not a 1L class...just so you know. May be good to sit in on but don't be concerned if it seems way over your head.

Thanks for the heads up. Lol i think even the 1L classes will seem over my head, so no, I won't be too concerned with that. I just want to get a feel of what law school is like and what the vibe is at UMich. See if it lives up to its hype!

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 pm

mlaw612 wrote:

hope this helps!
I love Michigan, but disagree on this point.

Judging from past years' stats (as inadequate as they may be for ITE), I think Michigan does about as well in terms of BigLaw placement as any other T14 (outside of HYS). I definitely know people who tried for BigLaw and didn't make it (especially when aiming outside of NYC). It's very tempting to try to put a number on this, although it's a questionable endeavor without better data; 50/50 chance at median sounds kind of right, but I honestly lack the data to be firmer. Smart OCI strategy helps immensely: you should definitely talk to a 2L or 3L over the summer about what to do when (e.g., mass-mailing); OCI is not entirely intuitive and non-obvious mistakes can hurt you a lot, it seems. That said, I have no reason to believe Michigan is dramatically underperforming or overperforming its "prestige level".

I also feel I should second the part about alumni, despite my disagreement with the "if you want BigLaw, it's yours!" suggestion: I get the feeling that Michigan alums are uncommonly loyal to the school, and are really willing to go to bat for you at their firms (and agencies, organizations, courts, etc.). That can help a lot when firms are flooded with applications and have way more "good choices" than they need.

FMaze

New

Post by FMaze » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Lawlcat wrote:
mlaw612 wrote:

Judging from past years' stats (as inadequate as they may be for ITE), I think Michigan does about as well in terms of BigLaw placement as any other T14 (outside of HYS). .
Curious, where does one locate “these past stats”. . . somewhere on the net?

In looking at several BigLaw sites with offices on the Eastern seaboard (providing attorneys via school info), I am not seeing Mich as well represented as other T14 schools (not counting H/Y). I also noticed firms with locations in Florida, the Florida schools ruled (UF, FSU, Miami). . . which is not surprising (other than their ratio is through the roof). True for DC, where the local law schools have a very high ratio.

PS - I did locate this one site: http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/index.shtml

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 am

I'm a 0L and wanted to get some feedback about the financial aid process. How long did it take to hear back, etc? Thanks

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:33 am

FMaze wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:
mlaw612 wrote:

Judging from past years' stats (as inadequate as they may be for ITE), I think Michigan does about as well in terms of BigLaw placement as any other T14 (outside of HYS). .
Curious, where does one locate “these past stats”. . . somewhere on the net?

In looking at several BigLaw sites with offices on the Eastern seaboard (providing attorneys via school info), I am not seeing Mich as well represented as other T14 schools (not counting H/Y). I also noticed firms with locations in Florida, the Florida schools ruled (UF, FSU, Miami). . . which is not surprising (other than their ratio is through the roof). True for DC, where the local law schools have a very high ratio.

PS - I did locate this one site: http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/index.shtml
Check out this page, http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... fault.aspx, as well as some of the information linked in the left-hand menu there. Michigan sends substantial numbers of graduates to all the major legal markets, so smaller numbers of alumni in any specific location could be due to self-selection.

If you want to work in Florida, and have ties to the area (eg: family, lived or worked there, have compelling reasons, etc.), finding employment as a Michigan Law student there shouldn't be a problem.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Huge tag. I'ma read every page. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Huge tag. I'ma read every page. Thanks to all who have contributed.
Update: Finished every page! Sooo helpful. My enthusiasm about Michigan just went up about 200%, and I didn't even know that was possible. I even became convinced that I should live in the Lawyers Club, which I had not even been considering since I've been out of dorm living for about five years. The only problem is my beloved cat... Oh well, these are good choices to be making! Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”