Will you have time to take care of a dog as a 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
echoi

Re: Will you have time to take care of a dog as a 1L?

Postby echoi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
echoi wrote:also consider that even if you get it trained before school starts, puppies are still going to require lots of attention from you to be happy. i would really recommend getting an older dog from a rescue that can be by itself while you're studying/in class without getting lonely.

also, get a male dog. they tend to be more obedient and trainable than female dogs in my experience.

how many times have you experienced this? Ive experienced the exact opposite with like 9 or 10 dogs between my family, friends, and roommates

really? it might have just been the breeds then.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:06 pm

echoi wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:
echoi wrote:also consider that even if you get it trained before school starts, puppies are still going to require lots of attention from you to be happy. i would really recommend getting an older dog from a rescue that can be by itself while you're studying/in class without getting lonely.

also, get a male dog. they tend to be more obedient and trainable than female dogs in my experience.

how many times have you experienced this? Ive experienced the exact opposite with like 9 or 10 dogs between my family, friends, and roommates

also, an alpha female will be more difficult than a male that is a runt, for instance

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:10 am

sdegarmo wrote:

+1, i've always had females, just adopted a male puppy about 6 months ago and he is a little brat. a cute brat, but a brat nonetheless.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:16 am

I am at NU and have quite a few friends that have dogs. Sadly, I left my dogs with my parents as they are used to having a yard to roam around in and the ability to take bathroom breaks whenever they please.

stad2234

Postby stad2234 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:37 pm

I myself just bought a male german shepherd that I intend on bringing to law school this fall. As other people have mentioned I would definitely recommend getting one sooner than later so that you can have the time to develop a solid bond/relationship and train the little pup. I would also recommend getting the puppy use to you being gone for several hours at a time so that he/she wont have separation anxiety when you have to leave for class. I honestly don't think it is impossible to have a dog during law school. My little GSD will require more exercise and work then most dogs b/c he comes from working dog bloodlines and Im not worried at all about having him during school. Just be sure to set aside the time to give them plenty of exercise and attention-even if it means waking up a little early in the AM take him/her for a walk. Good luck!

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:38 pm

I just asked my dog. He said yes, then curled back up on his pillow and went to sleep.

Just make sure to figure out what you are going to do with your dog over christmas and the summer a good deal in advance. Then make sure to have a back-up plan.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:39 pm

echoi wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

It could also be neutered v. non-neutered.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”