Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starstruck393

Silver

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm

blhoward2 wrote:Thanks for the correction! I guess I saw the price for the blue permit somewhere.
You must have seen the faculty prices, which are quite a bit more expensive...

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

hey all- this came up in the Michigan 2013 thread and someone suggested I throw it here. There seems to be demand from the incoming class for a group focused on law students with SO's. I'm going to throw together an email distro so we can organize a get together this fall, help couples meet other couples, and generally try to mimic the Vandy "Law Partners" program (thanks Vandy, great idea!)

If you're interested, PM me your email addy and I'll throw your name on the list! I'll reply to your PM with my email so its slightly less....stalkerish... when the first email goes out

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Sun May 09, 2010 10:16 am

Would someone kindly point me in the direction of the online exam bank? I can't seem to find it via the law library site. Thanks.

cigol

New

Post by cigol » Sun May 09, 2010 11:16 am

Is everyone else reading that parking proration schedule as saying that an Orange Permit is $70 per year? The big orange lot at Michigan Stadium is 2/3 of a mile (so no more than a 10-12 minute walk) from the law quad. I feel like I'm missing something here since others are paying over $100 per month for spots right near the quad.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:44 am

cigol wrote:Is everyone else reading that parking proration schedule as saying that an Orange Permit is $70 per year? The big orange lot at Michigan Stadium is 2/3 of a mile (so no more than a 10-12 minute walk) from the law quad. I feel like I'm missing something here since others are paying over $100 per month for spots right near the quad.
2/3 mile could suck in deep snow. There is a park & ride by the mall where you can park for free and get dropped off at the door.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun May 09, 2010 11:57 am

2/3 of a mile is nothing. I walk that to class every day.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:All this talk about parking:

Is there some option to pay for parking through the university proper, perhaps far far away?

I plan to bring a car, and will probably use it once per month.

Hence, I seek not these NYC parking rates. I just wanna put my car within 2 miles of the Lawyers Club.

What are my option-a-mundos?
There is but it's expensive...like $800 or something and far away.
Is it bad that I see $800 and I think "wow, that's really cheap"?

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Wed May 12, 2010 10:25 am

Nah, I could see how you could look at $800 and think it's pretty cheap. Coming from a big city, such as DC or Chicago or especially places like NYC or SF, Ann Arbor feels down right affordable. $800/month will get you some pretty nice digs in AA, especially if you're rooming with someone else -- a $1600/month 2br is a VERY nice apartment. However, you definitely can get a pretty decent place for less. I'd say for a decent 1br, walkable to campus, you're looking at between $700 and $900. For a bedroom in a two-bedroom share, I'd say you should expect to spend between $550 and $700. For a three person share, depending on how you are sharing it (i.e., in a two-bedroom or a three-bedroom), I'd expect to pay btw $450 and $600.

Best of luck in the housing search. Welcome to Michigan to all our new 1Ls!

cigol

New

Post by cigol » Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Can anyone answer to how big the rooms are in the Lawyers' Club? I will be living in the standard Single and am just wondering how much space I'm going to be dealing with. Also, is there any way to tell from the room letter/number if it will be looking over the quad or street? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Wed May 12, 2010 1:45 pm

cigol wrote:Can anyone answer to how big the rooms are in the Lawyers' Club? I will be living in the standard Single and am just wondering how much space I'm going to be dealing with. Also, is there any way to tell from the room letter/number if it will be looking over the quad or street? Thanks.
I too would like to know the answer to these questions.

Similarly, is there a way to determine the floor from the room letter/number?

(And if anyone could direct me to the online exam bank that would be great too! :))

mcdad

New

Post by mcdad » Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 pm

I too would like to know how you can tell from the letter and number what floor you're on and which direction your window is facing. (Maybe they are all gone as exams are over.)

bubbles9482

New

Post by bubbles9482 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Same as above- can anyone decipher our lawyer's club room assignments?! What letters are where in the quad, how to tell which floor we're on, where are the bathrooms, etc?

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Thu May 13, 2010 9:33 pm

all i know is that the first number is your floor

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shlonster

Bronze

Post by Shlonster » Fri May 14, 2010 3:22 pm

For anyone who is wondering about LC rooms, here is the tiny tidbit I got....

The room is “L” shaped with the larger segment of the “L” measuring 13 x 14’ and the shorter leg of the “L” measuring 3’ x 9’ (this is often where student tuck their desk).

Mine is on the first floor, which is both a good and bad thing.

Mine faces north and has a view of the presidents house - I'd have to look at map to really have any idea what that means.

edit: picture - p.s. it's totally worth checking out the law quad on google earth.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri May 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Shlonster wrote:For anyone who is wondering about LC rooms, here is the tiny tidbit I got....

The room is “L” shaped with the larger segment of the “L” measuring 13 x 14’ and the shorter leg of the “L” measuring 3’ x 9’ (this is often where student tuck their desk).

Mine is on the first floor, which is both a good and bad thing.

Mine faces north and has a view of the presidents house - I'd have to look at map to really have any idea what that means.

edit: picture - p.s. it's totally worth checking out the law quad on google earth.

Here's some help for decoding, as mentioned:

1st Number = Floor Number.
2nd Number = Sorry, I don't know which corresponds to what, nor do I know if you'll have a quad or street view. I ended up having a 1st floor street view (which I was disappointed in initially), but ultimately worked out perfectly.. I think 2nd floors in most halls are shared, which means the bedrooms will face the street and the common room the inner part of the quad.

Blocks A-H are part of the northern part of this block (from the left to right), whereas block J (I think) is on the east (right) side, starting from the north and moving south as the letters progress.

Hope that helps somewhat!

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Fri May 14, 2010 9:38 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote: Here's some help for decoding, as mentioned:

2nd Number = Sorry, I don't know which corresponds to what, nor do I know if you'll have a quad or street view. I ended up having a 1st floor street view (which I was disappointed in initially), but ultimately worked out perfectly.. I think 2nd floors in most halls are shared, which means the bedrooms will face the street and the common room the inner part of the quad.

Blocks A-H are part of the northern part of this block (from the left to right), whereas block J (I think) is on the east (right) side, starting from the north and moving south as the letters progress.

Wow, it appears, then, that I have a pri-mo room! So excited!!

(And, hate to be a bother, but could someone please point me in the direction of the online exam bank? Thanks!!)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

(And, hate to be a bother, but could someone please point me in the direction of the online exam bank? Thanks!!)
Can you say gunner? What the hell do you need the exam bank for before class even starts or you know who your professor is?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Fri May 14, 2010 10:03 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

Can you say gunner? What the hell do you need the exam bank for before class even starts or you know who your professor is?
Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

You should have seen me when I visited Northwestern in March! I know more about Chicago than the locals!

Anyway, I just want to poke around, familiarize myself with the interface, and log the address in my book of all-things-Michigan.

Thus, if you would be so kind....

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Fri May 14, 2010 10:04 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

:lol: Boredom and desire to see what they look like?

And since it's the second time you've asked, it's on the library's website. If you need more than that you're not a very good gunner.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:09 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote: Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

You should have seen me when I visited Northwestern in March! I know more about Chicago than the locals!

Anyway, I just want to poke around, familiarize myself with the interface, and log the address in my book of all-things-Michigan.

I'll believe you...for now. Your lucky I saw this the other day while looking for Lexis for work. Log-in to M Law Live, go to Academics/Law Library, Law students tab, then Reserves and Exams.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Any prior military GI bill users in here? I need my fall course schedule to setup my gi bill with the university coordinator but the registrars office stopped answering my e-mails :-/ How did you all do it your 1L year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote: Lol, no you have me all wrong! I have this bizarre obsession with knowing where things are and what things are what before going anywhere.

I'll believe you...for now. Your lucky I saw this the other day while looking for Lexis for work. Log-in to M Law Live, go to Academics/Law Library, Law students tab, then Reserves and Exams.
Many thanks. I never would have found that.

Geat27

New

will answer your questions about the first year at Michigan

Post by Geat27 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:00 pm

I am a Michigan student who has just finished my 1L year. I'm staying up late working on (of all things) a law journal application. I'm volunteering to answer any questions about what the first year is like at Michigan in particular.

leftofthedial

New

Re: will answer your questions about the first year at Michigan

Post by leftofthedial » Sun May 16, 2010 11:06 pm

So is everyone still super nice and friendly after a year? Thanks.

goblue1646

New

Re: will answer your questions about the first year at Michigan

Post by goblue1646 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Are the classes super cutthroat hard? Also, did you live in the lawyers club and if you did, how was it? Thanks! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”