Buffalo 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Diamond

Re: Buffalo 1L Taking Questions

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:27 am

kipwinger1980 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kipwinger1980 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I want to work in shit law, is Buffalo the school for me?
Well sir, I'm obviously not going to be able to piss as far as you, so I'll concede to your obviously brighter legal mind.

But, if you're interested in a side bet about who graduates with a better job, I'd be happy to discuss.
I dunno, NorthwesTTTern has some connection in the used BMW sales lots.

Also being trolled by the USS BP is a rite of passage for new questions threads.
I can take a little hazing, no problem. You just let me know if you want to take that side bet, darling.
With my UGPA its probably a bet I would lose.

kipwinger1980

New

Post by kipwinger1980 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:32 am

I can take a little hazing, no problem. You just let me know if you want to take that side bet, darling.[/quote]

With my UGPA its probably a bet I would lose.[/quote]

If you think UGPA has anything to do with your job prospects, you're more green than I had anticipated young grasshopper.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 am

kipwinger1980 wrote:I can take a little hazing, no problem. You just let me know if you want to take that side bet, darling.
With my UGPA its probably a bet I would lose.[/quote]

If you think UGPA has anything to do with your job prospects, you're more green than I had anticipated young grasshopper.[/quote]

No, but it means I'm a shitty student which means I'll probably do bad in law school, and that has everything to do with job prospects.

kipwinger1980

New

Post by kipwinger1980 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kipwinger1980 wrote:I can take a little hazing, no problem. You just let me know if you want to take that side bet, darling.
If you think UGPA has anything to do with your job prospects, you're more green than I had anticipated young grasshopper.[/quote]

No, but it means I'm a shitty student which means I'll probably do bad in law school, and that has everything to do with job prospects.[/quote]

Well, you are right in one regard - your law grades are the only thing that matter. Well, that and your connections, which I'm sure will be plentful at NW. But, all BS aside, I don't think anyone who is (a) being honest or (b) attending law school would admit that there is a stong correlation between undergrad performance and law school performance - it's a completely different monster, and a non-subjective monster at that.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:48 am

Do you have anything lined-up for this summer, Kipwinger? If so, would you mind sharing what that might be?

Any idea how OCI went for 2Ls in the fall? How many firms, which firms, etc. Any idea what percentage of 2Ls landed a mid or big law gig for the summer? When I say mid law I'm referring to Damon Morey, Harris Beach, Hodgson Russ, and the like. Big law, I guess, would be Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and NYC firms.

On a related note, what percentage of 3Ls would you say have mid or big law positions lined up for post-grad, in this economy?

How are the professors?

Could you elaborate on what is so great about the Dean?

Don't you think graduating T10% (or better) at UB will open up as many doors as graduating T50% at a school ranked 15-30? I would think the expected salaries in those instances are very similar. If you're looking for opportunities with more prestigious firms/clerkships and opportunities in bigger cities, T30 obviously takes the cake. I guess it all comes down to where you'd like to practice. If you don't want to practice in WNY, I think you should absolutely transfer up. But, if you prefer to stay in WNY post-grad, I think remaining at UB is an easy choice. Just my $.02.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kipwinger1980

New

Post by kipwinger1980 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:20 am

Last edited by kipwinger1980 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kipwinger1980

New

Post by kipwinger1980 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:22 am

In terms of this summer, I have some firms and federal judicial internship opportunities...

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:

No, but it means I'm a shitty student which means I'll probably do bad in law school, and that has everything to do with job prospects.[/quote]

So then why are you being such a dick?

You got into NW, congrats. Gives you no reason to go in the Buffalo thread and act like a douche.

jukeboxhero

New

Post by jukeboxhero » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:36 am

kittenmittons wrote:Fill in the blank:

If I want to slay some smokin 19 year old on a Wednesday night, I head to _____________ .

Haha a few years ago it woulda been PJ Bottoms, but they shut that down like it was a whorehouse!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYCbound96

New

Post by NYCbound96 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm

I've heard some conflicting things from people about housing. Do most people at UB Law live on campus? If so, would I be at a disadvantage, socially, by living in an apartment off-campus, but in the same neighborhood? What about with the weather? If I lived near by off a main road, would I be able to make it to class?

-Thanks in advance for any help :)

jukeboxhero

New

Post by jukeboxhero » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:41 am

NYCbound96 wrote:I've heard some conflicting things from people about housing. Do most people at UB Law live on campus? If so, would I be at a disadvantage, socially, by living in an apartment off-campus, but in the same neighborhood? What about with the weather? If I lived near by off a main road, would I be able to make it to class?

Not sure on what the percentages are, but UB typically has a high commuter rate. I live off campus, and if I attend, I won't live on campus...mostly because of cost and the fact that I don't want a roomate I don't know.

If you do live off campus, you will have to drive to class. Parking is a pain at the school, but nothing too bad...you can just park in a satellite lot and get the shuttle right to the academic complex so you don't have to wander to find a close parking spot.

I don't know that you would be at a "disadvantage" socially if you live off campus. You might not make as many friends in the short term, but I can assure you that you will meet plenty of people and make plenty of friends even if you live off campus.

The weather from August to October is great. The weather from November to mid-March blows. Then it gets better again from late April to August.

HTH

NYCbound96

New

Post by NYCbound96 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:24 pm

jukeboxhero wrote:
NYCbound96 wrote:I've heard some conflicting things from people about housing. Do most people at UB Law live on campus? If so, would I be at a disadvantage, socially, by living in an apartment off-campus, but in the same neighborhood? What about with the weather? If I lived near by off a main road, would I be able to make it to class?

Not sure on what the percentages are, but UB typically has a high commuter rate. I live off campus, and if I attend, I won't live on campus...mostly because of cost and the fact that I don't want a roomate I don't know.

If you do live off campus, you will have to drive to class. Parking is a pain at the school, but nothing too bad...you can just park in a satellite lot and get the shuttle right to the academic complex so you don't have to wander to find a close parking spot.

I don't know that you would be at a "disadvantage" socially if you live off campus. You might not make as many friends in the short term, but I can assure you that you will meet plenty of people and make plenty of friends even if you live off campus.

The weather from August to October is great. The weather from November to mid-March blows. Then it gets better again from late April to August.

HTH
Thanks! That really did help me out a lot! :D

jukeboxhero

New

Post by jukeboxhero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 pm

NYCbound96 wrote:
jukeboxhero wrote:

HTH
Thanks! That really did help me out a lot! :D
No prob. Good luck on your school choice!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:21 am

How do you think the Sabres will do in the playoffs?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:27 am

irish017 wrote:How do you think the Sabres will do in the playoffs?
Lose in east finals to Washington in 6

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:21 pm

sanpiero wrote:
Lose in east finals to Washington in 6
Agreed.

Maybe Miller gets them to game 7, then they lose tragically a la 2006.

jukeboxhero

New

Post by jukeboxhero » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:04 am

Depends on if they can get healthy enough. Right now they are a little bitten by the injury bug, but if Miller can play at his best, this team has a shot to at least get to the conference finals.

And yes, unfortunately, I see them losing in a resemblance of a Greek Tragedy. Happens to all Buffalo area teams.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 am

jukeboxhero wrote:Not sure on what the percentages are, but UB typically has a high commuter rate. I live off campus, and if I attend, I won't live on campus...mostly because of cost and the fact that I don't want a roomate I don't know.

HTH
Which neighborhoods in close proximity to North Campus are best to live in? I'd like to live as close as possible to the law school without having the pay the high prices on campus. Are housing prices on North as relatively high as I've heard (i.e. nothing reasonable for under 550-600/mo)? Dare I even ask if any neighborhoods around North are walkable? I don't usually associate this word with any neighborhood in Buffalo besides Elmwood but I figured I'd ask anyway. At the least, a Wegmans close nearby would be a necessity. TYIA

Indoctrinated

New

Post by Indoctrinated » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:18 am

^ sent you a pm

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm

jukeboxhero wrote:

Depends on if they can get healthy enough. Right now they are a little bitten by the injury bug, but if Miller can play at his best, this team has a shot to at least get to the conference finals.

And yes, unfortunately, I see them losing in a resemblance of a Greek Tragedy. Happens to all Buffalo area teams.
i'm hoping Hecht is back by the weekend.

NYCbound96

New

Post by NYCbound96 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Indoctrinated wrote:^ sent you a pm
Could you send me a copy of what you sent him? I was wondering about the same things. Thanks if you can! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jukeboxhero

New

Post by jukeboxhero » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 pm

sanpiero wrote:
jukeboxhero wrote:Not sure on what the percentages are, but UB typically has a high commuter rate. I live off campus, and if I attend, I won't live on campus...mostly because of cost and the fact that I don't want a roomate I don't know.

HTH
Which neighborhoods in close proximity to North Campus are best to live in? I'd like to live as close as possible to the law school without having the pay the high prices on campus. Are housing prices on North as relatively high as I've heard (i.e. nothing reasonable for under 550-600/mo)? Dare I even ask if any neighborhoods around North are walkable? I don't usually associate this word with any neighborhood in Buffalo besides Elmwood but I figured I'd ask anyway. At the least, a Wegmans close nearby would be a necessity. TYIA

If you definitely plan to live off campus, then there are a few neighborhoods you should consider. Please be advised, though, that there really aren't any neighborhoods within "walking distance". The ad wizards who designed North Campus literally put it in the middle of a big field, and the surrounding area really isn't "walkable" in the sense that it is a short stroll to the campus. However, the area is actually pretty safe, so walking around off campus isn't bad at all.

The surrounding communities to look for apartments would include Amherst, Getzville, and North Williamsville. There is a lot of college housing in the area, but be sure to stray from housing near South Campus, unless long commutes and late-night stabbings are your thing. (I'm kidding. Partially.) If you don't mind a long (15 min) commute, check out Elmwood and Allentown.

And since it is Buffalo, there is a Wegman's on just about every corner. Seriously.

Hope this helps, and PM me if you have any other Q's.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Buffalo just dropped out of the t100 schools. Yikes!

acash09

New

Post by acash09 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:15 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Buffalo just dropped out of the t100 schools. Yikes!
Definitely yikes.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:38 pm

acash09 wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Buffalo just dropped out of the t100 schools. Yikes!
Definitely yikes.
Buffalo isn't TTT and Syracuse is not T2...anyone buying into this and picks Syracuse over Buff has made a poor decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”