Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Blowhard: I logged in with my UMich ID and it told me access denied, too.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:01 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Blowhard: I logged in with my UMich ID and it told me access denied, too.
They haven't given you guys access yet then. Works fine for me. I can't repost it... It's a major no no.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 am

blowhard wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Blowhard: I logged in with my UMich ID and it told me access denied, too.
They haven't given you guys access yet then. Works fine for me. I can't repost it... It's a major no no.
Nah, completely understandable. Wish my UMID would let me see it.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 am

Words of wisdom for ASW? What should I expect? Any advice?

Thanks. 8)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:Words of wisdom for ASW? What should I expect? Any advice?

Thanks. 8)
Don't get so drunk you piss on the floor in the middle of your hotel room at 3 am, 10 ft from your roommates head. Yes, this happened during my ASW and he chose not to go here...

Seriously though, mingle and get to know people. Both other 0Ls and current students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks. 8)
I can't wait for ASW! I'll be there for the 1st weekend. Excited to meet everyone!

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:51 pm

blowhard wrote:

Thanks. 8)
Don't get so drunk you piss on the floor in the middle of your hotel room at 3 am, 10 ft from your roommates head. Yes, this happened during my ASW and he chose not to go here...

Seriously though, mingle and get to know people. Both other 0Ls and current students.
Does everyone get this hammered? I'm coming with my girlfriend since I'm visiting from abroad and don't get many chances to see her. Hoping this doesn't have a major effect on the whole ASW experience.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:07 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Thanks. 8)

Does everyone get this hammered? I'm coming with my girlfriend since I'm visiting from abroad and don't get many chances to see her. Hoping this doesn't have a major effect on the whole ASW experience.
No. We started at an event at a bar and many people split off after a while because it was too loud. I ended up at Ashleys with a bunch of people getting to know them and having a beer or two. None of us were hammered. Apparently a few decided to get hammered.

It's like a law firm event...there is booze at a few of the events but I wouldn't drink in excess. That guy may have really liked Michigan but his actions and the resulting gossip forced his decision.

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Where did your illustrious hotel roommate end up?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Kurst wrote:Where did your illustrious hotel roommate end up?
No idea. He wasn't my roommate. I heard about it the next day.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Nice email from Dean Z re summer start wrote:This year, the two doctrinal courses offered to summer-starters are Contracts, taught by Professor John Pottow, and Torts, taught by Professor Sherman Clark.
Thoughts on the professors?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:59 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Nice email from Dean Z re summer start wrote:This year, the two doctrinal courses offered to summer-starters are Contracts, taught by Professor John Pottow, and Torts, taught by Professor Sherman Clark.
I have Clark for Evidence right now and like him so far. He just seems cool and laid back -- not intimidating at all.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Similarly, does it make a difference what the two doctrinal courses offered are? Cause I know that they change what they offer each summer slightly, so is this a good pair to be have over the summer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I think this is a pretty good set. I had both of these professors for the fall (and have the textbooks available for sale for each of these classes). I had Prof. Pottow in my half section class, so I don't know how it will change for a full 90 person section.

Pottow's class is very fast paced, it will take a little while before it all comes together for you. He is quite brilliant and the class is always amusing. No computers allowed for note-taking.

Clark's class is much more laid back and tends to stray from the traditional socratic method into lecture territory with some frequency.

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm considering throwing a transfer app toward Mich. I know that on average there are about 30 spots to go around. Any idea how many apps are received? Care to take a guess as to my chances? Top 1-2% at a school in the low 50s. Thanks.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:I'm considering throwing a transfer app toward Mich. I know that on average there are about 30 spots to go around. Any idea how many apps are received? Care to take a guess as to my chances? Top 1-2% at a school in the low 50s. Thanks.
1) Our transfer class this year is over 40. No idea what they're targeting for next year because their yield was really high last year and I think way more people accepted then they anticipated.
2) Definitely worth an app based on your rank/school and I think you have a solid chance -- but transfer apps can be weird sometimes, so you may want to read through last year's admissions/stats threads.

Also, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about transferring to Michigan.

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:19 pm

keg411 wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:I'm considering throwing a transfer app toward Mich. I know that on average there are about 30 spots to go around. Any idea how many apps are received? Care to take a guess as to my chances? Top 1-2% at a school in the low 50s. Thanks.
1) Our transfer class this year is over 40. No idea what they're targeting for next year because their yield was really high last year and I think way more people accepted then they anticipated.
2) Definitely worth an app based on your rank/school and I think you have a solid chance -- but transfer apps can be weird sometimes, so you may want to read through last year's admissions/stats threads.

Also, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about transferring to Michigan.
Thanks, as more questions come up I'm sure I'll take you up on that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lsatfree

New

Post by Lsatfree » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Is the business school gym worth the money? Does anyone know how much a membership is?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:02 pm

I signed up for the second ASW but tonight got an e-mail encouraging me to go to the first for the "Juan Tienda Scholarship Dinner"

Is this worth me going through the hassle of looking like a fool at work by switching my vacation days and all that?

Thanks.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:06 am

JoeMo wrote:I signed up for the second ASW but tonight got an e-mail encouraging me to go to the first for the "Juan Tienda Scholarship Dinner"

Is this worth me going through the hassle of looking like a fool at work by switching my vacation days and all that?

Thanks.
I went last year, it wasn't really that exciting (to be fair, though, I left early to go to the CCHA quarterfinal game, so maybe I missed something worthwhile).

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:16 am

Lsatfree wrote:Is the business school gym worth the money? Does anyone know how much a membership is?
It's either 120 a semester or 230 maybe, I can't remember if 230 was for the year or not. I don't think it is worth the money because it is a little lacking in the free weight area and the IM building is fine. I really liked it over the summer but not so much over the fall semester (because it got crowded).

Pros: Cardio Equipment, more attractive women, better managed, locker rooms, less undergrads not racking their weights and forgetting the order of dumbbells

Cons: Costs $, is crowded at times, fewer total law students go there

Another big difference is whether you go alone to the gym. The bschool gym is better if you go alone

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Is there a link to historical tuition costs at Michigan? Or historical tuition increases? Or does anyone know by what % tuition tends to increase by each year?

greenleaf

New

Post by greenleaf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Is there any chance a roommate survey will be posted to help us find compatible apartment-mates? It seems kind of awkward to approach people, determine they are incompatible based upon something you could have known through a survey, and then sit next to them in class will full knowledge that one of you rejected the other. A survey would REALLY be helpful and keep the positive UM vibe alive!

Lsatfree

New

Post by Lsatfree » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:48 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Lsatfree wrote:Is the business school gym worth the money? Does anyone know how much a membership is?
It's either 120 a semester or 230 maybe, I can't remember if 230 was for the year or not. I don't think it is worth the money because it is a little lacking in the free weight area and the IM building is fine. I really liked it over the summer but not so much over the fall semester (because it got crowded).

Pros: Cardio Equipment, more attractive women, better managed, locker rooms, less undergrads not racking their weights and forgetting the order of dumbbells

Cons: Costs $, is crowded at times, fewer total law students go there

Another big difference is whether you go alone to the gym. The bschool gym is better if you go alone
Thanks for the info. Do you usually have time to make it to the gym or do you really have to try to make time for it?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:41 pm

greenleaf wrote:Is there any chance a roommate survey will be posted to help us find compatible apartment-mates? It seems kind of awkward to approach people, determine they are incompatible based upon something you could have known through a survey, and then sit next to them in class will full knowledge that one of you rejected the other. A survey would REALLY be helpful and keep the positive UM vibe alive!
They do not plan on having a survey, but do have a roommate speed meet scheduled for ASW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”