Santa Clara 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Great Satchmo

Silver

Re: Santa Clara 1L taking questions

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm concerned about SCU employment statistics being skewed toward those who have technical backgrounds/graduate degrees (IP). What are the prospects for someone looking into business/corporate law, without a tech background (beyond almost a minor in computer science, haha). Basically, how does the normal student fair?

Do you have any sense of placement in competition with USF?

SCU is on the list, but my main concern is going without the technical background and finding out that it wasn't worth it over USF with a larger scholarship for business/corporate interest.

Thanks!

By the way - Go 'Quakes!

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 am

Great Satchmo wrote:I'm concerned about SCU employment statistics being skewed toward those who have technical backgrounds/graduate degrees (IP). What are the prospects for someone looking into business/corporate law, without a tech background (beyond almost a minor in computer science, haha). Basically, how does the normal student fair?

Do you have any sense of placement in competition with USF?

SCU is on the list, but my main concern is going without the technical background and finding out that it wasn't worth it over USF with a larger scholarship for business/corporate interest.

Thanks!

By the way - Go 'Quakes!
Definitely don't go to USF, SCU is a way better school (objectively) and USF is in the worst legal market in the US right now with the collapse of SF's two largest firms.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:55 pm

joebruin999 wrote:
Definitely don't go to USF, SCU is a way better school (objectively) and USF is in the worst legal market in the US right now with the collapse of SF's two largest firms.
Since posting, I've definitely focused in more on SCU for a number of reasons.

Question - I am looking at, broadly, business/corporate law and I'm concerned that I will be overshadowed at SCU without a specifically tech/IP background. Do you get that sense?

Thanks!

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
joebruin999 wrote:
Since posting, I've definitely focused in more on SCU for a number of reasons.

Question - I am looking at, broadly, business/corporate law and I'm concerned that I will be overshadowed at SCU without a specifically tech/IP background. Do you get that sense?

Thanks!
I definitely don't get that sense; good luck!

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 am

Any more?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queue

New

Post by queue » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:54 pm

joebruin999 wrote:Any more?
Random question: Does anyone commute down from San Francisco? [Edit] Also, related to commuting, what is a typical 1L schedule? I couldn't find one on the website. [/Edit]

[Edit Edit] 1L spring schedules are here: http://law.scu.edu/studentservices/sche ... g_2010.cfm [/Edit Edit]
Last edited by queue on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:41 pm

queue wrote:
Random question: Does anyone commute down from San Francisco?
As a disclaimer: I am not student there, or any other law school.

I live in San Francisco about 4 blocks from the 280 on-ramp, which is the less congested freeway for reverse commuting to the peninsula/south bay.

I was working at Stanford, which is probably another 10-15 minutes north of SCU, and my office was just off of 280, so it was a very direct commute. I also took Caltrain somewhat often, but it ended up eating a lot of my day getting to the train, driving from the station to my office, and the actual ride (it's a 70 minute, or something like that, ride unless you catch a baby bullet, which only run during rush hour).

My advice: do not do it.

Many people commute from SF to the peninsula and bay area, you'll see tons of Google people and other techies. Some people can do it, and some people can't (including me apparently). However, even given that variability in threshold for commute, I can't imagine starting out law school and spending 2 hours-ish a day commuting, and being that far from the bulk of the student community.

That said, it's definitely an option, but I'd wait for 2L or 3L to give it a try.

queue

New

Post by queue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
queue wrote:
Random question: Does anyone commute down from San Francisco?
As a disclaimer: I am not student there, or any other law school.

I live in San Francisco about 4 blocks from the 280 on-ramp, which is the less congested freeway for reverse commuting to the peninsula/south bay.

I was working at Stanford, which is probably another 10-15 minutes north of SCU, and my office was just off of 280, so it was a very direct commute. I also took Caltrain somewhat often, but it ended up eating a lot of my day getting to the train, driving from the station to my office, and the actual ride (it's a 70 minute, or something like that, ride unless you catch a baby bullet, which only run during rush hour).

My advice: do not do it.

Many people commute from SF to the peninsula and bay area, you'll see tons of Google people and other techies. Some people can do it, and some people can't (including me apparently). However, even given that variability in threshold for commute, I can't imagine starting out law school and spending 2 hours-ish a day commuting, and being that far from the bulk of the student community.

That said, it's definitely an option, but I'd wait for 2L or 3L to give it a try.
My partner and I currently live and work in the City. The other options are to move down there and have my partner commute up, or to split the difference and both commute. So far the ‘reverse’ commute seems like the best option if I go to Santa Clara. Thanks for the feedback.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:28 pm

hello...159 3.38 from Michigan...do i have a shot?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mkj123

New

Post by mkj123 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:27 pm

how about real estate law? given that santa clara is big on ip and international law, i am curious about how those interested in real estate law do in terms of job prospects. this might be a difficult question but any insight would be greatly appreciated!

cyberPUNK

New

Post by cyberPUNK » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 am

I'm looking to specialize in International Business Transactions and wondering if you think SCU provides the means by which to pursue a career in that field. The summer internships abroad (particularly in Tokyo and Hong Kong) are one of the main reasons I'm very interested in SCU, as they seem to fall in line with this goal.

Aside from that, great thread. Also, glad to hear the campus is a nice as UCLA's.

Oh, and seeing as your avatar is soccer related, I'm wondering if there is a recreational soccer league in the area one could join. I enjoy pick up games, but a Sunday league would also be great.

Cheers.

Foxxtrot

New

Post by Foxxtrot » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:21 pm

cyberPUNK wrote:I'm looking to specialize in International Business Transactions and wondering if you think SCU provides the means by which to pursue a career in that field. The summer internships abroad (particularly in Tokyo and Hong Kong) are one of the main reasons I'm very interested in SCU, as they seem to fall in line with this goal.

Aside from that, great thread. Also, glad to hear the campus is a nice as UCLA's.

Oh, and seeing as your avatar is soccer related, I'm wondering if there is a recreational soccer league in the area one could join. I enjoy pick up games, but a Sunday league would also be great.

Cheers.
+1

This is good to know.

pinkitt

New

Post by pinkitt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:25 pm

How's job situation for patent attorney?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cale39

New

Post by Cale39 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:00 am

I'm currently working in the Valley (Mtn View) at a tech company. They are offering to let me work part-time during the school year if I am so inclined. Is this something that may be possible? Does one have class 5 days per week? I'd probably have to show face 1 MAYBE 2 days in the office and the rest I could telecommute.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:55 am

Cale39 wrote:I'm currently working in the Valley (Mtn View) at a tech company. They are offering to let me work part-time during the school year if I am so inclined. Is this something that may be possible? Does one have class 5 days per week? I'd probably have to show face 1 MAYBE 2 days in the office and the rest I could telecommute.
Prob more possible if you do the PT program. Your schedule is going to be crazy if you go to school full time and work part time.

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:19 am

Any insight on the public interest/civil rights programs? Are professors very "open-door policy"? How is the competitiveness of the students? Is competitiveness a word? It's late here.

vl2104

New

Post by vl2104 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 pm

pinkitt wrote:How's job situation for patent attorney?
Like to know this too.
Joe, would you be able to put us in contact with any IP oriented classmates who would be willing to offer their 1L summer job search perspective?
Can PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 am

joonhp wrote:hello...159 3.38 from Michigan...do i have a shot?
Probably a coin toss.

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 am

mkj123 wrote:how about real estate law? given that santa clara is big on ip and international law, i am curious about how those interested in real estate law do in terms of job prospects. this might be a difficult question but any insight would be greatly appreciated!
There are a couple real estate law classes, but other than that, I'm not sure what else SCU offers.

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:42 am

cyberPUNK wrote:I'm looking to specialize in International Business Transactions and wondering if you think SCU provides the means by which to pursue a career in that field. The summer internships abroad (particularly in Tokyo and Hong Kong) are one of the main reasons I'm very interested in SCU, as they seem to fall in line with this goal.

Cheers.
Yeah, there are law school pick up games that are typically between 5 and 10 a side, on Wednesdays and Sundays, and I also play in a Sunday Men's league. The summer abroad programs are really good, and look great on resumes considering real work is hard to come by ITTET. The SCU study abroad programs are definitely helpful if you're looking to specialize in IBT, and we have quite a few int'l law classes.

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:44 am

pinkitt wrote:How's job situation for patent attorney?
Not too sure, neither I nor any of my friends are looking to get into patent law, but the SCU career services website has quite a few externships available to students, Apple and HP are two big names that come to mind, though there were a dozen? probably last time I checked that were specifically patent law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:45 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
Cale39 wrote:I'm currently working in the Valley (Mtn View) at a tech company. They are offering to let me work part-time during the school year if I am so inclined. Is this something that may be possible? Does one have class 5 days per week? I'd probably have to show face 1 MAYBE 2 days in the office and the rest I could telecommute.
Prob more possible if you do the PT program. Your schedule is going to be crazy if you go to school full time and work part time.
TITCR. 1L's are only allowed to work up to 10 hours a week in the full-time program. Classes for 1Ls meet 5 days a week.

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 am

v. dentata wrote:Any insight on the public interest/civil rights programs? Are professors very "open-door policy"? How is the competitiveness of the students? Is competitiveness a word? It's late here.
Like all law schools, you have a couple gunners in every class, but overall, I feel the atmosphere isn't too competitive, and your 1L section is where most of your friends will come from. There are also a couple public interest/civil rights programs that sound interesting, but because I am looking to go into entertainment law, I won't likely spend much time in any of them. The Northern California Innocence Project is an excellent experience I've been told, and I'll likely volunteer some time there if I have any extra.

Competitiveness is a word. To me at least.

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:50 am

More Q's?

Bearcat

New

Post by Bearcat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 am

Thanks for answering questions. I still have not heard back from SCU yet but I'm hoping for good news soon.

How is the employment prospect for entertainment law? Are you planning on relocating to SoCal or are you going to be looking for work in the Bay Area?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”