Buffalo 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kipwinger1980

Buffalo 1L Taking Questions

Postby kipwinger1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:57 am

Last edited by kipwinger1980 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurguzy

Re: Buffalo 1L Taking Questions

Postby kurguzy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Why do you want to transfer if you like it?

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 pm

I heard Buffalo doesn't rank students - not true? There was an article a couple years ago in the WSJ about it.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm thinking about Buffalo, even though I didn't get a full ride. What do you like most about the school?

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:41 pm

wakefield wrote:I heard Buffalo doesn't rank students - not true? There was an article a couple years ago in the WSJ about it.

They don't rank. You can estimate top 15% and top 25% based on your grades(they have an easy formula for it) though. When you put it on a resume you have to put estimated rank because they don't officially rank.

Did you live in Flint or know anyone who did? If so, are they nice?

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Last edited by kipwinger1980 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:11 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
wakefield wrote:I heard Buffalo doesn't rank students - not true? There was an article a couple years ago in the WSJ about it.

They don't rank. You can estimate top 15% and top 25% based on your grades(they have an easy formula for it) though. When you put it on a resume you have to put estimated rank because they don't officially rank.

Did you live in Flint or know anyone who did? If so, are they nice?

They only rank top 1-15% and then top 25% (or something like that). There is a formula provided. I think it's somewhat irrelevant becuase you generally send your transcripts as part of your quals, so employers can count the A's and A- for themselves. Without getting into too much detail, it hasn't cost me any opportunities for this summer.

Flint is actually okay, just make sure you pick your roommate. Creekside is nicer, I think. You'll love being so close to campus, but you'll hate being far away from all of the good bars, restatuants, parks, etc.
Last edited by kipwinger1980 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:19 pm

nycparalegal wrote:I'm thinking about Buffalo, even though I didn't get a full ride. What do you like most about the school?

What other schools are you considering?

I think if you’re getting any money from Buffalo, you should put it on your short list (depending on the other schools you are considering). The best thing the school has going for it is the Dean. I am willing to bet he boosts Buffalo's rating by 12-15 slots within 5 years. I've really enjoyed my professors and most of them seem amenable to developing relationships with you outside of the classroom. There are many clinics and local externships available as well. What's more, the community and region are in love with this school, so if you want to stay in this area (Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, and Cleveland) you'll be fine. I also think they are working on a new building either downtown, or on the more scenic South Campus - they will not go cheap on the new facilities. Other benefits are the student body - they are helpful, friendly and fun!

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Are classes still curved even without the rank or do you get whatever grade you earn?

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:46 pm

starchinkilt wrote:Are classes still curved even without the rank or do you get whatever grade you earn?

My understanding is the latter.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 pm

kipwinger1980 wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:Are classes still curved even without the rank or do you get whatever grade you earn?

My understanding is the latter.

Good to hear. Thanks for all the responses. I'm from the area and wouldn't mind working there after I graduate. On top of that, in-state tuition + $ means I'm 99.9% sure I'll be there next fall.

I know UB has a bunch of secondary journals to write on. If you don't make law review how hard is it to make it on a secondary journal?

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:25 pm

I know UB has a bunch of secondary journals to write on. If you don't make law review how hard is it to make it on a secondary journal?[/quote]

Journals are easy - show up to the informational meeting and sign up. They'll have you do a cite pack (legal research and citations) for a scholarly article, and provided you don't butcher it, you're in.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Native Buffalonian here, and although I am not crazy about sticking around here for the next three years, UB is such a good deal, I don't know if I can pass it up. Do you think that a J.D. from UB has any portability outside of WNY? I'm just afraid that attending UB will eliminate the possibility of jobs in NYC or other states due to its regional reputation. How do you feel UB's reputation is out of this area?

I'm glad to hear that the school isn't super cut throat, because I'm not a fan of that. Thanks in advance!

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm

TracyLynn wrote:Native Buffalonian here, and although I am not crazy about sticking around here for the next three years, UB is such a good deal, I don't know if I can pass it up. Do you think that a J.D. from UB has any portability outside of WNY? I'm just afraid that attending UB will eliminate the possibility of jobs in NYC or other states due to its regional reputation. How do you feel UB's reputation is out of this area?

I'm glad to hear that the school isn't super cut throat, because I'm not a fan of that. Thanks in advance!

Hello Native Buffalonian!

You're right, UB is a super deal, and if you're getting any money, it's a steal. Like I've said, 5-10 years down the road I'd be shocked if UB didn't creep into the low-60's or mid-50's (providing the new Dean remains on board). In terms of your prospects outside of WNY, NE Ohio and Upstate, NY, you're going to have some work to do. If you finish in the top of the class, make LR, dominate Moot Court, or have some good summer jobs, then your prospects are better. If you have some connections, or are able to build connections outside the region during your 1L and 2L summers, then your chances continue to increase.

There are plenty of UB attorney's in the big (and medium) law firms outside of the region, and if you're not into the cut throat scene, then you shouldn't aspire to biglaw anyway. Also, the federal courts are littered with UB alums, including some 2d and 3d Cir. justices.

However, if you got into a much better school, I wouldn't make the decision only on the low sticker price.

Hope that helps...let me know if you have anything else!

stoicjustice

Postby stoicjustice » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 pm

How are the job prospects as far as you can see with 2 and 3Ls? Are things as bad there as they are everywhere else? There are reports of only 20 or 30% of t14 grads that can find jobs - are things similar at UB?

If offered a full ride scholarship to Hofstra, Vermont, and UB - and a healthy scholarship ($30k expected graduation debt) from Seton Hall - would you have made the same decision?

feblsat10

Postby feblsat10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Please do not accept offers to go to UB! It is my #1 DREAM SCHOOL!!! :mrgreen:

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Last edited by kipwinger1980 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:25 pm

Fill in the blank:

If I want to slay some smokin 19 year old on a Wednesday night, I head to _____________ .

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 pm

I want to work in shit law, is Buffalo the school for me?

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:53 pm

stoicjustice wrote:How are the job prospects as far as you can see with 2 and 3Ls? Are things as bad there as they are everywhere else? There are reports of only 20 or 30% of t14 grads that can find jobs - are things similar at UB?

If offered a full ride scholarship to Hofstra, Vermont, and UB - and a healthy scholarship ($30k expected graduation debt) from Seton Hall - would you have made the same decision?

Part 1:

It's still somewhat early (given the economy), but most of the 3L's that I'm friends with seem to have something lined up, or at least the prospect of something lined up. People are getting deferred offers from firms, and many others are looking into public sector jobs to get tangible experience so they are desirable hires when the market turns around. In aggregate, I think UB grads are in a comparable position to many other schools. Of course, that T14 label makes you pretty marketable. The advantage people at UB have, however, is that many graduates stick around the region where the UB brand is very strong, unlike T14 who generally compete nationally.

Part 2:

I wouldn't go to Vermont unless I planned on living in Vermont for the rest of my life, and maybe not even then. Also, and maybe I'm being bias, but I think UB is a school on the rise (primarily because of the new Dean, new hires, and a new building), so I would pick it over Hofstra. In terms of Seaton Hall, I'd say if you have your heart set on working in NYC, then you might want to pick Seaton Hall because it will probably be easier to get a job in NYC, and you might be able to qualify for more aid your second and third year. But, don't forget about the potential cost of living differential, which might add to your debt projection. If NYC isn't your utmost concern, I'd say UB on a free ride is the best choice for you. Also, a UB education does not preclude a NYC job, but you will have to work hard here to get a big-time job out there (See generally my previous posts).

Hope this is helpful...

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I want to work in shit law, is Buffalo the school for me?

Well sir, I'm obviously not going to be able to piss as far as you, so I'll concede to your obviously brighter legal mind.

But, if you're interested in a side bet about who graduates with a better job, I'd be happy to discuss.

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Fill in the blank:

If I want to slay some smokin 19 year old on a Wednesday night, I head to _____________ .

Craigslist

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:07 am

hahah. Kipwinger is a funny guy. Way to slay the 0L and your class rankage.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:22 am

kipwinger1980 wrote:

Well sir, I'm obviously not going to be able to piss as far as you, so I'll concede to your obviously brighter legal mind.

But, if you're interested in a side bet about who graduates with a better job, I'd be happy to discuss.

I dunno, NorthwesTTTern has some connection in the used BMW sales lots.

Also being trolled by the USS BP is a rite of passage for new questions threads.

kipwinger1980

Postby kipwinger1980 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:26 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kipwinger1980 wrote:

I dunno, NorthwesTTTern has some connection in the used BMW sales lots.

Also being trolled by the USS BP is a rite of passage for new questions threads.

I can take a little hazing, no problem. You just let me know if you want to take that side bet, darling.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”