Correlation btwn admissions experience & school experience

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lt0826

Correlation btwn admissions experience & school experience

Postby lt0826 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:46 am

I am curious if those of you attending law school now noticed any correlation between your experience with the admissions office while applying and your experience at the school when you got there.

Some admissions offices are very friendly, efficient, and helpful - others don't respond to emails and are very bureaucratic. Once you got to the school did you find you school that had a helpful admissions office ended up being friendly to the students when you got there? Did you notice the less helpful and/or more bureaucratic offices meant the school itself was less approachable and more bureaucratic once you got there as well?

Just wondering if I should put any weight on my experience with dealing with the admissions office when deciding between schools. . .

vanwinkle

Re: Correlation btwn admissions experience & school experience

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:10 am

I was shocked by the amount of mid-afternoon drinking going on at UVA during admitted students day.

I'm not shocked by the amount of mid-afternoon drinking going on at UVA now, but only because I'd seen it already. :wink:

lt0826

Re: Correlation btwn admissions experience & school experience

Postby lt0826 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I visited Virginia when I was interning in DC -- the school had a great feel to it I have to say. Everyone was very friendly. I sat in on a contracts class, which for those who know me, is maybe what I would expect to be one of the more boring parts of law. The professor for that class made it very interesting and entertaining. I was shocked. VA has been high on my list because of the campus feel when I visited.

However I haven't had much experience with their admissions office yet.

Georgetown has surprised me because I sent them two emails in the last two weeks that haven't received a response - and no, it wasn't of the "what is the status of my app?" variety. Whereas Wash U has been super prompt, friendly, even showing a little bit of personality in their emailed responses. So while I started off preferring Georgetown over Wash U, I am less sure now. OTOH, Georgetown may just be swamped and their lack of response may not reflect on future experiences at the school at all.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”