Santa Clara 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
quickquestionthanks

Silver

Re: Santa Clara 1L taking questions

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:15 am

joebruin999 wrote:More Q's?
Thanks for getting our attention from the other thread.

I'm interested in high tech (not patent) stuff, like the management of startups or even corporate venturing. I'm not sure, even if I do a entrepreneurship/high tech clinic, what type of jobs to go looking for post grad.

One thing I thought of was working for a VC as an associate doing due diligence and researching deals. Is that a fairly common career route? Could you speak more to what type of practice someone does at a Silicon Valley firm outside of IP stuff?

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:20 am

Bearcat wrote:Thanks for answering questions. I still have not heard back from SCU yet but I'm hoping for good news soon.

How is the employment prospect for entertainment law? Are you planning on relocating to SoCal or are you going to be looking for work in the Bay Area?
Definitely going back to Los Angeles after I graduate. I have an externship with a record company in this summer, so finding work down south isn't tremendously difficult as long as you a) look for the work yourself rather than rely on career services and b) go down to L.A. to interview

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:22 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
joebruin999 wrote:More Q's?
Thanks for getting our attention from the other thread.

I'm interested in high tech (not patent) stuff, like the management of startups or even corporate venturing. I'm not sure, even if I do a entrepreneurship/high tech clinic, what type of jobs to go looking for post grad.

One thing I thought of was working for a VC as an associate doing due diligence and researching deals. Is that a fairly common career route? Could you speak more to what type of practice someone does at a Silicon Valley firm outside of IP stuff?
To be quite honest, I have no idea. Morgan Dain in law career services is super helpful, and if you send her an email at mdain@scu.edu I'm sure she will get back to you soon.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:18 pm

how do most students pay for Santa Clara's study broad/internship programs? (i noticed the sydney classes + internship program cost 20 thou)

are there scholarship opportunities for these?

StoneontaState

New

Post by StoneontaState » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm looking at the High Tech Law program. Do you know if most people in that were science/engineering majors in undergrad? I hear you have to be Science/Engineering to get a job in IP in Silicone Valley.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 am

uwb09 wrote:how do most students pay for Santa Clara's study broad/internship programs? (i noticed the sydney classes + internship program cost 20 thou)

are there scholarship opportunities for these?
I have no idea, though a lot of people I know are doing it. I'm 95% sure its through loans.

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:40 am

StoneontaState wrote:I'm looking at the High Tech Law program. Do you know if most people in that were science/engineering majors in undergrad? I hear you have to be Science/Engineering to get a job in IP in Silicone Valley.
Only honest answers here. Not sure, I'm looking to go into entertainment law. But I'm pretty sure you don't need to be s/e as the President of a club on campus I'm pretty good friends with is going into IP with a PoliSci background.

Joy_Deknarak

New

Post by Joy_Deknarak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Thank you for all answers, it helps me a lot :)

Hi, I think I'm going to SCU very sure now.

Is there a lot of Asian people there?
Do you know any Thai-people there? (Just for my interest)

Do you have any ideas where is a good place to live off-campus? What is the average rent? (approx)

Indeed I don't have a car. Is public transportation good there, is it available at night also?

If I am to have a car, is the auto-insurance expensive there (I heard it is 1000+ per month T_T for people 21-25)?

I'm not picky about job at all but is it hard to get the job that paid you like $50000 per year for international student? Is OCI doing a good job to help student land a decent job?

Thank you so much for answering :)

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Thanks for answering questions

There are rumors that the median starting salary stats for Santa Clara is skewed because of all the high-paying patent lawyer jobs in the valley. Is this true? Do you know anyone going into private practice making over 100K? Is it possible to go biglaw from SCU? Any numbers with that?

Also, do you know any dean's fellows (full schollies)? Do you know what they did to get that offer?

Thanks again

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:50 pm

Joy_Deknarak wrote:If I am to have a car, is the auto-insurance expensive there (I heard it is 1000+ per month T_T for people 21-25)?
:shock: If my car insurance went from $65 to $1000, I'd be pretty upset.

cyberPUNK

New

Post by cyberPUNK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:49 am

I highly doubt auto-insurance is anywhere near $1000 a month, maybe in Afghanistan...

Personally, I'm going to try to land an apartment through the university since I plan on studying abroad a lot and hopefully get by with a bike. Looked at google maps and seems there are a few grocery stores around, so I'm not sweating a car. Summer before 3L though I'll probably buy one.

Joy_Deknarak

New

Post by Joy_Deknarak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:19 pm

What is the nearest BANK close to the SCU?
Chase? Nationalcity? Bank of America? I have to move my money from my previous bank - -"

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Joy_Deknarak wrote:What is the nearest BANK close to the SCU?
Chase? Nationalcity? Bank of America? I have to move my money from my previous bank - -"
There is a BofA right across from the main campus entrance, a Wells Fargo about a block from the northwest corner of the school, and a Chase about a mile from campus. There are also BofA ATMs on campus and a credit union ATM in the basement of the main student center, but which union I'm unsure of.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:12 pm

More questions? I know seat deposits were just due.

Joy_Deknarak

New

Post by Joy_Deknarak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:27 pm

joebruin999 wrote:More questions? I know seat deposits were just due.
Yes, the 3-4 questions that I ask after your last posts :)

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:09 am

Is there a lot of Asian people there?
Do you know any Thai-people there? (Just for my interest)
A few asians, I don't know any Thai, though if you go a mile or two off campus there are larger asian communities.

Do you have any ideas where is a good place to live off-campus? What is the average rent? (approx)
Average is around 7-900, assuming you get a roommate.

Indeed I don't have a car. Is public transportation good there, is it available at night also?
Better to have a car.

If I am to have a car, is the auto-insurance expensive there (I heard it is 1000+ per month T_T for people 21-25)?
Insurance is not that expensive.

I'm not picky about job at all but is it hard to get the job that paid you like $50000 per year for international student? Is OCI doing a good job to help student land a decent job?
No idea about OCI's yet, I'm a 1L. Jobs during the year are hard to find. We're in a recession.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:20 am

Joy_Deknarak wrote:What is the nearest BANK close to the SCU?
Are you serious? What do you need a brick & mortar bank for?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 am

Yes.

Classrooms/Buildings:
I visited recently, and was curious what the deal is with the different buildings. The class I sat in on was in Bannan Hall. Is Bannan just for the Law School? And are there any classes held in Bergin Hall or is it basically just faculty & administration offices? It seems like law students also do their studying in the undergrad library as its pretty new, is this the case?

Housing:
What do consider to be the ideal place to live. The city of Santa Clara doesn't strike me as having a lot going on. What do you think about students living in Mountain View, Palo Alto, SF, or other places?

snowbunny87

New

Post by snowbunny87 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:04 pm

what's the grading curve like? i've heard it's pretty harsh and really difficult to come out of your first year with a good gpa.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm

If you are thinking about trying to live in San Francisco and taking the train down, BE CAUTIOUS.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/tra ... y_id=60868

There is a good chance that service will be cut DRASTICALLY.

Just an FYI.
Last edited by Great Satchmo on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:37 am

Great Satchmo wrote:To everyone thinking about living in San Francisco:
Thanks for the info.
Here's a full story linked from that article: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/04/07/ca ... -launches/
Would be a bummer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:If you are thinking about trying to live in San Francisco and taking the train down, BE CAUTIOUS.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/tra ... y_id=60868

There is a good chance that service will be cut DRASTICALLY.

Just an FYI.

I pity the fool who applied to SCU thinking they're gonna live in SF.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm

superflush wrote:
Yes.

Classrooms/Buildings:
I visited recently, and was curious what the deal is with the different buildings. The class I sat in on was in Bannan Hall. Is Bannan just for the Law School? And are there any classes held in Bergin Hall or is it basically just faculty & administration offices? It seems like law students also do their studying in the undergrad library as its pretty new, is this the case?

Housing:
What do consider to be the ideal place to live. The city of Santa Clara doesn't strike me as having a lot going on. What do you think about students living in Mountain View, Palo Alto, SF, or other places?
Bannan is just for the law school now (construction kicked out the other departments).
Bergin Hall is basically faculty and admin but a few classes may be held in the moot court room (ie a torts class).
Law students use both libraries. Because the law school is on the semester system and the UG is on quarter, there are periods when that library is EMPTY....but when it gets overcrowded people usually relocate back to Heafey Law Lib

Housing: Living closer to campus is good for meeting people and connecting with your classmates. That being said, plenty of people live further away. I wouldn't recommend more than 30 min. Those who lived in SF had a hard time as 1Ls but seemed to balance it better as 2L/3Ls

anon2

New

Post by anon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm also at Santa Clara and am going to make a few statements of my view and random thoughts. This is in the perspective of someone who plans to go into IP law.

Paid jobs are tough right now, both for 3L's and 2L's, I don't know the numbers but I don't think it's very high. That being said, there are also a lot of people who transferred to higher ranking schools and they probably did get paid jobs. This means that a lot of students who got jobs also probably transferred (this is speculation). Some 3L's and 2L's do get paid jobs though. Summer jobs if you include unpaid internships/externships probably most everyone gets something.

For IP litigation, many people that I know who gets jobs in this field do have a science/engineering background but I do know of several who did not have that background and got IP litigation paid summers/offers. I know people who didn't try for it because they didn't have a science background but I think that is a mistake.

I dont know any stats on jobs here but i heard UC berkeley graduates only have 40% with paid jobs this year, so I'm guessing SCU is much lower (this is all hearsay / roomer).

As for the school, you can get a really good legal education here. I also felt that SCU was more competitive than my friend's law schools.

SCU is still pretty prestigious to local firms even though the rankings dropped.

You should try to pass the patent bar before you come to law school because it is hard to find time to take it.

I am glad I went to law school here. I could have transferred to a much better ranked school and did not. I do not regret going here but I'm also doing better than the average.

Gluck on ur decisions

Joy_Deknarak

New

Post by Joy_Deknarak » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Has anyone known that Santa Clara dropped to 93th and the IP ranking is out of top 10 already?

I already put the deposit in and probably go there;

You think the law firm will rate Santa Clara bad because of the ranking? in Silicon Valley and in CA?
For those of you who attend it for years, or see the trend of the ranking, you think the trend is increasing or decreasing next year?

Still, is Santa Clara a good school? - -" Will it become TTT next year?
Why the ranking for IP goes down? T_T

This thing just worries me T_T

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”