Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
brinicolec

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby brinicolec » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 pm

pbsdotcom wrote:Hi all, just got accepted! Super excited. Anyone here who deferred a year? if so, did they let you roll over any scholrship you were offered? Thanks!!

Edit: another question, is it necessary or even preferable to have a car at mich? Or can one go the three years without it? Thanks!

Don't know the answer to your first question but...

I like having my car, but I also don't like having to catch a ride and when it comes to carpooling, I prefer to be the driver, not the passenger. I think it's doable to go three years w/o a car though. There's uber and lyft here and, like I said, people carpool a lot. Lawopen (the LS listserv) will have messages of ppl offering/asking for rides to a variety of places (mainly Chicago, Detroit, the airport) and if orgs are doing some sort of outing that's farther away, they usually organize a carpool.

aladdinismyprince

Postby aladdinismyprince » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 am

brinicolec wrote:
pbsdotcom wrote:Hi all, just got accepted! Super excited. Anyone here who deferred a year? if so, did they let you roll over any scholrship you were offered? Thanks!!

Edit: another question, is it necessary or even preferable to have a car at mich? Or can one go the three years without it? Thanks!

I like having my car, but I also don't like having to catch a ride and when it comes to carpooling, I prefer to be the driver, not the passenger. I think it's doable to go three years w/o a car though. There's uber and lyft here and, like I said, people carpool a lot. Lawopen (the LS listserv) will have messages of ppl offering/asking for rides to a variety of places (mainly Chicago, Detroit, the airport) and if orgs are doing some sort of outing that's farther away, they usually organize a carpool.

I definitely would recommend a car. Michiganders like to drive, and all cities in this state (Ann Arbor) included were built for driving.

Can you absolutely survive without a car? Sure. As the above poster said, people carpool and you can uber/lyft. Your student ID will get you on the buses for free, but I found them very slow and fairly infrequent. I mostly would want a car for grocery shopping purposes. Trader Joes and Meijer are both a drive a way.

pbsdotcom

Postby pbsdotcom » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:14 am

aladdinismyprince wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I definitely would recommend a car. Michiganders like to drive, and all cities in this state (Ann Arbor) included were built for driving.

Can you absolutely survive without a car? Sure. As the above poster said, people carpool and you can uber/lyft. Your student ID will get you on the buses for free, but I found them very slow and fairly infrequent. I mostly would want a car for grocery shopping purposes. Trader Joes and Meijer are both a drive a way.

Thank you both! Very helpful. Would you say you mostly use your car for grocery shopping and going to airport, etc, or do most people live diving distance from campus? Or do you usually walk to school?

LawTweet

Postby LawTweet » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 am

If you live in the Lawyers Club, you definitely do not need a car. I live there and have my car and only just filled up my gas tank for the first time all semester last week. I only take my car to get groceries that I don't really need since I'm on the meal plan. It's mostly a waste of money for me.

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I looked into deferring, IIRC they lock in the aid but you aren't allowed to apply elsewhere. Just talk to someone in admissions (Joe Pollack and Mark Jefferson are both great if you haven't already talked to anyone).

A car is useful, mostly for groceries. There aren't any grocery stores within walking distance of campus (the Walgreens has, like, milk and cereal but that's it.) You can get by with ZipCar, Lyft, and public transportation, but a car is really helpful. Discount accordingly if you live in the LC.

littlelibertine wrote:Two questions:

1. What website do people in A2 use for housing? Hotpads? Padmapper? Trulia? Something else?

2. Where's good for living? My husband and I are both 30 and we would like to live near other older law students if possible, but if not, *away* from undergrads would be fine. We're old farts and we sleep early. ;)

Thank you guys so much!

I used Craigslist and Padmapper. Re: neighborhoods, I'd look west of campus, between State and Main. There are plenty of houses (and house-shares) in quiet-ish neighborhoods within walking distance from campus. PM me if you have questions about specifics.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”